Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭halvis

Surely the UK is high risk NOW as well:
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/uk/covid-19-new-variant-with-potentially-worrying-mutations-found-in-uk-1.4485832

Why should we keep being forced into strict lockdowns if they keep allowing new variants to come in???

It's the same as putting us all into Nuclear bunkers to protect us from the nuclear bomb that just went off in England and someone keeps opening the door everyday for a bit of fresh air.

People are going to become more and more frustrated/affected with lockdowns and therefore they will become less effective, this was also mentioned last March.

Quarantine does not work either, no point putting people in hotels it will still spread. Just keep travel to imperative stuff only, i.e. truck drivers who can be easily tested and tracked etc.

We are supposed to at war with this thing, lets ramp it up.

Is there a petition anywhere we can sign to get this done?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Covid19

A large proportion of those travelling are in their golden years, 60+ so I'm not sure your attack on most recent generations is fair- after all much like your kids, they are the ones missing out the most.[/u]

Any serving member of any Armed Force would tell you it's exactly the opposite.

By the way, adding red font to your post does not apply gravitas, just highlights one's desire to be heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭SheepsClothing

The answer to this is fairly simple. Putting the blame on inbound travellers allows the boardsies in question (I prefer the phrase headbangers as boardsies unfairly tars all posters on boards with the same brush) to blame *someone else* for the problems and requires *someone else* to take the hit in terms of mandatory quarantine.

Mandatory quarantine of positive cases and close contacts would force the same people to face up to the reality that it is the actions of residents within the country that ultimately determine the extent of spread of the virus and opens up the possibility that they *themselves* might have to go in to mandatory quarantine.

Basically it's fine for the international travellers, but they wouldn't want to be dragged off to a detention facility themselves funnily enough.

On the bolded, this is just a bull**** false equivalence. International travel is a choice. There is no comparison to be made between those who choose to travel internationally during a global pandemic and those who catch a virus doing there day to day activities at home. People are being asked to make massive sacrifices, staying home, not visiting friends and family, putting lives on hold, all to be undermined, by people who in their ultra privileged state, can't possibly fathom staying on the island for 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

On the bolded, this is just a bull**** false equivalence. International travel is a choice. There is no comparison to be made between those who choose to travel internationally during a global pandemic and those who catch a virus doing there day to day activities at home. People are being asked to make massive sacrifices, staying home, not visiting friends and family, putting lives on hold, all to be undermined, by people who in their ultra privileged state, can't possibly fathom staying on the island for 12 months.

So STOP them from leaving then! But don't lock people up who are coming home, they are following the rules and have the required negative tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

And, in case nobody has noticed, New Zealand's biggest city Auckland is currently in lockdown with positive cases of the UK variant confirmed and the government there having absolutely no idea how it was brought in or how widely it has spread within the country. So much for their virus beating travel restrictions - and that's on a remote Pacific island where there is some chance such an approach might actually be successful, it would be a recipe for complete disaster if ever brought in here.

Whatever about the "Zero Covid" people looking towards NZ or Australia as overly optimistic/unrealistic examples for Ireland, sneering & hoping that they fail at what they are doing to validate your bad arguments and the poor policies in Ireland is far worse imo.

Am betting they'll stamp this outbreak out just like they dealt with the one a few months ago + more power to their elbow.

Then we won't hear a peep about NZ or similar from the likes of you again till next time!:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Nermal

Covid19 wrote: »
    There is a lot of folks on this page who, if it were a wartime situation and your country needed you to step up and make sacrifices for the good of the many, would be the type to feign injury, hide away behind twitching curtains and contribute nothing apart for standing in line for whatever food or financial subsidies were available.

I'm sure our enemies are quaking in their boots right now, looking at you huddling indoors from a virus that kills the single oldest, sickest person in roughly every two hundred who gets it. Super-soldier material, right there.
    Covid19 wrote: »
    It's deeply saddening to see what our most recent generations have become.

Nearly all of the people our deeply misguided policies are saving will be dead within a decade. Those 'recent generations' will still be paying for those policies half a century from now. Be grateful any of them bother to listen to you at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭cbreeze

Una is a retiree from Limerick and got the bus to the airport. She said there were very few on board and the coach was not stopped by the Gardai. She's out in Maspalomas for a few months and was thrilled to get her one-way flight from Ryanair for 19.99e. She likes to breakfast in the sun and have her walk while listening to Ryan Tubridy as she walks. As her apartment only cost 700-800e per month she is quite happy to pay the 100e charge on return, as this was the fee when she flew out, so she assured Joe Duffy on Liveline last week.

Frank, also a retiree, is in Puerto Mogan. He and Mrs Frank travel out to the sun twice a year and he is enjoying the warm weather and the health benefits of not being in the cold damp Irish winter climate. He told Joe that he had 'an underlying health condition'. He saw no reason not to travel when most normal people, even those who are ill and would benefit from a spell in the sun, stayed at home.

They did not sound like 'toffs' or the opposite of 'toff'. Just people who have not got the message about what we need to do.

Flights at 19.99e are still available to travel next weekend on Ryanair. You have to wait until 16 March to fly with Aer Lingus for 69.99e.

I hope Frank and Una enjoy their holidays and their welcome home from the Gardai. Most of us can only dream of going to the bottle bank!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,935 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Well here we are, Soldiers will now be present(armed?) at Airports and will take any passengers from "Red" list countries to the detention centres where their stay will be extended if they catch Covid while in detention...

https://www.independent.ie/news/defence-force-members-to-provide-logistical-support-for-operation-of-quarantine-hotels-40098551.html

While the Army won't' provide security at the centres...I'm sure that's not far off either...

Major Hotel Brands in AUS are already saying no to housing detainee's so the Government there will house them in remote or offshore camps...

....there's a lot of empty or half used Army barracks in Ireland too.

cbreeze wrote: »

I hope Frank and Una enjoy their holidays and their welcome home from the Gardai. Most of us can only dream of going to the bottle bank!

Fair play to them. I'm pretty sure they said they're staying away. They have done nothing wrong and the witch hunt is pretty despicable IMO.

I'm away in 2 days. Cannot wait, and shan't be returning to Ireland while this is ongoing. The rest of Europe will be back to a normal life while people in Ireland are still being told they cant go on a staycation. It's ridiculous.

So, like Frank and Una, I am doing nothing wrong and there is no case of me having "not got the message about what we need to do." I am "moving residence" which is completely allowed under the statute

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Well here we are, Soldiers will now be present(armed?) at Airports and will take any passengers from "Red" list countries to the detention centres where their stay will be extended if they catch Covid while in detention...

https://www.independent.ie/news/defence-force-members-to-provide-logistical-support-for-operation-of-quarantine-hotels-40098551.html

While the Army won't' provide security at the centres...I'm sure that's not far off either...

Major Hotel Brands in AUS are already saying no to housing detainee's so the Government there will house them in remote or offshore camps...

....there's a lot of empty or half used Army barracks in Ireland too.

So what happens when an Irish citizen is returning to Ireland from a red list country? They seriously going to make them foot the bill? What if they can’t pay it?

As Fredrick Hayek said, “ 'Emergencies' have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have been eroded.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,209 ✭✭✭saabsaab

faceman wrote: »
    So what happens when an Irish citizen is returning to Ireland from a red list country? They seriously going to make them foot the bill? What if they can’t pay it?

As Fredrick Hayek said, “ 'Emergencies' have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have been eroded.”

It is a clear and present danger. Entirely justified as it stands. If someone can't pay I'm sure a barracks or similar facility could be arranged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Yup. If they cant pay - I'll guess they'll probably decide it's not sensible to travel ...

And not just In Ireland either. Same for Irish citizens arriving into the UK
    UK and Irish nationals and UK residents returning to England from a country deemed at high risk for Covid-19 must now self-isolate in hotels.

The rule applies to people returning to Scotland from any destination.

https://www.thejournal.ie/uk-hotel-quarantine-5354742-Feb2021/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Irish holidaymakers continuing journeys despite warnings of prison

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/irish-holidaymakers-continuing-journeys-despite-warnings-of-prison-1.4485675
    Gardaí have started warning Irish holidaymakers they face prison and a criminal record if they continue with their international trip.

However, some travellers are choosing to ignore this advice and continue with their holiday, sources say. Gardaí are waiting for several families to return from foreign holidays before issuing court summons.

So, to summarise:

- Airports still aren't under proper control of incoming visitors one year on
    - We still haven't got the quarantine hotels in place, despite different variants on the loose

But the Gardai will now be looking to jail Irish people who holiday abroad? :confused:

It's going to get very messy in this country this year ....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

ShineOn7 wrote: »

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/irish-holidaymakers-continuing-journeys-despite-warnings-of-prison-1.4485675

So, to summarise:

- Airports still aren't under proper control of incoming visitors one year on
    - We still haven't got the quarantine hotels in place, despite different variants on the loose

But the Gardai will now be looking to jail Irish people who holiday abroad? :confused:

It's going to get very messy in this country this year ....

“What are you in for?”

“Murder. Yourself?”

“Went to Tenerife for a week”

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

So looks like mandatory hotel quarantine is being signed off tomorrow.

Just something that popped into my head today, I would be fairly pee'd off having to pay and do mandatory hotel quarantine, walk out of quarantine and having the kind of lockdown and restrictions we have. Not to mention could be infected here in this country.

Surely we should be going for what Australia and New Zealand has? We should have some bit of life and the only lockdown we should have to go through, is a hard lockdown if a case pops up and gives us time to test, track and isolate.

I just think it's unfair having to pay out so much for mandatory quarantine with the way how we're handling things.

“What are you in for?”

“Murder. Yourself?”

“Went to Tenerife for a week”

9e7f359c4b03a20c36e4a840e1a4b778.gif

Whilst I rarely agree with your thoughts in this thread, that is hilarious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Hopefully the hotel quarantine can be abandoned by May along with the fines.

We all want a holiday abroad this summer.

Surely we should be going for what Australia and New Zealand has? We

Comparisons to these two countries have never being a runner unfortunately Fairies

And never will be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I do t see that as a realistic option unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Just something that popped into my head today, I would be fairly pee'd off having to pay and do mandatory hotel quarantine, walk out of quarantine and having the kind of lockdown and restrictions we have. Not to mention could be infected here in this country.

Surely we should be going for what Australia and New Zealand has? We should have some bit of life and the only lockdown we should have to go through, is a hard lockdown if a case pops up and gives us time to test, track and isolate.

I just think it's unfair having to pay out so much for mandatory quarantine with the way how we're handling things.

The two models referred to above require that there is no outward or inward non essential travel except by special permission for essential purposes only.

So yeah if we could do what those countries are doing - then I guess we could possibly eventually do that. However can't see the Toros del Tontos or wherever fans wanting that anytime soon

And before anyone says it, I know we are not the same as New Zealand or Australia and we have a land border etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,056 ✭✭✭✭josip

The quarantine only applies to red list countries, most of which at the moment would not be common holiday destinations.
    Nobody will be getting fined for foreign travel, whatever the reason come June.

What should be done is a similar thing to Oz & NZ i.e the EU, EEA and UK suspend all travel in and out. Focus on getting these populations vaccinated and then we can start our own travel industries up again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Would this affect driving home from Germany or is it only Brazil/South Africa? Ive to Drive back on Saturday as I'm starting a new job in a few days. I plan on skipping the UK and heading from Cherbourg to Dublin by Ferry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

deceit wrote: »
    Would this affect driving home from Germany or is it only Brazil/South Africa? Ive to Drive back on Saturday as I'm starting a new job in a few days. I plan on skipping the UK and heading from Cherbourg to Dublin by Ferry.

I have no idea. It's not even signed for yet. So my guess is you're safe coming back. But you still need a test and to self-isolate when here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Comparisons to these two countries have never being a runner unfortunately Fairies

And never will be

Ya because the state can’t tie its own shoelaces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

deceit wrote: »

If you have not been in Austria recently, you don't need to worry about the quarantine hotels. The full list of red list countries is here: https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/coronavirus/general-covid-19-travel-advisory/

You should worry more about the restrictions in France and about getting a negative PCR test within the 72 hour timeframe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Pretty scary to hear such widespread acceptance of using 'facilities' for incoming passengers with negative PCR tests.

'Facilities' 'Defence force oversight' 'Gardai ready to deal with any infractions'

What have we become. A shameful day for Ireland - I hope there are some brave Senators to stand up to this madness. This isn't just about today and this crisis but about the future and how ourlaws can be so easily changed into draconian and totalitarians stance.

We used to sit by in shock and denigrate the actions of countries like Poland, Hungary and more totalitarians states like China and Russia yet here we are readily accepting these shocking breaches of human rights, incarcerating incoming citizens, even from EU states like Austria and Portugal even when they have negative PCR tests. It is bonkers but supported by prob 70% of the population. Sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭SheepsClothing

Pretty scary to hear such widespread acceptance of using 'facilities' for incoming passengers with negative PCR tests.

'Facilities' 'Defence force oversight' 'Gardai ready to deal with any infractions'

What have we become. A shameful day for Ireland - I hope there are some brave Senators to stand up to this madness. This isn't just about today and this crisis but about the future and how ourlaws can be so easily changed into draconian and totalitarians stance.

We used to sit by in shock and denigrate the actions of countries like Poland, Hungary and more totalitarians states like China and Russia yet here we are readily accepting these shocking breaches of human rights, incarcerating incoming citizens, even from EU states like Austria and Portugal even when they have negative PCR tests. It is bonkers but supported by prob 70% of the population. Sick.

We must defend our human right to contract rogue covid variants from abroad. Liberty, Equality, Fraternity!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,935 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Pretty scary to hear such widespread acceptance of using 'facilities' for incoming passengers with negative PCR tests.'Facilities' 'Defence force oversight' 'Gardai ready to deal with any infractions'.What have we become. A shameful day for Ireland - I hope there are some brave Senators to stand up to this madness. This isn't just about today and this crisis but about the future and how ourlaws can be so easily changed into draconian and totalitarians stance.We used to sit by in shock and denigrate the actions of countries like Poland, Hungary and more totalitarians states like China and Russia yet here we are readily accepting these shocking breaches of human rights, incarcerating incoming citizens, even from EU states like Austria and Portugal even when they have negative PCR tests. It is bonkers but supported by prob 70% of the population. Sick.

A lot of people have no concept of Army on the streets and increased Police state control unless they grew up in former communist Easter Europe...
    ....what we have here are a sizeable number of people who welcome more State Police and Army controls on the population.... And a large percentage of them are suffering from "Boiling Frog" syndrome..... sadly once these controls are brought into Law it takes a LONG time for them to be reversed, so get used to living in a country with a high level of State control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

Not many senators or ministers are going to stand against this it will take a high level of civil disobedience to reverse some of these measures, what's sickening is the amount of left wing politicians cheerleading these draconian restrictions on our civil rights, its rather ironic given the same ministers acted in disgust last summer when it was suggested cutting unemployment payments for those that chose to travel, opportunists the lot of them

Advertisement