Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red wine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It's disgusting, have you ever tried it?

9 out of 10 spainush kids aged 14-18 can't be wrong ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭jake is right

Try the Merlot from Chile in Lidl. Cheap as chips, and in my opinion, very drinkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Medium rare steak with fried onions. Bottle of malbec. Heaven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Cervantes2

Pinot Noir is a light red.
    Beaujolais Nouveau is nice too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

Aldi do a nice Spanish red called Toro Loco, it's cheap but surprisingly drinkable considering the price.

If I wanted to quit my job, leave my wife and kids, live under a bridge and go full-alcho, it's probably the wine I'd choose, because I have fcuking standards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

Lidl have a lovely red called Barnica Gran Reserva. Fantastic stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

I was in the same boat as you once - wanted to start drinking red.
    Was at a work do about 20 years ago and someone ordered a bottle of this.
    https://www.obrienswine.ie/marques-de-riscal-reserva.html

Pricier - but remains my favourite to this day. But, for a treat only.

Now I just look for the Tempranillo grape/Rioja

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

Pinot noir is a good place to start with red.

Haven't had red wine in ages. Will have to remedy that.

Id have to agree with this. Pinot noir is yummy and not too sharp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Lou Scaunt

Try the Merlot from Chile in Lidl. Cheap as chips, and in my opinion, very drinkable.
    "I am NOT drinking any ****ing Merlot!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

BraveDonut wrote: »
    Now I just look for the Tempranillo grape/Rioja

Same as myself. Hasn't seen me wrong yet.

For white I always always buy a Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc and have never had a bad bottle at any price.

Might buy one of each on the way home....

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭cbreeze

Look at the ABV first, because the stronger wines - up to 14.5% can be heavy tasting for those whose palate is new to reds.

A lighter wine such as Beaujolais could be 12 to 12.5% and is easier drinking. The 'Nouveau' is on the shelves now, but in some supermarkets it is dearer at the moment than Beaujolais Villages which is a better quality wine. Some supermarkets still have last year's Nouveau on the shelves, avoid, the primeur wine is only designed to last until Christmas.

Wines made from Gamay, Grenache, Garnacha grapes - depending on the country - are light and go well with lamb and pork. But drink what you like with what you like. Also mentioned by a poster above, Pinot Noir is not overpowering. Merlot is an easy drinking wine too. Makers of Rose these days are trying to make them a little dryer, other than Mateus Rose, which is a nice starter wine for those completely new to wines. If you like sugary fizz, try the Italian Lambrusco.

Next proceed to Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Malbec, Syrah/Shiraz - these pack more of a punch.

However, don't do this all on the one night or you could be a bit ill the next day!

You could look out for wine tasting classes which will show you how to present and serve wines to get the best out of them

• Registered Users Posts: 4 tmcstagger

Some wine should only be used as a drain cleaner and some wine is wonderful. There is so much diversity to it you will have the arduous task of having to try quite a few to find what you in particular like.

Some grape varietals produce a much lighter flavour without that heavy tannic body, which judging by your question would be a good place to start.

You do get what you pay for and I rarely see a bottle under €12 that is anything worth mention. Going by price alone €15 is a pretty safe bet in terms of the wines quality, although this doesn't mean you'll necessarily like it. You should get a free app like vivino which will help you track what you love and hate as well as give you average pricing.

Try to ignore supermarket discounts as they grossly inflate prices for the sole reason of discounting. That said, if you do find a wine you like within these, supermarkets have a cycle where they work through discounting certain wines on regular rotation. Best bet is to go to a smaller wine shop, don't be intimidated, ask a few questions and tell them what kind of flavours you do enjoy. They are normally very happy to help.

There's an endless number of online guides which will give you an overview of terms, what to look for and help you appreciate what you have. It's one of life's pleasures, enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 tmcstagger

About 4 months ago, Supervalu were running a 2 for €20 on the Marquis de riscal. I had only gotten back from holidays in Spain and had actually paid more for it in the duty free. I've never seen it as cheap before hence I bought 3 cases. That same day Tesco had it at €23.95 a bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

montepulciano is a slutty little Italian variety to look out for if youre feeling a bit randy.

montepulciano is a slutty little Italian variety to look out for if youre feeling a bit randy.

Bleedin delish man.

It's quite rich though, might be a bit much for the OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

A saucy minx of a glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

One of my ideas of heaven is siting down by the fire on a cold evening with a blue cheese, some crackers and bottle of red wine nothing mad expensive a Cabernet sauvignon from chile.

It's funny how people have such different tastes in wines. I've never really tasted a French wine that I've enjoyed, any I've had has been either very watery and bland or just had a bitter and unpleasant taste. Then again, I've never actually had wine in France so maybe they just keep all the good stuff for themselves and export the plonk! :pac:

For me, a South African shiraz or pinotage is hard to beat. South Africans may have terrible accents but they make damn good wine!
    They've got a bit of a spiciness to them which I like, though may not be for everyone.

If you want a nice, easy-drinking wine then you could do worse than Ogio Primitivo, which is an Italian zinfandel. Housemate got a bottle of it the other night and it was lovely. Think Tesco have it on sale at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭bilbot79

What you need is a decent haut medoc. I think Chateau lamothe sissac might be one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Red red wine stay close to me ehhhehhh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

UB40.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Mr. FoggPatches

I like my wine to have an aroma of ochre, with a lingering hint of oak and daisies and to taste of a deep firesmoked chestnut with a cheeky infusion of granite and the aftertaste of sweat.
    Ideally lidl have a Chilean red fulfils these requirements for me - chateau de pretentious mile neuf cent de social climber.

(I've never drank red wine)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Full bodied for me please.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,443 ✭✭✭tritium

If you want sweet red it is possible to get red dessert wines and often relatively cheap since everyone seems to think they only make white dessert wine. I remember spotting some a few years back that was dated the year i was born, so i bought a few for special birthdays, delicious but i do like dessert wines. Do be aware theyre very sweet compared to most other wines.

Id agree with several posters that pinot noir is a lovely light red to get started on. Another quite different but very nice one if you can spot a decent bottle for a good price is chateauneuf de pape.

Red red wine stay close to me ehhhehhh.
    LordSutch wrote: »
    UB40.

You be Sutch?- LordSutch?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ROS123

I like on occasional glass of red, but invariably I end up throwing out a half or a third of a bottle on occasion because I don't finish it within a couple of days. While visiting a relative abroad, they were drinking from boxes of Red wine. They could pour a glass or three and the box was sealed, they could go back to it a day or two later and it still tasted good. I like the idea of this, a box handy on the worktop, pour a glass when you feel like it and leave it for a day or two and return again when the desire reappears.

I haven't seen many boxes (3l) for sale, any advice other than avoid boxes of wine..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Just one moment please..

Aongus Von Bismarck to reception please, Aongus Von Bismarck.

Bismark is a reisling chap,the op wants a non overpowering red as an into to red wine so any notes he made would fall on deaf ears.
    Personally, from the minute amount of the OPs taste id reccomend a mid strengh merlot from new Zealand.Nice way of tasting many wines without breaking the bank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Aldi do a passable Chateauneuf du Pape for €15.

A 'Cheeky little number', in the immortal words of Eddie Hitler.

Advertisement