Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Rvsmmnps wrote: »
    Can you show me the figures of where the virus kills young and old seemingly at a similar rate to the way you word it.Because it doesn't,average death rate for the past 19 days in Ireland is under 15 persons per day/

Point out where I said a similar rate. Stop making stuff up to create an argument. Read the post properly, then respond.

Uk sending tests to Germany as well? They are +8.6k today having never had a previous high over 6k

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Wibbs wrote: »
    People tend to cling to routine P. It's also hardwired into us from our days of being prey animals of avoiding panic. The individuals who panicked were picked off by the predators. Look at what happens in sudden emergencies in crowds. Most stand idly until a fewpeople start running away from the source of the emergency and then they all follow like starlings. Vanishingly few keep their wits and move towards the danger to try to help. They're rare. That's why we call them heroes and why they get medals.

So people will close off their minds almost completely to a threat they see as too removed from them. So dying people in Italy in an alien environment like an ICU just doesn't really register. Plus it being mostly older people it doesn't register with many younger people, as most tend to live apart from their older rellies. Like you said it has to hit much closer to home. And even then... I mean you'll see heavy smokers at a funeral for a lung cancer victim.

Put up posters of a lovely elderly lady, one of the actual Irish victims of this virus.

"This is Annie. She was 78. Sean her husband had passed away a few years ago, but Anne was getting on with life, cherishing her family and friends and having her walks every day with her little terrier Sandy. She died last week of Covid 19.

She died because of you, because you left your house when you didn't need to, she died because you didn't keep your distance, she died because you didn't wash your hands, she died because you didn't cover your mouth.

Remember Annie, don't kill again".

That might put the wind up some of the fcukwits.

Well said. Some folk need to experience it first hand to have any grasp of the situation. Maybe some will. They will change their tune but alas it will be too late

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

People tend to cling to routine P. It's also hardwired into us from our days of being prey animals of avoiding panic. The individuals who panicked were picked off by the predators. Look at what happens in sudden emergencies in crowds. Most stand idly until a fewpeople start running away from the source of the emergency and then they all follow like starlings. Vanishingly few keep their wits and move towards the danger to try to help. They're rare. That's why we call them heroes and why they get medals.

So people will close off their minds almost completely to a threat they see as too removed from them. So dying people in Italy in an alien environment like an ICU just doesn't really register. Plus it being mostly older people it doesn't register with many younger people, as most tend to live apart from their older rellies. Like you said it has to hit much closer to home. And even then... I mean you'll see heavy smokers at a funeral for a lung cancer victim.

Put up posters of a lovely elderly lady, one of the actual Irish victims of this virus.

"This is Annie. She was 78. Sean her husband had passed away a few years ago, but Anne was getting on with life, cherishing her family and friends and having her walks every day with her little terrier Sandy. She died last week of Covid 19.

She died because of you, because you left your house when you didn't need to, she died because you didn't keep your distance, she died because you didn't wash your hands, she died because you didn't cover your mouth.

Remember Annie, don't kill again".

That might put the wind up some of the fcukwits.

Excellent post.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Madness is believing anything that appears on Extra.ie

https://twitter.com/fergalrte/status/1248275464336093185

Attachment not found.

4 cars per ferry/

How many ferries per day?
    How many ferries in the last 2 weeks?
    How many cars did he speak to?

Madness to not ask everyone questions.

44 people in Uruguay caught Cv 19 because ONE person went to a wedding after arriving from Spain https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/19/uruguay-coronavirus-party-guest-argentina

Let's say there are 4 ferry crossings per day - that is 16 cars per day if Fergal is correct.
    112 cars a week.
    224 cars from the UK during the 2 weeks of severely restricted movement,
    224 drivers... how many passengers?

Looking a bit more serious now isn't it....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    Piss off with that nonsense. Bloody morally blackmailing people. Get a life I swear you lot are only relishing this ****e.
    I'm most certainly not. I fucking hate this sh1te. I hate it's hit my business selfishly enough, though at least being apparently "essential"* I can at least keep some work going, so I'm fortunate there. I hate I can't see friends and family. I hate I can't go out for a pint, or go fishing, or go in holidays. I did the carer thing for the guts of a decade without a break and was finally clear of that and was starting to live my life again and was enjoying it and then this sh1te comes along? I can fucking assure you Sir, I am most certainly not fucking relishing it. So with the utmost respect take your first line and apply it to yourself.

*if I'm essential, that's a sure sign the end is effing nigh. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

You're blessed with common sense. If this was posted on the 'Relaxation of Restrictions' thread it would induce a collective meltdown among the "damaged economy causes far more fatalities than the elderly & vulnerable from Covid-19" cohort.

So you're not worried about losing your job or winding up impoverished at all? I know I am. I'm only 22 working in an office. I'm starting a bachelor's part time in September. This could irreparably **** up my whole life if I get sacked or let go. Am I supposed to just not mind?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Piss off with that nonsense. Bloody morally blackmailing people. Get a life I swear you lot are only relishing this ****e.

It's called facing reality. You might want to try it for size, some time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

fin12 wrote: »

Aw, that would make anyone's heart just melt.

• Advertisement

New Home wrote: »
    It's called facing reality. You might want to try it for size, some time.

As you can see from my above post I have faced reality thanks very much. Go and lecture someone else like a good little boy.

fin12 wrote: »

Masks aren't even compulsory here. We are miles behind in Ireland. So much reaction and so little proactive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Aw, that would make anyone's heart just melt.

Just like the article said, it’s so sad and cute at the same time.

So you're not worried about losing your job or winding up impoverished at all? I know I am. I'm only 22 working in an office. I'm starting a bachelor's part time in September. This could irreparably **** up my whole life if I get sacked or let go. Am I supposed to just not mind?

Ah bless. I thought you where an adult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

Using the 8089 figure from today going forward will cause confusion if they are going to give us a daily increase from 2 days ago.

For example. The 480 increase on today relates to Wednesday. That brought the total as of midnight Wednesday to 7054.

The 8089 relates to total now, today.

If the daily increase is 400 on Thursday and then announced tomorrow you'd expect the the new total to be 8089 plus 400. But it will actually be 7054 + 400.

We will then then be given a new total as of Saturday which could be 8089 + 500.

They need one cut off point not 2 as reported today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Nobody can deny that now.
    People dont get it, keeping the virus out of Ireland was never part of the plan even if we could, if we did we would be the only country to do so and we would have to self isolate as a country for ever or until the vaccine is available.
    The best plan is to control the virus without over powering the health service, we are doing this with a mixture of good decisions and good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

That's almost laughable. Row back the anger. Things like this will pass and you need to stop the self pity. This is a major crisis for all branches of society. We all have been affected by this and some ultimately so, by losing loved ones. Your life will get back on track and it will do so without you clambering over the bodies of those weaker than you.

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Ah bless. I thought you where an adult.

Well actually I am an adult at 22. Sorry if you were a bit slow in school and you have trouble with numbers. I suppose higher education is only a dream for you. Patronising tosspot

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Though no doubt some will see your age and think Oh FFS, but I get where you're coming from and if it was just you being fcuked by this I would agree. However don't forget that this is affecting pretty much every other 22 year old out there. Every other 22 year old in an office with plans for education and advancement is going to be held back by this. You are all going to be starting from pretty much the same point when the dust settles. As will the people who employ you now and in the future when they look at your CV and note any delays or job issues from around this time. There are going to be a lot of covid delays in people's lives.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    That's almost laughable. Row back the anger. Things like this will pass and you need to stop the self pity. This is a major crisis for all branches of society. We all have been affected by this and some ultimately so, by losing loved ones. Your life will get back ln track and it will do so without you clambering over the bodies of those weaker than you.

So I'm supposed to just not mind if my life gets destroyed. I suppose since you probably have no life it's not much trouble for you.

• Advertisement

You're "only 22", then you need to develop perspective. I lost my job, among hundreds of thousands of others. It's a depressing yet manageable scenario, ably assisted by the CPUP. "Irreparably **** up my whole life", you make me cringe with that attitude. We'll be out of this crisis sooner than you think.

Though no doubt some will see your age and think Oh FFS, but I get where you're coming from and if it was just you being fcuked by this I would agree. However don't forget that this is affecting pretty much every other 22 year old out there. Every other 22 year old in an office with plans for education and advancement is going to be held back by this. You are all going to be starting from pretty much the same point when the dust settles. As will the people who employ you now and in the future when they look at your CV and note any delays or job issues from around this time. There are going to be a lot of covid delays in people's lives.

Thanks for that. I appreciate you talking to me like an adult rather than going full guy on the internet on me like some

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

So I'm supposed to just not mind if my life gets destroyed. I suppose since you probably have no life it's not much trouble for you.

do you have a wife, children and a mortgage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Well said. Some folk need to experience it first hand to have any grasp of the situation. Maybe some will. They will change their tune but alas it will be too late

I hate to say this but we are living in a country where the recession and its effects showed the same. All you ha r to do is look at the housing crisis we had for many years. So many people, quickly turning their backs saying things like... People looking for free houses is all it is....

When it was never about trying to get a free house. It was about the affordability of housing. It was out of reach for so many young adults. There's probably so many other examples. Some people don't care what happens beyond themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭boardise

Yes, let’s put multiple peoples lives at risk, so you can paint your phukin ****box.

A career in the Diplomatic service is yours for the taking Fiery. ( Apt name btw :D)

It's not really unreasonable though is it that people could put their spare time windfall to good use without threatening wipeout of a whole demographic ?

FWIW - I think Garden Centres could also be left open as this is the growing season. All this assuming physical distancing strictly enforced. Since it's mainly middle aged people and older who frequent GCs I think they would be responsibly compliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Rvsmmnps wrote: »
    Because it doesn't,average death rate for the past 19 days in Ireland is under 15 persons per day/
    Are you f*cking serious?

Sure if you go back a couple of years, the average deaths per day is practically zero...

You're "only 22", then you need to develop perspective. I lost my job, among hundreds of thousands of others. It's a depressing yet manageable scenario, ably assisted by the CPUP. "Irreparably **** up my whole life", you make me cringe with that attitude. We'll be out of this crisis sooner than you think.
    Yeah but there's still the world of havoc this'll wreak on the economy. What about that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

I'm confused. Do you mean your social life or your actual life? It will pass. Relax. Your forefathers survived the famine and 800 years of oppression. You'll be grand. Watch Netflix or something. Learn at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

205 deaths in Michigan in the US. Most so far for the state. 117 was the previous high yesterday.

Looking like the US will probably break 2,000 deaths for today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

But when they clear the test results I believe we will be reporting small amounts of new cases a day. Not grouping a few days together.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement