Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you identify the club

Options
  • 19-07-2021 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭

This medal belonged to my Great Grandfather he had some senior medals that were stolen, this is the only one I have, it's a minor medal. I believe his name was Jack Cullen but I could be wrong.

I can't make out the club name. any clues?

(Sorry Boards keeps rotating the last image)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭ATR72

Can't figure it out. Howth is the closest I can find. Might be worth contacting someone at Dublin GAA and see if they can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Looks like "Benburbs" to me. A brief google brings up a Benburbs club of Clonskeagh which merged with Kilmacud Crokes in the 1970s.

Would that fit in with your Great Grandfather's life details?

I'm also somewhat curious about how they won a minor league in 1905. I've never heard of Minor competitions or Leagues before the 1920s.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Tried looking up the Irish newspaper archives and from best I can work out though its not that clear a team called the Keating's but thats nothing like the inscription so sorry no joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I thought so too but the last word in nonsense and doesn't fit with benburbs its more line benbullbr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

It's Gaelic script, not the English alphabet we're used to. Look at the r in Minor, it's the same character as before the 3rd b in Benburbs. Similarly, look at the s in Championship, it's identical to the last letter in the club name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

There is a genealogy forum (sub forum of history) with a handwriting decipher thread that you could post to, they might be better suited to work it out than here.

There used to be a "Benburb Eoghan Ruadh" GAA club in Tyrone, according to wikipedia. Would that fit?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

In the Irish Independent of February 4th 1905, there is a listing of an 'intermediate grade' fixture between Lucan Sarsfields and Benburbs. The match was played in Rathfarnham.

Thanks that makes sense, is the paper online any link?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's on the Irish Newspaper Archive site. It's a subscription site, though it is free to access in libraries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

The names of clubs changed quite a bit back then. Lots of Erin go Breath, Erins Isle, Erins Hope Stars of Erin who still exist out in Glencullen. Dublin had a lot of clubs also associated with various trades. Commercials, Kickhams, Guinness. Brian Boru, etc.

Might be worth contacting Stars of Erin in Glencullen or Beann Eadair in Howth. Also O'Tooles have a great history with families going back to their foundation.

Advertisement