Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020/21 NBA season + Olympics

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,275 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

So it never happened ??? Lol

CP3 annoys the hell out of me at times but it’s hard to believe whatever narrative is being pushed about him personally or what some player says, it’s all just noise, no one really knows. Cousins hasn’t exactly got glowing reports himself through the years
    It happened, but whatever happened or didn’t happen in 2011 is hardly relevant in 2021.

And you’re right, it is noise. What isn’t noise is that in the era of super team formation Chris Paul has never been part of a top 3 contender at any point. Maybe he’s just been unlucky in that regard, but I would have expected him to have hitched on as part of a big 3 by now.

But look, it’s not going to matter is it? He got a lovely run of banged up opponents which is going to continue in the finals. He’s been an exceptional player for a long time so I don’t think anyone will begrudge him the ring. People will forget the details behind it in years to come.

pjohnson wrote: »
    With Rajon Rondo eliminated this is the first time in 37 years Shaq, or a teammate of his, wont be in the NBA finals.

Wow, what a stat! Hadn’t heard that before

• Registered Users Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Wow, what a stat! Hadn’t heard that before

It's cool, but Shaq had probably thousands of teammates in his very long career. Kind of like the US baseball player (banned for life) Pete Rose claiming he played in more winning ballgames than anyone else. He played in lots of games, mostly for good teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,974 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

It happened, but whatever happened or didn’t happen in 2011 is hardly relevant in 2021.

And you’re right, it is noise. What isn’t noise is that in the era of super team formation Chris Paul has never been part of a top 3 contender at any point. Maybe he’s just been unlucky in that regard, but I would have expected him to have hitched on as part of a big 3 by now.

But look, it’s not going to matter is it? He got a lovely run of banged up opponents which is going to continue in the finals. He’s been an exceptional player for a long time so I don’t think anyone will begrudge him the ring. People will forget the details behind it in years to come.

Yea, I agree, it would be hard to begrudge him a ring after the career he has had, I remember when he entered the league, he was a joy to watch, such a phenomenal player, for whatever reasons that got diluted over the years, not really through his level of play in my opinion but the teams he was on and more so the teams he had to play against.
    I agree about the banged up opponents but The Suns we’re on a sharp upwards trajectory after last years bubble showing and finishing 2nd in the regular season this year, that shouldn’t go unnoticed, would they of beaten a healthy Lakers or healthy Denver, Clippers etc, who knows but they would of given a good account of themselves that’s for sure.

Huge 3rd q by the Bucks. That should be that.

Young out there but not like he’s been throughout the playoffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I’m going with Suns in 6 again and Bucks in 6…..though Atlanta have me seriously doubting myself.

Naturally (of course) I didn’t bet on this.:rolleyes:

I just can’t see the Bucks without Giannis beating the Suns. It could even be “Suns in 4”, but likely 5.

Strange stat from the Bucks Hawks series: in 4 of the 6 games there were no lead changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

Very proud of that run. Lock up Nate for the future and keep developing around the young core. If Hunter wasn't injured that might have been a different series altogether. That sweet sweet Cam Reddish stock is on the rise!

eagle eye wrote: »
    Giannis Brook Lopez is all I have to say.

Lopez really was fantastic last two games. Putting together a really solid career.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,492 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Saw on twitter Torrey Craig will be getting a ring no matter what. He started with the Bucks and is ending with the Suns.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Hodors Applecart

ESPN reporting that Giannis should be ready for game one. Hope he is.

But with or without him I see Phoenix in 6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,492 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Even if "fit" I'd be reluctant to throw him into game 1.

We've seen plenty of instances this year of a "fit" player almost immediately breaking down and ending up worse than before.

So a small market finals. I’m sure Adam Silver is delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,705 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

"Small markets" with the 2x MVP & the most unlucky/slighted player in the league.

That’s the beauty of sports sometimes.
    Iam sure he will sleep soundly, San Antonio were dominating for years and the NBA did just fine

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    "Small markets" with the 2x MVP & the most unlucky/slighted player in the league.

That’s a good narrative :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭Corvo

Searched across all my usual podcasts on tonights game and was surprised to see none of the usual suspects (Simmons, Lowe, KOC etc) doing a decent preview and any predictions on how it might go.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Corvo wrote: »
    Searched across all my usual podcasts on tonights game and was surprised to see none of the usual suspects (Simmons, Lowe, KOC etc) doing a decent preview and any predictions on how it might go.

Lowe’s was up yesterday. Windhorst’s up since this morning.

I'd love to see Giannis get a chip but Suns in 6 for me.

Pretty quite here due to board’s revamp or whatever you call it

series has really taken off, should go all the way !!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Yeah looks like it'll be a good one indeed. Suns were pretty poor down the stretch in game 4 so will be interesting to see which way game 5 goes.

• Advertisement

Yea, I think if Booker wasn’t in foul trouble the Suns would of won. The Bucks could be poised to ruin Cp3s big moment if they keep their momentum

p.s. **** Chris Paul, dirty play pushing Giannis like that mid-air!

Boards is impossible to manage since the update. Took me far too long tracking down this thread. Hope you're enjoying the Finals. I hope the Bucks can close it out. From Giannis looking like he was out for 12 months with the leg hyperextension to almost single-handedly dragging them back into it to Middleton and Jrue becoming incredibly clutch to the block to the steal/dunk last night. It will go down as one of the greatest stories in memory if they pull this off. PS, f*ck Chis Paul!

Well deserved for the Bucks, really stepped it up these past few games, anyone that doesn’t like Giannis needs to have a chat with themselves

Aged well..lol

But Iam sure the fact that the lack of star power will justify all the hot takes to the Stephen A and Skips of the world

Giannis is a beast. What a way to close it out. I'm pretty sure I was one of those saying Giannis needed to leave the Bucks to win after last season! To be fair, Jrue was a huge pickup for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,399 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Well they sneaked past the Nets (who had smashed them the first two games with a full cast when I wrote the above) due to injury and faced Atlanta and the Suns. He came through to title in a weird year where the best teams were severely hobbled. You can’t predict that stuff!

As it is, delighted for Giannis (and likeable role players like Connaughton and Lopez). He seized the moment that was presented, unlike Booker and Paul.

Post edited by LuckyLloyd on

Giannis going 17/18 from the FT line when people were calling FTs his weakness is the icing on the cake.

Well done, Bucks!

• Advertisement

I was just trying to be obnoxious, totally understand how this all came about, Durant doesn’t have his foot on the line and we wouldn’t be having this conversation amongst other scenarios that played out but my underlying point has always been that Giannis was not wasting his career, he made a conscious decision to dedicate himself to the Bucks and that loyalty has paid off, he is still very young and had many years ahead of him at a high level, not winning championships every year doesn’t represent a waste of a career to me, there are many more intangibles that he will provide to that city and franchise over the years.

People have been very quick to jump on Paul and Booker now, as is the way in society, if your not first your last…

Booker is still improving, Paul had ups and downs but was good for the most part. I would be more inclined to give the Bucks and Giannnis credit for figuring the Suns out and not looking back.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement