Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lazy attitude to Ladies/Girls in Sport

• 02-07-2021 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭

KK Girls underage gf team supposed to be playing Louth next Wednesday at 7.30.
    The Venue was supposed to be in Louth, wasnt confirmed.
    Its a 3 team group , with 2 going through.

we got a text last night from the management to announce that they had decided to award a walkover to Louth.
    The reason(s) being that due to covid restriction (:confused: ) they couldnt organise a bus for the team.
    Also, They felt they couldnt ask parents to travel all the way to Louth on a Weds evening, so they just gave the walkover.
    He also said they asked Louth if they could/would move the game to a more central venue - Louth refused.

My point of view :
    A) i have seen teams arriving to matches in buses ,only last sunday Treaty Fc played Waterford fc u19 in WIT arena.
    there was also a Cork camogie (minor?) team playing at the same venue that also travelled by bus!
    So i think this reason is false ?

B) Why wouldnt they put out a question.
    "Would you travel with your child to Louth to allow the game to go ahead" - Im sure they would have gotten enough people to go!

C) In fairness, why should Louth move the game.

All in all its seems a bit lazy to just award a walkover without asking the parents to travel.
    Its seems to be getting fairly typical now for some people not to bother to try keep girls interested in sports.
    This may seem trivial to anyone not affected, but to those girls its fairly disheartening...

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

What has any of the above got to do with the GAA?

That said I do agree with all the points you have made and it smacks of an instance where there was never any intention of full filling the fixture.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Pogue eile wrote: »
    What has any of the above got to do with the GAA?

That said I do agree with all the points you have made and it smacks of an instance where there was never any intention of full filling the fixture.

Sorry typed in anger ! :rolleyes: :eek:

yes, its a weak argument :mad:
    I doubt the same would happen with a boys either ! .....

* Could a Mod amend the heading to 'Sport' instead of Gaa ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

greenspurs wrote: »

I have to admit I don't have any first hand experience of dealing with the LGFA but they do seem to be a very poorly run outfit, the clash with the Camogie association last year being another example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭crossman47

I think this might smack more of Kks attitude to football. I could easily see it happening to boys there also, but not to hurlers.

Its very very casually run ..... well in Kilkenny anyway.

There seems to be just a lot of ticking boxes, and 'half ar$ing' things.....
    I dont understand it to be honest, its very frustrating for parents, and immensely disheartening for the girls involved.....

A different under squad of 30 (!?!?!) were all required to pay 90 for "County" gear for an upcoming championship, they were told they would enter 2 teams, but not its emerging the 'bainisteoir' has decided to just field 1 team .......

Lip service, and half ar$ing ... its very prevalent.
    Im not surprised so many girls walk away from sports .......

• Advertisement

crossman47 wrote: »
    I think this might smack more of Kks attitude to football. I could easily see it happening to boys there also, but not to hurlers.

Very true.
    My own club just run a few GF sessions for the boys at the start of the season - box ticked.
    Nothing then until u15 or 16 ..... :rolleyes:
    Whereas , the girls are playing from U10 now, and have a lot of girls playing !

I was actually at another club ground during the week, and they had a split session - Boys Hurling first then Gf.
    Coach after it - "Did yee enjoy that, me might play more the next night if yee train better when we are hurling" .... :D

The pity about the girls playing gf is that there is some serious talent in the county, and theres now a adult GF ladies team back in Kilkenny being restablished.
    Theres massive interest playerwise, but maybe not so much from committees

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Should be changed to LGFA.
    They seem completely incompetent even thinking back to that football semi final last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,092 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Definitely not a lazy attitude to girls in Mayo anyway. My girl is training twice a week (1 hour and 1.5 hour session) and now the matches are starting to come thick and fast. She's U8.

I didn't train as much playing senior.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭dobman88

We've seen many posts on this forum that pretty much say the same thing: the biggest threat to tge ladies game is the LGFA itself. A complete and utter shambles nationally and sounds like it's even worse locally for you.

Unfortunately, with all these things, the GAA takes the brunt of the criticism despite not having a single thing to do with the LGFA. I understand your anger and frustration but it is directed at the wrong organisation in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

crossman47 wrote: »

This.

History would illustrate that here is no heed on football in Kilkenny at all. I'd be of the opinion that the kilkenny boards should have central funding held back unless that promote the big ball game, in the same way as the likes of cavan were hit in the past for ignoring hurling.

The issue is less with girls V boys, than hurling v football, and these girls are getting fvcked around as a result, but if course a thread title saying the GAA has a lazy attitude towards girls catches more attention than a title about a non GAA organisation being ignored in a one sport county.

• Advertisement

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Should be changed to LGFA.
    dobman88 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, with all these things, the GAA takes the brunt of the criticism despite not having a single thing to do with the LGFA. I understand your anger and frustration but it is directed at the wrong organisation in this case.
    but if course a thread title saying the GAA has a lazy attitude towards girls catches more attention than a title about a non GAA organisation being ignored in a one sport county.

Jaysus alright ...
    I have asked mods to amend the title..... :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Thread title changed.

Poor reasoning for not travelling in fairness. Possibly a kk issue towards football in general as I don't think this has happened elsewhere but maybe it has.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

The bus excuse sounds like BS really.

Though expecting teams to travel the length of the province on a wednesday evening seems like poor planning to begin with.

I don't really see how it can be spun as a wider GAA/society wide thing when the people responsible are Kilkenny LGFA. Ladies Gaelic Football is the only sport they oversee so how can they be biased against the very activity they exist to organise? Sounds like they're just more incompetent than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭C__MC

Lgfa themselves are a shambles, no development squads this year will turn girls away from the sport

The bus excuse sounds like BS really.

Though expecting teams to travel the length of the province on a wednesday evening seems like poor planning to begin with.

I don't really see how it can be spun as a wider GAA/society wide thing when the people responsible are Kilkenny LGFA. Ladies Gaelic Football is the only sport they oversee so how can they be biased against the very activity they exist to organise? Sounds like they're just more incompetent than anything.

Yes, its the fact that the banisteoir used the bus as a reason is what annoyed me.

Biased ? who mentioned bias? I said Lazy Attitude, and i agree with your incompetent.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Thread title changed.

Poor reasoning for not travelling in fairness. Possibly a kk issue towards football in general as I don't think this has happened elsewhere but maybe it has.

I am between minds whether to contact the Kilkenny LGFA Secretary and Development officer and ask them is this acceptable by management and the way forward to promote and develop GF for girls/ladies in Kilkenny !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I certainly would look for an explanation. Might stop it happening again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭Hoboo

I am between minds whether to contact the Kilkenny LGFA Secretary and Development officer and ask them is this acceptable by management and the way forward to promote and develop GF for girls/ladies in Kilkenny !

That would have been my immediate reply to the original text from management, in a phone call.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

In my limited experience of Kilkenny LGFA it certainly is not a positive experience. I'm not going to name clubs or go into details on here but suffice to say those making decisions appear to be doing so in a short sighted and self serving manner and it's clear to all that there is an issue when two clubs each have about 3 times the number of players of the best of the rest.
    The other clubs are struggling to keep girls interested when they keep getting hammerings off these two clubs and the county board appear powerless to do anything to help them.
    Whatever about the county team and the issues there, the club scene in the county appears even more disfunctional as far as I can see - at least in Roinn A.

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    In my limited experience of Kilkenny LGFA it certainly is not a positive experience. I'm not going to name clubs or go into details on here but suffice to say those making decisions appear to be doing so in a short sighted and self serving manner and it's clear to all that there is an issue when two clubs each have about 3 times the number of players of the best of the rest.
    The other clubs are struggling to keep girls interested when they keep getting hammerings off these two clubs and the county board appear powerless to do anything to help them.
    Whatever about the county team and the issues there, the club scene in the county appears even more disfunctional as far as I can see - at least in Roinn A.

Exactly.
    And the coaches of these clubs always seem to get the management 'jobs' for the county underage teams?
    And then play their own club girls before any other clubs girls get a look in.

We had the pleasure of hammering one of those Clubs in a county final recently , that may sound petty, but if you know the 'club' and the carry on, youd understand why every other club wants to beat them !

• Advertisement

And then while entering the game last night , hand over your fiver, and handed a 'programme'

With the team named on it !!

Not nice for players to find out 45mins before the game that they are a sub when a stranger hands over a sheet of paper !

Bloody stupid carry on!

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

Not in any way is it trivial IMO.

For all the complaints about hurling, huge scorelines, 100+ meter points, and more I want to scream, go watch some camogie! Either people are just too biased or haven't seen camogie in a decade or more.

Actually had some clown telling me that a camogie player is not capable of providing analysis on a hurling match. He's still sticking with his completely backwards statement.

I know we're both camogie, & women's/girls sports fans but I think many are judging the game by turn on the century or older standards. To each their own but give it a shot if it's been a while. Rule changes have really had a very positive impact too. 🤙🏽

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

There is a series on the RTE player related to the OP's question.

Titled ''Why Girls Quit Sport' presented by Anna Geary. She is trying to encourage girls from a school in Ringsend to play sport. Also discussed are the reasons why girls drop away from sport.

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2021/0714/1234778-anna-geary-asks-was-i-part-of-the-problem-in-new-doc/

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Fair play to Anna Geary for highlighting the situation.

The figures are frightening and shows how "2nd class" the girls are.

I heard her talking on a local radio station talking about the show, and she spoke about girls been treated poorly with fixtures and by the Gaa clubs (of course the Gaa clubs 'accomodate/facilitate/tolerate ladies GF and Camogie) where the boys/men get the good pitches, and i completely agree.

Of course , i understand if the LGFA and Camogie Association would agree/work to joining into the GAA, that would/should improve ...

In Kilkenny, Dicksboro Gaa and Dicksboro Camogie club have amalgamated recently , which i think will hugely benefit the girls up there, and it is a step that the two Clubs should be congratulated on!

And the same for the Leinster Finals last night....

The teams were on the Leinster lgfa website before anyone got to the ground !!!....

Fupping ridiculous ......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Whoever fixed that game needs a kick in the blox. Its a minimum 2 hour drive from KK to Darver center of excellence. That type of juvenile fixture is exactly why people walk away, not just players but parents.

The only way for this to change is for parents to speak up. Go on local radio, local papers and voice your concerns.

In my experience the LGFA and Camogie association are both a shambles. They are driving girls away from sport. Until clubs kick up locally it wont change. Smaller clubs who are as important as any big club need to put their own people forward to be involved on committees and as selectors. You need to be organized for next meeting of your local board.

If LGFA and Camogie association are brought into the GAA it should be needs to be ran by new people not here to fore involved.

Its never ending.

U15 Camogie feile on Sunday.

U16 Gf Tues + Thur

U16 Camogie on Wed

u15 GF Feile on Sunday...

Its fcuking bonkers....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

I totally agree that the only way to start to bring about change is for parents to speak up but how many would if it potentially would affect their daughter playing games in some form or another.

Yes only until clubs kick up locally may things change but you may have to go to media and the local radio and papers first as that will really bring the attention to this issue that both associations may not like.

Just on this .

I emailed the leinster GF secretary about the programmes about it.

The games Development officer replied :

"I have no idea what county you are from but your email and point we do not accept!!

The only person at fault here is the county manager!!

Rules have always been that team news is released three days before games, and the MANAGER should have done their job and named the team like all other counties do and have been doing for the past many many years.

I am sorry your daughter found out that way but you take that up with your own county manager who let their players down massively!

As per your email and keeping girls interested, we are operating at county level here and management teams name their teams at least 3-4 days before the game and send us there team list, they should have told the players ( there is no naming teams on the day of games at this level), please contact the county manager and or the county secretary and take it up with them to protect players from that embarrassing decision by the management team.

It is poor decisions like that why our players leave the sport. "

Its the managers fault - But as Lost Ormond said, if you speak out Are you risking alienating your child?

I dont understand how management teams cant do the right thing, if they are taken the responsibilty of coaching/training/managing teenagers in competitive teams.

Sort of an "a shur lookit/Twill be grand" approach to girls in sport ... Half ar$ed.

• Advertisement

I f anyone wants to listen to WLRfm between 10 +12 today, they are supposed to be discussing the fixture chaos of camogie and GF .

It will be available on their podcast to listen back to at a later time also.

Advertisement