Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

The precipitation needs to be more intense. It just has never got going to any extent here in Waterford City. Confidence levels of us seeing a covering have dropped but hoping this afternoon things may change.

Was just about to say the same thing, for my exact location in Galway anyway, there is a covering on the grass and mini-drifts along the walls but its a slow painful process.

From the updated Harmonie the threat of turning to rain seems to have been pushed out to Friday evening for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Chalkitdown147

Gonzo wrote: »
    Cloudy and bitterly cold here in Meath, the remaining bits of snow in the grass is frozen solid and the wind is howling, random snizzle can be spotted every now and then in the wind.

I'm only down the road from Dunshaughlin, Clonee/Ongar. What you thinking about our chances of some snow?? With that front stalling I presume best opportunity is later tomorrow night

• Registered Users Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Kent wow

mun1 wrote: »
    Got an inch or two here just outside limerick city. Boys taking a bit of time off online schooling to have a bit of much needed fun in the snowAttachment not found.

Great to see the kids having fun, but there is no indication of an inch or two in that picture. A couple of centimetres at best? Don't forget that measuring it on the grass will give a false reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Not a flake here in Wexford despite what the radar says and it seems to be losing intensity down this way now. Confidence evaporating as fast as the front

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Pops_20

Raining non stop in Cork City all morning. If the snow is due later this afternoon, I can't see any of it sticking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Pitiful attempt at snow here in Galway.
    To look outside you'd say "oh wow it's snowing" - but then you look at the cars, look at the driveway / road and nothing sticking. Bit sticking in the grass alright, but other than it hitting you in the face it's like a damn rainy day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

Fairly coming down in Westport now. Blowing wildly in the wind. Hope we get a few hours of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Craughwell Galway

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I'm only down the road from Dunshaughlin, Clonee/Ongar. What you thinking about our chances of some snow?? With that front stalling I presume best opportunity is later tomorrow night

not expecting much here in South Meath, unlikely to see anything before midnight. Could be a dusting at some stage between tomorrow morning and Saturday morning maybe 1 to 2cm if we're lucky. Northern half of Meath and western areas of Meath likely to do better, maybe 1 to 4cm north of Navan and west of Trim perhaps. Cavan/Meath border could be 6 or 7cm. Unfortunately it looks like the shadow is going give very poor amounts for south meath/coastal areas of Meath as well as north Kildare and much of Dublin away from the hillier parts of south-west Dublin.

• Advertisement

davidsr20 wrote: »
    Craughwell Galway

Nice one. Craughwell/ Loughrea is always a bit of a sweet spot.

*i know where you live now :D

The size of the flakes have increased here but the intensity just isn't there, and the wind is not helping matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

FWIW temps and DPs falling a fair bit at Cork Airport. I looked about an hour ago and it was 2c with a DP of 1.0. Now it's 0c and 0.2. Still only sleeting mind.....

Its snowing in east Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Not a flake here in Wexford despite what the radar says and it seems to be losing intensity down this way now. Confidence evaporating as fast as the front

Hold the phone we have light snow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Looking at met ie online the huge blue/green blob( !) is creeping very slowly up the west coast... Bitter cold and too cold for me to go out and check so when I hear it hitting the windows...

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Chalkitdown147

Gonzo wrote: »
    not expecting much here in South Meath, unlikely to see anything before midnight. Could be a dusting at some stage between tomorrow morning and Saturday morning maybe 1 to 2cm if we're lucky. Northern half of Meath and western areas of Meath likely to do better, maybe 1 to 4cm north of Navan and west of Trim perhaps. Cavan/Meath border could be 6 or 7cm. Unfortunately it looks like the shadow is going give very poor amounts for south meath/coastal areas of Meath as well as north Kildare and much of Dublin away from the hillier parts of south-west Dublin.

Yeah that shadow very noticeable on some of the last radar readings. Let's hope a wind change and some ninja snow

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭watlantic

After about an hour's very light 'snizzling', it has finally started to snow properly, albeit lightly, near Westport.
    Temp. now 1.1ºC, wind SE and gusting to around 30 kts, rel. hum. 82%

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,382 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Some very light flakes blowing around in Castlebar at the moment.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Yeah that shadow very noticeable on some of the last radar readings. Let's hope a wind change and some ninja snow

unfortunately the Wicklow mountains kills the snow for much of Dublin and the commuter belt in north Kildare, south Meath and Dublin county itself. I don't see the wind direction changing. Between shadows and mountains getting snow into this area is an absolute nightmare most of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,636 ✭✭✭✭fits

Powder blowing around in south Carlow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭the2hurdys

Nearly 10cm here South Tipp and still no let up since morning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭highdef

Great to see the kids having fun, but there is no indication of an inch or two in that picture. A couple of centimetres at best? Don't forget that measuring it on the grass will give a false reading.

Was actually thinking the same. I've had a total of probably just under 4cm (less than 2 inches) in the past few days. My front garden lawn is sheltered and gets no sun this time of year so has held on to everything. The grass is completely covered with no green showing but just about. With so much green showing across the lawn in the previously posted photo (ignoring the tracks made for snowperson* building), I can't imagine that there was much more than a centimetre..... Two at most. A measurement on a solid level surface away from areas that there may be some drifting will give a more accurate figure. Always completely disregard a measurement taken in the grass. Most of the measurement is air.

*Snowperson, so as not to cause any offence to any humans here who get confused with regards to what sex have what genetalia but going by that rack, there's no doubting that it's a snow-woman!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,442 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

It's a very slow moving front... by the time it'll reach Dublin it'll be well spent!

davidsr20 wrote: »
    Craughwell Galway

2 Miles west of Craughwell:

543009.jpg

543010.jpg

543011.jpg

543014.jpg

I think the snowmen took the inches.

Thats what she said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭BullBauld

It's too cold to snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

Still snowing consistently if not very heavily to the NW of Galway City.
    Front seems to have slowed considerably if not stalled so should be another few hours of snow left for here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Went up to the hill behind the lough in Castlebar to litterlly watch it arrive from the distance. Timed it well, 10 mins later wind picked up bringing blizzardy sleet. Bitterly cold now, ill see how long I can stick it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Snow has arrived in Durrow - blowing sideways here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Started to snow in my area of Kilkenny.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement