Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official complaint against primary school teacher

Options
  • 07-05-2019 9:08am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 93 ✭✭

What are the procedures for making an official conplaint against a primary school teacher?

I’ve already spoken to the school principle and getting constantly fobbed off.

The school has a parents council and strong Catholic involvement from local priest.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

To start with, you would have to put your complaints in writing. Verbal complaints are not recorded.

Be very careful how you word things, for your own sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,830 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The usually treat them very seriously bar the ones from the usual suspects with too much time on their hands and time to fester.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

Waste of time, teachers are untouchable unfortunately

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 93 ✭✭QuadaLumpins

spurious wrote: »
    To start with, you would have to put your complaints in writing. Verbal complaints are not recorded.

Be very careful how you word things, for your own sake.

Could you elaborate on the be very careful comment please?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Could you elaborate on the be very careful comment please?

Without knowing what sort of a complaint it is, I can just say if it is on the more serious end of the scale, be careful you can absolutely back up any allegation you put in writing.

If it is very serious, perhaps go directly to the guards. It's difficult to advise without knowing what sort of a complaint it is. Schools get all sorts.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    Without knowing what sort of a complaint it is, I can just say if it is on the more serious end of the scale, be careful you can absolutely back up any allegation you put in writing.

If it is very serious, perhaps go directly to the guards. It's difficult to advise without knowing what sort of a complaint it is. Schools get all sorts.

Ah ok, I understand.

It’s not that serious I suppose. Definitely nothing for the Guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

It’s not that serious I suppose. Definitely nothing for the Guards.

Is it worth getting someone fired for then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Waste of time, teachers are untouchable unfortunately

What are you raving about. A serious allegation can mean a teacher has to be suspended pending full investigation. Also they can be asked in any future interviews if they ever had any allegations made against them (even if found to be unfounded). Plus the gossip that follows.

tedpan wrote: »

Who said anything about getting someone fired?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

Who said anything about getting someone fired?

Your title says you would like to make an an official complaint, you've already raised the issue with the principal. If you don't want the teacher gone, what's your objective?

• Advertisement

Your title says you would like to make an an official complaint, you've already raised the issue with the principal. If you don't want the teacher gone, what's your objective?

When has any official complaint made against a teacher ... excluding one that involves illegality such as child abuse ... resulted in a teacher losing their job?

I’d be surprised if you can give me even one example.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

When has any official complaint made against a teacher ... excluding one that involves illegality such as child abuse ... resulted in a teacher losing their job?

I’d be surprised if you can give me even one example.

https://www.thejournal.ie/teacher-sellotape-mouths-students-4180274-Aug2018/

If a complaint is upheld, then yes,the teacher can indeed lose their job. Cases were previously not open to media, but with the advent of the Teaching Council such cases can be made public.

Under the Act, it is a matter for the Teaching Council to decide if it is in the public interest to publish the finding, or findings, of the Panel and/or any sanction decided on by the Panel. If the Council decides that it is in the public interest to publish, details will be placed on the Council’s website.

The Teaching Council does not comment on individual cases.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/first-fitness-to-teach-public-hearing-to-start-in-november-1.3271894

I'm not sure of the relevance of the school having a Parent's Council is or that there is a priest on the BOM.

In any case, you must follow the correct procedure for complaints:
    https://www.into.ie/ROI/InfoforTeachers/ParentTeacherRelations/INTOManagementComplaintsProcedure/

Have you followed those steps?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭the14thwarrior

if you tell us what the complaint is, it would allow us to give an informed opinion on the circumstances and the procedure to follow ........which i know on boards amounts to...................... build a bridge and get over it or.............sue the s*it out of them

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Tedheckles

In order to make a complaint you must follow standard procedure which is
    1. Contact with teacher, if this does not resolve the issue
    2 contact with principal and if again issue is not resolved
    3. official complaint to Board of Management

You must follow procedure as outlined above or your complaint could be disregarded.

Google it and you'll find full outline on INTO page

• Registered Users Posts: 29,599 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Tedheckles wrote: »

You must follow procedure as outlined above or your complaint could be disregarded.

Failing any outcome from these you go to dept of education or whatever it is called now. If you do send in a letter to the school make sure everything is correct. I got mine sent back as I hadn't followed the procedure correctly. I then followed the procedure correctly and met principal and teacher separately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

What are the procedures for making an official conplaint against a primary school teacher?

The school has a parents council and strong Catholic involvement from local priest.

Parents council has no role in these matters although many Parents Association chairs think they do. Getting them involved will just make things public without any progress.

The local Priest likewise has no real power and most don't want to be involved in such things.

The Board of Management of the school is the next step after the principal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

You obviously don't want to get the teacher fired - what exactly do you want? Do you realise how much stress you will bring this teacher? Do you want to push them to the edge that they are forced to resign or retire? Can you stand over your complaint if the teacher does something drastic? Nobody is perfect. Maybe you're one of these helicopter parents whose little Johnny can do no wrong and the teacher is wrong and ready to pounce. Have other parents a problem with this teacher? Having a priest on BOM is completely normal at primary level as is having a nun/christian brother etc. on a BOM of a post primary school. Remember the catholic church were the founders of education in Ireland. Obviously I wouldn't be saying this if it was sexual/physical abuse but you've said that it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭ForestFire

It's not the op that would get them fired. It would be the teachers actions, if deemed necessary?

If something happens, small or big, the op should feel comfortable to report it without feeling threaten or guilty about it.

It should then be decided if any action is needed or not or further explanation to the parent if misunderstanding etc.

We should encoarge openness and reporting, especially we're kids are involved, not suppression.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

That's why there's a complaints procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭scooby77

Tedheckles wrote: »

This is true, whether the school has a complaints procedure in place or not. It's part of an agreement between all relevant parties in the early 1980's. The exception would of course a complaint of a criminal nature or one covered under child protection procedures.
    The Teaching Council was mentioned early, assume the reference was to "Fitness to practice" The Teaching Council will only investigate if "Local Procedures " ie those above have been exhausted. Again they could make an exception in criminal or child protection cases.

Anecdotally many schools and indeed teachers are open to the idea of independent mediation. I've never experienced it professionally, but feedback at various fora would suggest it's often very successful. I'd recommend suggesting to principal or BOM if other avenues fail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

As has been pointed out, it's difficult to advise without more details.
    Is the teacher bullying your kid?
    Are they just not teaching very well?
    Are they not giving your kid enough attention?
    Not giving them enough feedback?
    Did they say something they shouldn't but it was a one off?

You could give more details without giving the game away.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I think the OP needs to expand on whether it's a personal or a general issue with the teacher. If it is to do with your child, will it be the same teacher next year? If not I'd move on and put it behind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭eurokev

I'd say looking at the op's post history it's down to the young lad not getting enough game time in a recent gaa blitz.

Total snowflake stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

eurokev wrote:
    I'd say looking at the op's post history it's down to the young lad not getting enough game time in a recent gaa blitz.

Hell hath no fury like a bored parent with to much time on their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,599 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

eurokev wrote: »

Total snowflake stuff.

Ha, my young lad was told yesterday he wasn't picked for the team as he's too short! Never thought of writing a complaint. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

whelan2 wrote: »
    Ha, my young lad was told yesterday he wasn't picked for the team as he's too short! Never thought of writing a complaint. :)

Now you have an excuse to feed him even more veg and stuff he won't eat!:)

Total snowflake stuff.

That is pretty sad to be honest. Do you have nothing better to be doing than trawling my post history?

I’m also not sure why many here seem so resistant to anyone criticizing or making complaint against a teacher. Seems a very strange pedagogical position for a teacher to take????

And for the record ... My complaint was about a different more serious issue involving bullying and disrespect of a child which I will not be discussing in more detail here.

Thanks to all those who gave a useful reply to my op. To the others who gave less useful replies I’d suggest reflecting on why you don’t want criticism or comment from parents.

ForestFire wrote: »
    It's not the op that would get them fired. It would be the teachers actions, if deemed necessary?

If something happens, small or big, the op should feel comfortable to report it without feeling threaten or guilty about it.

It should then be decided if any action is needed or not or further explanation to the parent if misunderstanding etc.

We should encoarge openness and reporting, especially we're kids are involved, not suppression.

To the people calling me names and personally abusing me ... have a read of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭eurokev

That is pretty sad to be honest. Do you have nothing better to be doing than trawling my post history?

Lol, yeah I'm the sad one.

G'luck with your victimisation crusade

• Advertisement

Lol, yeah I'm the sad one.

G'luck with your victimisation crusade

Are you a primary school teacher kev?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement