Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hay 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

A little bit of rain on a cut crop of hay helps keep it a little less dusty.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,362 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Tileman wrote: »
    We haven’t had a drop of rain here in past 5-6 days. Lovely warm breeze and weather is good at weekend. Anyone that cut last weekend will get it here no prob.

Yeah 7 acres here gonna be baled up sat

Bale this up tomorrow

First 7 acres baled. The other 3 acres tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭johnnyw20

Reggie. wrote: »
    First 7 acres baled. The other 3 acres tomorrow

How many days was that down? Going baling some myself Monday evening

• Advertisement

johnnyw20 wrote: »
    How many days was that down? Going baling some myself Monday evening

Down since late last sat so really 6 days. Turned 3 times

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭893bet

Might be a hay window from this Friday on I think. Forecast is good. We have a bit I will chance.

Midwest area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Sami23

893bet wrote: »
    Might be a hay window from this Friday on I think. Forecast is good. We have a bit I will chance.

Midwest area.

Yes it's looking that way alright isn't it.
    Will you cut before Friday and let it wilt away even if gets a bit of rain or will ya hold off cutting till Friday or Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭893bet

Sami23 wrote: »
    Yes it's looking that way alright isn't it.
    Will you cut before Friday and let it wilt away even if gets a bit of rain or will ya hold off cutting till Friday or Saturday

Would like to but only window I have between day job and family is Friday afternoon/evening.

Just looked at a correct weather site and they have 50-60 percent chance rain every day....! Strange! Gonna ignore that one...!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Too_Old_Boots

Looking at the bbc long range forecast today till tomorrow morning will see some mist and patchy rain it's promised good from Thursday onwards, getting hot from Sunday to Wednesday.
    (Hay fever now hitting a lot of farmers by the end of the week :P)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭Tileman

Looking at the bbc long range forecast today till tomorrow morning will see some mist and patchy rain it's promised good from Thursday onwards, getting hot from Sunday to Wednesday.
    (Hay fever now hitting a lot of farmers by the end of the week :P)

Unfortunately mine is in Glas which doesn’t permit until 1st July which is next Thursday .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,909 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

father cut about 30 acres yesterday. north cork area, so here's hoping for the best !!

let the fun begin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭Who2

2smiggy wrote: »
    father cut about 30 acres yesterday. north cork area, so here's hoping for the best !!

let the fun begin

Once it’s not small squares it shouldn’t be too bad.

Who2 wrote: »
    Once it’s not small squares it shouldn’t be too bad.

it's just 3 handy fields, so all should be good. all our own gear, so not relying on anyone else !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

it's just 3 handy fields, so all should be good. all our own gear, so not relying on anyone else !!

3 handy fields?

Up west 30 acres could be bigger than an entire farm and more than that a 10 acre field is a fair sized field.

Just goes to show the difference in land across the country.

Best of luck with it, I presume you have good gear otherwise it could take all week to do 1 field.

3 handy fields?

Up west 30 acres could be bigger than an entire farm and more than that a 10 acre field is a fair sized field.

Just goes to show the difference in land across the country.

Best of luck with it, I presume you have good gear otherwise it could take all week to do 1 field.

meant it in a way that the fields are fairly easy as they not 10 smaller fields !!

Ya have fairly good gear. This is a bit of a relief, as he grazed a lot more this year, and made more round bales of silage. He would often cut 60 acres together for hay !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭White Clover

meant it in a way that the fields are fairly easy as they not 10 smaller fields !!

Ya have fairly good gear. This is a bit of a relief, as he grazed a lot more this year, and made more round bales of silage. He would often cut 60 acres together for hay !!

Fair play, out of interest, could you give us a run through the gear. I'm always interested in farming fleets!
    I understand if you don't want to.

Fair play, out of interest, could you give us a run through the gear. I'm always interested in farming fleets!
    I understand if you don't want to.

John deere 6910
    john deere 6820
    Kuhn 10 ft mower
    lotus 600 4 rotor tedder
    hay bob
    mchale 5500 baler

it does fine for what we need to do. sometimes neighbours with balers join in if the weather dictates, and vise versa !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭White Clover

John deere 6910
    john deere 6820
    Kuhn 10 ft mower
    lotus 600 4 rotor tedder
    hay bob
    mchale 5500 baler

it does fine for what we need to do. sometimes neighbours with balers join in if the weather dictates, and vise versa !!

That's a fine set up. Fair play to ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭JohnChadwick

Unfortunately mine is in Glas which doesn’t permit until 1st July which is next Thursday .

Can you cut LIPP in GLAS? Does it have to be hay, or is silage OK?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Mitchells33

Weather looking good from Sunday onwards, hoping to knock some on Saturday or Sunday, anyone else going for it?

Weather looking good from Sunday onwards, hoping to knock some on Saturday or Sunday, anyone else going for it?

Yeah gonna knock a couple of fields here as soon as weather permits after today's rain.
    Wonder how far into next week we'll get ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭DBK1

Can you cut LIPP in GLAS? Does it have to be hay, or is silage OK?
    LIPP is Low Input Permanent Pasture. The key is in the name, permanent pasture. It can’t be mowed for hay or silage at any time of the year. You are permitted to top it after the 1st July.

Traditional hay meadow can be mowed after 1st July. Ideally it’s supposed to be for hay but most around here bale it and wrap it.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭JohnChadwick

DBK1 wrote: »
    LIPP is Low Input Permanent Pasture. The key is in the name, permanent pasture. It can’t be mowed for hay or silage at any time of the year. You are permitted to top it after the 1st July.

What's the penalty if you are caught cutting it for hay/silage?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Mitchells33

Sami23 wrote: »
    Yeah gonna knock a couple of fields here as soon as weather permits after today's rain.
    Wonder how far into next week we'll get ?

It is hard to figure out, weather forecast changes every hour, I am hoping we get till next Wednesday anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Asus1

Hopefully knock around 10acres this evening or tomorrow here in Kildare.Grass has gotten fierce heavy over a 2 week period and the bit of rain we got has some of the grass lodging so it has to be cut.
    Looking good around Midlands till next week so hopefully will get good hay.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Too_Old_Boots

What's the penalty if you are caught cutting it for hay/silage?
    They can fine you the amount the option is worth right up to kicking you out of the scheme and looking for all the payments to be repaid.
    Never heard of anyone getting caught, but they were supposed to be moving to full satellite monitoring soon but idk if the software AI is in place yet.

Wonder do many lads chance it a few days early when the weather is there to get hay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Question for the experts...A field that produces 50 silage bales(baled after 2days down) will produce how many hay bales?

• Advertisement

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Question for the experts...A field that produces 50 silage bales(baled after 2days down) will produce how many hay bales?

I'd guess 40

Advertisement