Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Finish wired home network in New build

Options
  • 15-07-2021 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Recently moved into a new build house. The house is prewired for internet in all rooms and has data points in all rooms,.The cables terminate in the utility room with no ends or switch. What would be the cost to set up the wired network properly?

Any recommendations of anyone to do this in Dublin 3 or nearby?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Hi Newbie,

You could easily do it yourself. You just need a network crimpers, a couple of connectors, a tester and a switch. You could probably do the whole thing for €200 or so. I'll send you some links if you want to go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,669 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

if you have the space the ideal scenario is terminate to a patch panel and put in a small comms cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 newbie_diy

Cheers for the replies guys. You have more faith in my skills than I have. I could give it a go but worry I would screw it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Honestly, it's not that hard. The tool does the job for you.

This is the main tool you need to crimp the wires. LINK

I'm sure you could get someone to do for you too but it is easy enough. If you do get someone to do it for you, make sure they have a good network testing tool - it would just give me more confidence if they had a proper cable tester and I was paying for it.

Advertisement