Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The glorious 12th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

You described a situation uover which the Irish people's independent government has no control, this situation that you describe takes place in the UK. Get the UK government or police to do something about it, it is the UK after all. Dont blame us for the problem created by the partition of Ireland,you have made your bed now go lie in it.

Yous have enough challenges of you own
    https://www.donegaldaily.com/2018/10/16/men-sentenced-for-attacks-on-convoy-presbyterian-community/

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

downcow wrote: »

Did you notice what happened him by any chance?

The OO get a pass. The PSNI and fire brigade spray water on the houses instead of the fecking fires for fear of upsetting you. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I honestly believe the unionist community would work very hard at clearing up the problem fires etc if they believed for one moment that the nationalists would then back of a little. I think the attitude is , sure whats the point, next it will be they want all the fires stopped.

You say i can express my identity!
    I grew up and live in a town which will not tolerate any British culture. About the only thing happening is a small gathering and some poppies left at the war memorial - these are usually strewn over the road by evening time.
    It would be dangerous for a young person to wear eg an NI football top and even an adult certainly wouldn't wear one in a bar at night (if they felt able to go in to a bar at all). I don't even wear a poppy because i feel people will think i am rubbing it in their faces etc etc.
    So the twelfth and events like that are a release from the bigotry of my home town

I didn't say you were lying about not being able to express your identity, I said you should be allowed to, and was asking what the problems were. Obviously I would condemn people being stopped from wearing anything they want or damaging WW1 memorials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

As it should be in a proper functioning democracy, not like the sectarian still born six counties. You need to take a step back and see the six for what it is, its not a nice place, it needs to be brought to a place where religion dosnt matter and where the formerly supreme Loyalist are not trying to create an annual hate fest by harking back to their former glory days of repressing the natives. If a load of catholic nutters in a religious order were trying to intimidate protestants in Dublin where I live I would be out there trying to stop the madness. I dont understand the need to parade ones vile sectarian views to the world, frankly I would be ashamed if this was done in my name, you should be also.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

That's the UK for you, the six counties are a failed political entity. I see people wearing poppies in Dublin every year with no problems.

There is always a republican coming along to explain and excuse unacceptable behaviour.

Is it a surprise that two of the top three posters in a thread about the 12th are nationalists?

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »
    There is always a republican coming along to explain and excuse unacceptable behaviour.

Is it a surprise that two of the top three posters in a thread about the 12th are nationalists?

I explained it yes but I didn't excuse it. You should learn to distinguish between the two.

All the posters are nationalist of a sort you just happen to be a British nationalist, I am an Irish republican. Again you should learn to discern the differences.

RobMc59 wrote: »
    He could be realising that worldwide interest is growing outside NI in the whole mystique surrounding the Ulster Scots culture,music and history.

Yeh Rob...so 'interested' that the organisers of the biggest sporting event seen on this island spent 'months' negotiating with the 'mysterious Ulster Scots' and ended up curtailing their annual Orangefest event.

Perhaps they were afraid of the worldwide tourists overloading on 'de culture'?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Yeh Rob...so 'interested' that the organisers of the biggest sporting event seen on this island spent 'months' negotiating with the 'mysterious Ulster Scots' and ended up curtailing their annual Orangefest event.

With hindsight I did make it sound corny..What I meant was people around the world do have a fascination with Ireland-you don`t need me to tell you what the Americans think of the whole Island of Ireland!They are also fascinated with Scotland,whilst researching Scottish regiments I was surprised at the amount of Americans interested in that kind of stuff.

I explained it yes but I didn't excuse it. You should learn to distinguish between the two.

All the posters are nationalist of a sort you just happen to be a British nationalist, I am an Irish republican. Again you should learn to discern the differences.

Sorry, I am no British nationalist. I am an Irish nationalist.

Because I see nation as being of people rather than territory, and am welcoming of other nations, I am not susceptible to the my nation is better than your nation type of thinking that so many posters here indulge in.

And explaining violence as some on here do, only excuses it. There is no acceptable explanation for the intimidation as described for downcow.

Because I see nation as being of people rather than territory, and am welcoming of other nations, I am not susceptible to the my nation is better than your nation type of thinking that so many posters here indulge in.

And explaining violence as some on here do, only excuses it. There is no acceptable explanation for the intimidation as described for downcow.

Who is saying one nation is 'better' than the other?

• Advertisement

Who is saying one nation is 'better' than the other?

It is the underlying theme to so much of this and other threads. Sometimes it rises to the surface, but most of the time it is lying underneath and surfaces in sneering comments.

Some examples:
    where the formerly supreme Loyalist are not trying to create an annual hate fest by harking back to their former glory days of repressing the natives
    Yous have enough challenges of you own
    It's a real classless culture
    To explain to you how archaic and unacceptable the ideology you are defending by saying it is 'a family day out', here is what was once an acceptable day out too...families gathering for a KKK 'day out'.
    Ffs the holylands on st paddy’s day is like a scene from day of the dead only on buckfast. Loads of Tyrone culchie students singing songs about the ra. Taking after their County players obviously.
    I haven't strayed off anywhere, I was trying to find a biological reason as to why a community of people could behave in such a backward way. It's well known that inbreeding causes very strange behaviour patterns.

Need I go on? There are a lot of posters who need to take a hard long look at what they say and how it reflects a national superiority complex. In expressing it on here, they (and I include both republican and unionist posters) are no better than the worst of the Brexiteers or the followers of Le Pen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

That's the UK for you, the six counties are a failed political entity. I see people wearing poppies in Dublin every year with no problems.

There are many people who would like to wear poppies each November but would either be afraid to ( having known people having their windows broken or being attacked for less) or else choose not to, for fear of others thinking they are rubbing their noses in it. There are a lot of relatives of the over 100,000 Irishmen who fought in the world wars, for example. People have learnt to keep their heads low.

It is the underlying theme to so much of this and other threads. Sometimes it rises to the surface, but most of the time it is lying underneath and surfaces in sneering comments.

Some examples:

Need I go on? There are a lot of posters who need to take a hard long look at what they say and how it reflects a national superiority complex. In expressing it on here, they (and I include both republican and unionist posters) are no better than the worst of the Brexiteers or the followers of Le Pen.

I take your point and accept my part in it. Will try to do better on future.
    I do wonder mind you why you have a pretty nasty go at brexit errs but no mention of remoaners.

But yeah I take your point

I do wonder mind you why you have a pretty nasty go at brexit errs but no mention of remoaners.

But yeah I take your point

Thank you, the reason why I used so many examples of posters was to demonstrate it wasn't targetted at any one particular poster or any particular side.

I find your views honest and well put, you do not really have to try better in future as far as I am concerned anyway. You have a right to have pride in your flag and passport as far as I am concerned. You do not have to apologise for it. Overall I think you are quite fair minded. There are extremists and ignorant people on both sides I would not agree with but you are not one of them.

janfebmar wrote: »
    I find your views honest and well put, you do not really have to try better in future as far as I am concerned anyway. You have a right to have pride in your flag and passport as far as I am concerned. You do not have to apologise for it. Overall I think you are quite fair minded. There are extremists and ignorant people on both sides I would not agree with but you are not one of them.
    I agree. We have some people on our side that appear very unreasonable. I have family and friends that frustrate me greatly. But where does responsibility lie. I have been fortunate to engage with Republicans ira etc. It’s is still a very small percentage of people who have met the ‘human’ on the other side. I guess that’s not there fault.
    I am saddened that very good people are completely stuck because of the past.

I have a good friend who is the sf local councillor and he would do anything for me. I have met good sincere republicans and I would single out Laurence McKeown as an example of a very honest decent republican. He was next to die if the hunger strike had it not ended. I have spent a couple of days with him and quickly felt no need to convince him we are right and he is wrong. Which is too often the approach. He was able to here me vent off about the sectarian nature of the ira and still engage positively.
    People are good up here but there is trauma on both sides. I have friends who just cannot come to terms with the sectarian onslaught that the ira visited on their community. And I have be honest and say that sadly I have watch as that trauma and anger has been passed on to their kids. I think as generations pass the numbers carrying the pain of the conflict will Decrease.
    I remember a gfa time academics saying it will take as long as the conflict to come out the other side. I thought that was nonsense but 20 years on I now think it would be wishful thinking to have it parked in another 20 years.

I often wonder if there had been no ira would there be a United ireland now or on the horizon. The ira have ensured there will be no United ireland in the next 50 years at least.

Sorry that was s bit of a ramble but I appreciate your openness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

RobMc59 wrote: »
    The recent abuse received by James Mcclean was terrible but doesn't seem to be a one way occurrence.
    https://amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/soccer/gazza-ira-threatened-to-kill-me-681733.html

This is covered in the Gazza documentary. It was quite clearly some wing nut as he left his name and address with the death threat. Not something the IRA did unless it was P. O'Neill

I would not think from reading your post that you or Irish, I would have thought that you are a UK nationalist .

To explain is to learn if you dont find explanation acceptable that is your business.

There are many people who would like to wear poppies each November but would either be afraid to ( having known people having their windows broken or being attacked for less) or else choose not to, for fear of others thinking they are rubbing their noses in it. There are a lot of relatives of the over 100,000 Irishmen who fought in the world wars, for example. People have learnt to keep their heads low.

I wouldn't wear one myself and find it strange that Irish people would commemorate British soldiers who carried out countless atrocities in this country but I am an accepting sort of guy so each to their own.
    If other dont have the conviction of their beliefs to wear one in this day and age that's also their business.

This is covered in the Gazza documentary. It was quite clearly some wing nut as he left his name and address with the death threat. Not something the IRA did unless it was P. O'Neill
    Was the name and address real? The threat was taken seriously enough by the cops to ensure care was taken checking under his car before each time he got in to it etc.

I think that stress would drive anyone to drink even more than normal.

• Advertisement

Was the name and address real? The threat was taken seriously enough by the cops to ensure care was taken checking under his car before each time he got in to it etc.

I think that stress would drive anyone to drink even more than normal.

IRA drove Gazza to drink, who would have thought that?

I wouldn't wear one myself and find it strange that Irish people would commemorate British soldiers who carried out countless atrocities in this country but I am an accepting sort of guy so each to their own.
    If other dont have the conviction of their beliefs to wear one in this day and age that's also their business.

Well unfortunately republicans have so screwed up identity in NI that I neither wear an NI shirt or a poppy at home because it could be misunderstood. This is what happens when you try to make areas single identity and prevent cultural displays. . I love to get to a game home or away to get my NI shirt on. Looking forward to the Netherlands and Germany. Ironically the locals there will embrace my identity and not feel threatened by it

I wouldn't wear one myself and find it strange that Irish people would commemorate British soldiers who carried out countless atrocities in this country.

The vast vast majority of the over 100,000 Irishmen who served in the wars never carried out any atrocity anywhere, and most people can see the wood from the trees.

The vast vast majority of the over 100,000 Irishmen who served in the wars never carried out any atrocity anywhere, and most people can see the wood from the trees.

A poppy as far as I know is to commemorate and provide money for all BA soldiers including those who committed atrocities like bloody Sunday or Ballymurphy or the countless other kilings by British forces over the years.
    Of course you may know better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

If 1p of it geos to anyone involved in wrong doing here....makes the whole thing a joke imo

And anyone donating,rightly deserves critism they get

A poppy as far as I know is to commemorate and provide money for all BA soldiers including those who committed atrocities like bloody Sunday or Ballymurphy or the countless other kilings by British forces over the years.
    Of course you may know better.
    Catch yourself on caneramonkey. Unless you have a set of criteria you can suggest

_blaaz wrote: »
    If 1p of it geos to anyone involved in wrong doing here....makes the whole thing a joke imo

And anyone donating,rightly deserves critism they get

So blaaz how would you decide who benifits?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

So blaaz how would you decide who benifits?

Get the government to pay...with all these extra trillions brexit is going to give em

Be no need to be out begging on streets for money to help down and out soldiers

Catch yourself on caneramonkey. Unless you have a set of criteria you can suggest

I think I am being pretty reasonable about the whole thing as I say each to their own, if people want to wear poppies to commemorate the BA thats their business but dont ask me to support it.

I wouldn't expect you to support people wearing Easter lilies.

• Advertisement

I think I am being pretty reasonable about the whole thing as I say each to their own, if people want to wear poppies to commemorate the BA thats their business but dont ask me to support it.

I wouldn't expect you to support people wearing Easter lilies.

I suppose in America people can choose to support veterans and their families, or they can choose to support the families of those who carried out the 9/11 attacks.

Advertisement