Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Attachment not found.

A lot of noise on twitter regarding this pic. Is this recent?

What annoys me about this is there are people who actually think these lads are mad craic altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Tried to stay away from it this evening but WhatsApp groups are lit all day and this was probably already posted but what the **** is wrong with people

https://twitter.com/SimonHarrisTD/status/1238929572701384704?s=19

Selfish bastards putting the lives of elderly and immune deficient people at risk and ****ing over the people doing God's work in the hospitals

Call it faux outrage but personally I'm ****ing disgusted at this behaviour

Fair ****s to Harris for calling this out straight

What Simon Harris isn't saying is that the message hasn't been strong enough. Via facebook, twitter adverts in the news papers, constant public service announcements. The message has been very weak. Very weak indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

50% of ICU cases in France are under 60

Source please

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

YFlyer wrote: »
    For my farming relatives. Will sheep dip kill the virus?

The pour on is better

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Keplar240B wrote: »
    One of the biggest problems with the whole crisis is peoples failure to grasp the exponential function.
    A scientist puts a bacteria in a petri dish at exactly noon. Every minute, the bacteria divides into two. At exactly 1:00 PM, the petri dish is full. At what time was the dish half full?

You're clearly not a scientist.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

skimpydoo wrote: »
    Simon expressing outrage is not enough, he has the power to close the pubs now but I have a feeling he will wait till Wednesday to do this. The Vintners Association has too much power in Ireland.

Didn't stop flights from infected countries, but yeah, outrage because government/EU won't close pubs.

Horse bolted etc ........

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Sorry to hear you are unwell. I don't know where you are but suspect it's Cork since you mentioned SouthDoc.

I thought there was a drive through facility for testing in Cork, or was that just a Facebook thing.

Examiner reckons it's a thing.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/drive-thru-coronavirus-test-facility-opened-in-cork-city-987803.html

Not clear if it's doing tests yet and if it is they are by referral.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,353 ✭✭✭✭walshb

What annoys me about this is there are people who actually think these lads are mad craic altogether.

It’s so unfunny, and not because it could be deemed offensive; it’s just childishly immature..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Absolute gob****es

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

ITman88 wrote: »
    Ironically, you have questioned people’s grasping of exponential functions . . . But said the bacteria divides, it multiplies!!

Facepalm moment IT:pac:

Bacteria reproduce by dividing! If one thing divides in two it becomes two things!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,519 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Attachment not found.

what a bunch of absolute cnuts. Hope they dont get served anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Shn99 wrote: »
    Are there any modelling projections? I remember hearing on the news that modelling predictions would be completed this week but heard nothing more of it.

64 dead and 16538 counted cases by next Saturday by my calculations. Real infection rate 65K. based on the R-0 and exponential function.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

In the absence of that they should be shut down for a few weeks

The problem is the ingrained Irish entitlement culture - I should get my free house, someone else should pay tax, I should be allowed go to the pub when there is an epidemic etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭amacca

One of the biggest problems with the whole crisis is peoples failure to grasp the exponential function.
    A scientist puts a bacteria in a petri dish at exactly noon. Every minute, the bacteria divides into two. At exactly 1:00 PM, the petri dish is full. At what time was the dish half full?

12:59 ...do I get a prize?

survival hopefully because I am not a moron?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

64 dead and 16538 counted cases by next Saturday by my calculations. Real infection rate 65K. based on the R-0 and exponential function.

if we were to have 16k cases the death rate would definitely be higher, our health service would be crippled

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

The dole queue is going to get very long very quickly. The government will need a system to stop everything trying to sign on all at once.
    Businesses are already closing and laying off people.

I’m not being flippant, but if we have the kind of numbers that they are seeing in Italy, this will be the last thing on most peoples mind. I hope whatever happens my mum, my in laws and other vulnerable people I know are safe and alive. Don’t care if it sounds corny, I really hope this crisis helps us mould a better financial system. It’s crazy we have to concern ourselves with the economy when thousands are possibly going to die. I’m not having a go at you because I know many, myself included, are thinking about what you are saying , I just think it’s sad that it’s even relevant when some people we know (Or ourselves) might not make it over the next few months. Just shows how deeply ingrained the power of the financial system is in our psyche that even The threat of death can’t frighten us into forgetting about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

statesaver wrote: »
    People here praising Simon Harris for calling out a pub in Dublin as great leadership or a sign of strength need to get real.
    This is a government minister who did nothing or refused to stop flights from infected countries because "movement of people, single market". EU seems to be first then Irish.

Ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Feels weird that shut-in losers like me are going to survive this but millions are going to die because they couldn't restrain themselves from going out and having 'de mad craic on de sesh' for a couple of weeks.

Can any of you normies explain this mentality to me? What on Earth is so bad about having to stay in on a Saturday night? Are you that terrified that people will think you are 'anti social' for staying in?

Lets pretend you had to go to a nightclub and stay till 3.30am and youre there with the sales department from your workplace. You see how much you hate that, thats how much extroverts hate staying in.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,602 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

How do people feel about people getting take away from take away or reateraunts?
    Lots of places are pushing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

statesaver wrote: »
    People here praising Simon Harris for calling out a pub in Dublin as great leadership or a sign of strength need to get real.
    This is a government minister who did nothing or refused to stop flights from infected countries because "movement of people, single market". EU seems to be first then Irish.

Yep. It was the same the other night when Coveney was on PT. The EU make the decisions and Irish politicians (not just limited to FG either) follow regardless.

It's been happening for a long time, but more noticeably since the financial crisis. Even when other EU countries are breaking rank and taking their own measures, we're still waiting to be told what to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

cloudatlas wrote: »
    What Simon Harris isn't saying is that the message hasn't been strong enough. Via facebook, twitter adverts in the news papers, constant public service announcements. The message has been very weak. Very weak indeed.
    I am sorry but that is complete BS.
    The covid-19 posters are everywhere, adverts on tv, there is wall to wall coverage on media everywhere of the situation and it's seriousness.
    People are well aware of the fact they need to avoid large crowds, social distancing etc
    Some people just don't give a f#ck.
    So now the pubs will likely be shut, the government have been left little choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Drumpot wrote: »
    I’m not being flippant, but if we have the kind of numbers that they are seeing in Italy, this will be the last thing on most peoples mind. I hope whatever happens my mum, my in laws and other vulnerable people I know are safe and alive. Don’t care if it sounds corny, I really hope this crisis helps us mound a better financial system. It’s crazy we have to concern ourselves with the economy when thousands are possibly going to die. I’m not having a go at you because I know many, myself included, are thinking about what you are saying , I just think it’s sad that it’s even relevant when some people we know (Or ourselves) might not make it over the next few months. Just shows how deeply ingrained the power of the financial system is in our psyche that even The threat of death can’t frighten us into forgetting about it.

This. I really hope when we overcome all of this when we come out the other side we have a different approach to life as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

ITman88 wrote: »
    Ironically, you have questioned people’s grasping of exponential functions . . . But said the bacteria divides, it multiplies!!
    Bacteria multiply through cell division.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Just listening to BBC5 Live. If the UK Govt continue their current strategy of herd infection then a scientist on the show predicts conservatively 70'000 deaths plus a collapse of the NHS. He foresees a scenario where treatment will be on the basis of expected likelihood of survival. Scary

Why do you all think this is an "Irish thing"? In most countries, life continues largely as normal. The only "Irish thing" here is the continual obsession with looking at Irish people as different and special, in either good or bad ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Attachment not found.

It looks like people on a stag weekend. The Corona beer gave it away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Drumpot wrote: »
    I’m not being flippant, but if we have the kind of numbers that they are seeing in Italy, this will be the last thing on most peoples mind. I hope whatever happens my mum, my in laws and other vulnerable people I know are safe and alive. Don’t care if it sounds corny, I really hope this crisis helps us mound a better financial system. It’s crazy we have to concern ourselves with the economy when thousands are possibly going to die. I’m not having a go at you because I know many, myself included, are thinking about what you are saying , I just think it’s sad that it’s even relevant when some people we know (Or ourselves) might not make it over the next few months. Just shows how deeply ingrained the power of the financial system is in our psyche that even The threat of death can’t frighten us into forgetting about it.

If people have no money they starve. Its less about "the economy" and more about literal queues for payment/resources when supposed to be avoiding gatherings.

At least thats where my concern lies atm when i read that comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

kakee wrote: »

P.S: The Brits are making a balls of it again and are not staying at home. Lots of them are going to die because they are not staying at home. Don't be like the Brits. Stay at home.

Are you in the U.K.? Where I am the numbers in pubs/cafes has gone down and there are less people in the streets but you know best obviously because you are in another country.

It's more of the 'not us look at them mentality'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

How do people feel about people getting take away from take away or reateraunts?

Got a pizza from local chipper tonight then coincidently someone told me there's a rumour one of the lads working in the chipper has tested positive. Lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

We've had text messages from 2 takeaways. A chinese offering 20% off and a regular chipper offering 10% off, free delivery and reassurance that they are following hygiene protocol ect ect...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement