Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

gmisk wrote: »
    So now the pubs will likely be shut, the government have been left little choice.

I expect it to be called before Paddies day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I’m keeping a mental note of all the people on Instagram, Snapchat coming out with the most basic inane ****e and thinking they’re witty or funny, a few who are the usual to put up the poor healthcare worker Facebook statutes, who are out and ****ing gargling to their hearts content

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

kakee wrote: »
    This is a post some lad put up on Facebook. You would want to see the stupid replies he is getting from some, calling him stupid, scaremongering etc. Unbelievable that people still ain't getting the message.
    Here is the link for it.
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2628633673930845&id=100003527145747

WHY IRELAND IS IN TROUBLE

Lads,

I've been reading about this virus .....

The lad is Ger Redser O'Grady, former Tipp Senior County Hurler.
    It's his opinion (and he's entitled to one.)

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2628633673930845&id=100003527145747
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ger_O%27Grady

• Registered Users Posts: 7,449 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

holyhead wrote: »
    Just listening to BBC5 Live. If the UK Govt continue their current strategy of herd infection then a scientist on the show predicts conservatively 70'000 deaths plus a collapse of the NHS. He foresees a scenario where treatment will be on the basis of expected likelihood of survival. Scary

Starting to think this might have some credibility with the way this virus is spreading.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭juno10353

Its Benidorm. That's a weekly warning they send to everyone

Stop. This is no joke. Spain and the Canary Islands to have same from 8.00am Monday.
    France on lockdown from midnight tonight.

Coming soon to a street near you

https://twitter.com/privowen/status/1238916943802961920

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

YFlyer wrote: »
    Sheep dip is not a living specimen. I don't see the relationship. Explain

most dips contain diazinon, an organophosphate. google how that can harm you

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Grueller Baby

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

namloc1980 wrote: »
    How do pubs enforce social distancing exactly? I mean you have a load of lads with 5 or 6 pints on board- how do you force them into social distancing?

Was in a pub at lunchtime today and every second table had a reserved sign and nobody was allowed sit at them. You had to wash your hands on the way in. Another sign said if it got too full, you would be refused.

So it could work, but it only takes one entitlement culture addict to say I won’t wash my hands or I want to sit at that table or I won’t go away because you’re not really full. So sooner or later it won’t work because of idiots like that who will then probably complain about the government.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I believe it is a valid point. there is stupidity on display from those packing the pubs. but equal hysteria on display from posters on here.

That is all I am saying

Difference is the people who are showing ‘hysteria’ are those who just don’t want people to contract the virus and for those people to pass it on to more vulnerable people.

The people showing ‘stupidity’ literally do not give a **** about any of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

I am sorry but that is complete BS.
    The covid-19 posters are everywhere, adverts on tv, there is wall to wall coverage on media everywhere of the situation and it's seriousness.
    People are well aware of the fact they need to avoid large crowds.
    Some people just don't give a f#ck.
    So now the pubs will likely be shut, the government have been left little choice.

I haven't been out and about in Dublin city centre much over the past few days but when I was out, I didn't see any posters around.

People should obviously be well aware at this stage as to what the advice is but just saying that I didn't see what you're saying when walking around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Axfrderr

ITman88 wrote: »
    Ironically, you have questioned people’s grasping of exponential functions . . . But said the bacteria divides, it multiplies!!

https://www.google.com/search?q=reproduction+by+division&oq=reproduction+by+division&aqs=chrome..69i57.20869j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Facepalm moment IT:pac:

Bacteria reproduce by dividing! If one thing divides in two it becomes two things!!

OH FFS and to think I did biology until leaving cert!!
    I won’t delete my comment tho my bad!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Keplar240B wrote: »
    One of the biggest problems with the whole crisis is peoples failure to grasp the exponential function.
    A scientist puts a bacteria in a petri dish at exactly noon. Every minute, the bacteria divides into two. At exactly 1:00 PM, the petri dish is full. At what time was the dish half full?

I'm a pessimist so the dish was half empty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Anyone else se the pic on twitter of a bunch of egits dressed in disposable overalls and masks and one guy dressed as a bottle of corona queuing to get into the temple bar? Tell me that's not real.

I saw them pass by the infamous webcam in Temple Bar earlier this evening.
    They should be locked up for sheer stupidity and for their own good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,940 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

if gov didn't want people in pubs order them closed otherwise they give them the wrong impression.

Have been posting here since thread one and some might remember me talking about my family. Mam, late 60s diabetic but extremely fit (like way fitter than me) and looks way, waaay younger than her years, immuno compromised brother. Gran turning 101 in approximately 14 days and my dad in his 70s, with heart trouble but still working and contributing to society and enjoying life.

I have kept on top of all the info surrounding covid since way back in January and have felt more in control and less panicked as a result of that. Have stocked up on bits here and there and didn't need to panic shop and have taken this seriously from the get go.

I mentioned on thread one or two that my mam was shrugging this off as a flu and nothing to worry about.

But I have good news to report. A couple of weeks ago my brother started working from home and after a long chat with me, we both had words with our parents and my mam rose to the ocassion, stocked up the house and got my dad on board. Was with them this week and they are taking every precaution they can and I'm very reassured.

My dad is off work until the end of the month but will be back then which is a worry as it's not a job that can be done from home. I saw someone mention that the uk is making over 70s quarantine. I hope that happens here because it's the only way my dad will skip work. He's very dedicated otherwise.

My spirits have been relatively high these last couple of months even while recognising the severity of this situtation but depsite the good news about my family, I find myself tonight a little down about it all.

Looking at the figures from Italy and all the poor souls who have passed. It doesn't matter if they were old or sick or anything else...this wasn't their time. This was foisted on them by the actions of others and it seems to me supremely unfair.

Anyways, I'm on the wine. I haven't drank in a long time but it seems a reasonable time for a glass or two. At home though. Not in the pub. I'm not one of those arseholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I am sorry but that is complete BS.
    The covid-19 posters are everywhere, adverts on tv, there is wall to wall coverage on media everywhere of the situation and it's seriousness.
    People are well aware of the fact they need to avoid large crowds.
    Some people just don't give a f#ck.

I watched Varadkar the other day, his announcement was incredibly short compared with the UK press conference that went on for over half an hour talking to people. I log in to facebook/ youtube etc. and adverts from the nhs pop up because the government mandated it so you aren't telling the truth. The message from the Irish government has been weak and a partial lockdown, people don't think it's good enough so instead of criticising the Irish government they are on here criticising the U.K. which is bizarre but makes sense as it distracts from the issues at hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Keplar240B wrote: »
    64 dead and 16538 counted cases by next Saturday by my calculations. Real infection rate 65K. based on the R-0 and exponential function.

Ludicrous, there will be nowhere near this next week

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Got a pizza from local chipper tonight then coincidently someone told me there's a rumour one of the lads working in the chipper has tested positive. Lovely.

I was thinking today if buying fresh food like bread is safe. Probably safer to get packed food and such which has been packed at least few days before the consumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,717 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I can't believe how quickly the whole scenario is moving. Hourly, let alone day to day.

Only on Wednesday, I was trying to remain positive and saying to friends to try live your life somebit normal, but continually washing hands, practicing good hygiene measures, contactless payments and no touching etc.

Went for 4 or 5 quiet pints last night, sat on my own in a very quiet bar. Definitely 3m space between the next people. And now I am thinking why the f**k did I do that that. I'm just under 30 so in that age bracket that is currently in the pubs all over the country. And in hating them doing it now.

The videos of temple bar etc are a disgrace. A real kick in the teeth to the front line health workers that are keeping this country on the road currently.

Looking at those videos from Spain is a real eye opener.

• Advertisement

To all of you that mentioned Stephen Kings, The Stand, wayyyyyyyy back when Thread One moved at a leisurely pace. Thank you! I found the entire mini series on YouTube and I’m engrossed.

Now I understand all the Captain Tripps references :D

I’m off to Mother Abigails now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭HBC08

Pretty sure that’s an old episode.

As mentioned wasnt sure if it was live.
    Ant and Decs show was definitely live.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Shn99 wrote: »
    We've had text messages from 2 takeaways. A chinese offering 20% off and a regular chipper offering 10% off, free delivery and reassurance that they are following hygiene protocol ect ect...

These delivery drivers can be vectors for spreading a virus. How many people would the averave food delivery person meet per working day?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

How do people feel about people getting take away from take away or reateraunts?
    Lots of places are pushing this.

If they had **** hygiene before you just didn't notice . Nothings changed but the consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,305 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Attachment not found.

A lot of noise on twitter regarding this pic. Is this recent?

I really hope the bouncer is saying something like, "go away and fcuk off you stupid bunch of cúnts!".

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭forgodssake

I turned 40 today . To go on social media and see those assholes in the pub sickens my **** . I spent the day holed up at home as I will be doing until my shift on the frontline on Monday . People will never ****ing learn. I'm so angry. Stay safe guys x

• Registered Users Posts: 8,730 ✭✭✭sudzs

Hurrache wrote: »
    I expect it to be called before Paddies day.

I say a week tomorrow, 22nd will be last orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Starting to think this might have some credibility with the way this virus is spreading.
    I can easily see 200K+ deaths thanks to Boris, Dominc and the other psychopaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I saw someone mention that the uk is making over 70s quarantine. I hope that happens here because it's the only way my dad will skip work. He's very dedicated otherwise.

The U.K are doing nothing according to most on this thread, you must be mistaken. That wasn't mentioned in the press conference that went on for more than 40 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

cloudatlas wrote: »
    I watched Varadkar the other day, his announcement was incredibly short compared with the UK press conference that went on for over half an hour talking to people. I log in to facebook/ youtube etc. and adverts from the nhs pop up because the government mandated it so you aren't telling the truth. The message from the Irish government has been weak and a partial lockdown, people don't think it's good enough so instead of criticising the Irish government they are on here criticising the U.K. which is bizarre but makes sense as it distracts from the issues at hand.

It's almost if you were working PR for the Tories. Longer doesn't equate to best.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement