Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What is happening with Toyota reliability

• 18-07-2021 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

A few months back I bought a 2007 yaris 1.3 with 70,000 miles I started having a issue with 2nd gear beening notchy. Changed the gearbox oil thought it might help.

It seems it's a issue with these.

Then I bought a 2010 corrolla 1.4 after a few days I noticed the odd time 2nd gear was like it was getting stuck when u wanted to go from 2nd to 3rd gear.

I look online it seems to be a problem with them and the aruis also gearbox trouble.

I remember having Toyotas years ago never had a bother you would imagin going forward they would be only getting better.

Anything like this ever happen to u. I went away and bought a honda after that.

I like Toyotas but after the gearbox issues and what I read I am half afraid to buy one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,430 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

All cars have known issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

One car is 14 years old and the other is 11 years old and you are complaining about reliability?

For all you know with the age of those cars they could have done 2-3 times the mileage on the clock, it is not impossible to clock yet. You could buy the Honda and the engine could fall out of that.

Not sure you can say Toyota isn't reliable anymore based on your experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Davycs

What I am saying hear Dudley is when I ran into gearbox issues myself with the cars. I started researching online for info and there was alot having the same issues engines are bullet proof but there was a lot having gearbox issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

Sorry it says you bought the car at 70k miles and starting having issues. As I said it could have 170k miles on it and you wouldnt know.

With age and mileage every car in the World will have issues. It doesn't matter what brand they are things will go, with Fords it was the fly wheel. I think Audi have similar issues on some of them etc etc.

Saying a Toyota isn't reliable because a 14 year old car with unknown mileage has a dodgy gearbox is not really true. Fix the gearbox and the car could run for another 14 years? the fact it is still on the road after 14 years is a good start, how many Dacia etc are running after 14 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭passatman86

My shape toyota avensis t27 2010 has a few common faults, one of the worst is the electric handbrake that costs around €1k to fix last i heard.

So far the faults i fixed was injectors x4... Battery + alternator... Drivers window

Every car brand has common car faults, the accords had cracked manifolds.. Insignias had the oil pick up seal..

Anyway cars get known for their common faults - its not only a Toyota thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Despite their reputation for reliability, the gearbox bearings have long been a weak spot in Toyotas. Our 2005 T25 Avensis spun its gearbox bearings 11 years ago with 114,000 miles on the clock, although the second hand replacement gearbox has done over 120,000 miles in our ownership (plus whatever it did before it went into our car), and still works perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Davycs

Nice

Advertisement