Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

Yes: valved
    fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^

admit it ..you're ashamed to be a Man U fan

The virus has mitigated the embarrassment ok - we'll rise again though ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Yes: surgical
    railer201 wrote: »
    508886.jpg

Here's my version of the DIY cloth mask as per the CDC tutorial >>> https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/diy-cloth-face-coverings.html

It's a very simple design - I've added a central layer of brushed cotton from old pyjamas and the two outside cotton layers are from an old denim shirt. All washed before hand, I hasten to add.

Two old shoe laces form the ear loops, cut to the correct size after trying the mask on for a snug fit, which it is. It does give very full face coverage ok.. I used a sewing machine but it could easily be hand stitched as well.

Attachment not found.

Just need to put a clothes peg on the bridge of your nose to plug that gap and job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

otnomart wrote: »
    I understood that a surgical mask blocks the "output" much more than a mask with a filter, though ?

So those with a filter are basically breathing out the virus (if they have it) more than me (if I have it) wearing a surgical one ?

Not true, both type masks effectively "leak" contaminants. They do both stop the projectile spread and the turbulence from breathing, sneezing or coughing. Surgical masks leak out of the sides past your cheeks, with the masks that have a exhaust valve it drops in a predictable area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Where can I order a mask with great protection? (I've lost track of what that is now guidelines wise. Or even the terminology for them - "N95"? "PP3"?)

Delivery to Dublin within a week and I'm trying not to spend more than 100 euros all in

Links would be great

Cheers

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Where can I order a mask with great protection? (I've lost track of what that is now guidelines wise. N95? PP3?)

Delivery to Dublin within a week and I'm trying not to spend more than 100 euros all in

Links would be great

Cheers

Any FFP2 or above from here:
    https://www.caulfieldindustrial.com/c/face-masks/927

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yes: other
    I've been out and about(work) and got my shopping in and noticed the local spar had both hand sanitiser and surgical masks, a pack of ten for a tenner. According to the lass behind the counter supply has opened up on that score, at least for the moment. This is in south Dublin, dunno about the rest of the country, though I have noticed more shops with the sanitiser in the last few days.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,824 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

railer201 wrote: »
    508886.jpg

Here's my version of the DIY cloth mask as per the CDC tutorial >>> https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/diy-cloth-face-coverings.html

It's a very simple design - I've added a central layer of brushed cotton from old pyjamas and the two outside cotton layers are from an old denim shirt. All washed before hand, I hasten to add.

Two old shoe laces form the ear loops, cut to the correct size after trying the mask on for a snug fit, which it is. It does give very full face coverage ok.. I used a sewing machine but it could easily be hand stitched as well.

Attachment not found.
    are you not roasting?

krissovo wrote: »

Thanks for the link

This is one of the few disposable types they still have in stock that are FFP2 https://www.caulfieldindustrial.com/p/delta-plus-m1200vc-ffp2-with-valve-disposable-half-mask-pack-of-10/p-r25743

Does anyone know how many uses you get (on average) from a disposable one of this type?

After X amount of uses they then need to be binned?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

khalessi wrote: »
    if necessary swim goggles if you have them

What about a full face snorkel mask?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Thanks for the link

This is one of the few disposable types they still have in stock that are FFP2 https://www.caulfieldindustrial.com/p/delta-plus-m1200vc-ffp2-with-valve-disposable-half-mask-pack-of-10/p-r25743

Does anyone know how many uses you get (on average) from a disposable one of this type?

After X amount of uses they then need to be binned?

In theory, good practice is to only use them once and to bin the mask as soon as you take it off without touching it (only the elastic straps should be touched when you take it off).

In practice and given the shortage you can reuse them a few times, but you need to be careful with how you handle/store them as after use the front of the mask can obviously have traces of the virus. And also the total usage time shouldn’t be more than 5-10 hours depending on the mask.

• Advertisement

Bob24 wrote: »
    In theory, good practice is to only use them once and to bin the mask as soon as you take it off without touching it (only the elastic straps should be touched when you take it off).

In practice and given the shortage you can reuse them a few times, but you need to be careful with how you handle/store them as after use the front of the mask can obviously have traces of the virus. And also the total usage time shouldn’t be more than 5-10 hours depending on the mask.

So with the mask above it would be 4.50 euros a day (lets call it a fiver) x 7

35 euros a week plus the VAT on top

Doesn't seem sustainable

So with the mask above it would be 4.50 euros a day (lets call it a fiver) x 7

35 euros a week plus the VAT on top

Doesn't seem sustainable

You need to measure the risk, in my case I go shopping once a week so I need one mask a week in theory and I only put it on when I leave the car and for the duration of the shop. However I am reusing mine as the virus does not last a week between use, I can also sterilize at 70deg in the oven if needed. I will manage this by assessing how likely is it contaminated, did anyone break the distancing, sneezed or coughed? If this happens I will bin my mask and use a new one next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

Published yesterday this document provides the ECDC opinion on the suitability of face masks and other face covers in the community by individuals who are not ill in order to reduce potential pre-symptomatic or asymptomatic transmission of COVID-19 from the mask wearer to others.

The above link is the Executive summary to a pdf version of the document.
    Washable, reusable face should be washed as soon as possible after each use using common detergent at 60°C. Campaigns for the appropriate use of face masks may improve the effectiveness of the measure.

In light of the call for a grassroots approach from within this thread, here is my improved effectiveness measure for washing reusable masks.

Some may consider it overkill and that's why I endorse it so much and recommend it for all reusable face mask doers.

STEP 1:
    • Wash hands.
    • Remove mask by elastic from behind ears.
    • Put into zip lock bag.
    • Pour bleach water mix into bag.
    • Wash down outside of bag.
    • Wash hands.

STEP 2:
    • Include mask in next 60 degree machine wash.
    • Remove filter from mask and put in bin.
    • Air dry bag and keep for next contaminated mask.
    • Put new filter into mask and pop into oven at 70 degrees for 40 mins.
    • Wash hands before putting sterilised mask with new filter into zip lock bag.
    • Ready for use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Interesting read here:

The Irish Times: ‘When I look at the viral loads we find in elderly people, it is mind boggling’.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/science/when-i-look-at-the-viral-loads-we-find-in-elderly-people-it-is-mind-boggling-1.4224985?localLinksEnabled=falseThe Irish Times: ‘When I look at the viral loads we find in elderly people, it is mind boggling’.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/science/when-i-look-at-the-viral-loads-we-find-in-elderly-people-it-is-mind-boggling-1.4224985?localLinksEnabled=false

• Registered Users Posts: 17,027 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

No: other
    Wibbs wrote:
    I've been out and about(work) and got my shopping in and noticed the local spar had both hand sanitiser and surgical masks, a pack of ten for a tenner. According to the lass behind the counter supply has opened up on that score, at least for the moment. This is in south Dublin, dunno about the rest of the country, though I have noticed more shops with the sanitiser in the last few days.

In a pharmacy in Kilbarrack yesterday and was stunned to see hand sanitizer on display at the till. Didn't need any myself but it seems to confirm what the Lass told you

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

august12 wrote: »
    Interesting read here:

The Irish Times: ‘When I look at the viral loads we find in elderly people, it is mind boggling’.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/science/when-i-look-at-the-viral-loads-we-find-in-elderly-people-it-is-mind-boggling-1.4224985?localLinksEnabled=falseThe Irish Times: ‘When I look at the viral loads we find in elderly people, it is mind boggling’.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/science/when-i-look-at-the-viral-loads-we-find-in-elderly-people-it-is-mind-boggling-1.4224985?localLinksEnabled=false
    The important bits for us would appear to be:

Covid-19, said Prof Wendtner, “can be transmitted by elderly people in care home”. He advises “face and mouth protection for the entire population, regardless of age”, which is being considered in Germany.

“The viral loads that people encounter when someone coughs in their general direction,” are so high, said Prof Van Ranst, that it makes transmission likely to happen. “Compared to other respiratory viruses, this is remarkable,” he added. It also meant it was easier for those with even mild symptoms to contaminate surfaces.

The Nature paper confirms that “for the milder form of the disease, it doesn’t go as far as the lungs, but stays in the throat”, said immunologist Prof Luke O’Neill of Trinity College Dublin.

“It means it is very transmissible just by talking. You don’t need to cough,” he said. Also, people without symptoms, “are very infectious,
    ” he added.

Going on this bit of research alone would suggest wearing masks is even more important for this dose. It also suggests two metres is the very minimum, if someone coughs at you then no way is enough. It also suggests washing your shopping maybe isn't so daft.

Interesting about the apparent difference between the mild and serious cases, with the former the virus stays in the throat. With such apparently crazy high viral loads you'd think it's going to go straight down the windpipe from the throat to the lungs. I wonder what protects some and not others?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Seanergy wrote: »

STEP 1:
    • Wash hands.
    • Remove mask by elastic from behind ears.
    • Put into zip lock bag.
    • Pour bleach water mix into bag.
    • Wash down outside of bag.
    • Wash hands.

STEP 2:
    • Include mask in next 60 degree machine wash.
    • Remove filter from mask and put in bin.
    • Air dry bag and keep for next contaminated mask.
    • Put new filter into mask and pop into oven at 70 degrees for 40 mins.
    • Wash hands before putting sterilised mask with new filter into zip lock bag.
    • Ready for use.

Christ on a rubber fcuking bike

Think I'll just lock myself away for the next year with the JustEat app (wiping down the food when it arrives of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

Interesting read here:

Covid-19, said Prof Wendtner, “can be transmitted by elderly people in care home”. He advises “face and mouth protection for the entire population, regardless of age”, which is being considered in Germany.

The Nature paper confirms that “for the milder form of the disease, it doesn’t go as far as the lungs, but stays in the throat”, said immunologist Prof Luke O’Neill of Trinity College Dublin.
    “It means it is very transmissible just by talking. You don’t need to cough,” he said. Also, people without symptoms, “are very infectious,” he added.

My emphasis on partial quotes from the article.

Two points - I'm sort of gobsmacked now by the assertion this can be spread merely by talking. That being the case one can see the logic why face coverings are being recommended in Germany and should be introduced here without delay now too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    In a pharmacy in Kilbarrack yesterday and was stunned to see hand sanitizer on display at the till. Didn't need any myself but it seems to confirm what the Lass told you
    Lots of hand sanitiser for sale in various Boots' in Dublin city centre too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Video on RTE News featuring Prof Cahill of Mater Hospital discussing how the effects of a sneeze or a cough can impact on others' personal space.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0409/1129633-social-distancing-coughing-sneezing/

THey didnt mention masks but look at video for coughing/sneezing into sleeve, not all of the sneeze contained

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

Yes: homemade
    Wibbs wrote: »
    Essentially yeah O.

[IMG]https://cdn.aws.toolstation.com/images/141020-UK/800/80177.jpg Respirators like this protect you(extremely well), but the filtration is only one way, in. Though there is less breath coming out compared to no mask.[/img][IMG]https://biotextiles2016.files.wordpress.com/2016/03/face-mask.jpg Surgical masks like this protect you[/img]and others. Filtration though less effective is in both directions.

I have both types, but would only use the respirator if I had to go into somewhere where the virus was going to be present or if I had to take a taxi or public transport. All unlikely scenarios at the moment, so I wear the surgical mask.

Would you wear something over the surgical mask, or is there any need/reason not to?

Kenjataimu wrote: »
    Would you wear something over the surgical mask, or is there any need/reason not to?
    I wouldn't K. No real need at all. Something like a scarf would likely having it moving around underneath.

You reminded me K :D On more considering of the respirator not protecting others I slapped mine(the same model as in the pic) on this afternoon for around 40 minutes(cos I'm a nutter). And when you take one off you notice a lot of condensation on the inside from your breath. On my model the exhale port is removable so you can clean it out. I suspect that wearing one, even though there's no direct filtration on the exhale, that a large proportion of potentially viral laden exhalations would condense inside the mask. So still better for others than no mask.

I wouldn't K. No real need at all. Something like a scarf would likely having it moving around underneath.

I slapped mine(the same model as in the pic) on this afternoon for around 40 minutes(cos I'm a nutter). And when you take one off you notice a lot of condensation on the inside from your breath.

The first time I really became conscious of how much water is involved in breathing was when I took one similar to yours off. It's one of those things you need to do/see for it to really sink in.

I haven't closed the windows of the gaff in weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,261 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

No: other
    Interesting findings about the unusually high viral loads in the throats of covid infected people, including asymptomatic ones. Link here to the Irish Times.

Prof Luke O’Neill of Trinity College Dublin.

“It means it is very transmissible just by talking. You don’t need to cough,” he said. Also, people without symptoms, “are very infectious,” he added.

Which kinda answers the notions earlier about the small risk of just talking near someone with this is. All I can say is I'm glad I've been wearing masks for the last fortnight and glad to see others doing so when I have. I've also been wiping down my shopping, which I thought "ah hang on, you're losing it here Ted". Now I might well catch this vile dose and I'l,l be happy to take the "na na I told you so" :D , but it won't be from want of trying not to, or being concerned about passing it to someone else.

So to mask or not to mask? Seems to mask is the way to go

I bought a pack of ten surgical masks from a seller on ebay that I think was linked here.
    They came in sealed silver plastic pouch that you have to tear open.

I shop once a week. My plan is to reuse them so I'd only be reusing them 9 or 10 weeks later.

What's the best spot to keep them in once they're dry, I've been keeping my first one in my car in a paper bag but I'm thinking to put it into a zip lock bag and put it into a closet.

I bought a pack of ten surgical masks from a seller on ebay that I think was linked here.

I shop once a week. My plan is to reuse them so I'd only be reusing them 9 or 10 weeks later.

What's the best spot to keep them in once they're dry, I've been keeping my first one in my car in a paper bag but I'm thinking to put it into a zip lock bag and put it into a closet.

Paper bag sounds great, I'd veer away from sealing in zip loc bag considering your quantity and described plan of delayed use. I'd veer away from car only because I know how humid it gets in car's, trapped air etc. Do you have a balcony or shed, indivual masks in sperate bags, date stamp use with marker on bag and store in cardboard box.

I'd open doors from both sides of car, let a cross breeze clear the air before removing said bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Would you have a link please?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/223972131394

Found these on eBay, not surgical mask, but should do too. Bought few of these from different seller when it started. They cover face pretty tight, no gaps. Three layers of fabric on the ones I got, with a pocket for filter.

Would you have a link please?

Sold out since a week ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Sold out since a week ago.
    It's odd that the ordinary person in Ireland cannot get a single mask; yet on the news this morning, I'm seeing how masks can be purchased from dispensing machines all over Austria.
    The government and HSE have failed miserably here. While the priority should be front line workers, the government and HSE should have forecast this need months ago. Making excuses that we do not need them unless infected is insulting.

Imagine the amount of asymptomatic people walking around the country spreading the infection unnecessarily. Masks, while not the complete solution, could greatly aid in the reduction of the spread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement