Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Des O'Malley RIP

• 23-07-2021 8:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭

I'm not a Limerick man but check the forum regularly as I had many dealing with the city and it's people in the past.

Must say that I'm utterly disappointed and surprised that nobody has taken time to mention and pay respect to Dessie who represented you in Dail Eireann for over 30 years.

Just another sign of the times that we now live it I reckon.

RIP DES.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,000 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

It is actually dissapointing very little condolences posted. I never met the man but he certainly was quite remarkable in terms of what he achieved politically, he alway struck me has a decent and honorable man. I'm old enough to remember the Turmoil in FF and the forming of the PD"s.

I see the president attended his funeral today and whilst I understand limited numbers due to covid, there appeared to be very little political representation.

Mary Harney told an interesting story during the week, she mentioned that despite his fraility, Des O Malley insisted on casting a vote at the recent By Election in Dublin, a many who clearly cherished Democracy and indeed his Vote.

RIP Mr O Malley

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Des O'Malley (may he rest in peace) left public life in the mid 1990's though so presumably most people on here barely remember his era in Limerick. I'm old enough to remember him and sadly he was a man out of his time. He was more concerned with what was best for Ireland than what was best for himself and his own career, at least, that is my abiding impression of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭LMK

He was an impressive politician RIP Dessie, I also remember Jim Kemmy & Frank Prendergast in the same way, I was impressed with how they all articulated their point of view irrespective of my opinion on the topic and thought they were good ambassadors for Limerick

The most surprising thing about his funeral today was the revelation he turned into a prankster in his later years. He apparently rang up Sherry Fitzgerald in Limerick looking buy to (or was it sell?) Thomond park for a housing development. Apparently it went on for an hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭Economics101

ormOnd: there is a thread for the past few days on Des O'Malley, with many fulsome and well-deserved tributes. It is listed under Current Affairs: Desmond O'Malley was of national, not just Limerick, importance!

• Advertisement
Advertisement