Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The glorious 12th

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

janfebmar wrote: »
    I suppose in America people can choose to support veterans and their families, or they can choose to support the families of those who carried out the 9/11 attacks.

America has commited no bloody sundays here ..people can do what they want there,mate

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I would not think from reading your post that you or Irish, I would have thought that you are a UK nationalist .

To explain is to learn if you dont find explanation acceptable that is your business.

Well, you will be surprised. Have a look at the GAA forum and you will see that I am a dedicated Dublin season ticket holder. I am also a big fan of Irish music.

What surprises many "republicans" is that many Irish people are disgusted with the way that we have been represented up North by Sinn Fein, that many of us are happy with the current constitutional status, that we believe in the concept of nation without territory.

So I have explained and maybe you shall learn. Not all GAA and Irish music fans are rabid Irish republicans.

I wouldn't wear one myself and find it strange that Irish people would commemorate British soldiers who carried out countless atrocities in this country but I am an accepting sort of guy so each to their own.
    If other dont have the conviction of their beliefs to wear one in this day and age that's also their business.

I would find it difficult to wear a poppy because of the association with the British army in general rather than the First and Second World Wars in particular. Nevertheless, it is a badge of commemoration rather than celebration, and we should respect those who do wear it.

You obviously have no idea of the intimidation in parts of the North from so-called republicans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

I suppose in America people can choose to support veterans and their families, or they can choose to support the families of those who carried out the 9/11 attacks.
    Your post makes no sense. We are taking about Ireland here, The British occupied this country and murdered tens of thousands of people in most brutal of circumstances so I dont understand how people would expect Irish people to wear a symbol to commemorate those murderers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

blanch152 wrote: »
    I am an Irish nationalist. Because I see nation as being of people rather than territory, and am welcoming of other nations, I am not susceptible to the my nation is better than your nation type of thinking that so many posters here indulge in.

What type of Irish nationalist is that has made no secret of, essentially, wishing that Unionist votes should be weighted to prevent a his 'fellow' nationalists in the north from uniting the Irish nation politically?

I'm trying to figure out if you're attempting to gaslight the readers of the thread or if you genuinely hold such bizarrely dissonant positions.

• Advertisement

_blaaz wrote: »
    If 1p of it geos to anyone involved in wrong doing here....makes the whole thing a joke imo

And anyone donating,rightly deserves critism they get

That is exactly the kind of thinking that perpetuates divisions on this island.

That is exactly the kind of thinking that perpetuates divisions on this island.

Thinking people should grt critised for supporting perpetuators of bloody sunday.....forgive me if i dont think they are good people

I would find it difficult to wear a poppy because of the association with the British army in general rather than the First and Second World Wars in particular. Nevertheless, it is a badge of commemoration rather than celebration, and we should respect those who do wear it.

You obviously have no idea of the intimidation in parts of the North from so-called republicans.

Unfortunately the North is a malfunctioning statelet , it is under UK control, they have produced a place that is economically depressed, social deprived and culturally backward. It is a disaster and the UK could hardly have produce such a wreck even if they tried.

What type of Irish nationalist is that has made no secret of, essentially, wishing that Unionist votes should be weighted to prevent a his 'fellow' nationalists in the north from uniting the Irish nation politically?

I'm trying to figure out if you're attempting to gaslight the readers of the thread or if you genuinely hold such bizarrely dissonant positions.

Again, you are a nationalist of the territory type.

I find that bizarre in the modern world. Nationality is fluid - just ask Rory McIlroy, Declan Rice, Eoin Morgan, and many others.

In a fluid sense of nationality, why should territory mean anything, unless you are tied to 19th century thinking?

Political unification is meaningless for a nation nowadays, we are Europeans first.

Unfortunately the North is a malfunctioning statelet , it is under UK control, they have produced a place that is economically depressed, social deprived and culturally backward. It is a disaster and the UK could hardly have produce such a wreck even if they tried.

Whose fault is that?

The most economically deprived place in Northern Europe is West Belfast. It has been represented for most of the last 30 years by Gerry Adams. That tells you everything about what he has done for his people. Impoverished them for an outdated ideology.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

WTF. Are you joking? Your supposition is nonsense. Americans support 9/11 victim's families, the military, each other... It's loony to suggest they support murderers from Saudi Arabia

Thinking people should grt critised for supporting perpetuators of bloody sunday.....forgive me if i dont think they are good people

Who is supporting perpetuators of Bloody Sunday?

Haven't seen them on here. The British government are trying to prosecute them.

At the same time, child abusers, cold-blooded killers and the like from the republican side are wandering around with letters of comfort etc.

I have no sympathy for criminals on either side. If anyone committed an illegal act, they should be prosecuted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

I do find it hilarious that they burn a tricolour which is one of the most deliberately inclusive flags in the world.
    They are too stupid to realise they are present on it, and that St.Patrick is 1/3 of their union flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

In a fluid sense of nationality, why should territory mean anything, unless you are tied to 19th century thinking?

If territory means nothing to you then why do you obsess with preventing a United Ireland?

More bizarre dissonance.. or is it gaslighting?

Who knows at this point?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

If NI gets a border down the Irish Sea due to Brexit and stays in the CU and SM, they hopefully will do great economically.

Who is supporting perpetuators of Bloody Sunday?

Haven't seen them on here. The British government are trying to prosecute them.

Anyone who buys or supports wearing poppy is
    At the same time, child abusers, cold-blooded killers and the like from the republican side are wandering around with letters of comfort etc.

I have no sympathy for criminals on either side. If anyone committed an illegal act, they should be prosecuted.

meh....quite something your ready to jump through hoops to explaim away republican crims....but hid behind the poppy to support bloody sunday perputators....but then i seen you and few others gaslighting other posters on threads and screenshots of yere discords...so no suprise yous stoop to this

Whose fault is that?

The most economically deprived place in Northern Europe is West Belfast. It has been represented for most of the last 30 years by Gerry Adams. That tells you everything about what he has done for his people. Impoverished them for an outdated ideology.

If it makes you happy to criticise GA then so be it but the six counties is controlled by the UK and they have run the place into the ground . The British have been a disaster or Ireland and particularly the six counties. The place is a basket case that can only be turned around by it taking its rightful place in an all Ireland state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

Taxpayers in a country with nuclear power would not use the ridiculous argument of avoiding tax because there is a chance 00.0001 % of it may go towards a nuclear power plant. Voluntary donors to a charity would not baulk at donating to a charity because there is a chance 00.0001% of it may go to a few soldiers involved in murder.

If it was not for the sacrifices of the British forces, people in these islands would probably be speaking German now, with our disabled, our homosexuals, our travellers, our Jews etc long gone. And the rest of us working in Nazi slave camps like many did during the war.

Taxpayers in a country with nuclear power would not use the ridiculous argument of avoiding tax because there is a chance 00.0001 % of it may go towards a nuclear power plant. Voluntary donors to a charity would not baulk at donating to a charity because there is a chance 00.0001% of it may go to a few soldiers involved in murder.

Your free to support bloody sunday murderers....just a trash thing to do mate
    If it was not for the sacrifices of the British forces, people in the islands would probably be speaking German now, with our disabled, our homosexuals, our travellers, our Jews etc long gone. And the rest of us working in Nazi slave camps like many did during the war.

None of this happened here...so dont care (besides everyone whos ever read anything other than union bears forum,knows russia done all the heavy lifting in ww2)

If it was not for the sacrifices of the British forces, people in these islands would probably be speaking German now, with our disabled, our homosexuals, our travellers, our Jews etc long gone. And the rest of us working in Nazi slave camps like many did during the war.

We are speaking a foreign language because of the British Army, its called English instead of German. As for the rest of your post in the past you could just substitute UK slave camps for Nazi because the British often behaved just as the nazis did when it came to Ireland. You were the bad guys , you just don't realise it.

• Advertisement

Igotadose wrote: »
    WTF. Are you joking? Your supposition is nonsense. Americans support 9/11 victim's families, the military, each other... It's loony to suggest they support murderers from Saudi Arabia

I was responding to another poster who referenced donating to IRA. There is no difference between 9/11 and LeMons bomb, Guildford pub bombings, Enniskillen, bloody Friday bombings etc etc except one of scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

I look forward to the day when those members of the British Army, the armed wing of the state, are brought to justice for the EXECUTION of civilians on the streets of Derry.

Rodin wrote: »
    I look forward to the day when those members of the British Army, the armed wing of the state, are brought to justice for the EXECUTION of civilians on the streets of Derry.

Theres no reason soldier F (and several others) shouldnt die in jail tbh....the 2 year restriction for troubles offrnces is from 1974 afaik

We are speaking a foreign language because of the British Army, its called English instead of German.

And so is USA, Canada, Oz, New Zealand etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

Oh how terrible indeed if the people of Ireland had their language suppressed and replaced by that of a forign invader. Were it not for the Red Army, and the truely staggering sacrifices of the Russian people, which is not too often acknoleged in the British recounting, there is little to nothing the British forces could have done about the Nazis.

And so is USA, Canada, Oz, New Zealand etc.

All we are saying here is that the English were vastly worse than the Germans ever were when it comes to replacing the native language of the territories they conqured.

Imreoir2 wrote: »
    Oh how terrible indeed if the people of Ireland had their language suppressed and replaced by that of a forign invader. Were it not for the Red Army, and the truely staggering sacrifices of the Russian people, which is not too often acknoleged in the British recounting, there is little to nothing the British forces could have done about the Nazis.

Except stand alone in Europe against Nazis Germany in the early part of the war, and send many convoys of war supplies to Russia.

Imreoir2 wrote: »
    All we are saying here is that the English were vastly worse than the Germans ever were when it comes to replacing the native language of the territories they conqured.

We were part of the UK forces who colonised America, Australia, New Zealand etc.

Anyone who buys or supports wearing poppy is

meh....quite something your ready to jump through hoops to explaim away republican crims....but hid behind the poppy to support bloody sunday perputators....but then i seen you and few others gaslighting other posters on threads and screenshots of yere discords...so no suprise yous stoop to this

Ah crap. There is no way that everyone who buys or supports wearing poppys is supporting Bloody Sunday. That is typical republican revisionism and intimidation.

Learn to tolerate others, would you?

• Advertisement

We were part of the UK forces who colonised America, Australia, New Zealand etc.

Individual people joined in the imperial adventures of the conqurer of their nation, yes. You always get colaborators unfortunatly. What exactly is your point?

Advertisement