Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    This is meant to be a short, sharp lockdown

I think that was 2 weeks ago when it was asked for first. Numbers have risen so much that the recommended lockdown length is now 6 weeks instead of 2 weeks.

Micheal Martin: "Best I can do is 4 weeks." :pac:

(edited) My mistake. Originally they asked for 4 weeks, now it's 6 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭AnniePowwa

Strumms wrote: »
    Bill Gates is a businessman. He precisely the LAST fûcker to be listening to re: covid. Doctors, epidemiologists... certainly, Bill Gates ? NO... he isn’t an economic guru, he is a businessman , interested in making large sums of money quickly for HIS businesses. Covid isn’t compatible with his “ here, we just need to get on with it” schtick....

Guy faces down no danger from covid... he can literally hole up in one of his mansions for the duration, multiple cars, tennis courts, bowling alley, swimming pool, sauna, jacuzzi. All high tech lines of communication to stay contacted and contactable and oversee the running of things... he WONT be facing any risk, his employees will be, for sure, he wants them to be, for sure.... he wants all the rest of us to be... because it adds more money to his pockets, feeds his empire... he can go fûck himself, guy is a billionaire but wants more....

bill gates does not have to make a single penny for a million years , money has no bearing on anything he does or say now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Boggles wrote: »
    Like I said previously, how can schools remain fully open when contact tracing has collapsed.

More and more principals are taking upon themselves just to shut them down.

What other reasonable choice have they?

I'm in favour of schools remaining open but its daft to close some shops but leave schools open when the risk is much higher for the latter. How on earth is a quiet shoe or clothes shop where everyone is wearing a mask in Leitrim or Mayo or Kerry more of a risk than a 1000 pupil school in the middle of a city?

Schools and sports events are much bigger risks than leaving shops open.

At this stage its like we want to cut our foot off everytime we have an ingrown toenail. Of course cutting off your foot will solve the problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,626 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Bill Gates is a businessman. He precisely the LAST fûcker to be listening to re: covid. Doctors, epidemiologists... certainly, Bill Gates ? NO... he isn’t an economic guru, he is a businessman , interested in making large sums of money quickly for HIS businesses. Covid isn’t compatible with his “ here, we just need to get on with it” schtick....

Guy faces down no danger from covid... he can literally hole up in one of his mansions for the duration, multiple cars, tennis courts, bowling alley, swimming pool, sauna, jacuzzi. All high tech lines of communication to stay contacted and contactable and oversee the running of things... he WONT be facing any risk, his employees will be, for sure, he wants them to be, for sure.... he wants all the rest of us to be... because it adds more money to his pockets, feeds his empire... he can go fûck himself, guy is a billionaire but wants more....

The goal of the foundation which funds this stuff, and has spent billions on medical research and outeach, is not to make money for the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I'm guessing you know little of Bill Gates besides some sort of caricature of what a billionaire should be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    I'll believe that when I see it

NPHET won't want us to get numbers down, then open up only for numbers to increase again

This is meant to be a short, sharp lockdown

I don't think it will be either short or sharp

I can see us getting figures down for Christmas to allow for an opening up and then we'll see another lockdown come January. The opening up at Christmas will definitely drive cases back up but I see our government preferring that over missing out on the economy's biggest intake month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Have they explained why they're allowing schools with multiple cases to stay open while they plan to shut businesses that have had zero cases?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 ronin88

eagle eye wrote: »
    How many GAA players have to go to work on a Monday morning?
    How is it safe for the public to have them play a match and return to work less than 24 hours later?

My issue would be that it’s not safe. It’s not a controlled environment. Players man marking each other, breathing heavy, sweating for 70 minutes and then going into work the following day. While gyms must close even though it’s incredibly controlled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

GazzaL wrote: »
    Have they explained why they're allowing schools with multiple cases to stay open while they plan to shut businesses that have had zero cases?

The HSE isn't communicating with the schools. They're in the dark apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

The HSE has a lot of unpublished data. You'd be shocked by the number of health care workers getting reinfected with COVID-19. I'm sure it will be released to general public in it's own time.

The vaccine isn’t far off from what I’m reading.

Hopefully they will take it to protect the vulnerable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

The vaccine isn’t far off from what I’m reading.

Hopefully they will take it to protect the vulnerable.

Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

GooglePlus wrote: »
    I can see us getting figures down for Christmas to allow for an opening up and then we'll see another lockdown come January. The opening up at Christmas will definitely drive cases back up but I see our government preferring that over missing out on the economy's biggest intake month.

That's a possibility alright

Let's say they want to be open for 30th of November which is a Monday

That's the six weeks that NPHET want

It will be a minimum of six weeks though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

The HSE has a lot of unpublished data. You'd be shocked by the number of health care workers getting reinfected with COVID-19. I'm sure it will be released to general public in it's own time.

It's fairly shocking alright the numbers getting infected. Haven't heard anything about reinfection though.

https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/surveillance/covid-19casesinhealthcareworkers/HCW_report_12%2010%202020_0.1_web.pdf

529803.png

• Registered Users Posts: 45,626 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

they need to be doing something now about it though. What, I am not sure, but what they should not want is a rush on Pennys or Smyths or Arnots or Argos come late November/early December.

The need to allow these places to be open for click and collect, encourage people to order, queue and collect responsibly.

I just don't see the need to shut down any retail where it is reasonable for them to run click and collect, or similar. I can understand them not wanting loads of people cramming in to smyths touching every toy in the place... but they have to allow a decent level of retail to continue or it is a recipe for disaster in December.

What they really need to do is lockdown elements that are actually being shown to be drivers of infection - and where the data shows that any given activity is safe... allow it and monitor it. Locking down elements of society with no actual reason to do so is painful to every effected by it - the owners, staff and public.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,299 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Antares35 wrote: »
    If they announce that non essential retail is closing and give a two day window, the panic loony Christmas shoppers will cause a spike in two weeks. Look at what happened in Smyths a couple of weeks ago because there was a mention of level five.

I don’t have kids, but if I’m a smart parent a couple of weeks ago I’m saying to my kids... “ guys, Santa will be VERY busy this year so let’s tell him early what we want and help him out “... get ordered, get it stashed away, no worries.

The fûck would I be or will I be flying around shops in November / December....if they are open that’s asking for trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Source?

The vaccine thread. Early next year hopefully. About a year then for most to have been vaccinated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

That fella who went on to infect 56 others by not restricting his movements. Presuming he lives with others, he's not exactly isolating and will eventually infect his close family members. This is why we need dedicated isolation facilities and not bring home infection. Our government is failing us.

Failing us in so many ways. Spending more than two hours in the same room as an infected person and you're classified as a close contact (that's on the HSE website)... But not in school? You'll have kids bringing it home and infecting other family members, parents go off into work... How do they not see this and the sh!t show they created?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Yeah think way Dr Holohan described it was they know people will slip over Christmas but that whether there's 50, 500 or 5,000 cases nationally before Christmas makes a massive difference especially with exponential growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭spookwoman

It's fairly shocking alright the numbers getting infected. Haven't heard anything about reinfection though.

Lot of unknowns in that report. Unknown roll, unknown location

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I think that was 2 weeks ago when it was asked for first. Numbers have risen so much that the recommended lockdown length is now 6 weeks instead of 2 weeks.

Micheal Martin: "Best I can do is 4 weeks." :pac:

It was never a suggestion of Nphet to do it for only two weeks. The number was 4 weeks as referred to by Leo on the CB show. When asked what was the plan after 4 weeks Nphet's response was silence according to Leo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭ShayNanigan

They've found a new variant of the virus in Trondheim, Norway. Seems to be more contagious meaning it doesn't require as close contact as the previously found variant. Most patients with the new mutation are in their 20s but there are older people as well, mostly with mild symptoms (at the time of diagnosis anyway).

Original article in Dagbladet

Article translated into English

Would be interesting to know how widely this new variant is circulating at the moment. Or how many variants in general there are currently circulating and how they differ.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,190 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Source?

Sauce?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

That fella who went on to infect 56 others by not restricting his movements. Presuming he lives with others, he's not exactly isolating and will eventually infect his close family members. This is why we need dedicated isolation facilities and not bring home infection. Our government is failing us.

Failing us in so many ways. Spending more than two hours in the same room as an infected person and you're classified as a close contact (that's on the HSE website)... But not in school? You'll have kids bringing it home and infecting other family members, parents go off into work... How do they not see this and the sh!t show they created?

I think the Ozzie style system is a proper deterrent. Into a hotel/ controlled zone for two weeks and you pay the bill yourself.

Obviously, there was a huge failing in the contracted security in Melbourne but its the proper way to do it.

People cannot be trusted to restrict their movements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭brick tamland

So less than 10 proven cases of reinfection worldwide out of 40 million tested cases (and far more untested), but the HSE has covered up loads of reinfections that are not happening anywhere else in the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,342 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The 56 he infected are also to blame, clearly not socially distancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Not Good trend Nationally. Donegal has seen a drop in 14 Day Incidence however. A few observations on Galway also

529805.JPG

529804.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

Exactly. Its like asking Michael O'Learys opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

I think the timing they ask for today will be crucial to getting any sort of buy in from the public - if it's 6 weeks then let it be 6 weeks and none of this bollix at the end of November of the "next 2 weeks are crucial", then the same again 2 weeks later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

This should be considered attempted murder or at the very least societal endangerment. The virus has been with us since March, there is no excuse for such behaviour.

The shark has been jumped. :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement