Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

One would have to wonder, how to we return to normality....even when do we return to normality. There wont be a vaccine for 12-18 months. The partial lockdown will surely last longer than March 29 IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Attachment not found.

A lot of noise on twitter regarding this pic. Is this recent?

It looks like a stag party and if it is, I must admit, it is funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,540 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

walshb wrote: »
    Ok, what’s the best educated researched guess on the numbers that will text positive in Ireland by say, end April?

If there was only a 5% increase in daily new numbers it would be over 7000 at the end of April
    Reality is it starts to jump up massively and then starts to reduce in the daily increases (relative to the previous day)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Lord TSC wrote: »
    The gov said no groups of over 100, and everyone should stay 1 meter apart. That was an initial attempt at a compromise.

The response was for a load of people to flock to pubs, blatently ignore the warnings, and actively make fun of them in places.

So, after trying to compromise, the government will likely now move to order them closed.

This idea seems flawed. Nobody goes with the intention of being a wanker, it’s the same idea that I’m not the problem, everyone else is the problem. Allowing 100 people to congregate is essentially saying it’s okay to go out on the beer. 100 is a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I turned 40 today . To go on social media and see those assholes in the pub sickens my **** . I spent the day holed up at home as I will be doing until my shift on the frontline on Monday . People will never ****ing learn. I'm so angry. Stay safe guys x

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

And thank you for being there Monday and every other day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

My 50th birthday is later this year in late October and I hope to be able to celebrate it, but I shall have to wait and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Hurrache wrote: »
    I expect it to be called before Paddies day.

I expect over 50 new cases tomorrow and it to be called then.

There is outrage tonight on social media over the goings on in Temple Bar. I'd imagine Harris and Varadkar phones have been pinging all evening. Rightly so.

**** the Vintners and their Paddy's Day cash cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,778 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I turned 40 today . To go on social media and see those assholes in the pub sickens my **** . I spent the day holed up at home as I will be doing until my shift on the frontline on Monday . People will never ****ing learn. I'm so angry. Stay safe guys x

Happy Birthday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Idiots

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Acosta wrote: »
    Matthew Syed on Sky News press preview telling a nice story how he earlier brought his young kids to see his elderly father who has health issues. The ****ing state of the British media.

I spend a considerable amount of time working in England. We have incredibly different cultures, this may have always been the case though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

People need to be wary if the source of information that they are forwarding. I've been sent this from a few people now.

I am not saying it isn't correct, but it should be taken with a level of scepticism

Completly agree. I'm sure Ger Redser O'Grady is a good Inter County hurler, but not sure if he's an expert on pandemics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Shn99 wrote: »
    One would have to wonder, how to we return to normality....even when do we return to normality. There wont be a vaccine for 12-18 months. The partial lockdown will surely last longer than March 29 IMO.

Schools, Uni's and Creches won't be open again until September at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

#closethepubs is now trending on Twitter!! Get on to it and keep this movement going!!
    I was just about to post this
    https://twitter.com/dublinbypub/status/1238896235710423040?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 18,305 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

owlbethere wrote: »
    It looks like a stag party and if it is, I must admit, it is funny.

About as funny as a global pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

skimpydoo wrote: »
    My 50th birthday is later this year in late October and I hope to be able to celebrate it, but I shall have to wait and see.

There are people in ICU tonight, families grieving, 163 families on the island worrying about loved ones with COVID19. Im sure your celebration can wait if needs be

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

Is there a cull in the UK I'm not messing does Boris want rid of the blue rinse brigade. Awful what he's doing there

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Corkgirl20

Is anybody else slightly hoping for a lock down scenario? I mean closure of pubs and retail mainly.

I know we can’t just eliminate the virus through lock down, but we can slow the spread. Let’s be real Ireland doesn’t have a great amount of ICU beds ( a lot less than Italy per population) and I’m not sure about numbers of ventilators. Staff in the hospital seems to be run off their feet as it is.

If we just slow the numbers at least people will get a good chance at being treated and sent home making more space for the next lot to come in and be treated. I really really fear an Italy type scenario where too many people need icu at once and healthcare workers are forced to decide who to give it to.

I’m not fearful for my own health I’m late 20s and healthy but I fear greatly for older people. Im really hoping for a lock down scenario where only essential places like supermarkets and pharmacies stay open. The spread of the virus just needs to slow down so our Hospitals can cope better.
    Lock down would only be us being asked to stay home and sit on the couch, it’s not that hard !

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

33rd this day next week.

Had tickets to Trevor Noah in the 3Arena.

Postponed.

No harm, I'll order a takeaway from my favorite Chinese.

Closing because of the virus.

So, I guess my birthday will be a long day of gaming. Nothing new there then :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

mloc123 wrote: »
    And did you watch the full 60-90 minute press conference after he spoke with Coveney, Harris and a handful of others? i guess not..

Guess I just saw the announcement from Washington that was posted on here. Can't find anything on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Happy Birthday, enjoy your downtime until work on Monday. What is the frontline for you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭d51984

Happy birthday forgodssak, thanks for your service.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    I expect over 50 new cases tomorrow and it to be called then.

There is outrage tonight on social media over the goings on in Temple Bar. I'd imagine Harris and Varadkar phones have been pinging all evening. Rightly so.

**** the Vintners and their Paddy's Day cash cow.

The thing is, only Irish gob****es go out in Temple Bar, we've no excuse as we should know how much of a **** hole it is. Durty fordeners spreading their virus's's's's

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Shn99 wrote: »
    There are people in ICU tonight, families grieving, 163 families on the island worrying about loved ones with COVID19. Im sure your celebration can wait if needs be

ah come on, the guy is trying to have some optimistic outlook that things may be normal by October...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

martin101 wrote: »
    Just got a photo from my mate. He was also out last night and again tonight. Picture of his pint and shot at the bar in a pub in town. Saying getting pissed. This guy works in a nursing home. Id love to report him to the nursing home. Disgrace.

Please do. The elderly people of this country deserve far better than to have a carer like that.

You will skimpy, you will. See you here in late October and we’ll raise a toast to you x

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Hurrache wrote: »
    You're criticising, and making it personal, Leo Varadkar, while defending the UKs impotency

How is it personal? I don't understand what you've written either, Leo Varadkar, Ireland's impotency.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Starting to think this might have some credibility with the way this virus is spreading.

Correct or not will probably be proven when China lift the lockdown.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-china/chinas-imported-coronavirus-cases-rise-as-local-infections-drop-again-idUSKBN21106O

They are reported as having more imported cases at the moment than home grown cases which will be interesting to see if it kicks off again in China because of these imported cases and herd immunity/vacination becomes the only way to ultimately contain it!

cloudatlas wrote: »
    The U.K are doing nothing according to most on this thread, you must be mistaken. That wasn't mentioned in the press conference that went on for more than 40 minutes.

No sorry you're correct it was a story saying they are considering making over 70s quarantine for four months.

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-03-14/elderly-to-be-quarantined-for-four-months-in-wartime-style-mobilisation-to-combat-coronavirus/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

JRant wrote: »
    Not a single country, including the epicenter has anywhere near that 40% infection rate. That's an alarmist figure that bares no basis in reality.
    Anyway, think you forgot to carry the one on those calculations. It's not 2%, it's 0.2% for that age cohort.

That's what WHO predict.

Do the maths. 0.2 % of 2,000,000 aged 18-42 is 40,000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

I don't know if this will reassure anyone and I don't have the Irish figures but just looked up the number of over 60 year olds in the UK. It's over 12 million. 12 million! This thing isn't going to get even a million. Half a million is the UK worst case prediction. Which would be truly horrific. But it probably isn't going to come to that. It's going to be bad, perhaps very bad, but surely on these numbers the chances of us personally losing people decreases? (I will try to find the Irish figures)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement