Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2021 - Cancelled :( **No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭The Davestator

With a few changes, it could make itself more possible.

Maybe the tents have to become open-air stages for this year and deal with the sound bleed? Maybe fewer stages to minimise sound bleed?

No caravan karaoke etc. (which i love)!

Wouldn't be the same, but it would be worth it if it helped it happen

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Kepler21

I got my first Pfizer jab this morning at CityWest. I registered last Tuesday.
    Very efficient setup in terms of getting in registering, getting the jab, and waiting for 15 minutes to see if you have a reaction. Just under an hour. Throughput was pretty good.

I'm still not at the point of getting my hopes up for EP; though, but there are some hopeful signs.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I know there is very little or if any crossover but Pukkelpop Festival have announced they will be returning near the end of August this year with line up coming soon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

With a few changes, it could make itself more possible.

Maybe the tents have to become open-air stages for this year and deal with the sound bleed? Maybe fewer stages to minimise sound bleed?

No caravan karaoke etc. (which i love)!

Wouldn't be the same, but it would be worth it if it helped it happen

Fully open the sides of the tents and they're effectively open air spaces with a rain cover. They've done it before when expecting huge crowds in the tents (Valentines in 2008 and Florence a couple of years after). Jerry Fish is already open, all of the Trailer Park and Trenchtown, the Comedy Stage & Salty Dog. With adjustments to the Mindfield, the tea huts and place you can sit down in there's not really much that would be classed as indoors.

And that may all be academic anyway if they're using a combination of vaccines and antigen tests. At this stage, presuming no rollout botch up or variant issues I'd be 70% or more confident of EP happening. And I admit that I'm surprised by that recent change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

If there is no caravan karaoke I'm selling my ticket. It's a deal breaker I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Fully open the sides of the tents and they're effectively open air spaces with a rain cover. They've done it before when expecting huge crowds in the tents (Valentines in 2008 and Florence a couple of years after). Jerry Fish is already open, all of the Trailer Park and Trenchtown, the Comedy Stage & Salty Dog. With adjustments to the Mindfield, the tea huts and place you can sit down in there's not really much that would be classed as indoors.

And that may all be academic anyway if they're using a combination of vaccines and antigen tests. At this stage, presuming no rollout botch up or variant issues I'd be 70% or more confident of EP happening. And I admit that I'm surprised by that recent change.

They done that numerous times, especially for the first Beastie Boys set on the Saturday 2007.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Ah lads this talk is killing me, brother moved his wedding to the Friday of EP, probably head up on the Thursday to get setup and look like a muppet at the wedding with my wristband.
    Bloody families.

Poorside wrote: »
    Ah lads this talk is killing me, brother moved his wedding to the Friday of EP, probably head up on the Thursday to get setup and look like a muppet at the wedding with my wristband.
    Bloody families.

As problems go.....

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Peterd66

Poorside wrote:
    Ah lads this talk is killing me, brother moved his wedding to the Friday of EP, probably head up on the Thursday to get setup and look like a muppet at the wedding with my wristband. Bloody families.

I don't know how you would go onto EP after a wedding with a hangover! Oh wait.......

As problems go.....

I know, if I get through this I should get on the front of Time.

• Advertisement

Peterd66 wrote: »
    I don't know how you would go onto EP after a wedding with a hangover! Oh wait.......

I'd be taking it handy, missed enough over the last 18 months.

Really looking forward to have a moan about the sh1te line up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Ah lads... getting a bit excited... but its so fragile!

Someone shared the "electric picnic cancelled" statement from 1 year ago, I almost cried until but then realised the date.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,084 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Ah lads... getting a bit excited... but its so fragile!

Someone shared the "electric picnic cancelled" statement from 1 year ago, I almost cried until but then realised the date.

That is a cruel thing to do, you know where you have to put them

TheWickerManSenses-750x400.jpg

For some reason was looking back at the 2012 picnic review as my housemate has just discovered God is an Astronaut, the Wicklow post-rock group and I remembered I had a clip of them in my blog review and started reading it. I think a point to note was while working the pre-fest, myself and a mate were jumping about the Body&Soul area but when we went to go back to crew camp, we couldn't find the hole in the wall entrance so we climbed this great wall and gate, only to be pulled up by security when we come out of the enclosure. I had to remark that we were probably the first guys they caught trying to break out of the festival. :)

https://niallmcquaid.wordpress.com/2012/09/06/electric-picnic-2012/

Remember this. The Denim Moose at Body&Soul.

denim-moose-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭rubick

Stillill42 wrote: »
    God bless you Tony. I'm taking that as a yes. Cut to Pixies, main stage Saturday night....'Hello DUBLIN!!!! This is a song about a superhero named Tony. It's called TONY'S THEME!!!!" Holohan enters stage left, in a cape. Place goes ballistic. Rubick starts crying.

Listen, I don't come here for accurate depiction of facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

If there is no caravan karaoke I'm selling my ticket. It's a deal breaker I'm afraid.

I have very fond memories of caravanaoke!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭endainoz

So personally I despise this rag but if true this story is significant.

https://www.thesun.ie/tvandshowbiz/music/6982448/electric-picnic-ok-only-irish-acts-end-quarantine/

I think this would be amazing. Just that it makes zero sense seen as Wild Roots are promoting loads of UK acts two weeks earlier.

endainoz wrote: »

https://www.thesun.ie/tvandshowbiz/music/6982448/electric-picnic-ok-only-irish-acts-end-quarantine/

I think this would be amazing. Just that it makes zero sense seen as Wild Roots are promoting loads of UK acts two weeks earlier.

How very splendid of him to follow our advice.

• Advertisement

NI acts will of course be included. Can we foresee a DUP objection?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Wild Roots also think that mid-August is actually autumn.

Only the top two on the poster I think (James Morrison & Kaiser Chiefs), both pretty replaceable with standby Irish acts. I'd imagine there are several happy to take the slots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

Wild Roots also think that mid-August is actually autumn.

traditionally in ireland it is

I am ready with my "needs a bit more of an international slant" comment for the line up announcement which includes U2 as an exclusive one off post-COVID headliner.

traditionally in ireland it is

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_calendar

Winter ("Geimhreadh") - November, December, January

Spring ("Earrach") - February, March, April

Summer ("Samhradh") - May, June, July

Autumn ("Fómhar" Harvest) - August, September, October

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭rubick

NI acts will of course be included. Can we foresee a DUP objection?

Only if there's no money in it for them. Expect RHI Burners for everyone's tents 2022, ticket prices to increase by 1690%. No dancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭dam099

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_calendar

Winter ("Geimhreadh") - November, December, January

Spring ("Earrach") - February, March, April

Summer ("Samhradh") - May, June, July

Autumn ("Fómhar" Harvest) - August, September, October

That's how I was taught but it never felt right. If you were to go by average temperatures they should all be moved on a month.

dam099 wrote: »
    That's how I was taught but it never felt right. If you were to go by average temperatures they should all be moved on a month.

It's how I was brought up as well. I'm pretty sure only Ireland considers it like this. I tend to agree with you re: temperatures, but November still feels like winter to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭patch

I am ready with my "needs a bit more of an international slant" comment for the line up announcement which includes U2 as an exclusive one off post-COVID headliner.
    That actually sounds very possible. Unless they are already penciled in for one of the Slane gigs next year.

Advertisement