Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Italy banned flights form China 21 days before their cases took off from 3 to 23. How did that work for them?

So. Have they traced the source of infection? Also I posted research from lancelet indicating instances of 21+ days incubation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

hmmm wrote: »
    This is different to an approaching storm, the shops will be restocked over the next few days. It's just a pity people hadn't been throwing in one or two items over the past few weeks, rather than shoving everything into their trollies at one go. We need a public education campaign showing people how to stockpile properly in a way which doesn't cause shortages.

In my mothers time, houses used to have pantries/larders with a stockpile of food that lasted a while as a matter of course.

Somehow, that seems to have become lost knowledge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Interesting scientific report on Sky News that even dramatic Chinese type restrictions might initially reduce the spread of the virus but there's no guarantee the numbers wouldn't spike again next autumn.

The good news is though they think the numbers should fall drastically once we get into summer, no matter what approach the authorities go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

So. Have they traced the source of infection? Also I posted research from lancelet indicating instances of 21+ days incubation.

So how would banning flights or two weeks quarantine help now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

[img][/img]https://ibb.co/wss56RD
    Thought it was hilarious that the Lyons tea was still left 😂

That's Corkonians for yah boy, loyal to our own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,238 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Yeah I never understood the health authorities here saying its low risk when you see it sprouting all over Italy, Iran and everywhere else. If the WHO is saying it could last through the summer I can imagine all festivals will have to be cancelled and suppose I could do with a lay year hiding in the corner of my bedroom isolating hahaha. :)

But it currently is a low risk.

What's with all the mentalers convinced the HSE are lying to us? And I'm not quite sure who's pulling the strings either, the HSE, big business or Leo himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,936 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Ohmeha wrote: »
    FG/Varadkar/Harris/Holohan/HSE determining that setting up a table at Dublin Airport to hand out leaflets to travelers in from Northern Italy was the most effective preemptive measure to save lives

I have heard both Irish and UK medical experts say screening at airports is useless. It can be in your system for 14 days before it shows, and remember that governments take advice from people who know what they are talking about.

But hey, don't let that get in the way of your anti gov rant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Just putting a marker up here. Heard we've had our first death. Hopefully it's just fake news. Just wondering if that's doing thevrounds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,238 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Deco99 wrote: »
    Just putting a marker up here. Heard we've had our first death. Hopefully it's just fake news. Just wondering if that's doing thevrounds

Every bit of bollox is doing the rounds, be it true or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

hmmm wrote: »
    Italy were also one of the few EU countries which banned flights from China early.

The scientists told us travel bans wouldn't work, and countries went ahead with them anyway. It's ironic (in an unfortunate way) that Italy becomes the first EU country with a significant outbreak, but it just shows that the science was correct.
    Israel banned flights on same day. 21 cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Volthar

Italy banned flights form China 21 days before their cases took off from 3 to 23. How did that work for them?

In Italy, it all kicked off after hospital staff messed-up, while in Ireland... oh... wait... Limerick...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Quick calculation of current cases per million population,

South Korea 128 per million
    Iceland 100 (pop 340,000)
    Italy 76
    China 58
    Iran 56
    Norway 18
    Sweden 13
    France 9
    Belgium 9
    Germany 8
    Spain 6
    Austria 6
    Ireland 4
    Denmark 3
    UK 2
    Canada 1
    Portugal 0.8
    USA 0.8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Fair enough you acknowledge that this is totally unconfirmed.
    But can you tell us where you got the info from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

NOT ENOUGH DRAMA.

Fcuckssake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

boege wrote: »
    You hold a press conference at 8pm and present figures from a report you received earlier in the day - so how much earlier - midday? The report itself is based in in test reports provided even earlier.

The Irish Times article is closely matching the numbers I am hearing so the media is getting more up to date information.
    What article?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Imagine how much worse it would be now if they hadn't?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

juno10353 wrote: »
    https://www.earthcam.com/world/ireland/dublin/?cam=templebar

Temple bar getting busy, just like normal Friday night. See above live webcam. Virus down the road at Trinity not stopping tourists.

Looks very quiet to me for a Friday night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

Do you mean that there are a lot of new cases that haven't been confirmed and reported yet?

Yes - I am talking about cases admitted into isolation units. I am guessing they are not counted today as their tests results came in too late to be included in the press briefing. The briefing mentioned something about time cut off but I did not catch what was said.

In addition, no mention of mid west medical staff told to self quarantine as a result of earlier reported incident.

My sense of what we heard tonight is a picture that existed around lunch time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Volthar wrote: »
    In Italy, it all kicked off after hospital staff messed-up, while in Ireland... oh... wait... Limerick...

I don't get this reference? Care to explain? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

I'm told the one in the east tonight is in north wexford about half way between Arklow and Gorey
    Also just back from North Italy
    I've been given the name and I know them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭touts

It'll happen eventually. Keep saying it each day and when it comes through you will be a visionary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

The RTE report of the 22 cases.

Edit: Sorry I thought it was an actual report.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Hurrache wrote: »
    Every bit of bollox is doing the rounds, be it true or not.

Ya, the panic buying of stuff in shops is selfish and stupid. Why would there be a shortage of loo roll ffs. People who are not in the at risk groups stocking up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Wait until our economy starts tanking due to worldwide Covid 19 recession - as the number of cases and deaths rise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

niallo27 wrote: »
    How do you know you are being lied to. It makes no sense to lie to us.
    They never mentioned the person in Trinity College plus the fact that I don't think the Irish Times was lying earlier. Oh and the fact that various posters on here have said the correct figures are not been given. But the biggest giveaway is that you can tell they are lying every time their lips move.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭PrairieDawn

I think the virus only exists on this thread.

I’ve been in the real world since 7 this morning and nobody is bothered.

Ya know what

I think ur rite

touts wrote: »
    It'll happen eventually. Keep saying it each day and when it comes through you will be a visionary.

Nope the marker is just for an hour or two. Just to see. Obviously there will be a death eventually. Not trying to be that guy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

What article?
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-ireland-five-new-cases-confirmed-in-republic-1.4195050

Is that the article with numbers?
    It was edited 26min ago. Did it say something else before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

The RTE report of the 22 cases.
    Including NI.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

coastwatch wrote: »
    Quick calculation of current cases per million population,

South Korea 128 per million
    Iceland 100 (pop 340,000)
    Italy 76
    China 58
    Iran 56
    Norway 18
    Sweden 13
    France 9
    Belgium 9
    Germany 8
    Spain 6
    Austria 6
    Ireland 4
    Denmark 3
    UK 2
    Canada 1
    Portugal 0.8
    USA 0.8

Can’t help but feel that Ireland’s stats are skewed as many of our cases relate to a unit of travellers such as families or groups

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement