Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,643 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Jeez is does get tiring though.

There's an adviser/researcher (I'm not naming) who stated on another form of sm that they are vegan because of the way dairy cows are treated. They even did a study on health aspects of cows on farms. So they claim to be the expert.

They then did a presentation in front of farmers that I read in a paper of their study. And a part of the presentation they gave that was printed was the public's desire for calves to be left on dairy cows.

Now was this public information from social media interaction or something more substantial or was it just that particular person baring their own preferences and disguising it as a social want.
    I'm not saying vegans shouldn't be given prominent jobs and going round to farms and giving lectures to farmer groups after. But the opportunity for people to put their own slant and influence will always be there.

This is the world we live in now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,598 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Water John wrote: »
    Three prongs is fairly new here but I call it a silage fork. It really is much easier to use with silage, esp bales.

When my father was alive he’d be disgusted at us using anything but a four prong grape to “grape silage”. He grew up in a time of 16 stone bags of grain and thought society was becoming a bunch of sissy’s with the 8 stone (50kg) bags. When I was a lad we did allot of fertiliser drops on farms and we could hand/shoulder drop a 12ton load in 50minutes.

I’m obviously a massive disappointment because I use a hay fork all the time now to “grape silage”
    Four prong grape here is only used for cleaning out dung from a shed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I've one for that too...

Beef is meat.
    Pig is meat.
    Sheep is meat.
    Deer is meat.
    Chicken is meat.
    Fish is meat.
    Plant based meat.... is plant.

:=)

I thinks it's the the number of apparent plants which is the issue atm ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

whelan2 wrote: »
    What do you use it for?

2 prong for piking bales of hay and straw.
    3 prong for spreading straw.
    4 prong for piking dung.
    Any more prongs is a beet pike, just to start another argument. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Well in all that is good and holy isn't this better than putting up with all the Vegan and protest threads.

It's all down to marketing...
    R96dujO.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

2 prong for piking bales of hay and straw.
    3 prong for spreading straw.
    4 prong for piking dung.
    Any more prongs is a beet pike, just to start another argument. :pac:

As I tell people now Ud actually find it hard at times to find a fork or shovel in our yard the way things have moved on !
    My father died last year and it’s only now it has dawned on me there hard work !
    From digging drains to quarrying stone all by hand , omg how society is gone so f..d up !
    And they were self sufficient in every thing !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

https://open.spotify.com/episode/2UUFFJMJPo31a6AKFxRWZm?si=8W0ZCKNqTaq5ZSNC_UlrLw

Decent new podcast set up by a lad over here a sound skin and the kind of guy that points lads in the right direction. This first one is fairly honest about the lifestyle of the irish out here definitly far from the whole "living my best life" posts lads put on facebook and insta etc.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

My collection, all waiting to be christened ?

Attachment not found.

From the left..
    Garden Graipe, dunno, dunno, graipe, hay fork, two Continental yokes..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,665 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Heading to airport soon to go to the big game in Anfield tomorrow. Hopefully we get the 3 points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Throw on radio 1 for a vegan debate if ye want

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    From the left..
    Garden Graipe, dunno, dunno, graipe, hay fork, two Continental yokes..

Seconds from left has history, it belonged to my mother. It's a "ladies garden fork", which I bought for her when she was recovering from her hip operation. When my brother saw it, he asked me "was I trying to finish her off".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Heading to airport soon to go to the big game in Anfield tomorrow. Hopefully we get the 3 points

UUUUUNNNNIIIITTTTEEEEEDDDDDD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Ye are starting to get on my nerves now. Got this from 5 SO CALLED mates this week

https://twitter.com/Realaldo474/status/1217777436362002433?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 11,643 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

A piece about a limerick dairy farmer using Korean Natural Farming methods in his daily life on the farm.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/farming/farming-as-its-ferment-to-be-korean-natural-farming-in-ireland-975876.html

My phone packed in this morning before I left for airport. Had to stop and get a new one on the way. Typical something goes wrong when you're trying to get away. In the plus side no money spent shopping in the airport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,294 ✭✭✭✭Base price

My phone packed in this morning before I left for airport. Had to stop and get a new one on the way. Typical something goes wrong when you're trying to get away. In the plus side no money spent shopping in the airport
    How long did that one last?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,832 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Two people shot not too far from here last night. All connected to one notorious family that moved into the area a few years back. Bought their house at the time with cash. Never any trouble worth mentioning till they arrived.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

Two people shot not too far from here last night. All connected to one notorious family that moved into the area a few years back. Bought their house at the time with cash. Never any trouble worth mentioning till they arrived.
    This country is going to the dogs with drugs mostly cocaine readily available in towns and villages. The depravity of some people is shocking considering what they are capable of doing. The destruction of the grave stones in Cork last week was a new low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Mooooo wrote: »
    Throw on radio 1 for a vegan debate if ye want

Following that the business show had some guy who was goin to feed the planet with lab grown food made primarily from hydrogen and water and then Brendan o Connor had some vegan influencer on after that. Easy see where RTE stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Suckler

Base price wrote: »
    This country is going to the dogs with drugs mostly cocaine readily available in towns and villages..

It wouldn't be readily available if there wasn't a demand for it also. "Ordinary folk" decrying the violence of the last few weeks (months/years etc.) yet are happy to snort whatever is on offer.

• Advertisement

How long did that one last?

Over 6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭straight

Suckler wrote: »
    It wouldn't be readily available if there wasn't a demand for it also. "Ordinary folk" decrying the violence of the last few weeks (months/years etc.) yet are happy to snort whatever is on offer.

I thought the guy on tv made a good point the other night when he said any drug user has blood on their hands. I think everyone should keep driving this point home and make it clear that drugs are not acceptable in our society. I heard some guy last night crying over what the mayor said in the first place. He was standing up for people who use drugs recreationally. WTF like...

This country is going to the dogs with drugs mostly cocaine readily available in towns and villages. The depravity of some people is shocking considering what they are capable of doing. The destruction of the grave stones in Cork last week was a new low.

I actually felt nervous in drogheda yesterday evening. You'd never know what could happen. There will be more killings in retaliation for that young lad. He was no angel

When "I'll just change the front pads, only take 45 minutes or so" turns into a complete cluster-f***.

GVgV18j.jpg

I actually felt nervous in drogheda yesterday evening. You'd never know what could happen. There will be more killings in retaliation for that young lad. He was no angel
    The shooting near the airport yesterday was a couple of miles from me as the crow flies. I got home yesterday afternoon and there was a checkpoint near my house. The radio in the lorry isn't working so I hadn't a clue what was going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭orm0nd

a bit of activity in a village not very further north from there about the same time, car hit wall/gate of church yard , young female in back with facial injuries ,

area cordoned off and front lawns of local house searched by the cops.

Can auctioneers/estate agents accept cash as payment for buying a house/property. I would have thought that it would bring on the attention of the Revenue?

The shooting near the airport yesterday was a couple of miles from me as the crow flies. I got home yesterday afternoon and there was a checkpoint near my house. The radio in the lorry isn't working so I hadn't a clue what was going on.

No value put on a life now

No value put on a life now
    We farmers have more respect for our livestock.

• Advertisement

Can auctioneers/estate agents accept cash as payment for buying a house/property. I would have thought that it would bring on the attention of the Revenue?

You could pay bit of the deposit with cash, perhaps 5,000 or so, but the rest will have to go through the solicitors...
    Of course, there often is a request for a bit of the price to be in cash by the seller.
    Usually if the bank is forcing the sale, and in line to collect the full sale price.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement