Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Hopefully but then the problem will be the government/NPHET won't accept it

I have lost all faith in them with the stunt they pulled recently alright. Staying positive with our numbers though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭Cork2021

funnydoggy wrote: »
    I have lost all faith in them with the stunt they pulled recently alright. Staying positive with our numbers though :)

You see 50,000 plus vaccines again given yesterday gives me great hope and then with AZ and J&J available to everyone we’ll fly through them in July

• Registered Users Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

These vaccines will catch up with the variant in no time.

We will be swimming in vaccine in 3 months. Govt are talking about paying people to take it now.

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    We will be swimming in vaccine in 3 months. Govt are talking about paying people to take it now.

They might at the end but I would imagine once the young people can get the chemist vaccines there'll be a huge uptake! Hopefully 🀞

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Hi Guys,
    Hopefully putting this in the right spot and hopefully someone might be able to either offer assistance or might be in the same boat and make me feel better! I got my first vaccine, Moderna at my GP on the 13th May as I qualifed under a medical cohort. At the time they had told me they were advised by the HSE that they wouldn't receive any further doses of moderna so I wouldn't be able to get my second shot there, but that they would assist me in locating one through the HSE.

Today marks the 3rd week that I am overdue for my second dose,ie i should have gotten it today 3 weeks ago. I've got a case logged with the HSE for the last 3 weeks and one day since I was advised by the GP to follow up with them, and every time I call the HSE for an update they just say your case is logged there's no update. I'm also unable to register myself online since my PPS number is in use from when the GP sent my name to the HSE. I've asked to speak with a supervisor or team lead at the HSE call center but they just say no one is available. Basically, I feel like I am up against a brick wall and its quite upsetting at this stage. The GP just keeps saying its nothing to do with us we cant help you.
    Has anyone got any ideas or advice? All gratefully received at this point!

You could ask when your local MVC has it's next Moderna day.

• Advertisement

They might at the end but I would imagine once the young people can get the chemist vaccines there'll be a huge uptake! Hopefully ��

Definitely, but if it's true that only half the 35-39 applied online, then id imagine even less 30-34 will be applying next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

How close to the 8 week target should you expect a 2nd AZ vaccine

My folks are 8 weeks from their first today

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Definitely, but if it's true that only half the 35-39 applied online, then id imagine even less 30-34 will be applying next week.

In the 25-49 age group, approximately 20% were already vaccinated before the portal opened for their age group. Not everyone will be vaccinated via the portal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Hi Guys,
    Hopefully putting this in the right spot and hopefully someone might be able to either offer assistance or might be in the same boat and make me feel better!

I've nothing useful to add unfortunately, but just to say I'm in the same boat. Got my first dose of Pfizer from my GP on 11th June and was told I'd be referred to the HSE for the second dose at a vaccination centre, as the GP was finished with vaccinations.

I'm not due for the second dose till the end of next week, but rang the HSE last Monday just to make sure I'm registered. They couldn't find a record for me, but set one up over the phone.

Then today I got a call from a Dublin number I didn't recognise saying my record wasn't created correctly and they were missing my PPS number and other details, which I definitely gave them already. Sounded dodgy so I decided to ring the HSE Live number instead, and they said my record is fine and they have all the info they need.

Assumed it was a scam call, but I googled the number and I've seen it mentioned in this thread too and it actually seems legit. So now I've no idea what to think. Sounds like I might have two separate records on their system, which doesn't inspire confidence!

I'm going to leave it till the end of next week and if I don't hear anything, I'll start ringing every day until I get somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭howiya

Heard the same. Friend in late 20s got the call this week from his GP and said there was near 30 people queued up outside waiting for the vaccine.

My parents early 60s got the second AZ dose recently too.

Is it your GP that is giving out the vaccine? The wife got hers in one of the vaccine centres. Assumed I'd be the same. Or does it depend?

We're not with the same GP and I actually live nearer the vaccine centre than my GP as I've moved and not moved GP.

Also how long are people waiting? I'm registered two weeks this Sunday and haven't heard anything back yet. The portal says you should hear within three weeks but I know others who've got their appointment already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,982 ✭✭✭blackcard

8 weeks exactly for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I've heard speculation that the AZ second doses could be nearly finished by July 12th or so, so your folks can expect a text very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭robinbird

Skygord wrote: »
    How far are we from being able to say "our vulnerable are fully vaccinated"?

For this analysis, I've defined "our vulnerable" as:
    • Cohort 1 (Long Term Residential Care)
    • Cohort 3 (Over 70's)
    • Cohort 4 (Medically Very High Risk)
    • Cohort 5 (60's)
    • Cohort 7 (Medically High Risk)

According to
    https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/covid19-updates/vaccination-programme-dashboard-as-of-29-june-2021.pdf

the total of these cohorts awaiting their 2nd dose is 385,394, which breaks down to:
    • Cohort 1: 5114
    • Cohort 3: 32,223
    • Cohort 4: 43,438
    • Cohort 5: 221,061
    • Cohort 7: 83,558

In terms of AZ Cohort 1 and 3 long finished. Cohort 4/7 stopped getting AZ 12 weeks ago so should be finished.
    Which leaves the over 60s.
    221K left of which maybe 200K will take second dose.
    Doing 100k a week so they should be nearly done by end of next week.
    With all 60s from now on getting it after 8 weeks.
    That should free up the MVCs to do an extra 100k a week of Pfizer.

200k 35=39s registered. Could be even less 30-34s
    At least 20% of 18=34s have gotten Pfiizer through their GPS.
    They will now be allowed to get Jansen through pharmacies which could take 100k of 20s.
    If they want to do it even quicker they could give Pfizer to pharmacies as well as GPs.

So if the MVCs can do 350,000 a week at full capacity.
    Approx 1,400,000 for July
    AZ - 200,000 (over 60s)
    Pfizer 2nd doses 480,000 ( 400,000 over 40s, 80,000 cohort 7)

Which means they could do approx 700,000 first doses of Pfizer/Moderna
    Should be enough to do remaining 35-49s , all 30-34s and put a big dent in 20s

See no reason anyone that wants jab can't be offered one by end July.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

I despair, here we are going into a 4th wave with this India Varient, when are we going to get serious about this Pandemic. You can forgive the 1st wave and maybe the second but the Govt could have done more to stop the 3rd and 4th wave. While most of use were staying in and following rules people were flying in and out of this country willy nilly and afaics it is still happenning. We are an Island, how can it be so hard to keep varients we know about that originated abroad out of the country.

I despair, here we are going into a 4th wave with this India Varient, when are we going to get serious about this Pandemic. .

Deaths are very rare now.

Most over 60s are fully vaxxed, most over 35s have gotten the first dose.

We're into the "just deal with it" stage.

In the UK, at the height of the last wave, over 1500 people were dying of COVID per day.

Now, less than 1500 have died over the past 3 months and they're deep into their Delta wave.

Some neutralization data for J&J. Very good results. Only a 1.6 fold reduction for Delta compared to 3.6 and 3.4 for Beta and Gamma respectively. Seems to be holding up very well against variants.

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.07.01.450707v1

Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS‐CoV‐2) continues to evolve and recently emerging variants with substitutions in the Spike protein have led to growing concerns over increased transmissibility and decreased vaccine coverage due to immune evasion. Here, sera from recipients of a single dose of our Ad26.COV2.S COVID‐19 vaccine were tested for neutralizing activity against several SARS‐CoV‐2 variants of concern. All tested variants demonstrated susceptibility to Ad26.COV2.S‐induced serum neutralization albeit mainly reduced as compared to the B.1 strain. Most pronounced reduction was observed for the B.1.351 (Beta; 3.6‐fold) and P.1 (Gamma; 3.4‐fold) variants that contain similar mutations in the receptor‐binding domain (RBD) while only a 1.6‐fold reduction was observed for the widely spreading B.1.617.2 (Delta) variant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Deaths are very rare now.

Most over 60s are fully vaxxed, most over 35s have gotten the first dose.

We're into the "just deal with it" stage.

In the UK, at the height of the last wave, over 1500 people were dying of COVID per day.

Now, less than 1500 have died over the past 3 months and they're deep into their Delta wave.

The UK Delta wave only started at the beginning of June. Cases are still growing rapidly. They are not deep into their Delta wave.

I think the Irish government are being way over cautious but you're way over stating the data from the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭eoinbn

We are an Island, how can it be so hard to keep varients we know about that originated abroad out of the country.

There are two countries on the island. Keeping a variant off the island would be impossible without NI banning travel from Britain.
    Maybe we should have a better plan to deal with it when it gets in, but that is a different debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Presume more details will follow on this,

To add he also said next Friday the portal for 30-34 opens for Pfizer & Moderna. Vaccination to start about a week later.

https://twitter.com/ciaraphelan_/status/1410860104388427779?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Interesting. I booked an appointment on Tueday for a date in 3 weeks time, it's yet to be cancelled - I'd be delighted if it stays in the system

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Why not 18-39?. Here's me still waiting for my appointment, I'd register for Janssen today if I could.

Any road, anything that can get more vaccines rolled out is good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

seamus wrote: »
    Why not 18-39?. Here's me still waiting for my appointment, I'd register for Janssen today if I could.

Journal are reporting 18-34 for Janssen through pharmacies starting Monday. So book away. There is a list of pharmacies on the HSE website that are signed up IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,763 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

seamus wrote: »

I know a guy who can get you a good fake i.d. :)

I suspect it's about getting that younger cohort vaccinated quickly and allow the regular roll out to continue as it has been for the last few months. A pincer movement if you will

Mr.S wrote: »
    So from Monday 5th you can get J&J from a pharmacy? Nice.

July will be some month for the vaccine figures.

Yes, worth keeping in mind though J&J stock is limited so between all the pharmacy but I believe there's just over 100k in storage so a decent delivery for those participating.

The list of those participating is here
    https://www2.hse.ie/Apps/Services/PharmaciesServiceList.aspx

Would assume most will have an appointment based system or a waiting list in place already

O' Sullivans group in Cork has no waiting list anyway. Might ring them on my lunch break today

Edit: might just ring boots

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Boots website down, dun dun dun.

O' Sullivans group in Cork has no waiting list anyway. Might ring them on my lunch break today

Edit: might just ring boots

Boots I think is just through an online portal which doesn't appear to be online right now, perhaps a sign its being updated. I checked right as Donnelly made the announcement and it was already offline then so would assume they've been given a heads up

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jammyd

Sorry I’m confused still plenty of people who haven’t gotten appointments myself included 35 and from next week 18-34 can essentially Walk into a pharmacy and get the 1 dose shot, you couldn’t make this s$$t up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Jammyd wrote: »
    Sorry I’m confused still plenty of people who haven’t gotten appointments myself included 35 and from next week 18-34 can essentially Walk into a pharmacy and get the 1 dose shot, you couldn’t make this s$$t up

It means more people will get vaccinated quicker. It's a (very, very) good thing.

Advertisement