Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

should boards drop customisations?

Options
  • 10-07-2024 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭

the site is getting worse, its arguably worse now than after the initial move. pages with no posts, posts not showing up, not taking you to last unread, random characters inserted when typing, etc.

so should boards just forget all the customisations and go with standard vanilla -think digital spy forums use it - and get back to being a functioning site without new bugs every time you use it

should boards drop customisations?

This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,871 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

no

If no customisations means the version of the site we had for a few weeks after the migration the no. Could not use that site at all.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,412 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

no

Nope 😨.

It was the only time I almost completely gave up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,811 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

no

A more vanilla Vanilla is not the answer.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Inviere

no

Boards/Vanilla without customisations just isn't a website I'd spend time on, it's abysmal.

Its between a rock and hard place now though, leave it customised and have it endlessly broken...or roll it back to standard and lose whatever half decent functionality is left in the place...

Its almost as if Vanilla is a bargain bucket platform. There's plenty of community run sites (like Boards used to be) still around on the net that manage to tip along and make this place look like a Geocities site...mad to think really.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,740 ✭✭✭✭banie01

no

A vanilla vanilla isn't a site I'd frequent tbh.

While I can appreciate that the old platform was creaking and starting to break? I feel that better options were available. Something like Xenoforo or flarum.

That said so much of what I use nowadays is via discord or Reddit itself that even boards.ie is becoming more and more redundant to me 😞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭batistuta9

yes

anyone know is digital spy forums definitely run with vanilla or any other sites to check out.

i don't really remember what it was like after the changeover but don't remember finding it difficult to use or being that bad . couldn't be as bad as this crap now.

majority of sites/apps you'd be on all take a bit of time to get used to & have their quirks/annoyances but you'll put up with it for the content. discord & Reddit mentioned above prime examples.

just now going to the home page lands you in the middle of the trending discussions at the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,098 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

yes

They also need to dump all the old obsolete threads. Or at least park them them in a read only archived site. Then start over.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement