Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issues of getting a Broadband FTTH fault repaired promptly

Options
  • 03-02-2022 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭

I have an FTTH broadband connection currently through Digiweb on the OpenEir rural fibre platform for the last 4years. My connection failed last Monday when there were work men cutting tree branches over the overhead telephone and fibre lines. I reported the fault to digiweb on Tuesday morning and as of Thursday night no one came to repair the connection. I am supposed to allow 5 working days for the connection to be repaired which would be reasonable after a major bad weather event. Why can’t they be more prompt in getting the connection repaired on the same or next day. Our connections should be treated like electricity when faults are promptly repaired and service restored in an hour or two.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The SLA your ISP is paying OpenEir for is 5 business days. Something like 90 odd percent of faults meet that target (you can see that in Comreg data).

In the past you could have 4hr SLA in some areas, 8hrs and 24hrs everywhere else. But it'll cost more for the ISP so it'll cost you a lot more. Comparing ESB to telcos isnt really fair, "The average basic wage of an ESB employee is €62,000, reaching €72,000 with overtime and expenses." - KNN techs would be lucky to make 40k. Do you want to pay 100€/mo?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Are all ISPs on a similar arrangement with OpenEir ? I am paying €55 a month to Digiweb for my connection. Vodafone are €35/month for 500mbits and €45 for 1gbs with €5/month extra for 4G mobile backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 MrSeanWick

Im pretty sure they all use the Eir network except Virgin Media who have their own lines but you can't get that everywhere yet. My Internet went yesterday and a lad from Eir arrived today to fix it which I thought was quick. The proplem is he fecked off and never came back. Some of his equipment his still here 🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Got my connection repaired. The section of the drop line that ran under the trees had to be replaced.

Advertisement