Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Stick your nose somewhere else Benny. Maybe up micheals arse or tony Holohan would have room for your hooter

You've got to laugh at this. Playing Billy Big Bollix with I've had my fun and that's all that matters type posts and then getting upset when pulled up on it. It's as if you're hurt that someone replied to your posts. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

I'd say that'll ramp up further. Once proven effective and approved you would imagine they look at increasing capacity further

Which vaccine is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,251 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Renjit wrote: »
    Which vaccine is it?

Pfizer, currently planning on utilising their own capacity as far as I'm aware.

Potential to outsource additional capacity if they needed it I would imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Boggles wrote: »
    Previous 7 days data confirmed infections

1. 4496 48% increase
    2. 7436 65% increase

I imagine we will be looking back in 2-3 weeks time and saying remember when we "only" had 1000 cases a day.
    You can cherry pick all the data you like to make things look as bad as you want.

Why didn't you pick the 15th for your previous 7 days?:

1. 3645 (32% increase)
    2. 6700 (84% increase)

Here's what that particular metric looks like:

529807.png

This is the kind of runaway growth you would expect an infection to follow.

The first peak & drop we see see at the start of October is when Dublin cases appeared to level out and hold steady. But as we know that didn't hold for long.

A second peak has been passed. Will that keep going down? It could.

Not all big numbers are scary. Or negative.

In context, that 65% you're so afraid of Boggles, is lower than the 3 days before it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    They'll probably go for around end of November on a Monday.

Maybe Martin should say what the government are doing to prepare for the next spike. Of course he wont as he just hopes it goes away like all government mess.

Probably the same empty rhetoric as the one in March - "we need to flatten the curve, we need to protect the health service while we increase capacity". Fast forward to October, "uh oh sorry lads but the capacity is nearly full just look at the numbers in ICU and hospitalisations".

This is most certainly the last chance saloon for them and their lockdown measures - it's November so won't hurt much being stuck at home or limited to where we can go. There will be absolutely no public support for a 3rd time around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Pfizer plan on 100m doses by end of year and 100m extra every month after that. The EU have pre-purchase agreements in place that activate as soon as approval is made. Distribution starts within 24 hours.
    I recommend watching this YouTube video which discusses how firms like DHL, UPS and FedEx have supply chains already in place (including cold storage) and ready to go.

So about an 8th of the world vaccinated by 2022?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

The HSE has a lot of unpublished data. You'd be shocked by the number of health care workers getting reinfected with COVID-19. I'm sure it will be released to general public in it's own time.

I am sorry, Dazzler that cannot go unchallenged. As it is scaremongery at its best with no data to back it up.

Are you saying that these people in Ireland infection, have had the rna of each infection analysised and loaded on to phylogentic tree of covid. And this information has been scientifically been announced.

If not that is one the biggest cover ups in Irish state history and I and many others will instantly lose respect for our scientific community/HSEZ/NEPHET/gov.

You say many re infections in Ireland and a handful in the world.... Dont you think the rest of the world would want to know too. And its potentisl implicatiobs for treatments and even potentially choiced regarding vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭ShayNanigan

They've found a new variant of the virus in Trondheim, Norway. Seems to be more contagious meaning it doesn't require as close contact as the previously found variant. Most patients with the new mutation are in their 20s but there are older people as well, mostly with mild symptoms (at the time of diagnosis anyway).

Original article in Dagbladet

Article translated into English

Would be interesting to know how widely this new variant is circulating at the moment. Or how many variants in general there are currently circulating and how they differ.

Quoting myself but another article on the new variant. They also say symptoms start faster than with the old variant.

https://www.thelocal.no/20201019/new-variant-of-coronavirus-detected-in-norway-report

I would like to bet some of the cases seen now might be of this new variant although the "old" one is still there.

No idea if this is related to this article posted in August about a coronavirus variant in Singapore:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-singapore-research/singapore-scientists-find-coronavirus-variant-with-milder-infections-idUSKBN25H0O1?il=0

Pfizer, currently planning on utilising their own capacity as far as I'm aware.

Potential to outsource additional capacity if they needed it I would imagine

The results will be available in November.

MD1990 wrote: »
    So if your positive.
    It may well cause an outbreak at a school possibly.

Surely the directive should be to keep very close contacts of someone awaiting a test result at home

I seriously doubt this is the protocol in countries with low infection rates.

It was a no detect, and no one in the house with symptoms, so hence the rush out to school. Everyone was waiting for the result and assuming no one would be leaving the house until with got the negative, then we had 15 minutes to get uniforms on, lunches made and kids in the car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

nice few bob for the state if Pfizer are a success

• Registered Users Posts: 40,006 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

seamus wrote: »
    You can cherry pick all the data you like to make things look as bad as you want.

I compared the the past 7 days with the previous 7 days.

Do you know what cherry picking actually means, I'll give you a hint, it's what you are doing.

seamus wrote: »

In context, that 65% you're so afraid of Boggles, is lower than the 3 days before it.

It's 5, 7 and 14 day trends.

No one uses 3 days.

By the end of the week Seamus you'll be breaking it down by the hour to make yourself feel better.

Good luck with that.

Does anyone know why second wave was more disastrous for Spanish flu? Any studies done on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,299 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The only worry I'd have is what plans have the dept of health/HSE made for distribution.

They should have a clear plan of action. Hopefully work is well underway

It would be wise to start with a priority list...the following and immediate family...

Doctors / healthcare workers

Gardai

Defense Forces

Food Production

Those involved in production of electricity and essential services... water / food.

More besides....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Time to call in the Army, when the C19 vaccines arrive.

They helped set up this drive thru flu vac centre in Midleton. Could be replicated around the country.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Eastcorkclinsoc/status/1314187295331889153

Edit: Looks like theyve run out of doses!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Does anyone know why second wave was more disastrous for Spanish flu? Any studies done on that?

https://www.history.com/.amp/news/spanish-flu-second-wave-resurgence

how will Ireland's economy survive the double whammy of the Covid19 pandemic, and the soon-to-come No Deal Brexit? In the last week or so I am more and more tempted to sell up and move the family out of here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

ronin88 wrote: »
    My issue would be that it’s not safe. It’s not a controlled environment. Players man marking each other, breathing heavy, sweating for 70 minutes and then going into work the following day. While gyms must close even though it’s incredibly controlled.

Exactly. Especially in the changing rooms when they’re going after the match panting, heavy breathing, sweating, steam coming off them, etc . Sounds like an awful environment for spread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/56-covid-19-cases-linked-to-man-who-failed-to-isolate-after-trip-abroad-1021154.html

I think this was mentioned earlier.

Why is our government so slow to implement fines for people like this? Fines up to 10,000 euro would get many people to comply with the guidelines. I know it might seem hefty and if someone doesn't have that money, the money can be taken at source from income.

The government is quick enough to shut down businesses to control the spread of the virus but they allow a free pass for people like this and it it people who flaunt the guidelines and isolation breakers who are contributing to the rising cases where businesses are shut. None of this makes sense.

Surely the government doesn't have a leg to stand on if they are implementing more restrictions on businesses while they allow isolation breakers a free pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

Exactly. Especially in the changing rooms when they’re going after the match panting, heavy breathing, sweating, steam coming off them, etc . Sounds like an awful environment for spread.

Changing room facilities are not available to players, you arrive togged out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

It was a no detect, and no one in the house with symptoms, so hence the rush out to school. Everyone was waiting for the result and assuming no one would be leaving the house until with got the negative, then we had 15 minutes to get uniforms on, lunches made and kids in the car
    sorry i read the previous post all wrong

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

how will Ireland's economy survive the double whammy of the Covid19 pandemic, and the soon-to-come No Deal Brexit? In the last week or so I am more and more tempted to sell up and move the family out of here.

Where will you go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

This hit me over the weekend. We are going to be fairly fcuked for many years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,042 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Its another reason why I think this impending lockdown is madness, the UK are playing a poker game with the EU at present and the economic impact of a no deal brexit will destroy whats left of our economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭ShayNanigan

From what I've read the virus probably mutated to a more deadly strain. Interestingly the first wave that wasn't as deadly appeared around March 1918, the number of cases dropped off over the summer and then the virus came back with a vengeance late August.

I think it's actually a bit strange it mutated into a more deadlier variant since viruses tend to mutate into more contagious but less deadly. Let's hope the findings in Norway mean that is happening to Covid as well - turning into less severe. No-one wants more deaths or severe infections.

Here's something:
    https://www.history.com/news/spanish-flu-second-wave-resurgence

Edit: Oops, I see someone else posted the same link while I was writing my reply... oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Theres two questions here

1. Do we believe elite sport should get an exception.

2. Does GAA count as an elite sport.

My answer for this is only if they can bubble themselves. Gaa have too many contacts as they train with their team the go into work and play matches with other teams.

No ciaran.if there are restrictions they should be across the board.all sports should in my opinion be cancelled and that includes all group training aswell.
    If they allow the premiership go ahead that’s their own business.im talking about Ireland only.
    An individual can train on their own to maintain fitness for the time being.
    As for gaa being an elite sport.its a difficult answer.
    While there is no doubt that the players are definitely as fit and as professional as rugby and soccer players they are still classed as an amateur sport which is a farce as they are expected to work a job then aswell as train and play matches.
    A multi million euro industry and the players,without whom there would be no sport get next to nothing out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

It’s one of the worst hit domestic economies in Europe, and one of the highest number of job losses without Brexit.

FDI has never been as critical to the state

The results will be available in November.

Yup phase 3 due middle of November

Strumms wrote: »
    It would be wise to start with a priority list...the following and immediate family...

Doctors / healthcare workers

Gardai

Defense Forces

Food Production

Those involved in production of electricity and essential services... water / food.

More besides....

Yup frontline workers & vulnerable to the front of the queue

• Advertisement

It’s one of the worst hit domestic economies in Europe, and one of the highest number of job losses without Brexit.

FDI has never been as critical to the state

Maybe in that case, a lot could depend on how the US election goes?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement