Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

See Des Bishop was a guest on Late Late show, do they really need to scrap the bottom of the barrel so bad?. Tubridy and Bishop together like some sorta Smugness challenge between them.
    Why not pay for a proper guest, God know's they are collecting enough in TV license fees. Why this guy gets pushed so much by RTE is beyond me. Not funny one bit and his smugness walks into a room an hour before he does.

Seen Al Porter at a thing I got free ticket to, seems like a nice genuine lad but sorry being gay doesn't automatically make you funny. Wish someone would inform him an act needs to be worked on. The ould 'aren't a gas man altogether cos I'm gay' wears reallllllly thin.

Is it just me or does Des Bishop's hair look like a really dodgy hair transplant? I wasjust comparing old and new photos, and it looks seriously like he's done something. Started to notice it a few months back, but thought it might be just my imagination. But looking at it now-it's seriously entering Steven Seagal dodgy hair levels.

I guess being 40, with a 25 year old girlfriend will do that to a guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

See Des Bishop was a guest on Late Late show, do they really need to scrap the bottom of the barrel so bad?. Tubridy and Bishop together like some sorta Smugness challenge between them.
    Why not pay for a proper guest, God know's they are collecting enough in TV license fees. Why this guy gets pushed so much by RTE is beyond me. Not funny one bit and his smugness walks into a room an hour before he does.

Seen Al Porter at a thing I got free ticket to, seems like a nice genuine lad but sorry being gay doesn't automatically make you funny. Wish someone would inform him an act needs to be worked on. The ould 'aren't a gas man altogether cos I'm gay' wears reallllllly thin.

This is typical RTE and it is very offputting. I have nothing against Des Bishop or Al Porter per se but I can see your point. Des Bishop has been pushed for years. Surely someone else should get a chance?

The standard operating procedure is that certain people are handpicked and then pushed to the limit. In comedy it is the same set of people. In music as all RTE seem to acknowledge is poor modern country music and modern pop and nothing else. There are audiences for much much more and RTE censor others in favour of their handpicked comedians, singers, celebs, sportspeople, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Something I've noticed recently is the link to a production company, so rather than RTE going straight to an individual and say "right, we're making a show about [x], and we want to use you", they'll meet with a production company, who typically use the same people. RTE will rely on the production company to put the nuts and bolts together, and they'll have their pets.

It's probably like how Katherine Lynch keeps getting on air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I said it before, but keep seeing it on Facebook every day and it absolutely bamboozles me how Rories Stories gets so many views and likes. Are people actually that braindead in this country that they find that funny?

Good clean amateur fun.

Though he's shot his bolt now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

ligerdub wrote: »
    Something I've noticed recently is the link to a production company, so rather than RTE going straight to an individual and say "right, we're making a show about [x], and we want to use you", they'll meet with a production company, who typically use the same people. RTE will rely on the production company to put the nuts and bolts together, and they'll have their pets.

It's probably like how Katherine Lynch keeps getting on air.

This surely is the case. I always get the feeling that someone just has to pay enough to these companies and they then push them onto our screens. In other words a poor or even middle income person cannot make it. If Luke Kelly, Elvis or any other talent from a poor background were around today in Ireland, they would not be allowed to make it. Sad. Truly sad. Shame on RTE and Ireland's media/government for this elitist attitude towards talent. Poor in talent, rich in cash = TV spot. Poor in cash, rich in talent = no TV spot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Bambi wrote: »
    Good clean amateur fun.

Though he's shot his bolt now

Although he's Jerry Seinfeld compared to "Darren Conway".

"Ah but he's just a young lad having a laugh"

He's also terrible.

Although he's Jerry Seinfeld compared to "Darren Conway".

"Ah but he's just a young lad having a laugh"

He's also terrible.

Had to look that guy up-dear jeeze, he looks like a 'Dapper Laughs' kind of comedian-ie not funny, dumb, and cliched humour.

The worst thing is that there is so much 'oh hes young, he'll find himself'...well, maybe, but in Ireland, some of those comics peak early-and that is that.

Thing is there's no comedy. He just seems to turn on his camera and make noise with his mouth. That's not comedy to me. Dapper Laughs isn't close to being that bad. And I'm no fan of Dapper Laughs.

That Darren chap will find out that calling someone 'gay' isn't funny, and won't get him far in 2016.

Usually if someone is calling someone gay, they 'upgrade' (and no, I don't mean that in actual positive phrasing, just I usually can spot a trend) to using more offensive gay terms, aka the word that also means a bundle of sticks.

It's what many of them folks start doing in order to try and gain laughs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭house45

Has anyone mentioned "Brendan grace" yet ???,

• Advertisement

Usually if someone is calling someone gay, they 'upgrade' (and no, I don't mean that in actual positive phrasing, just I usually can spot a trend) to using more offensive gay terms, aka the word that also means a bundle of sticks.

It's what many of them folks start doing in order to try and gain laughs.

He's far too dumb to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

house45 wrote: »

If you say that again, I'll put your head through the wall!

There were three of them on the Late Late last night. Nice to see RTE supporting the younger breakout comedians. I'm sure if Maureen Potter was still around she'd have been on it too.

There were three of them on the Late Late last night. Nice to see RTE supporting the younger breakout comedians. I'm sure if Maureen Potter was still around she'd have been on it too.

I spotted Brendan Grace (who wasn't looking well-seems like he was coming off of a bad bug, like the one that's going around. You could hear it in his voice).

Maureen Potter was at least more entertaining than half of the people we've listed in this discussion. She was practically contemporary compared to the likes of Al Porter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Brendan Grace is from a different era of comedians. He's had lots of good moments. He is a Leonardo De Vinci of comedy when compared to the likes of Andrew Maxwell, Jason Byrne, Niel Delemere and all the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Brendan Grace is from a different era of comedians. He's had lots of good moments. He is a Leonardo De Vinci of comedy when compared to the likes of Andrew Maxwell, Jason Byrne, Niel Delemere and all the rest.

Brendan is still doing the same set from his 1988 Irish Tour.

He's like the Gilbert Gottfried of Irish comedy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Dylan Moran is the best Irish comedian out there. Rest are pure ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Dylan Moran is the best Irish comedian out there. Rest are pure ****e.

Would agree, Moran is excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭JimmyTClarke

darkdubh wrote: »
    Three words. Noel V Ginnity. Most of the people posting here are probably too young to remember him luckily. He was kidnapped and held to ransom by a Dublin criminal gang in the mid 90s. After he was freed he appeared on the Late Late with Gaybo where he subjected the nation to several of his stand up routines. If theres been an unfunnier so called "comedian" to emerge from Ireland then my names Donald Trump.

I've never heard of Noel V Ginnity. But from your post, the story surrounding him sounds so bizarre and random that it's funny in itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

Brendan O' Carroll is hugely over-rated and a mult-millionaire.People think it makes them seem intelligent if they say they like Darragh O' Briain. I've been to see Rosenstock and don't think he is as amazing as people make out. To watch PJ Gallagher being interviewed on a talk show is cringeworthy.Pat Shortt was good in The Unbelievables, Killinaskully was sh1t, he is hugely overrated.Shortt is well in with R.T.E., he will regularly appear on the Christmas R.T.E. guide.To watch Shortt being interviewed is painful, cue a lot of his own laughter at his own jokes.In general I'd agree with the consensus that Irish comedians are overrated, overpaid and severely lacking in talent.If you go to a gig of a well known Irish comedian the audience are pathetic,they will literally laugh their arses off at anything the comedian says/does. It's like they say to themselves I've paid €40 for this and I'm going to laugh for the next hour at the "comedian."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Brendan get a pass for his role as Father Fintan Stack.

Brendan get a pass for his role as Father Fintan Stack.

I laugh harder every time I hear the phrase 'ya dirty fecker'.

Every time that line gets funnier to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

So see Des Bishop and Blindboy on that God awful show of Des's where he tries in vain to be funny on topical issues, interestingly they both said thejournal comments section is the 'gutter'!. Me thinks their massive over inflated ego's of themselves must have been damaged by someone God forbid disagreeing with them. So the show is a topical opinionated show but when someone else has one they really don't like it!?!

This nonsense of these two clowns trying in vain to be intellectual and funny is awful. Neither are funny or intelligent, just non stop grandstanding of their own self indulgent opinions. Really insane how people WILLINGLY pay TV licenses for such muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Agreed completely, it's so rampant on RTE now too.

A post I made on another thread:

I see that Blindboy Boatface was on TV again tonight. He was giving a spiel on "post-truth" being the word of the year and what it means. To me it is the absolute peak of how low rent the sorts that were on the wrong side of the major votes this year are. It's described as a sense of "the facts don't matter", what a load of bollox! The extremely thinly veiled story here is that "we know the reality, the idiots voted on lies, we're better than you". It just couldn't be any other reason could it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

ligerdub wrote: »
    Agreed completely, it's so rampant on RTE now too.

A post I made on another thread:

I see that Blindboy Boatface was on TV again tonight. He was giving a spiel on "post-truth" being the word of the year and what it means. To me it is the absolute peak of how low rent the sorts that were on the wrong side of the major votes this year are. It's described as a sense of "the facts don't matter", what a load of bollox! The extremely thinly veiled story here is that "we know the reality, the idiots voted on lies, we're better than you". It just couldn't be any other reason could it.

Whatever happened to people simply being funny, good point. American comedian Greg Morton, very funny guy makes the mundane hilarious. Now in Ireland we have these self indulgent ignoramuses like Bishop trying to push his own opinions (and those of RTE, he is on RTE remember) as gospel. The sad thing is I see audiences whooping for this crap on these shows, have to remind myself they must(have!) be drunk as no way could a sober person find such meaningless rhetoric funny.
    Blindboy pushing the 'Aren't I a profound witty academic sthick hard'
    Sorry pal you ain't. Least you aren't as bad as Bishop but hey, cancerous tumours are funnier than that lad.

Don't get me wrong-I like funny people, I do-but when they start making themselves the 'height' of intelligence, you're in trouble. George Carlin could do that, but even he got it very wrong on occassion.
    Too many comedians do that-far too many. The insult thrown at the 'comments' section of the Journal-really? Really Des and BBBC? The commenters on that site (I know, I've left a few of my own) are often the one's who can see clearly through the total BS him and his ilk put out in the media(I speak of others, mind-I'm not as intelligent as some on there-seriously, no sarcasm intended). If someone has an opinion, that is well informed, then challenge that, look it up-if it's complete BS, grand, call em out-if it isn't, then let it stand. Debate is a good thing, too many soft skinned people can't even answer a question without being offended.
    As the great Steve Hughes would say (criminally underrated comedian-absolutely great) 'if you're offended-then fine, be offended'. But Des can't be offended-or he'll cry. He needs to be called out on his unfunny histrionics.

Tommy Tiernan even took a swing at him-saying that watcing Des on Dancing with the Stars will be like watching 'a friend going through a nervous breakdown' and that it was 'an awful day for IRish comedy'. I can't really disagree, but I think sometime long ago it was an awful day for Des-he stopped being funny.

Blindboy-oh dear. Like, he's the guy saying that in order to cure depression, 'men need to embrace feminism' with such delightful idiocy as the whole thing of 'if you have a problem with a woman paying for food, you've a problem-you need to let a woman take care of you'. Ummm, no, because that's what our mom's did. So trying to push an outdated ideology, which is what feminism has come to be, is not going to help mental health issues.
    Mental illness is a complex, and challenging, condition. Both for the sufferer and those treating the illness. You cannot just claim it can be cured or treated by a change of mindset. That's precisely the heart of the condition, as well as brain and chemical disorders. IT requires a whole host of treatments.
    Just stick to making jokes, and being comedic-don't try and push potentially dangerous opinions. And when discussing mental illness, that's what too many opinions are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Skommando wrote: »
    Might be a much shorter thread if we listed the funny ones, are there any ?

Dylan Moran - he is excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Jason Byrne: 20 odd years of talking about his childhood and all the crazy shenanigans his Da, Ma, and bro and sis got up to. You're heading for 50 ffs. Get some new material, and try make it borderline funny too.

Agricola wrote: »
    Jason Byrne: 20 odd years of talking about his childhood and all the crazy shenanigans his Da, Ma, and bro and sis got up to. You're heading for 50 ffs. Get some new material, and try make it borderline funny too.

Tommy Tiernan too-the same stuff about school and other crud. We have far too many 'man baby' so-called comedians.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

So see Des Bishop and Blindboy on that God awful show of Des's where he tries in vain to be funny on topical issues, interestingly they both said thejournal comments section is the 'gutter'!. Me thinks their massive over inflated ego's of themselves must have been damaged by someone God forbid disagreeing with them. So the show is a topical opinionated show but when someone else has one they really don't like it!?!

This nonsense of these two clowns trying in vain to be intellectual and funny is awful. Neither are funny or intelligent, just non stop grandstanding of their own self indulgent opinions. Really insane how people WILLINGLY pay TV licenses for such muck.

How long did you watch it before you realised you didn't want to watch it?

Advertisement