Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford acid attack

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

AMKC wrote: »
    Absolutely vile and sickening that someone can do this to someone else. I am also of the opinion that anyone using or attempting to use acid as a weapon should be put in prison for at least 15 years with no parole or shortening of the sentence.

They know they'll get off or get a suspended so they don't seem to have any problems doing stuff like this. Same way they have no problems tieing up elderly people in their homes or kicking the living crap out of randomers for fun etc etc....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    The black kid was born here for a start and also a white teen was attacked too so doesn't look like a racist attack at all.

Racism can work both ways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It is a cultural response and is now part of the rich tapestry of modern Ireland.

Get used to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Hal3000 wrote: »
    Higher taxes for a safer environment ? Ah .. yeah
    The cost of keeping crminals on the street could be higher. Personal injury claims, lost time from work, property damage. For repeat offenders there will be multiples of thse costs based on the number of detections and successful arrests:
    Garda time arrest, process, jail cost, court cost including cost of all court staff and support staff, gardai, solicitors present etc.
    Prison service officers for remand etc.
    It costs a fortune to re-process and wastes garda time. I don't care about court time they seem to have plenty of it, I do care about the cost!
    Lock up repeat offenders especially any hint of violence as it inevitably escalates to serious violence.
    Letting animals out to roam free... there's a human cost in suffering, I'll leave that to ye to figure out

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Calltocall

A most heinous, abhorrent crime, to scar a young person for life who will always be reminded of their injuries every time they look in the mirror, it’s sickening and sad, one of the greatest scandals of modern Ireland is the lenient sentences being consistently handed out by the judiciary to filth for carrying out horrific crimes, water charges, homelessness, marriage equality aside this to me personally is one of the greatest scandals of our time and it’s something I would march to change. If I heard the dirt that committed this crime got fifty years I wouldn’t bat an eyelid, I would smile and say more of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭505_

Absolutely horrendous crime, hopefully they perpetrator(s) are caught and see serious prison time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Reported last week, why are media picking it up now?

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭no.8

Is this attack a racist attack or was it immigrants attacking each other like in the UK?

Random Q. Why is it automatically racist when the perpetrator happens to be a different race to the victim? Is it really that straight forward

no.8 wrote: »
    Random Q. Why is it automatically racist when the perpetrator happens to be a different race to the victim? Is it really that straight forward

If it's white-on-black then generally yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Racism can work both ways

a white and black teen were hurt so so that doesn't make any sense in this instance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭irishproduce

When the politicians are at your door, ask them where they stand on crime, the judiciary and the lack of prison spaces.
    If we don't invest in prison space, the judges will continue with soft sentences.
    I'd be happy to pay taxes for more prison space if it meant taking dangerous people off the streets.
    Push your politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Calltocall

When the politicians are at your door, ask them where they stand on crime, the judiciary and the lack of prison spaces.
    If we don't invest in prison space, the judges will continue with soft sentences.
    I'd be happy to pay taxes for more prison space if it meant taking dangerous people off the streets.
    Push your politicians.

Agreed 100%, it just never seems to be high up on the agenda of the day, I guess it’s one of those things, nothing like that ever happened to me so I don’t really care until it actually does and you see the **** walk away with a smile and a suspended sentence

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

Calltocall wrote: »
    Agreed 100%, it just never seems to be high up on the agenda of the day, I guess it’s one of those things, nothing like that ever happened to me so I don’t really care until it actually does and you see the **** walk away with a smile and a suspended sentence

Alot of the political elite(the upper class) don't experience crime like the average person, they are so far removed from reality. Tax cuts only benefit the rich as they don't experience crime on the same level like the rest of us plebs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

The people who carry out these sort of attacks are not criminals but animals and should be put down after they are convicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

F**king dismal when the world has come to this, for some reason we're hearing less about the London ones so hopefully they're abating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

The old elephant in the room is that acid attacks are part and parcel of the grime music scene in London and other English cities. You’d hope this is an isolated incident, and not symptomatic of a wider trend.

We should have a zero tolerance policy for this sort of "culture".

If we don't get a handle on Immigration Ireland will end up like London in terms of acid attacks.

I find it remarkable that people even think they should be let out of prison.

It's easy to shoot someone. It isn't easy to throw acid and disfigure someone for life. If you are capable of doing the latter, you should never see daylight again. Solitary confinement for life so they can't harm others. Anything else is nonsensical imo.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

The old elephant in the room is that acid attacks are part and parcel of the grime music scene in London and other English cities. You’d hope this is an isolated incident, and not symptomatic of a wider trend.

Can you back that up with some evidence please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I don’t know is it not drill now as a successor to the grime? ..you know looking at these teens hiding their identities whilst muttering explicit threats reminds me the Al Quaeda terrorist music videos; such as Dirty Kuffar and it appears just so alien to us here in old Ireland.....

I mean it’s not the Frank & Walters. Far from it and I’m surprised it’s permitted under the category of music as that’s clearly not their motivation but we can see amidst our own plenty of Afro-Irish spilling out of the woodwork in imitating this movement... with one of the more prolific groups rather chillingly under the guise of New Eire but t’s startling; really and it’s hard to come to terms with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Push your politicians.

In the Uk the majority of young offenders are guys who have already served a prison sentence. The public health approach has been shown to be the best way at preventing crime, not incarceration.

Now, that doesn't mean that there shouldn't be prison sentences in some cases. An acid attack like this warrants it. But in general we do less to prevent crime than we do to punish offenders after the fact. We need to do both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

Thats awful. Poor fellas way too young and innocent

Are they 100% innocent though?
    I completely agree this is a horrific life changing attack.

But what was the motive behind it.
    I'd be very surprised if it was a random attack.

Are they in a gang, involved in drugs, owed someone money for drugs,
    involved in anti-social behaviour, was someone badly bullied and snapped, etc...

Always two sides to the story.
    Not condoning the attack AT ALL and it should be considered at the highest end of the scale of grevious bodily harm.

But we only heard one side, haven't heard the "why".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

This kind of thing is common in the third world, very worrying to hear it being used here in Ireland. I hope a speedy recovery for the victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Dr Brown wrote: »

If we don't get a handle on Immigration Ireland will end up like London in terms of acid attacks.

You've evidence that immigrants were involved?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 78 ✭✭gaelwave

Some interesting statistics on acid attacks.

IMG-20190501-120807.jpg

IMG-20190501-120803.jpgnbt bank customer service

IMG-20190501-120759.jpg

IMG-20190501-120754.jpg

Odhinn wrote: »
    You've evidence that immigrants were involved?

Don't be naive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

gaelwave wrote: »
    Some interesting statistics on acid attacks.

^^^ Where are you getting this info from and what country is it in relation to?
    What the hell is a 'dark European'?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

A scummy, cowardly thing to do to someone. Hopefully long prison sentences are given.

Saw that and went WTF meself.

Don't be naive.

Again - do you have some evidence or information that "immigrants" were involved?

Again - do you have some evidence or information that "immigrants" were involved?

Do you believe that no immigrants were involved?

• Advertisement

I'd imagine a black European or Afro-European

Do you believe that no immigrants were involved?

I haven't a clue one way or another.

Could you be as good as to provide a link to the source of the information you posted here?
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110069530&postcount=75

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

This requires a heavy handed approach with a mandatory long prison sentence.

I think if word got around such as "Did you hear about the fellas in Waterford who threw acid in peoples faces? They got 15 years in prison" then I am pretty confident you would very quickly see a dramatic drop in acid attacks.

Maybe it's time localised judicial appointments require voting approval by the public instead of appointment by voted in politicians. Throwing acid/chemicals into people's faces goes beyond politics.

I haven't a clue one way or another.

Could you be as good as to provide a link to the source of the information you posted here?
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110069530&postcount=75

I didn't fact check it, I seen it online. I'd imagine it is easy enough verified I will get back to you on that.

I didn't fact check it, I seen it online. I'd imagine it is easy enough verified I will get back to you on that.

Don't need it verified thanks, just a link back to where it was sourced originally.

Don't need it verified thanks, just a link back to where it was sourced originally.

I didn't source it, I'll find out and let you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

Dr Brown wrote: »

Maybe you should stick to YouTube where you don't have to thinly viel your racism with the use of "culture" or whatever else.

Has there been any publication of the people who done this?

In cases like this, I’d be fully in favour of hobbling and forced hard labour with mandatory sentencing to force judges to do what justice demands.

Or let the people apply justice to scum like this on the streets. If they’re guilty, name them. Brand them. Tattoo their crimes on their forehead and leave them marked for life.

circadian wrote: »
    Maybe you should stick to YouTube where you don't have to thinly viel your racism with the use of "culture" or whatever else.

No but I think it's fair enough for people to speculate that immigrants are involved when this is a rare occurence in Ireland and seems to be along with knives one of the favoured weapons of the London gangs.

A certain section of our black community seem to be imitating these gangs.

• Advertisement

No but I think it's fair enough for people to speculate that immigrants are involved when this is a rare occurence in Ireland and seems to be along with knives one of the favoured weapons of the London gangs.

...or some eejit could have seen it on the TV/in the papers and thought it a good idea to put the fear of god in people.

I don't think it's fair to speculate on who done it in any way.

Something bad happens, roll out "Religion of Peace" copypasta until further details are released. Christ.

...or some eejit could have seen it on the TV/in the papers and thought it a good idea to put the fear of god in people.

Of course that is also a possibility.

I don't think it's fair to speculate on who done it in any way.

But you understand how people could make the connection?

But you understand how people could make the connection?

Yes, but it is far from logical or reasonable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Yes, but it is far from logical or reasonable.

So, an event that has recognisable trend and association happens, and in the absence of immediate evidence you think comparison to previous trend and association is NOT logical or reasonable?

How's life in reverso-ville? :p

As another poster said, it's just dismal and depressing that this thing has happened here at all. Once is too much, but if it starts "trending" then we might as well give up. Not fixing problems already in the country is one thing, adding to them is just laughable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

I know I'm going to be absolutely savaged for this, be let me preface that I am in no way victim blaming, NO ONE deserves what happened to those boys, no one, ever. but.... why are 16 year olds out after 11pm at night? we really need to have a discussion on curfews in this country, there are kids under 14 roaming around here some evenings, for their protection we should be considering it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

There's no veil in front of Dr Browns racism, same guy point blank refuses to gets taxiif the driver is black, because the driver is black. Fairly straight forward racism to be honest.

El_Bee wrote: »
    I know I'm going to be absolutely savaged for this, be let me preface that I am in no way victim blaming, NO ONE deserves what happened to those boys, no one, ever. but.... why are 16 year olds out after 11pm at night? we really need to have a discussion on curfews in this country, there are kids under 14 roaming around here some evenings, for their protection we should be considering it.
    Can't really say I fully agree, I grew up in Dublin and we were out to around that time over holidays or on weekends all the time from about 12 or 13 onward. By 16 we were out hours and hours after it. Bit of underage drinking and shmoking involved but nothing major or even close to along these lines though, personally 16year olds being out until 11pm wouldn't be something to bother me in and of itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

Billy86 wrote: »
    Can't really say I fully agree, I grew up in Dublin and we were out to around that time over holidays or on weekends all the time from about 12 or 13 onward. By 16 we were out hours and hours after it. Bit of underage drinking and shmoking involved but nothing major or even close to along these lines though, personally 16year olds being out until 11pm wouldn't be something to bother me in and of itself.

Well that's kind of a NIMBY attitude, what if there's 7 or 8 of them outside your house at 11:30 at night?

El_Bee wrote: »
    Well that's kind of a NIMBY attitude, what if there's 7 or 8 of them outside your house at 11:30 at night?
    There were 7 or 8 of us outside neighbours houses, and nothing happened. Probably because we weren't up to no good etc outside of said houses (and left the drinking for a field!).

• Advertisement
Advertisement