Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Post a picture of your car here, part 3 (Quote A Photo, GET A 24 HOUR BAN!!!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Heh, No worries, I just one of those people who observer cars as they drive by me, Constantly. Just happend to see Bmoferrell twice now, His car really does look nice :)

Hj

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

bmoferrall wrote:
    Actually, the hidden rear door handles of the 156 were dropped from the 159 because of negative feedback in customer clinics :(

Noooooooohhhh :mad:

That was the design feature of the decade imho. Such a shame to let it go...
    junkyard wrote:
    I can remember driving a souped up VW Passat 130 red eye with a remapped ecu etc., I drove in England about four years ago and the thing was a rocket, 0-60 in about 6 seconds flat

Give or take 3 seconds :p
    Alfa 159 2.4 JTD - 200bhp, about twice the torque of the GTi, similar price. Oh, and the Alfa has been styled, as opposed to tabled at a customer clinic and not objected to.

My best mate has a 156 2.4 JTD, remapped to 200bhp. Torque is higher than in my V8 petrol BMW

Here's why he changed from his 1.8 petrol 156. We were going up the ramp onto a motorway and a Passat TDI pulled away from him even though he was accelerating at full speed through the gears. He was gutted and bought the diesel so no Passat could ever do that to him again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Yea, that TDI really have amazing torque, Even my Dad's 1.9 TDi Passat 100BHP can fairly shift if you want it to. Although the 130 BHP Has a fair bit more torque, But You cant call the 100 BHp model slow, It sure ain't.

Hj

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Attachment not found.
    My old baby:D , bad pic sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I thought it was a REAL caddy.:) And no Unkel it really was that fast your man that had it only expected the engine to last a short time because it was out to the last. I'll get his details if you want them, I have them somewhere, honest. He probably has knocked another couple of seconds off by now anyway.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭turbo

heres my baby, i'll have it 2 years in Jan and i still love it

52157.jpg

52153.jpg

59213.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

turbo wrote:
    heres my baby, i'll have it 2 years in Jan and i still love it]
    WOW .....looks like an absolute beaut!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 CorporalCarrot

heres mine

boards.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bmoferrall

heres mine

boards.jpg

love0029.gif
    Always thought the E46 M3 was the perfect package, especially in this colour.
    Is it completely standard Corporal? Is there any aspect of it that you don't like? Is it as good as they say? Any reliability issues? What's the fuel economy like?
    (Sorry for all the questions :o )

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

@ CorporalCarrot: Fúcking gorgeous. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

sweeeet cars, M3 - Mini...

I prefer the V8 engine in the M5 to the straight 6 in the M3, the V8 sounds incredible especially if you accelerate in 4th or 5th or in a tunnel with the window down......:D :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

junkyard wrote:
    I prefer the V8 engine in the M5 to the straight 6 in the M3, the V8 sounds incredible especially if you accelerate in 4th or 5th or in a tunnel with the window down......:D :D:D:D

hmm, €136K + for an E60 M5 along with a stupid wait, or €45K upwards for an early E46 M3 - silly comparison I know, but I know which one I'd be going for :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

The Golf GTI looks ok, but sure what do you need all that extra speed and alloys for?

/me gazes out the window at my 1.4 basic version golf Mk5 with crappy hubcaps, and starts to cry :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

ciarsd wrote:
    hmm, €136K + for an E60 M5 along with a stupid wait, or €45K upwards for an early E46 M3 - silly comparison I know, but I know which one I'd be going for :D

Ah yes, but it was the e39 M5 that had the V8. The new e60 model has a V10!

qz wrote:
    Ah yes, but it was the e39 M5 that had the V8. The new e60 model has a V10!

ah yes, apologies and thanks for putting me right - i blame lack of sightings of E60s for my mix up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

heres mine

boards.jpg
    Nice, very nice :D. Great choice in colour and interior.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,030 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

cyrusir-22122005030.jpg

my gti :)

junkyard wrote:

The new M3 in 2007 will have a V8 engine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 CorporalCarrot

bmoferrall wrote:
    love0029.gif
    Always thought the E46 M3 was the perfect package, especially in this colour.
    Is it completely standard Corporal? Is there any aspect of it that you don't like? Is it as good as they say? Any reliability issues? What's the fuel economy like?
    (Sorry for all the questions :o )

The car is pretty standard but its everything I need;

Carbon Black Metallic
    Kiwi Leather
    Electric Seats
    Titanium Trim
    19" alloys
    xenons
    cd
    harmon kardon/cd (which I dont use I have a 60gb ipod connected)

Is it as good as they say??

I have to say yes it is. It truly is an everyday supercar and here in ireland at least puts you in the top 1% of cars in terms of performance. The official 0-60 of 5.2 I can verify is conservative. I would go with Evo magazines 4.8. The handling and grip is phenomenal and it feels completely different to my old E46 coupe.

I can honestly say that even now I am used to it, I still get a thrill every time I press the loud pedal. I know some people don't like the sound of them but I think its fantastic; the harsh metallic growl is fab and I love every time I take it to 8k rpm. You can achieve that tunnel effect too :) Only problem is do that in 1st, second and 3rd and youre at 110 mph :) But at the same time its happy to potter around town, takes all the shopping, 2 sets of golf clubs and trolleys. It really ticks all the boxes if you want a good looking performance car, but need it for an everyday driver.

In terms of downsides, I know the magazines say that the steering lacks feel, but I think its an unfair criticism. To me its a bit like saying I wouldnt sh4g Cindy Crawford because of her mole. Ok it may lack porsches fluidity but its direct, confidence inspiring and weights up nicely in the corners.

Biggest downside for me so far is other road users. I can honestly say that for some reason, other drivers (and I hate to sterotype it, but yes boy racers) seem to take the sight of the car as a personal challenge to prove that "its not all its cracked up to be, I can beat it in my whatever". Most of the time I just let them have their moment of glory. Being fastest on public roads is generally not about the cars; its about who is prepared to take the most risks with their own, and other road users lives.

No reliability issues thus far, its typical BM build quality.

As far as fuel consumption goes, the OBC shows I have achieved 18.5mpg since I got it but I think thats optimistic. In traffic I reckon low teens, and the absolute max I can get on a cruise in 6th gear is around 26 mpg. I do fairly low mileage (7-8k a year) but I still have to fill it up every 10 days or so.

Some more pics;
    IMG_0208a.jpg
    IMG_0209a.jpg
    IMG_0206a.jpg
    IMG_0207a.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

@CorporalCarrot

That's a seriously nice motor you have there. Gimme a shout when you're selling it!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Kersh

I agree with you about the whole 'boy racer challenge' - p1sses me right off. they are always at it, lovely motor btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Oh dear god that M3 is making me sick! Tis absolutely gorgeous....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Con_316

That is indeed an incredibly nice car. I unfortunately am stuck at moment with my E30 325i and Capri but theyre still fun :)
    I think we shoulld maybe start a Bmw appreciation forum, first thing to go in being thet lovely m3 above.

@CorporalCarrot

I was unfortunate enough to end up in a ditch in a two day old M3, when you turn that traction control off things can get nasty, it wasn't a pleasant experience at all

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bmoferrall

@CC, Thanks for the insight. An M3 is definitely on my long-term wish list.

@Junkyard, my preferance for the M3 would be mostly based on aesthetics I guess. It's a more muscular and athletic looking car, with better proportions. How often would you use the extra bit of legroom, and how often would you use the extra 60 horses that an M5 offers? 340bhp is surely more than enough for our increasingly congested roads. I don't doubt that the V8 sounds awesome.

An E46 M3 would be a very tempting proposition around the 25-30K mark.
    The new 3 series is pretty forgettable looking, so the M3 version might not be so desirable.

Your right bmoferrall, there really is no point in having a performance car on the roads in Ireland anymore, I'm trading my M5 for an X5 in January firstly because the roads are in such poor condition in Co. Cork, and secondly you have to look over your shoulder everywhere you go for fear of getting penalty points. But the Porsche is going to live in Spain, no problems on the roads there.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Con_316 wrote:
    I think we shoulld maybe start a Bmw appreciation forum
    You mean this isn't it?

bmoferrall wrote:
    An E46 M3 would be a very tempting proposition around the 25-30K mark.
    The new 3 series is pretty forgettable looking, so the M3 version might not be so desirable.

won't be much more of a wait b.

my friends 01 is roughly worth €46K, having bought it last year for €50K as a BMW approved used car - so I'd give it another 12-18 months before they are a little bit more reachable - especially with the imminent arrival of the new E90 M3

I would love to take it off his hands! :(
    M3.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

ciarsd wrote:
    I would love to take it off his hands! :(
    M3.jpg

yes tis a thing of beauty

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement