Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI officer suspended over incident at massacre commemoration.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,616 ✭✭✭✭downcow

An officer with such terrible judgement as to arrest the survivor of a massacre for swearing, shortly after the rest of his force chaperoned a terrorist show of force, shouldn't be allowed out on the street.

Absolute nonsense. These were young officers with no experience of the conflict and not the baggage you and me have.
    Tell me. Would the guards have done differently?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/crime/sean-graham-bookmakers-row-one-psni-officer-involved-catholic-republic-ireland-who-suffered-mild-concussion-during-incident-3130026

One of the officers involved is a Catholic from the Republic.

The Police Federation said one of the two officers mentioned in the story is a Catholic and the other is a Protestant.

It's not said which one was suspended.

The Federation is preparing documents for legal action against the PSNI over the suspension, according to the Nolan Show on Radio Ulster.

An officer with such terrible judgement as to arrest the survivor of a massacre for swearing, shortly after the rest of his force chaperoned a terrorist show of force, shouldn't be allowed out on the street.

Don't be ridiculous
    His actions should not be dependent on what other officers did or didn't do in a different situation.
    His actions should not be based on any kind of political interference or influence either.
    His actions should be justified and legal and it appears to me that they were.

I hope he gets lots of money for this.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

downcow wrote: »
    Absolute nonsense. These were young officers with no experience of the conflict and not the baggage you and me have.
    Tell me. Would the guards have done differently?

What are you going on about the guards for? **** policing is **** policing

bubblypop wrote: »
    Don't be ridiculous
    His actions should not be dependent on what other officers did or didn't do in a different situation.
    His actions should not be based on any kind of political interference or influence either.
    His actions should be justified and legal and it appears to me that they were.

I hope he gets lots of money for this.

Yes they should, a little bit of cop on would have stopped them dragging the entire force into even further disrepute.

• Advertisement

Yes they should, a little bit of cop on would have stopped them dragging the entire force into even further disrepute.

Absolutely not.

What are you going on about the guards for? **** policing is **** policing

Because no police service in the world comes under the scrutiny as in Northern Ireland. You a setting much higher standards for Northern Ireland police than you would for guarda

..and **** people are **** people, doesn’t matter if they were injured 30 years ago or not.

They are not a force they are a service. And when the dust settles these officers will get a payout and apology and the chief con will be the one with egg on his face.

Because no police service in the world comes under the scrutiny as in Northern Ireland. You a setting much higher standards for Northern Ireland police than you would for guarda

..and **** people are **** people, doesn’t matter if they were injured 30 years ago or not.

Pull the other one, you just want to drag down everything to your twisted sectarian level

Pull the other one, you just want to drag down everything to your twisted sectarian level

You are the one bringing sectarianism into it. I am clearly showing you that sectarianism was not involved and you are getting upset about it.
    You must have loved it when you thought Protestant officers had waded in to a crowd of poor wee Catholics. But it was nothing to do with it. A catholic officer took his notebook out and a dissident (not sure if he is still one) launched a verbal swearing attack on him.

• Advertisement

You are the one bringing sectarianism into it. I am clearly showing you that sectarianism was not involved and you are getting upset about it.
    You must have loved it when you thought Protestant officers had waded in to a crowd of poor wee Catholics. But it was nothing to do with it. A catholic officer took his notebook out and a dissident (not sure if he is still one) launched a verbal swearing attack on him.

There you go again, all about catholics and protestants. It was 2 eejits without an ounce of common sense

There you go again, all about catholics and protestants. It was 2 eejits without an ounce of common sense

I actually agree with you. But the officer was young and had an excuse Sykes on the other hand was an old eejit and should have had more sense. But yes two eejits.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Mark Sykes was arrested.
    Here he is opposing the GFA.

Like everyone in the DUP now the largest political party of Unionism?

You are the one bringing sectarianism into it.

Your 1st post on this matter:
    Do you realise that it was a catholic officer from Roi who intervened

Fooling noone mate

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

This is amazing. I suppose the optics really aren't great at all for policing in northern Ireland

https://twitter.com/ConorMacHistory/status/1359495692604092417?s=19

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

I can't think of a way the optics could be worse! I really do pity people signing up for this job, particularly those from the nationalist/Catholic community. The organisation has become rotten to the core with incompetence, selective enforcement and political bias. Everyone knows it, but nobody has the balls to say it for fear of essentially ending their career.
    smurgen wrote: »
    This is amazing. I suppose the optics really aren't great at all for policing in northern Ireland

https://twitter.com/ConorMacHistory/status/1359495692604092417?s=19

Shield wrote: »
    I can't think of a way the optics could be worse! I really do pity people signing up for this job, particularly those from the nationalist/Catholic community. The organisation has become rotten to the core with incompetence, selective enforcement and political bias. Everyone knows it, but nobody has the balls to say it for fear of essentially ending their career.

The one thing that I was always told about the PSNI was that the police politics wasnt as toxic as AGS. I guess thats sadly changed

Your CC should be ashamed for throwing his own men under the bus so fast

Your 1st post on this matter:

Fooling noone mate

Sounds like that post was a reply to someone else, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-56016911
    The Police Federation told BBC News NI that it had not ruled out legal action.

A spokesman said they would "exhaust all internal processes in defending our members in this case" but had "not ruled out legal action, including seeking a judicial review, in respect of this matter".

So how many of you have the balls to admit you are wrong.

More information is now out.
    The officer suspended was a young catholic from the ROI. He joined the service because he had a passion for ensuring there was nationalist representation on the Psni.
    He was surrounded and fiercely verbally attacked specifically because he was from ROI. He was swore at, told he was a ****ing turncoat and he was a ****ing rat.
    He had to be treated for concussion after the incident.
    He finally with support of others arrested the main agitator.

The chief con is a disgrace and to defend his actions, as some of you doing, is a disgrace

The irony that I am supporting the young catholic Psni officer and some of you are defending the actions of the leadership.

Sack him for all his bad judgements. The 3 biggest being
    1 not dealing at all with Story funeral
    2 not dealing effectively with Uvf incident in east Belfast
    3 suspending this young officer
    Etc etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

"Out" from where - are you going to put your source up? What do you want people to have the balls to admit they were wrong about btw? Has anyone here said the PSNI officer in the video wasn't from the South/or a Catholic?
    The officer suspended was a young catholic from the ROI. He joined the service because he had a passion for ensuring there was nationalist representation on the Psni.
    He was surrounded and fiercely verbally attacked specifically because he was from ROI. He was swore at, told he was a ****ing turncoat and he was a ****ing rat.

The chief con is a disgrace and to defend his actions, as some of you doing, is a disgrace

The irony that I am supporting the young catholic Psni officer and some of you are defending the actions of the leadership.

Etc etc etc

Where are you getting this information from though,.like would you not just do the courtesy of linking to your source? Why did he need treatment for concussion?

Did he get a bang on the head from something? Or does concussion mean something different now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

So how many of you have the balls to admit you are wrong.

Etc etc etc

Sounds like the rantings of a mad man. Go out for some fresh air.

McMurphy wrote: »
    "Out" from where - are you going to put your source up? What do you want people to have the balls to admit they were wrong about btw? Has anyone here said the PSNI officer in the video wasn't from the South/or a Catholic?

Where are you getting this information from though,.like would you not just do the courtesy of linking to your source? Why did he need treatment for concussion?

Did he get a bang on the head from something? Or does concussion mean something different now?

Various sources.

The individual
    that was arrested has done an interview on radio. He admitted swearing at the officer as a response to him taking out his notebook, admitted being warned that he would be arrested if he continued swearing at the officer, admitted continuing to swear at the officer.

Bbc journalists
    The officer was surrounded and verbally abused including being called a rat.
    Officer suffered concussion

Member of policing board
    Officer was singled out for special attention because he was from Roi
    Officers arrived by chance passing and saw crowd.
    Officer sought advice from management.

Lots more. If there is a specific thing I have stated anywhere just tell me what and I’ll give you the actual source and link
    I can’t start linking everything said in the thread.

Various sources.

Your hole doesn't count as one though unfortunately.

Without anything backing you up, you might as well say Sykes started attacking the peelers with laser beams from his eye sockets FFS.

Next.......

He didn't arrest him for nothing, he was arrested for Public Order offences. The least you can expect as a policeman is that your superiors have your back when you are correctly doing your job.
    Police should not be influenced by politics.
    You would imagine he will be due a nice pay out from this.

McMurphy wrote: »
    Your hole doesn't count as one though unfortunately.

Without anything backing you up, you might as well say Sykes started attacking the peelers with laser beams from his eye sockets FFS.

Next.......

No idea what you mean. If there is something you don’t believe then be specific and I will give you the evidence.

I think the penny is starting to drop with you. Thank god

He didn't arrest him for nothing, he was arrested for Public Order offences. The least you can expect as a policeman is that your superiors have your back when you are correctly doing your job.

Yeah exactly.
    The problem is that there is a feeling with some here that the Psni should not be allowed to arrest shinners You saw it when Gerry Adams was a arrested for questioning around some terrible atrocities a couple of years ago - Bobby Storey said ‘how dare they’.
    This is more of the same on Friday and a very naive English Cheif con has fell right into the trap.

psni leadership will only support officers letting uvf force people from their houses......while arresting relatives for laying flowers at scene of a uda massacre,serious qs need asking about its priorities and ethos

psni leadership will only support officers letting uvf force people from their houses......while arresting relatives for laying flowers at scene of a massacre,serious qs need asking about its priorities and ethos

A police officer doing his job, without political bias or influence should be encouraged and supported.

• Advertisement

No idea what you mean. If there is something you don’t believe then be specific and I will give you the evidence.

I think the penny is starting to drop with you. Thank god

You do know what I mean, you're passing hearsay from your own narrow-minded echo chamber off as factual and refusing to provide source's.

Let's start with the concussion claim, I watched the video, and am very familiar with the area, I spent almost 3 years there (Curzon Street) as a student.

Why was he treated for concussion downcow? Did he get a clout on the head?

Advertisement