Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭clohamon

Orebro wrote: »
    If you were appearing within a rollout area but near the edge on the above google map where the rollout is actively happening, but haven't been surveyed yet, does that mean you are not going to be in that rollout phase? There are houses marked as available by March 2021 only a couple of Kms away from me. Weird thing too is there are some houses on one side of road saying survey pending and houses literally across the road marked as available March 2021!

The Google map is an approximation of this fuzzy pdf from the NBP contract (Nov 2019).
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114442813&postcount=915

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭marvsins

TheSegal wrote: »
    Fantastic news, is it just your house or are your neighbors included too do you know? You can be the first of us to post a speedtest!

Just me afaik. 3 houses are with Vodafone and 1 with Eir. The rep did ask (3 times)if I had external insulation. He mentioned this had been a problem for people not wanting to drill through.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

TheSegal wrote: »
    What is the white cable used for if the black one is the duct for fiber cable? Just interested in learning about the different parts of the rollout process and you seem very knowledgeable about the different parts

The clear duct is used for blown fibre, so they will push fibre through that duct over long distances, perhaps a few km, using compressed air. You can see a little plastic stop on the end to keep the inside clean.

The black duct is used for shorter runs, say where a cable has to go underground beneath an ESB line perhaps for 50 - 100m. They would manually pull the fibre through it.

It is not totally apparent what is going on in that picture, I suspect there is a pole out of shot, but that is a general guide to what the different types are used for.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

NBAiii wrote: »
    The clear duct is used for blown fibre, so they will push fibre through that duct over long distances, perhaps a few km, using compressed air. You can see a little plastic stop on the end to keep the inside clean.

The black duct is used for shorter runs, say where a cable has to go underground beneath an ESB line perhaps for 50 - 100m. They would manually pull the fibre through it.

It is not totally apparent what is going on in that picture, I suspect there is a pole out of shot, but that is a general guide to what the different types are used for.

Thanks for the reply, really cleared things up when ya mention the distances they're used for. Noticed on a main road into Galway near me that they used the white cable to cover a stretch of road around 650m that didn't have telephone poles on it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

TimHorton wrote: »
    Who cares, Everyone knows what he means, Only morons like you comment on such things,

I was referring to the NBP document, not sure who "he" is. Actually people don't. There are always countless posts of people saying they are only getting x download speed because bit byte is misunderstood. I suspect you don't understand it yourself, but thanks for showing everyone what a great guy you are :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭jelem

rip off and citizens suckered again - what about the Green Footprint with all the cables
    and works ie digging up ground.
    who will own it once irish taxpayers and eu part fund has paid?.
    positive advertising and usaul words sounding like promises whilst
    cheaper reliable 5G towers with low footprint and better service
    thrown out of window for further profit of private companies

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Yes. Both coils are up a pole. Both subducts come out of an Eir manhole at the base.
    Although you may have the scenarios they both are used in reverse in this case. The white duct appears to be used for short runs where the fibre will transition from overhead down into a duct then back out of the duct and up the pole to overhead again. These would be short runs of 100mtrs and often less.

The thin black one seems to be coming from an Eir chamber on the main road that links back to the Enet MAN which is a longer run.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

jelem wrote: »
    rip off and citizens suckered again - what about the Green Footprint with all the cables

Why does everything you post look like you’ve cut and paste it from somewhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

as stated in my OP this thread is for discussion on the rollout not for arguing for or against, please start another thread if you want to discuss in further detail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

jelem wrote: »

Welcome, these myths have been dispelled many times on here. 5g is not cheaper, we would need multiple times the number of rural masts we already have and we would still miss the most rural secluded areas. These new and existing masts would require fibre uplink. 5g is not better than fibre to the home capable of 1 gigabit from day one and capable of much higher speeds with the replacement of the optics in future. In fact fibre is the only sensible method of futureproofing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Has anyone seen the type of working going on the curraghline n84 Galway?

As I've been working from home I havent see what type of works are taking place. Seen plenty giving out 9n Facebook pages about the traffic delays not to mention the county councilor the last day I mentioned.

Curious if they are laying cable underground along the roadside or are they looping it along telephone poles.

Sickner to be 5-10 minutes away from all this work and know its not for my area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

With the Fibre from NBI will we see Virgin become a provider on the NBI? It would be also no harm if Virgin TV was available also as rural dwellers have been far too heavily dependent on Sky for their pay TV requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

theguzman wrote: »
    With the Fibre from NBI will we see Virgin become a provider on the NBI? It would be also no harm if Virgin TV was available also as rural dwellers have been far too heavily dependent on Sky for their pay TV requirements.

Simple answer ? No !!

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Orebro

Marlow wrote: »
    Simple answer ? No !!

/M

Virgin are listed as one of the providers on the NBI site - is there some reason they would not be a provider on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭Jofspring

They have their own network don't they? In saying that if they can get in on the new network I don't see why they wouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Virgin are listed as one of the providers on the NBI site - is there some reason they would not be a provider on it?

They have never sold on any other infrastructure other than their own

Big call to exclude yourself from 540 thousand potential customers in a country the size of ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,948 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Why does everything you post look like you’ve cut and paste it from somewhere else?

careful now, i got banned from politics for pointing this out...

:eek:

Best not to entertain the trolls, we all know here that fiber is the best option for the future. We can all just keep focusing on the day that a speedtest from an NBI connection is finally posted!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭cregmon

Has anyone been watching where the deployment boundaries for NBI throw up unusual results. I can see in the neighbouring townlands several instances where one premises has a confirmed deployment date and a nearby one is still awaiting a survey. Several of these are on the same driveway.
    Unfortunately it doesn't inspire confidence in the planning if results are not checked for waywardness like this before they're uploaded to the public facing databases.

Confirmed Premises vs Waiting Survey
    Attachment not found.Attachment not found.
    Attachment not found. Attachment not found.

• Advertisement

cregmon wrote: »
    Has anyone been watching where the deployment boundaries for NBI throw up unusual results. I can see in the neighbouring townlands several instances where one premises has a confirmed deployment date and a nearby one is still awaiting a survey. Several of these are on the same driveway.
    Unfortunately it doesn't inspire confidence in the planning if results are not checked for waywardness like this before they're uploaded to the public facing databases.

Yes I've noticed the exact same thing - houses literally across the road from each other getting different results along a road, and in one case in a row of 4 houses, the first 2 are confirmed by March 2021, next one says pending, then the 4th says March 2021!

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Yes. Both coils are up a pole. Both subducts come out of an Eir manhole at the base.
    Although you may have the scenarios they both are used in reverse in this case. The white duct appears to be used for short runs where the fibre will transition from overhead down into a duct then back out of the duct and up the pole to overhead again. These would be short runs of 100mtrs and often less.

The thin black one seems to be coming from an Eir chamber on the main road that links back to the Enet MAN which is a longer run.

It's hard to know what exactly is going on from a single picture without knowing the exact location and having access to duct maps.
    cregmon wrote: »

Both of those examples are right on the edge of the Ballinasloe deployment area. It is possible, in the second case at least, that the first premises will be included in Ballinasloe while the second will be in the Athlone deployment.

The first example is a bit stranger because, as you say they appear to share a driveway but again the second premises may miss out.

It's hard to know what exactly is going on from a single picture without knowing the exact location and having access to duct maps.

Both of those examples are right on the edge of the Ballinasloe deployment area. It is possible, in the second case at least, that the first premises will be included in Ballinasloe while the second will be in the Athlone deployment.

The first example is a bit stranger because, as you say they appear to share a driveway but again the second premises may miss out.

Oh man, if I was that second house I'd probably block the driveway with my car and refuse to let them leave until they connected me :D:D:D

Oh man, if I was that second house I'd probably block the driveway with my car and refuse to let them leave until they connected me :D:D:D

Waterproof ethernet cable across the road into the neighbours house, i'd have no problem doing it if my neighbours next door could get it!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Yes I've noticed the exact same thing - houses literally across the road from each other getting different results along a road, and in one case in a row of 4 houses, the first 2 are confirmed by March 2021, next one says pending, then the 4th says March 2021!

Nothing that extreme but I have noticed looking at the current works in Galway:

You can almost literally draw a line across half of Corandulla/Annaghdown and see the bottom half (closer to the city) with the Jan - March connection date, and then a stones throw up the road in the same village, Premises pending survey.

So I'm just assuming the OLT/DA for Galway extended as far as it can go and the houses further north are part of another DA? I was wondering if they would just extend the cabling to connect these houses but maybe those in the thread such as NBAiii can explain why its not feasible.

Will grab a pic later from the NBI map.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Off topic here but just a thought in my head, it is equally strange that Virgin don't sell on either OpenEIR Fibre or Siro, I would have thought Fibre is perfect for Cable TV and should be superior to the Docsis Copper-Coax that Virgin use. If I opened my own isp tomorrow could I demand access to Virgin's Docsis Copper-Coax network, has that been regulated and open to competition like OpenEir, Siro or NBI?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

theguzman wrote: »
    Off topic here but just a thought in my head, it is equally strange that Virgin don't sell on either OpenEIR Fibre or Siro, I would have thought Fibre is perfect for Cable TV and should be superior to the Docsis Copper-Coax that Virgin use. If I opened my own isp tomorrow could I demand access to Virgin's Docsis Copper-Coax network, has that been regulated and open to competition like OpenEir, Siro or NBI?

I believe the copper coax network was paid for in a completely private fashion and so there's no requirement to open it up to anyone. OpenEir, Siro and NBI are different as they're operating explicitly as wholesalers. Their commercial proposition is based around ISPs buying into their networks. Virgin have been explicitly called out by NBI as someone they will be selling to:
    NBI will sell capacity to every retail operator in Ireland, including Comcast’s Sky, Liberty Global’s Virgin Media, UK-based Vodafone and probably Eir

https://nbi.ie/news/latest/2020/06/26/nokia-wins-ftth-contract-for-half-a-million-rural-homes-in-ireland/

The question is in what capacity will Virgin be using the network....it may not be for end consumers, but rather backhaul for their own copper/coax network.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

The question is in what capacity will Virgin be using the network....it may not be for end consumers, but rather backhaul for their own copper/coax network.

The NBI network can't be used to backhaul connectivity to customers unless they're in the intervention area, as far as I know.

How do Virgin operate in the UK - do they only use their own infrastructure there too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

How do Virgin operate in the UK - do they only use their own infrastructure there too?

Yes. Virgin operates on the same principle everywhere. And they do not like to share.

They do buy backhaul on other networks to get from one place to another. But wherever they can, they replace that with their own infrastructure eventually.

/M

Advertisement