Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Talisman wrote: »
    And you are wrong on that assertion also.

In terms of minutes played in the Championship this season:

Harry Wilson : 1730 minutes played
    Tammy Abraham : 1884 minutes played (154 minutes more : ~2 games)
    Che Adam : 2175 minutes played (445 minutes more : ~5 games)
    Neal Maupay : 2219 minutes played (489 minutes more : ~6 games)
    Jarrod Bowen : 2366 minutes played (636 minutes more : ~7 games)

I get that you don't think he's good enough to play a role at Liverpool but don't expect to be able to spout nonsense about the player and not get called out on it.

And don't forget Mahrez. He's had the most time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Who was the last young player to go on loan and then make it at Liverpool?

Look at all our recent young players who came through Trent, Gomes ( I know we bought him after he'd already played senor games), Sterling , Owen ,Fowler, Gerrard , Carragher none ever went on loan .
    Unless I'm forgetting someone ?

But there are some who loan's helped in the Prem like Kane and Lingard but it hasn't really happened at Liverpool

He signed a 5 year contract at the start of the season. I know that can be used to keep a players value but I think he'll get a chance. Klopp told him to prove himself in the Championship and he'll get a chance.

Training with the first team and with Klopp's style will improve some of those stats. We need someone who can score from outside the box against teams defending with numbers. Klopp has a couple of different tactics he uses and Wilson would fit into at least one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Rangers want Lalanaanalanana, he's another that will leave in summer for 15m plus. We have at least 100m of deadwood to move on in summer. If we can move this lot and sign 3 actual capable players we'd only be stronger for it

Lallana 15m
    Moreno 20m
    Henderson 25m
    Lovern 20m
    Sturridge 10m
    Mignolet 10m

Hendo and Lovren are going absolutely nowhere.

Why do people keep trying to sell them; bar one or two displays that are both upper-middle tier players. You need these players in your team.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

ERG89 wrote: »
    If you can get 30 million for players out of contract then well done to you :confused:

It's one of Toby's superpowers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Can't see anybody paying 15m for Lallana either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Who has had a similar injury before and not returned the same player out of curiosity? I’d be fairly optimistic Ox will come back as strong as he was. You’d forget we still have him, he’d have been some addition this season.

Wilson replaces lallana for me. Younger, cheaper and I would argue similar standard with Wilson obviously a higher ceiling. A poster a few pages back mentioned we are above his level now, and should have a squad of great players. Although that is fair to a point, United have won titles with the likes of O’Shea, Phil Neville, Gibson & Sung playing big roles so I don’t think we are above having young hungry talented players like Wilson in the squad, at least for 1 season to see how much game time he gets.

What’s the chances of Neves leaving Wolves for a bigger team this summer? He’d be great in our midfield with his passing ability.

I was crying out for us to sign Neves when he was at Porto. He'd be a great fit at Liverpool. The closest player to Alonso since he left.

Unfortunately he's going to be very expensive and think Klopp would rather splurge on an attacking player if the club are gonna get the cheque book out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Tammy Abraham : 22 appearances, 17 goals
    A centre forward.

Neal Maupay : 28 appearances, 16 goals
    Another centre forward.

Che Adams : 28 appearances, 14 goals
    Another centre forward and his middle name is Everton - we won't be signing him. :)

Jarrod Bowen : 28 appearances, 14 goals
    A winger who has hit a purple patch - 10 goals in his last 9 games. 4 goals in the preceding 19 games paints a different picture.

As far as I'm aware nobody in their right mind has suggested we should sign any of those players. They've all scored more goals and almost all have played more games or a different position than Wilson.

Harry Wilson : 22 appearances : 10 goals
    A winger who is already a Liverpool player - there's nothing to lose trying to develop him.

Right, I'm going to be the pedant on this one..........

[IMG]https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/<a href=https:/// target=_blank>[/img]4e61c8f55844dbd64421dd6015943b51-full.jpg [URL="https:///"]4e61c8f55844dbd64421dd6015943b51-full.jpg[/URL] free photo hosting
    imuT5Xh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    The past isn't always a strong indicator of a future possibility. The game has changed so much since fowler, Owen etc.
    I would think Kane would show that players can go on loan and come back.
    Not necessarily backing Wilson in any way though. Nor am I doubting him.

Can you think of anyone other than Kane and Lingard at the top teams to go on loan and make it , there may be ones I just can't think of any.,

Kane actually done quite poor on loan to which is strange ,

magma69 wrote: »
    I was crying out for us to sign Neves when he was at Porto. He'd be a great fit at Liverpool. The closest player to Alonso since he left.

Unfortunately he's going to be very expensive and think Klopp would rather splurge on an attacking player if the club are gonna get the cheque book out.

You'd also have to deal with Jorge Mendes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Hendo and Lovren are going absolutely nowhere.

Why do people keep trying to sell them; bar one or two displays that are both upper-middle tier players. You need these players in your team.

Both solid back up players. Have the ability to play a role at any successful club. There's this myth that people have bought into that they're both liabilities but it's rubbish imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Knex. wrote: »
    Can't see anybody paying 15m for Lallana either.

Anything to be said for giving Eddie Howe a ring ???

I wish he kept fit the last 18 months as he was great under Klopp before that as I had him completely written off under Rodgers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Who was the last young player to go on loan and then make it at Liverpool?

Look at all our recent young players who came through Trent, Gomes ( I know we bought him after he'd already played senor games), Sterling , Owen ,Fowler, Gerrard , Carragher none ever went on loan .
    Unless I'm forgetting someone ?

Origi?

8-10 wrote: »
    Origi?

2 starts this season and gone in the summer sums it up really ,
    Although one of those goals may be crucial and fingers crossed he get a few more that count ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

8-10 wrote: »
    Origi?

Don't think he's 'made it', they tried to push him out the door in the summer and will likely be trying to again in a few months.

I'd also be of the opinion that Wilson's chances of being part of the squad next year are slim, Grujic I'd throw into the same category.
    We'll be lucky if any of our current youth prospects make it but some fans always believe the youth will produce and be a larger part of the squad when history says otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,649 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

magma69 wrote: »
    Both solid back up players. Have the ability to play a role at any successful club. There's this myth that people have bought into that they're both liabilities but it's rubbish imo.

Id include Mig in that group . Solid back up keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Can you think of anyone other than Kane and Lingard at the top teams to go on loan and make it , there may be ones I just can't think of any.,

Sturridge did well on loan and Bolton and came back to Chelsea and did okay there.
    I'm sure there are more, especially if you look outside england.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Liverpool actually need to sign a CM this summer I think.

If Leeds get promoted, Milner might leave and join them. Think Lallana will leave too.

That leaves Hendo, Gini, Fabinho, Keita and Ox if he can get his fitness back and plays as a midfielder again. 4 actual centre midfielders and one attacking player.

Neves is a good shout but I think that Wolves have high ambitions - maybe even wanting to get European football there. I don't think they would sell him cheaply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Who has had a similar injury before and not returned the same player out of curiosity? I’d be fairly optimistic Ox will come back as strong as he was. You’d forget we still have him, he’d have been some addition this season.

Wilson replaces lallana for me. Younger, cheaper and I would argue similar standard with Wilson obviously a higher ceiling. A poster a few pages back mentioned we are above his level now, and should have a squad of great players. Although that is fair to a point, United have won titles with the likes of O’Shea, Phil Neville, Gibson & Sung playing big roles so I don’t think we are above having young hungry talented players like Wilson in the squad, at least for 1 season to see how much game time he gets.

What’s the chances of Neves leaving Wolves for a bigger team this summer? He’d be great in our midfield with his passing ability.

Well, our own Ings/Gomez have had ACL's and in Ings case he was out too long and never really recovered form, Gomez lost time and also probably lucky to have regained his form - but again took time. Outside ours Bolaise/Gundogan/Kurt Zouma ... to name a few.

Optimistic why? He's had a career threatening injury and the mental side alone is half the battle.

Don't get me wrong ... i hope he does recovery just don't hold your breath.

Sturridge did well on loan and Bolton and came back to Chelsea and did okay there.
    I'm sure there are more, especially if you look outside england.

He did good ill give him that,

Madly he has 76 Prem goals and Slaah has 50 already that's nuts

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Any word on Fabinho yet?
    Is he injured?

Just seen it come on Sky Sports News - club yet to comment on the potential severity of a hamstring injury. **** sake hadn't a clue he had a knock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Salah already has as many PL goals for us as Sturridge does.

Sturridge has 6 years to Salah's 1 and a half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Wheety wrote: »
    Salah already has as many PL goals for us as Sturridge does.

Sturridge has 6 years to Salah's 1 and a half.

Mad to think Sturridge has been here since January 2013. Those first two years or so he was not only class but defied expectations also with his fitness.

Suarez left and that was that seemingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Unfortunately Sturridge has had more poor seasons than good ones.

The hip surgery he had in 14/15 killed his career. Never been the same ever since despite getting a decent return in 15/16.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Bit unfair to be comparing the most natural finisher football has ever seen to Salah on goals alone.

Do goals to games or goals to minutes show him in a more preferable light?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

50 from109 to 50 from 60 or something like that. To be fair you could compare anyone to Salah and likely the other lad would look bad let alone Danny who's been injured more often than not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

FitzShane wrote: »
    Liverpool actually need to sign a CM this summer I think.

If Leeds get promoted, Milner might leave and join them. Think Lallana will leave too.

That leaves Hendo, Gini, Fabinho, Keita and Ox if he can get his fitness back and plays as a midfielder again. 4 actual centre midfielders and one attacking player.

Neves is a good shout but I think that Wolves have high ambitions - maybe even wanting to get European football there. I don't think they would sell him cheaply.

Neves is supposedly very close with our assistant manager Pep Ljinders.

You can bet he will be bending the managers ear about him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

2 starts this season and gone in the summer sums it up really ,
    Although one of those goals may be crucial and fingers crossed he get a few more that count ,

Yeah he’s no longer good enough but the team’s moved on

I meant after his first loan spell at Lille he came and played a fair bit for us over a couple of season. Didn’t work out long term but he was first choice for a season at least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Blanco100 wrote: »

It’s worth noting that Liverpool’s current Under-16s coach Pepijn Lijnders worked with Neves during his days as a coach at Porto, and was the man who helped him progress to the senior team.

This could potentially help the Reds in their quest to sign him, given the influence Lijnders has had on his career

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2015/01/ruben-neves-portuguese-new-busquets-liverpool-scouting/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Frank Lampard - he went on loan to Swansea and was recalled by West Ham when he began to show promise.

Rio Ferdinand joined Bournemouth on loan before he made it to the West Ham first team squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Owl.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Unfortunately Sturridge has had more poor seasons than good ones.

Lallana is the same. This is his fifth season at the club and he's had one very good half season. Need to get rid of him.

• Advertisement

Blanco100 wrote: »

The only thing that would convince neves to sign for us is the vast amounts of Great British Pounds we can throw at him and Jorge Mendes.

@justdeadright

Rio Ferdinand, John terry, frank lampard, Ashley cole, jack butland, Jermaine Defoe, Thibaut Courtois have been loaned and made it good.

Actually a few high profile cars.

Owl. wrote: »
    Lallana is the same. This is his fifth season at the club and he's had one very good half season. Need to get rid of him.
    That's unfair on Lallana - last season was marred by a hamstring problem but prior to that he was almost ever present for Klopp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

@justdeadright

Rio Ferdinand, John terry, frank lampard, Ashley cole, jack butland, Jermaine Defoe, Thibaut Courtois have been loaned and made it good.

David Beckham was loaned to Preston. Think he did ok after that.

mosstin wrote: »
    Right, I'm going to be the pedant on this one..........

[IMG]https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/<a href=https:/// target=_blank>[/img]4e61c8f55844dbd64421dd6015943b51-full.jpg [URL="https:///"]4e61c8f55844dbd64421dd6015943b51-full.jpg[/URL] free photo hosting
    imuT5Xh
    I think we can chalk that one down to the medication Souness was on at the time - if he had realised at the time that Mark Walters had Everton as his middle name he never would have signed him.

@justdeadright

I'd guess most if not all of them were playing regular top league football by the ages of 19-21. Keepers I'd take out as it's usually an older guys position, CB's too but Ferdinand and Terry are probably exceptions to that rule as they were so good. Wilson will be 22 in two months and has yet to play in a top division.

Age has to be a consideration in this, he could become a regular player for it but at 22 soon and not one top league game under his belt I'd be leaning on the side of him playing out his career elsewhere.

That's unfair on Lallana - last season was marred by a hamstring problem but prior to that he was almost ever present for Klopp.

How long was that? Three quarters of a season roughly? He was very good in the second half of that season which is what I said but under Rodgers, more often than not, he was awful. He's been injured a lot and I feel for any player that suffers injuries but lets face it...he's never repeating that good half season he had.

@justdeadright

I knew thered be some , mad how we never seemed to have done it ,
    Some really top players to in that list

murpho999 wrote: »
    @justdeadright

David Beckham was loaned to Preston. Think he did ok after that.

Ye thats another ,didnt he play in the same team as Moyes there which is madness

Fromvert wrote: »
    @justdeadright

I'd guess most if not all of them were playing regular top league football by the ages of 19-21. Keepers I'd take out as it's usually an older guys position, CB's too but Ferdinand and Terry are probably exceptions to that rule as they were so good. Wilson will be 22 in two months and has yet to play in a top division.

Age has to be a consideration in this, he could become a regular player for it but at 22 soon and not one top league game under his belt I'd be leaning on the side of him playing out his career elsewhere.

Its mad cause the guys mentioned who went on to be real stars Rio,Cole ,Lampard,Terry all only played about 10 games each on loan ,
    Where they short loans or did they where they not first choice at the clubs they went to ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Ian rush went on loan for a season to italy :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/01/21/liverpool-expected-become-first-club-100m-annual-net-profit/

FSG out etc etc

For the "net spenders" on here....

No oil money in sight!

Fromvert wrote: »

The odds are stacked against Wilson but I wouldn't rule him out yet. Deadwright asked for examples so I went with the best I could find.
    Its mad cause the guys mentioned who went on to be real stars Rio,Cole ,Lampard,Terry all only played about 10 games each on loan ,
    Where they short loans or did they where they not first choice at the clubs they went to ?

Defoe played loads though.

Mr.H wrote: »
    Ian rush went on loan for a season to italy :p

Which led to one of the funniest quotes ever from a footballer. "I couldn't settle in Italy...it was like living in a foreign country." Rush denies ever saying it though. You would though, wouldn't you? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Ye thats another ,didnt he play in the same team as Moyes there which is madness

David-Beckham-and-David-Moyes.jpg

Yes, in 94-95.

How long was that? Three quarters of a season roughly? He was very good in the second half of that season which is what I said but under Rodgers, more often than not, he was awful. He's been injured a lot and I feel for any player that suffers injuries but lets face it...he's never repeating that good half season he had.
    Rodgers hadn't a clue how to utilise Lallana - that's not the fault of the player.

Klopp loved him because from the very first game he totally committed himself to what the manager wanted - he used to run himself into the ground harassing the opposition and getting the team going forward. That's easily forgotten because he didn't have a part in the exploits of last season.

2014/15 : Lallana made 41 appearances in all competitions.
    2015/16 : Lallana made 49 appearances in all competitions.
    2016/17 : Lallana made 31 appearances in all competitions.

The player will continue to have a role so longs as Klopp believes in Lallana and that's all that really matters.

Which led to one of the funniest quotes ever from a footballer. "I couldn't settle in Italy...it was like living in a foreign country." Rush denies ever saying it though. You would though, wouldn't you? :pac:
    The quote actually came from Kenny Dalglish winding up a tabloid reporter.

It's getting closer and closer to being back to back seasons where Lallana is on the fringe of the squad, doubt there'll be much confidence in the summer to move into the following year believing he can make himself available regularly. He'll be 31 starting next season and his body isn't getting stronger, would be very confident he's out the door but doubt he'll have many teams offering him a large salary.

17/18 - 4 starts and 12 sub appearances
    18/19 - 3 starts and 6 sub appearances so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Fieldog wrote: »
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/01/21/liverpool-expected-become-first-club-100m-annual-net-profit/

FSG out etc etc

For the "net spenders" on here....

No oil money in sight!

Could buy Ruben Neves with 88m quid.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

cjmc wrote: »
    Id include Mig in that group . Solid back up keeper.

Ta xxx

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement