Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,209 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Seriously? I’m beginning to think you are not a real Doctor!

Such BS- All over the world planes have remained in the air over the last year and there have been very few outbreaks in cabin crew.

There are risks see article below. Anyway the greater risk is bringing new variants in.

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/09/studies-trace-covid-19-spread-international-flights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,935 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Such BS- All over the world planes have remained in the air over the last year and there have been very few outbreaks in cabin crew.

Aircraft cabins are meticulously cleaned on all of the major airlines long haul fleet, plus many of them now have fully vaccinated crews... add in the fact that airport terminals are a heck of lot cleaner than your average shopping centre, and that passengers must present negative PCR's, we can definitely say that air travel is very safe indeed...

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/singapore-airlines-is-operating-flights-with-completely-vaccinated-crews

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Aircraft cabins are meticulously cleaned on all of the major airlines long haul fleet, plus many of them now have fully vaccinated crews... add in the fact that airport terminals are a heck of lot cleaner than your average shopping centre, and that passengers must present negative PCR's, we can definitely say that air travel is very safe indeed...

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/singapore-airlines-is-operating-flights-with-completely-vaccinated-crews

Unfortunately it’s the people that travel that are the problem.

Unfortunately it’s the people that travel that are the problem.

Stating the obvious there, my point however was that Airports and aircraft are very low risk places...
    ....Supermarkets are higher risk and where most people pick up the Virus.

Stating the obvious there, my point however was that Airports and aircraft are very low risk places...
    ....Supermarkets are higher risk and where most people pick up the Virus.

Valentines cards! Everyone picking them up and looking at them and putting them back, dozens of people handling each card. If there is a spike in 2 weeks, we will know where it originated. I would feel safer on a flight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Its mind-boggling the government on the travel

A its very unpopular and full travel ban is an open goal

B the type of person that will travel in a global pandemic will no more quarantine than daffy fkin duff. Thus variant very likely to come back.

C A certain cohort of our society dont give a fk. In fact being able to defy us and the state makes it sweeter. They only understand full force any Chink they flood through, I.e dentist visit etc.

D if I lived in Dublin I would live stream de cnts coming back in.

Whoy is gov letting this ...

When an Irish government makes a stance it takes bulldozers for them to backtrack. Its a mix of ignorance, hubris and pig headness.

Prime example schools, only for obvious catastrophe if left open they were forced to close. It nearly took an ICBM tactical nuke to take out Donovan bull House speaker years ago.

EU fanatism we always have to be seen as de good boys and top of class. The bigger countries must laugh at how easy we are to manipulate. So a zealous fanatical adhering to open borders may also be the reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Absolute tosh. We know of 11 cases of the South African variant here. How did these cases get here with a negative PCR test and clean planes?

O'Leary's planes aren't even vacuum cleaned after a spin to Spain and back, to think he has an army of fair-haired maidens with rubber gloves scrubbing every seat is very naïve.

The only countries that are Covid free are those that have sealed their borders. Therefore the evidence is overwhelmingly strong that international travel is a huge problem in spreading this. The debate is over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,123 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Danno wrote: »
    Absolute tosh. We know of 11 cases of the South African variant here. How did these cases get here with a negative PCR test and clean planes?

They only brought in the negative PCR requirement 4 weeks ago.
    They haven't given it a chance to see if it works.

The SA variant got in before these new requirements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

O'Leary's planes aren't even vacuum cleaned after a spin to Spain and back, to think he has an army of fair-haired maidens with rubber gloves scrubbing every seat is very naïve.

The only countries that are Covid free are those that have sealed their borders. Therefore the evidence is overwhelmingly strong that international travel is a huge problem in spreading this. The debate is over.

Cold chain storage and ferry timetables would probably get you closer to the answers you seek.

Absolute tosh. We know of 11 cases of the South African variant here. How did these cases get here with a negative PCR test and clean planes?O'Leary's planes aren't even vacuum cleaned after a spin to Spain and back, to think he has an army of fair-haired maidens with rubber gloves scrubbing every seat is very naïve. The only countries that are Covid free are those that have sealed their borders. Therefore the evidence is overwhelmingly strong that international travel is a huge problem in spreading this. The debate is over.

There's no direct flights from S.A there Tosh, plus that Zero covid carp you're pedalling there will never work no matter what your daydream fantasy tells you.

• Advertisement

They only brought in the negative PCR requirement 4 weeks ago.They haven't given it a chance to see if it works.
    The SA variant got in before these new requirements.

That's there default go to after saying "But.. NZ..." then next one is "..the variants..."
    What are they gonna say when we have the "Dublin Variant..." The "Galway Variant".... the shock when they realise that Viruses constantly mutate from person to person...
    ...Viral mutations aren't exclusive to Brazil, Kent or S. Africa.

That's there default go to after saying "But.. NZ..." then next one is "..the variants..."
    What are they gonna say when we have the "Dublin Variant..." The "Galway Variant".... the shock when they realise that Viruses constantly mutate from person to person...

I don't give two hoots about any of that to be honest.

My gripe is having the country on lockdown in an effort to get the virus as close to 0 as possible while the toffs can jet, drive or boat in and out on their jollies fairly uninterrupted and bringing in disease with them.

It takes the vast majority of law-abiding Irish residents for utter fools.

Either lock down international travel or lift every restriction and let the virus rip.

This one foot in- one foot out shyte is beyond comprehendible at this stage. We have leaders shaking in their boots with fear of upsetting the EU's mantra of freedom of movement - yet they hold the ones they're paid handsomely to represent under virtual house arrest.

They've had almost a year to come to terms with this, despite having a geographical advantage as an dispersaly populated island. Absolute goons. People are fed up and soon I can forsee alot of people giving these restrictions the two fingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,209 ✭✭✭saabsaab

The main point is that if or when more likely, a more deadly variant arises somewhere in the world, it stays there and doesn't hop on the next plane!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

My gripe is having the country on lockdown in an effort to get the virus as close to 0 as possible while the toffs can jet, drive or boat in and out on their jollies fairly uninterrupted and bringing in disease with them.

Either lock down international travel or lift every restriction and let the virus rip.

This one foot in- one foot out shyte is beyond comprehendible at this stage. We have leaders shaking in their boots with fear of upsetting the EU's mantra of freedom of movement - yet they hold the ones they're paid handsomely to represent under virtual house arrest.

They've had almost a year to come to terms with this, despite having a geographical advantage as an dispersaly populated island. Absolute goons. People are fed up and soon I can forsee alot of people giving these restrictions the two fingers.

One minute you care and the next minute you don’t care. Which is it?

You keep harping on about travel like travellers are the principal problem. Yet....

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/garda%C3%AD-cannot-stop-irish-holiday-makers-travelling-for-dentist-appointments-1.4484599

From the article:
    Holiday-makers continue to make up a tiny proportion of those breaching Covid-19 regulations. “The vast majority of breaches are occurring domestically,” a [garda] source said.

Also who are these “toffs” that are travelling?

A toff is a rich or upper-class person. Is that the right slur you’re after?

faceman wrote: »
    One minute you care and the next minute you don’t care. Which is it?

You keep harping on about travel like travellers are the principal problem. Yet....

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/garda%C3%AD-cannot-stop-irish-holiday-makers-travelling-for-dentist-appointments-1.4484599

From the article:

Also who are these “toffs” that are travelling?

A toff is a rich or upper-class person. Is that the right slur you’re after?

I never said they were the principal problem, but they are a problem. Even one is a problem. It took one traveller to bring the virus here last February twelve months.

Domestic regulation breakers are and have been dealt with and should continue to be dealt with until numbers are well down to single figures.

As for toffs - have you seen where Clinica Dental Tenerife Sur is located? Hint: It's not on the beach-front strip, rather it's within a golf complex. My point stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

I never said they were the principal problem, but they are a problem. Even one is a problem. It took one traveller to bring the virus here last February twelve months.

Domestic regulation breakers are and have been dealt with and should continue to be dealt with until numbers are well down to single figures.

As for toffs - have you seen where Clinica Dental Tenerife Sur is located? Hint: It's not on the beach-front strip, rather it's within a golf complex. My point stands.

So you’re classing golfers as Toffs? That’s fairly pathetic to be honest and only serves to reduce the message of your valid points.

Re: travel - whilst we are under Level 5, I’m ok with a heavy restriction on International travel but there are 2 key items that are constantly overlooked here:

1. We treat citizens and arriving passengers with a <72 hour negative test as if they were positive and have enacted laws to control them all the while, there is no legal requirement for a confirmed positive case to self isolate. Makes no sense.

2. Once we move out of level 5, we should move back to the EU traffic light travel system at an absolute minimum. Travel can be enabled safely with appropriate testing procedures which were introduced not so long ago.

My gripe is having the country on lockdown in an effort to get the virus as close to 0 as possible while the toffs can jet, drive or boat in and out on their jollies fairly uninterrupted and bringing in disease with them.It takes the vast majority of law-abiding Irish residents for utter fools.Either lock down international travel or lift every restriction and let the virus rip.This one foot in- one foot out shyte is beyond comprehendible at this stage. We have leaders shaking in their boots with fear of upsetting the EU's mantra of freedom of movement - yet they hold the ones they're paid handsomely to represent under virtual house arrest.They've had almost a year to come to terms with this, despite having a geographical advantage as an dispersaly populated island. Absolute goons. People are fed up and soon I can forsee alot of people giving these restrictions the two fingers.

Well, lets redirect the anger from the less than 1% of people who travel, and out of that the .05% who holiday... And let's not forget that as much as you may hate the idea of Civil liberties and human rights, sadly they exist in democratic nations...

As much as those of you who think "Holiday bad" those people are coming back with clear PCR's and you want them sent to detention centers for 2 weeks imprisonment, whereas someone who contracts Covid within the country (the virus is endemic here) can quarantine at home and no Gardai will call to the door and check on you and you won't have to pay €2,000 to stay at a hotel...

Sadly no matter how much people demand all travelers get sent away it won't be the silver bullet they believe it to be and won't bring us down to zero covid..

Golfman64 wrote: »
    1. We treat citizens and arriving passengers with a <72 hour negative test as if they were positive and have enacted laws to control them all the while, there is no legal requirement for a confirmed positive case to self isolate. Makes no sense.
    2. Once we move out of level 5, we should move back to the EU traffic light travel system at an absolute minimum. Travel can be enabled safely with appropriate testing procedures which were introduced not so long ago.

True, what you have then is groups of healthy and potentially infected people who arrived without PCR being sent to a hotel together... and as we've seen from Australia and NZ, people can get infected through aircon systems, one AUS person quarantined had a nebulizer for his breathing and it's thought that spread the virus around the hotel.
    The issues happen when passengers arrive, they walk through the airport and get on ordinary coach buses together... Mixing occurs and risk raises.

The Irish Government never managed to implement the traffic light system at all, maybe for a week in 2020 but that was that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Talking to a friend at the weekend that married a Brazilian woman in December. Her visa was extended until the end of January then they put the end of December on the passport incorrectly. She had to go back to Brazil as they plan to visit the US in the future and have to have a clean visa record for that. Then the marriage cert wasn’t issued for a month now she’s stuck there and can’t get her residency visa as they cancelled all visas.

All these great plans people have for controlling the virus overlooks that the government and civil service are completely incompetent. My friend is looking at taking legal action against the state now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Agreed. As we saw last summer, we could get covid cases down to close to zero with an incredibly tough lockdown, but it only takes a few hundred or even a few dozen people to bring it in from a hotspot and within weeks the numbers shoot up again. Lockdowns are a waste of time and money without border controls.

I can see us in lockdown for most of 2021. We're months behind the UKs vaccine rollout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Golfman64 wrote: »
    So you’re classing golfers as Toffs? That’s fairly pathetic to be honest and only serves to reduce the message of your valid points.

Re: travel - whilst we are under Level 5, I’m ok with a heavy restriction on International travel but there are 2 key items that are constantly overlooked here:

I would class someone who goes golfing abroad in the middle of a pandemic a toff. Golfing abroad is not exactly a working class hobby. Vested interest maybe with that name?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I would class someone who goes golfing abroad in the middle of a pandemic a toff. Golfing abroad is not exactly a working class hobby. Vested interest maybe with that name?

Toffs? Jaysus you should see some of the Irish pub golf society members here in Spain. :D

I also think Danno is a legend for using the word Toff. We should repurpose it as a word to describe all covid rule breakers!

faceman wrote: »
    I also think Danno is a legend for using the word Toff. We should repurpose it as a word to describe all covid rule breakers!

Part of his daily word challenge: "Post some stuff on boards.ie and try fit in the word "Toff"..."

Well, lets redirect the anger from the less than 1% of people who travel, and out of that the .05% who holiday... And let's not forget that as much as you may hate the idea of Civil liberties and human rights, sadly they exist in democratic nations...

Where are the civil liberties and human rights for the vast majority of Irish people, being detained to within 5km of your home is a fairly serious breach of those rights you bleat about. Why is it okay for the 1% of people to travel, ot the 0.05% to holiday - why are these people exempt?
    As much as those of you who think "Holiday bad" those people are coming back with clear PCR's and you want them sent to detention centers for 2 weeks imprisonment, whereas someone who contracts Covid within the country (the virus is endemic here) can quarantine at home and no Gardai will call to the door and check on you and you won't have to pay €2,000 to stay at a hotel...

Detention centres? You're being too kind, we want them in the gulags and whipped from sunrise to sunset. :rolleyes:
    A clear PCR is a snapshot in time, the virus can emerge days after which is why the Australian and NZ Govt insist on two clear PCR tests and a 14-day quarantine period. After that, freedom awaits and you can go join the natives and go on the pi$$ or shoot a round of golf, or even go totally loopers and have your teeth cleaned while overlooking a golf course.
    As for residents who don't/won't self quarantine for two weeks there should be hefty penalties. I don't disagree with you there. But given how we went to very low numbers last June-July there doesn't seem to be massive non-compliance, so the few headbangers should be easily detected and punished accordingly.
    Sadly no matter how much people demand all travelers get sent away it won't be the silver bullet they believe it to be and won't bring us down to zero covid..

The purpose of heavily restricted international travel is NOT to get to zero covid, the purpose is to STOP new variants arriving here. When the bath is flooding, turn off the taps. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Covid preys on the poor and vulnerable. That is a given. The next time you order your take away or go to LIDL, get your Amazon delivery from someone in an 01 Micra, get a cheap labourer who takes payment in cash ask where they live and find out about them. More than likely its going to be with upwards of 5-6 others in a 2/3 bedroom somewhere not very nice in a block with other like minded individuals all doing the same thing. Try self isolating, washing your hands, masking up etc in that sort of environment whilst you work multiple jobs on your student visa. Thats why the figures haven't come down as everyone had hoped with the latest lockdown and the new variants. You can give out to someone going to Tenerife as much as you like but if you really want someone to blame then look closer to home and the way in which you lead your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

There is strong public and political support for compulsory quarantining of travelers in designated facilities/hotels who have tested negative for COVID pre-arrival in Ireland.

One would think the risk of infection among this cohort is extremely low.

Yet there is no legislation for enforced quarantine of positive cases or their close contacts.

Surely there is something missing here?

Would it not be hugely more significant to place enforced quarantine on confirmed positive cases and their close contacts in designated facilities? These people have tested positive for the virus or have been very close to a close contact but yet are free to do what they want with no legislation against them?

It just seems bizarre from where I am viewing things.

So are boardies in support of enforced quarantine in designated facilities for quarantine positive cases and their close contacts? If so, why not? Are you in support of enforced quarantine of inbound travelers in designated facilities who have confirmed negative covid tests pre-arrival?

The answer to this is fairly simple. Putting the blame on inbound travellers allows the boardsies in question (I prefer the phrase headbangers as boardsies unfairly tars all posters on boards with the same brush) to blame *someone else* for the problems and requires *someone else* to take the hit in terms of mandatory quarantine.

Mandatory quarantine of positive cases and close contacts would force the same people to face up to the reality that it is the actions of residents within the country that ultimately determine the extent of spread of the virus and opens up the possibility that they *themselves* might have to go in to mandatory quarantine.

Basically it's fine for the international travellers, but they wouldn't want to be dragged off to a detention facility themselves funnily enough.

Sorry, but this is utterly pathetic. You start by proving how easily manipulated you are by a few scare story newspaper headlines about people going on holiday ("toffs" - seriously are you actually a newspaper subeditor or do you just regurgitate every word you read?!) when virtually none of the international travellers in question are actually doing that.

You then follow that up by suggesting two "alternatives" one of which (locking down international travel) is impossible and the other (letting the virus rip) is incredibly irresponsible to even suggest.

You then say that if neither of your two ridiculous options are brought in by the government you're suggesting people should/will just ignore the restrictions. Sorry, but the problem here isn't other people as you like to tell yourself and everyone else, the problem is the likes of you.

The purpose of heavily restricted international travel is NOT to get to zero covid, the purpose is to STOP new variants arriving here. When the bath is flooding, turn off the taps. :rolleyes:

Finally, here is a perfect example from Scotland of why mandatory quarantine in the manner being promoted on this thread simply cannot work in our heavily connected corner of the world. By introducing tougher restrictions for travellers into Scotland the Scottish government have succeeded only in redirecting these inbound travellers via other parts of the UK and Ireland to get to their homes and avoid the detention centres. Now, instead of coming off a flight and going straight to their homes they are travelling around the UK via a circuitous route with the policy ending up doing more to spread any variant being brought in than contain it.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/hotel-quarantine-scotland-travel-covid-b1802711.html

And, in case nobody has noticed, New Zealand's biggest city Auckland is currently in lockdown with positive cases of the UK variant confirmed and the government there having absolutely no idea how it was brought in or how widely it has spread within the country. So much for their virus beating travel restrictions - and that's on a remote Pacific island where there is some chance such an approach might actually be successful, it would be a recipe for complete disaster if ever brought in here.

You then say that if neither of your two ridiculous options are brought in by the government you're suggesting people should/will just ignore the restrictions. Sorry, but the problem here isn't other people as you like to tell yourself and everyone else, the problem is the likes of you.

And, in case nobody has noticed, New Zealand's biggest city Auckland is currently in lockdown with positive cases of the UK variant confirmed and the government there having absolutely no idea how it was brought in or how widely it has spread within the country. So much for their virus beating travel restrictions - and that's on a remote Pacific island where there is some chance such an approach might actually be successful, it would be a recipe for complete disaster if ever brought in here.

Cosmo, "Mike Drop" moment, there's really no coming back for them on that Logic, people just look for someone else to blame, can never be them for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Covid19

Reading through the comments on this thread with family members is a real education for my Teenage daughter, who does not sleep at night as she is trying to do her leaving cert, my second eldest who will not leave her room and is dreading going back to school and our youngest, 12 year old boy who misses both his friends and his granny. Yet all of them understand the reasons why sacrifices need to be made.
    Then we read the mindless, self-serving, echo-chamber nonsense written here.
    Screw your desire to travel or go on holidays. The amount of idiots I see on Facebook and Twitter who have posted pics of their holiday travels is extraordinary.
    There is a lot of folks on this page who, if it were a wartime situation and your country needed you to step up and make sacrifices for the good of the many, would be the type to feign injury, hide away behind twitching curtains and contribute nothing apart for standing in line for whatever food or financial subsidies were available.

It's deeply saddening to see what our most recent generations have become.

Covid19 wrote: »
    Reading through the comments on this thread with family members is a real education for my Teenage daughter, who does not sleep at night as she is trying to do her leaving cert, my second eldest who will not leave her room and is dreading going back to school and our youngest, 12 year old boy who misses both his friends and his granny. Yet all of them understand the reasons why sacrifices need to be made.
    Screw your desire to travel or go on holidays. The amount of idiots I see on Facebook and Twitter who have posted pics of their holiday travels is extraordinary.
    There is a lot of folks on this page who, if it were a wartime situation and your country needed you to step up and make sacrifices for the good of the many, would be the type to feign injury, hide away behind twitching curtains and contribute nothing apart for standing in line for whatever food or financial subsidies were available.

Username checks out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Covid19 wrote: »

People with a rebellious streak are usually the ones willing to fight and not curtain twitch. The ironic thing is by looking at facebook and raging at others it is you that is guilty of curtain twitching in this instance.

A large proportion of those travelling are in their golden years, 60+ so I'm not sure your attack on most recent generations is fair- after all much like your kids, they are the ones missing out the most.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

Advertisement