Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lamborghinis etc in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

spyderski wrote: »
    Ah, mine's only an '89. Few years to go yet.

I think Kev means in real world terms, rather than the arbitrary Irish 30 year rule. Some cars are instant classics from the day they are first produced. 635sci's were a rare sight in Ireland but not unheard of, I remember seeing a few back in the day. I wonder did any of the rarer M635sci's make there way here?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Much classier looking car than the modern equivalent. IIRC Spencer in the US detective series 'Spencer for Hire' drove one which probably helped its image.

Bruce Willis' 635 in Moonlighting did it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

I think Kev means in real world terms, rather than the arbitrary Irish 30 year rule. Some cars are instant classics from the day they are first produced. 635sci's were a rare sight in Ireland but not unheard of, I remember seeing a few back in the day. I wonder did any of the rarer M635sci's make there way here?

Yeah, understand, but I feel my particular one doesn't qualify quite yet.

There were a few 628's alright, not many 635's. The auld fella says when he went into the tax office to register it they told him it was the most expensive car regd in Wexford that year!

Dont think there were any new M635s regd here. Dad traded it for a 535i 'cos he had 2 kids, my uncle wrote that off 3 weeks later!

Think after that 535i it went as follows:

E23 735i
    E32 735i
    E32 740i
    E38 740i
    E38 740i

Then

E60 530i
    E65 730d
    F10 530d

• Advertisement

E65 730d
    F10 530d

NOOO!!!! :eek:

Accursed diesels.

NOOO!!!! :eek:

I know. He's 73 now and thinks anyone who buys a petrol car is an idiot. Trying to get him to buy a 540e next. No chance. Gave out to me a few years ago for "wasting money on cars"! I told him I didn't lick it off the stones!

He started off with a 1602, couple 2002's. Has had a BMW of some description since '69 or '70. Before there was a dealer in ROI anyway.

I know. He's 73 now and thinks anyone who buys a petrol car is an idiot. Trying to get him to buy a 540e next. No chance. Gave out to me a few years ago for "wasting money on cars"! I told him I didn't lick it off the stones!

He started off with a 1602, couple 2002's. Has had a BMW of some description since '69 or '70. Before there was a dealer in ROI anyway.

A fair riposte in this case. :D On the Seven series variants, for me you can't beat the brute elegance of the E32, classic shape that. Saw a few of the 735 and even the long wheel-based '735il' variant around back in the day.

He tells a great story of driving down somewhere in Tipperary with a business partner from Wales in the late 70's. The Boss had the 635, but yer man had a 3.0 csl (!!!!!) It overheated in Cahir or somewhere and had to be towed to Rosslare and back to Fishguard. That would be worth some dosh now!

I was looking at buying a more humble 3.0 CS myself circa 2004 or so, unfortunately couldn't justify the price. It was an Irish reg car, not sure if was Irish owned from new.

• Advertisement

He's definitely the longest consecutive BMW Owner in Ireland. Probably up there worldwide, but he has no interest whatsoever...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

I was looking at buying a more humble 3.0 CS myself circa 2004 or so, unfortunately couldn't justify the price. It was an Irish reg car, not sure if was Irish owned from new.

Wasn't silver by any chance? I remember about that time there was one parked in the sandyford industrial estate with a for sale sticker in the window, was reasonably priced too if I recall correctly. Did mull it over because I always liked the shape of those but ultimately I let it go.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I bought my 924 off that guy who owns that BMW in Sandyford. It was quite clean and in decent nick too.

It's one of those motors that we all could have rustled up the cash for but now have gone stratospheric and beyond most of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭wyf437gn6btzue

Remember seeing a Roll Royce Phantom VI around Dublin on a few occasions early 1990s.

There was also a Mercedes 600 which was at one point owned by Paddy Gallagher, I don't think it is in Ireland any more.

Chiming in late but I seen a pic of a Black Mercedes 600 Grosser Pullman, Can vaguely remember the plate as either "IIIFH" or "111FH", it was a black plate with white writing, Photo was taken by a lad I know in Dublin. I`m not mad into classics but surly this is very rare?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

kev1.3s wrote: »
    It's one of those motors that we all could have rustled up the cash for but now have gone stratospheric and beyond most of us.
    I looked at 3.0s as well many moons ago. It's frightening the way the prices have gone. You could have picked up a nice 308 GT4 for twenty grand back then, too.
    Much classier looking car than the modern equivalent. IIRC Spencer in the US detective series 'Spencer for Hire' drove one which probably helped its image.
    Cybil Shepard's, you mean! Loved that show and car.

Chiming in late but I seen a pic of a Black Mercedes 600 Grosser Pullman, Can vaguely remember the plate as either "IIIFH" or "111FH", it was a black plate with white writing, Photo was taken by a lad I know in Dublin. I`m not mad into classics but surly this is very rare?

Yes if you look back in recent pages in thread, apparently were three of them in Ireland at one point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭wyf437gn6btzue

Yes if you look back in recent pages in thread, apparently were three of them in Ireland at one point.

This was the pullman version, only 304 were built from what I`ve read. Photo was only taken mid last year too

Dades wrote: »
    I looked at 3.0s as well many moons ago. It's frightening the way the prices have gone. You could have picked up a nice 308 GT4 for twenty grand back then, too.

Cybil Shepard's, you mean! Loved that show and car.

Remember looking at one of those outside Naas And thinking it was possible to buy it, although it probably would have ended in divorce!
    Dino coupe is another.

Dino coupe is another.

Saw a nice yellow one of those on Baggot Street years ago. No photo unfortunately.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Dino coupe is another.
    Yes! Another absolute beauty of a coupe that was, for a time, almost affordable for us mortals.

A mate of mine wanted a classic 10 or so years ago and I tried to sway him towards a Dino or a 3.0. He ended up buying a P1800. A nice car, but not the investment the others would have made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Dades wrote: »
    Yes! Another absolute beauty of a coupe that was, for a time, almost affordable for us mortals.

A mate of mine wanted a classic 10 or so years ago and I tried to sway him towards a Dino or a 3.0. He ended up buying a P1800. A nice car, but not the investment the others would have made.

Nor the potential money pit it might have been either. I'd love a Fiat Dino Coupe, and fantasised that the purchase cost was do-able for a few years. Problem is that they're far from affordable to maintain, and probably more prone to the tin worm than the Volvo 1800 is. I've had an 1800ES for a good few years now, and they've appreciated over those years, if not to the extent that you'd get too excited about, but the greater appreciation of the Dino Coupes is dampened a bit by the greater ownership costs. I'd still give my right arm for a late model Dino Coupe 2400 with no rust, preferably with tan leather and gunmetal grey paint, oh, and the Italian villa to keep same in. Will just have to make do with the diecasts for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Kevin_Herron

The Ritz wrote: »
    This thread has been lurking in the back of my mind since I posted about the Merak so here's my story of "the one that got away"........

In the eearly 80s I used to pass through Athy weekly on my way from Dublin - this would have been 1981/2/3 as far as I can figure. On the way into Athy from the Kilcullen side there was ( still is ?) a Ford dealership and about the same place on the opposite side of the road was a scrap yard of sorts. now this wasn't a breakers like youd see these days, I think I remember a caravan or mobile and a few broken down cars, not much more.

One day in passing I spotted something strange parked in there and turned in for a closer look - there was no one around anyway. Parked there in a very dilapidated condition was a a Porsche Pre-A 365, split screen. It was rusty, the screen was cracked, the interior butchered and the rear arches had been cut square over the wheels (I'm shuddering now at the memory). It looked to me as though the engine had been swapped, prob for a vw unit, because the rear wheelbase was wider than the front.

At the time I was leading a nomadic existence because I was on the road a lot, living between a flat in Dublin and whatever area I was working and had no way of storing (never mind restoring) the misfortunate car. I thought of it often in the intervening years and recall a small note in one of the UK classic car magazines about the Pre-a which had been rescued from Ireland and I guessed it was the same one - there just couldn't be two of them.

An air-cooled Porsche was my long promised retirement car, but that was a plan hatched when 911s were 10k money - the madness in the market has put paid to that plan making the one that got away all the more bitter sweet.

Ritz.

To add a little bit more info to this;

According to the chap that I know that once owned it, it was stored in an out building of a hotel that went into receivership and was moved to the scrap yard that you mentioned, from there it was moved to a driveway in Templeogue where it stayed for a while until it was vandalised and had its back window broken.
    It was then moved to a warehouse in Newmarket Square where it stayed for a few years, and that is where my friend came across it. He kept it for around a year and decided to sell it on. He wrote to Classic Car magazine and it was featured in the 'Discovered' section. The phone rang off the hook for about 2 weeks. A chap from Waterford bought it, and thats where the trail ends. It could very well still be sitting down there!

Excellent pictures there kevin, great to see the dots being joined up!
    I remember when I was a kid hearing a story about a Ferrari Dino being under wraps in the garage at the glen of the downs, anybody know if there was any truth in it?

^ possible, if it's the same garage I'm thinking of they used to have some interesting stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Mac 3

Anyone ever remember seeing a mid 90's Aston Martin Vantage on an Irish plate. A mate said he saw a Waterford registered one once. Always wondered whether one made it over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

There's a navy Aston Martin V8 floating around Cabinteely direction for a number of years. Saw it more recently in Carrickmines. Lovely machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭tc20

Big Nasty wrote: »
    There's a navy Aston Martin V8 floating around Cabinteely direction for a number of years. Saw it more recently in Carrickmines. Lovely machine.

I recall seeing a car matching this description around Foxrock in the late 70s, not sure if its the same model

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

Mac 3 wrote: »
    Anyone ever remember seeing a mid 90's Aston Martin Vantage on an Irish plate. A mate said he saw a Waterford registered one once. Always wondered whether one made it over here.
    There was a photo of a Virage on here somewhere. Could easily be mistaken for a Vantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Mac 3

millington wrote: »
    There was a photo of a Virage on here somewhere. Could easily be mistaken for a Vantage.

I think I put the photo of the virage up there. This would have been 1994 maybe 95 vantage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Excellent pictures there kevin, great to see the dots being joined up!
    I remember when I was a kid hearing a story about a Ferrari Dino being under wraps in the garage at the glen of the downs, anybody know if there was any truth in it?

Where Austin Byrne was the owner? He very kindly used to let me do odd jobs on my car that I couldn't do at home...I never saw or heard of a Dino there, under wraps or otherwise.

While I'm here.. I remember doing some ground works at a large house near greystones about twenty years ago and the owner had two fabulous Jensen Cv8's round the back.
    He is no longer with us and I never discovered where the cars went..

Advertisement