Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transporting 2 x kayaks

• 19-07-2021 9:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭

Guys,

quick question if you don’t mind .. looking at purchasing 2 x 9.6 foot kayaks..

concered about transporting them .. we have a VW Tiguan .. would we be able to fit the two on top and strap safely?

happy to purchase roof rack, u shaped racks and strapping ..

any idea / opinions greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭athlone573

Well I'm not trying to be smart here

But presumably if you're buying kayaks you have been out on trips with a club and have seen what people usually do as in use of roof racks trailers etc and can get some tips on brands of roof rack that are good etc.

Watch out for barriers at car parks as it's easy to forget your car is taller after a long day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

You'll have no bother transporting them with a tiguan despite the awkwardness of actually getting them up on a taller car. There's currently a mini countryman parked across my estate with 2 kayaks on the roof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Yip been out on a few days trips not with clubs with companies etc but don’t actually know people .. and all the equipment was on shore..

We’ve been researching for 6 months or so .. was looking at Thule roof racks and staking equipment.. but im just cautious that’s all..

it’s a fairly hefty investment so just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas in terms of best equipment that’s all ..

don’t want to find out after the money if spent if that makes sense.

Thanks a million for your reply justjoe..

yeah I thought as much just the equipment I was wondering about .. done lots of research on the Thule stuff .. will google a bit more so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ratracer

If they are the same type of boat, they will probably stack on top of each other on a roof rack and can be strapped down. How wide are they? Sit on top boats can be almost 1m wide, so side by side is tricky, unless on their sides. Thule seem to have good racks

When I bought mine last year, I bought a trailer though, but I have plenty of other use for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭athlone573

Thule are a good brand I know from biking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

Thule stuff is top quality, and actually make my BMW branded roof rack. Expensive yes, but well worth the money and hold their value well. The one key system is fantastic too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

see if the person you are buying them can help you put them on your roof. I bought two recently that are the same length are yours and the person I bought from was very knowledgeable and helpful in getting them safely mounted on my roof and secured properly. He had some good tips and advice on how to properly route the straps and if the kayaks are the same type they might naturally fit on top of one another which you typically face downwards. I had normal and rachet straps but he recommended only using the normal ones as the rachets can squash your kayak if you tighten too much. I drove about 100km and they made a lot of noise but I got them safely home. There are also plenty of youtube's showing you how to mount safely if you go a bit of googling.

Thanks so much for all your replies ..

we’re getting 2 x skipjack refecltion kayaks (so we can fit our springer on the front) .. so both the same style / type..

https://lakelandkayaks.ie/products/the-skipjak-reflection-9ft-6-luxury-sit-on-top-kayak

apparently the Thule kayak stacker is great and the matching roof bars - so getting these tomorrow!

might also look at the Thule lockable straps too!

now I just have to convince the dog to get on it now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭passatman86

Dont do this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭zg3409

Make sure you tie the kayak at the front and rear too, or go through a strap or something on the kayak. If you only strap over there is a risk they will slide forward under sudden breaking and pop forward and onto the road in front of you. Front and rear ties prevent this. Don't ask how I know...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I have Thule bike racks one is thirty years old still works, just upgraded foot pads between cars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Sure they're a baby kayak. Could for more than that on a tiguan

Advertisement