Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭mioniqa

That's pretty odious even by his standards. Even it was true, tell the guards what you know but don't go blabbing about it in the press unless and until there is strong evidence linking one of these alleged lovers to the crime...

It's par for the course for red top rags though. Nothing unusual in that at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Just read all 36 pages of the GSOC report. All I can say is whoever murdered Sophie can only be delighted with the sheer level of incompetence of the Gardai involved as they have gotten away with murder. MF should be in jail or the Central Mental Hospital. Who are all these men throwing themselves at her (mentions men/relationships in the report - are they blind?!!!). Wasn’t aware of the witness statement (no.55) about the “tanned” man in a jeep with a woman that was removed from one of the job books?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Someone earlier mentioned a possible disagreement over land.
    I had a look on landdirect.ie and if Im reading it right it appears there are a total of nine parcels of land in the folio totalling about 16 acres ,
    so small parcels averaging less than 2 acres.
    J.S would probably have explored this angle bearing in mind his "Field"
    But people have been killed in this country for a couple of acres or less.

Attachment not found.
    bb12 wrote: »
    there was a couple who were interested in buying the land off sophie, circa 13 acres. the woman kept her horses there and wanted to start a trekking business. they were brought in for questioning but nothing came of it.
    I remember reading that , but looking at that map I'd say there were boundaries with at least 6 or more other properties.
    The folio is made up of bits of land spread around , two of which are shared commonages.
    The largest patch is just over 4 acres , so the pony lady must have wanted it all except the bit around the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

I went from thinking Ian Bailey was 100% guilty with no doubt . Then with all the carry on with the guards I started to have doubts .Then the DPP went to great lenths to release a report that castigates the guards and when it was made public I read it report and now I think he is a 100% innocent .

chicorytip wrote: »
    The hitman theory was put forward by Bailey when he was interviewed by journalists in the days following the discovery of the body. He also penned articles for the Daily Star alleging Sophie may have met her death at the hands of one of the many lovers she had entertained at the cottage in the aftermath of the break up of her marriage. It transpired that she had only one short lived romantic relationship during this period with a sixty nine year old French film director. Bailey also claims Daniel Du Plantier was in financial difficulties and may have had Sophie bumped off to prevent her getting half his assets under the terms of any divorce. All of this was scurrilous, self serving tactics by Bailey purely to deflect attention away from himself being a strong suspect for her killing.
    Daniel had financial problems.It's in the netflix doc and not from Bailey, from one of Sophie's relations I think It is also very suspicious his not coming to Ireland when Sophie died. I do not believe his reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭irishgeo

SoulWriter wrote: »
    Daniel had financial problems.It's in the netflix doc and not from Bailey, from one of Sophie's relations I think

Sophie had life insurance too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

odyssey06 wrote: »
    He had no known motive, which is the same thing in terms of how anyone else can respond to this case in terms of a motive that would be considered enough to support murder.

Did he know her? Nobody has established that for sure.
    A neighbour thinks he introduced them but was not certain.
    Maybe he knew her very slightly, he would have known of her.
    Nobody saw them canoodling, or saw Bailey at her house, or saw them alone together.

No motive. No evidence of his ever being at the scene of the crime.

No forensics.

Evidence that could exonerate him or point to other suspects conveniently lost.

He is innocent.

Even if he never spoke to her, Schull is a small place, he would have seen her around the town, knew where she lived. She knew him and said she was meeting him, her uncle confirmed to. The whole place knows who he is. He was doing work on the neighbours , of course he knew her. And I find it very hard to believe he didn’t speak to her as he was always pushing himself on people around their and demanding people’s attention. He loves being the centre of attention, he ruined his partners 70th bday.

irishgeo wrote: »
    Sophie had life insurance too.
    Insured by Daniel?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,892 ✭✭✭✭listermint

fin12 wrote: »
    Even if he never spoke to her, Schull is a small place, he would have seen her around the town, knew where she lived. She knew him and said she was meeting him, her uncle confirmed to. The whole place knows who he is. He was doing work on the neighbours , of course he knew her. And I find it very hard to believe he didn’t speak to her as he was always pushing himself on people around their and demanding people’s attention. He loves being the centre of attention, he ruined his partners 70th bday.

Just to be clear. The uncle did not confirm Ian bailey was meeting her.

Two french friends over two decades later suddenly remembered she had told them she was in discussions with a local poet .

This sort of evidence is highly questionable considering the time frames and this was done after all evidence had been released into public.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,212 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

i truly hope im never in the local area of a murder scene , id absolutely say nothing to the gardai,they cannot be trusted. therefore id look guilty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭tibruit

listermint wrote: »

Two french friends over two decades later suddenly remembered she had told them she was in discussions with a local poet .

Not two decades later. I remember this was known not long after the murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

Treppen wrote: »
    Same here, very hard to listen to MF.

But I think her descriptions are very tantalising, first it was Bailey who was following Sophie and out at the bridge.

Then it was a foreign person "with a beret".

The fact that she would never reveal the man in her car (was she ever in the car?) Could mean it was a Garda.

What has her husband said under questioning?

Can anyone put up a source for where she was going on about being able to identify a mark/mole on a Garda's private?

100% she was having an affair with the Gard. I just read the GSOC report and I think even more than I did before that someone in the Gards is deeply involved in what happened to Sophie.

Just read all 36 pages of the GSOC report. All I can say is whoever murdered Sophie can only be delighted with the sheer level of incompetence of the Gardai involved as they have gotten away with murder. MF should be in jail or the Central Mental Hospital. Who are all these men throwing themselves at her (mentions men/relationships in the report - are they blind?!!!). Wasn’t aware of the witness statement (no.55) about the “tanned” man in a jeep with a woman that was removed from one of the job books?
    Do you know who the person is GSOC tracked to England who refused to give statement
    From GSOC report
    2.11 Extensive efforts were undertaken by GSOC to trace the whereabouts of a person considered a key witness in this complaint investigation. This witness was eventually traced to a location in England and in February 2014, GSOC investigators attended a pre-arranged appointment with the witness at an agreed location with the intention of obtaining a witness statement from the witness. The witness failed to provide the statement as requested.

tibruit wrote: »
    Not two decades later. I remember this was known not long after the murder.

By whom ? Any details of that as I haven't seen any of that in anything I've checked , only the recent Netflix doc.

By whom ? Any details of that as I haven't seen any of that in anything I've checked , only the recent Netflix doc.

I just remember that at the time this was in the media. She had told a friend that she had been in contact with a poet in Ireland. Bailey knew her. He had been doing Alfie`s gardening, attending Alfie`s parties, Alfie said he was 90% certain he had introduced them. The hot French film producer next door and the opportunities it offered was to the forefront of Bailey`s mind. He was always on the lookout for the next gig. He turned up at the reconstruction after the murder offering his services ffs.

Sophie came to Ireland to sort out the heating because her parents were coming in the new year. She had asked a number of people to come with her and this was unusual. She had already clearly met Bailey and was expecting to meet him again and was probably feeling threatened by his overbearing personality.

Do you know who the person is GSOC tracked to England who refused to give statement
    From GSOC report

No, I thought it was that Martin Graham fella who has since died - the fella who allegedly the Garda bribed to spy on IB but I think they mentioned in the report that they spoke to him but he didn’t wish to give a statement. I would like to know who that person is also.

No, I thought it was that Thomas fella who has since died - the fella who allegedly the Garda bribed to spy on IB but I think they mentioned in the report that they spoke to him but he didn’t wish to give a statement. I would like to know who that person is also.
    you mean Martin Graham?

you mean Martin Graham?

Yes, what was I thinking! Post edited.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Bailey seemed like he was loving being the centre of attention in this, even if the didn't do it he doesn't seem to give a toss about the real victim here which is the murdered woman.

He should clear off back to his own country.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

rebeve wrote: »
    I went from thinking Ian Bailey was 100% guilty with no doubt . Then with all the carry on with the guards I started to have doubts .Then the DPP went to great lenths to release a report that castigates the guards and when it was made public I read it report and now I think he is a 100% innocent .

Where can I read this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Where can I read this?

Think it was Omsubmans report here

https://www.gardaombudsman.ie/news-room/archive/information-report-from-the-garda-siochana-ombudsman-commission-at-the-completion-of-the-investigation-into-the-complaints-of-ian-bailey-catherine-jules-thomas-and-marie-farrell/?download=file&file=2748
    3.23(f) That the case against Mr. Bailey has been based on this false narrative and that the so called “evidence” garnered by a large number of officers under the direction and command of various senior officers, including (but not exclusively), three named senior gardaí and others, was falsified, forged and fabricated with one overriding intention - to “frame” Mr. Bailey.

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 29,282 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I just remember that at the time this was in the media. She had told a friend that she had been in contact with a poet in Ireland. Bailey knew her. He had been doing Alfie`s gardening, attending Alfie`s parties, Alfie said he was 90% certain he had introduced them. The hot French film producer next door and the opportunities it offered was to the forefront of Bailey`s mind. He was always on the lookout for the next gig. He turned up at the reconstruction after the murder offering his services ffs.

Sophie came to Ireland to sort out the heating because her parents were coming in the new year. She had asked a number of people to come with her and this was unusual. She had already clearly met Bailey and was expecting to meet him again and was probably feeling threatened by his overbearing personality.

Nope, she had not already clearly met Bailey. If she clearly already met her, please provides the dates times and locations.
    If it was that clear, I assume it was documented even by the keystone cops investigating the case.

Expecting to meet him again? Nope, that's something you just made up.
    It's not at all clear Bailey knew her. Alife thinks he introduced them but not certain.
    This is a combinaion of conjecture and stuff you have made up in an entirely baseless and groundless manner.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Nope, she had not already clearly met Bailey. If she clearly already met her, please provides the dates times and locations.
    If it was that clear, I assume it was documented even by the keystone cops investigating the case.

Expecting to meet him again? Nope, that's something you just made up.
    It's not at all clear Bailey knew her. Alife thinks he introduced them but not certain.
    This is a combinaion of conjecture and stuff you have made up in an entirely baseless and groundless manner.

There are two French witnesses. One is a female friend who stated that Sophie was in contact with and going to meet a writer/poet in Ireland (this was widely known in the media at the time) and a male aquaintance who stated that the man`s name was Eoin Bailey. Both speak in the Netflix doc. Then in Ireland, Alfie says he introduced them to each other. I believe the witnesses. I don`t believe Bailey. You are being ridiculous asking for dates and times.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

There are two French witnesses. One is a female friend who stated that Sophie was in contact with and going to meet a writer/poet in Ireland (this was widely known in the media at the time) and a male aquaintance who stated that the man`s name was Eoin Bailey. Both speak in the Netflix doc. Then in Ireland, Alfie says he introduced them to each other. I believe the witnesses. I don`t believe Bailey. You are being ridiculous asking for dates and times.

From the documentary it seems this information from those witnesses was presented some twenty years after the murder.

Neither which are reliable and made these statements as recently as 2019.

Oh and you who vaguely remembers some reporting back then ....

From the documentary it seems this information from those witnesses was presented some twenty years after the murder.

I knew about the female friend for years before the Netflix doc. She had never known the name of the writer/poet. I wasn`t aware of the male witness who stated that Sophie said his name was Eoin Bailey.

The female is Agnes
    She said it came back because they created the association* so it was a very long time afterwards. Netflix part 3 47.35

*For the truth about Sophie or whatever it is correctly called

• Registered Users Posts: 29,282 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Alfie didn't say he introduced them. He says he probably did.
    Important difference which your phrasing leaves out and is rather important when your case is based on witness statements.
    Especially when zero fornensics were found at the scene tying Bailey to it.

You are the one saying he clearly met Sophie.
    If it's so clear where is your irrefutable evidence.
    You are being ridiculous making such certain claims without any specific evidence to back it up.

Sophie died in 1996. This male acquaintance \ French witness came forward in 1999 apparently. On a mission to the Arctic or something? Or leaned on to make something up?
    Girard said "Eoin Bailey lives next door to me in Cork"
    https://watchers.ie/2021/06/28/this-unsolved-murder-has-gripped-a-nation-and-france-for-over-a-quarter-of-a-century/

Does he live next door to Sophie in Cork? Can you shown me that on a map?

If Sophie was in contact with, and planning to meet Bailey, where's the phone evidence, where's the letter evidence, where is the witness evidence of them having being spotted together in company together?
    There's no evidence of it because it never happened.

Just as no evidence was found of Bailey at the crime scene - because he wasn't there.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,907 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

I find it odd that MF said she didn't know who IB was , especially as it seems one of Jules daughters babysat for her .
    Lets say she didn't know him before STDPs murder , well that would make it even more strange that she'd have Jules daughter as a baby sitter after it since IB was meant to be intimidating her . That'd be the last thing you'd imagine anyone would do , hire the daughter of the partner of the man you believe is a murderer.
    Or did she know it wasn't IB that was guilty at all .
    It's all so fcuked up .

• Advertisement

Neither which are reliable and made these statements as recently as 2019.

Oh and you who vaguely remembers some reporting back then ....

And Bailey is reliable?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement