Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to keep my 087 number while living abroad. Which network should I port to?

Options
  • 07-09-2022 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi folks,

I've had my 087 number longer than I've had this boards.ie account! I now live abroad, and want to keep my 087 number so that I can use it when I travel back home for holidays (all my friends and family have that 087 number, I don't want to get a new one every time I travel).

For a while now my number has been on Three, but I've just logged into My3 for the first time in a year and see that all my credit is gone (had €100+ in there). I toped up, and I now see that Three prepaid credit expires after 180 days. Lame!

What's the best phone network for an ex-pat to use these days, and what are the restrictions? Ideally I'd only need to make one call every 12 months to keep the phone active, and credit wouldn't expire, is this possible?

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Vodafone credit doesn't expire like Threes does. Just pop 5e on it every 6 months to keep it active. If you don't top it up it'll be deactivated after 8 months. There's been a few posts asking similar to you recently and it's unclear now if any last 12 months anymore without top up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,501 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I recall tesco is longer again, you don't even need to top up, just ring the number every few months

Advertisement