Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to KILL Ivy?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭pauldavis123

You need Triclopyr as well as glycophosphate.

SBK Brushwood Killer has it.

Also, kill the ivy and leave it six months if you can, it will all come off in one go then and a pressure washer will take off any remaining tendrils.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭lisnsooz

Hi
    Im in the process if getting a lot of ivy removed. Does anyone know where to get rid of it to? I live in drumcondra so cant go burning. Will the local bring centres accept?
    Thanks!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Similar ish question, Have a small plot of trees and over the last few year, massive ivy growth. Generally I just ignore as it is all part of the cycle. But 90% of all trees have substantial ivy growth and much more have fallen in the last 2 winters and I find the new younger trees already covered with Ivy. Ground ivy is pretty much everywhere too. Whole place is about 2-3 acres so it's a decent patch. All advice welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭macraignil

lordgoat wrote: »
    Similar ish question, Have a small plot of trees and over the last few year, massive ivy growth. Generally I just ignore as it is all part of the cycle. But 90% of all trees have substantial ivy growth and much more have fallen in the last 2 winters and I find the new younger trees already covered with Ivy. Ground ivy is pretty much everywhere too. Whole place is about 2-3 acres so it's a decent patch. All advice welcome!

My opinion is that you have been doing the right thing to let it grow away without interference as it is a valuable support for wildlife in a woodland. I could understand if someone was renovating an old house that had become overgrown but ivy is an important part of irish woodland habitats and I don't know why you would want to remove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

macraignil wrote: »
    My opinion is that you have been doing the right thing to let it grow away without interference as it is a valuable support for wildlife in a woodland. I could understand if someone was renovating an old house that had become overgrown but ivy is an important part of irish woodland habitats and I don't know why you would want to remove it.

I know this is subjective but I think ivy growing into a tree canopy looks awful.

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    I know this is subjective but I think ivy growing into a tree canopy looks awful.

Don't really mind it myself in a natural woodland setting. If you did have a specimen tree in the garden I guess it would be worth keeping the ivy clear to avoid wind damage in winter storms and just cutting the ivy stems at the tree trunk would probably be sufficient. Doing this over three acres of woodland would take a while and again I reckon it would be of detriment to the wildlife in the area. In natural woodland trees regularly fall over from time to time to make space for new trees but in a garden falling trees would be something to avoid.

On a sort of related point the gardener across the road from me has got some cherry trees with Virginia creeper climbing them and it has a great display of red in the autumn. I'm trying to get something similar started on a cherry tree in my own garden and hoping this year will see enough growth in the vine to get it established on the cherry tree.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

macraignil wrote: »

trust me I undertand and know the benefits and importance of ivy. Recently though I don't see the young and mid trees surviving. The growth on some of these is 80% + coverage. So I don't expect them to carry this with them for the next 10+ years. The Ivy on some has a stem as thick as the main tree trunk on alot so I'm concerned in 10 years time, I'll end up with a big field of ivy!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭lisnsooz

So yeah... we have a sort of wasteland at back of our house and the ivy growing there is severely undermining the boundary walls for us and neighbours. The place hasnt been maintained and things are getting bad. So i decided to go in and sort ot out myself. Theres about 50m x 3 m area of ivy am clearing, so am wondering if bring centres are the place to go to, do ye think?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭tele2020

The problem is woodlands are becoming ivylands and no one wants that

If you look at my first post on this thread you can see that I mentioned that ivy is an important part of woodland habitat in this country. In nature we often see climbers growing on trees and ivy provides valuable late season flowers for pollinator insects and food for birds over winter. Ivy in a natural woodland is not a problem and it makes that woodland a better environment for a variety of wildlife with not only food provided but evergreen shelter and places for small animals to live. As someone who likes to see other types of life have somewhere to live I am someone who wants to see ivy in a woodland. I do remove it from parts of my own garden where I want to grow other plants (and recently cut some that was growing up the pole for our electric supply cable in case it became a problem to the wires in a few years) but also leave it alone in places as I see the value of it in promoting wildlife in the garden which I like to see and find makes the garden a nicer place for me to spend time. A woodland stripped of ivy would be a much poorer habitat. Here is a video clip of some ivy on a warm day in September when the flowers were humming with the sound of happy pollinator insects.

Happy gardening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭blackbox

Ivy definitely provides an important habitat for many species. However, in the absence of animals that eat it such as deer and goats, it is likely to become overwhelming. It's all about balance.

Deciduous trees that have ivy on their crowns are much more likely to be destroyed by winter storms.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭tele2020

I see ivy on a lot of trees and those trees are being choked and some leaning dangerously to the road. I'll all for a mix of flowers and trees to encourage different wildlife, but Ivy has to go and some other alternative that doesn't choke the trees or even climb the trees should be out there.

I'm all for road safety and it there are trees threatening to fall on the road they should be removed before they cause a serious accident. There are plenty of other plants we can choose to grow and I am in favour of variety as I think this allows more variety in the ecological niches to support greater variety of life, but ivy is part of this country's natural flora and an essential part of ecosystems supporting a wide variety of native wildlife. I really don't understand what you mean by saying "ivy has to go". It is not practical, possible or in my view even desirable to try and remove all of the ivy growing in this country. We have trouble even controlling much smaller amounts of invasive species from other countries where efforts to control and eliminate have been enforced for a number of years like with Japanese knotweed and Rhododendron.

Post edited by macraignil on

Advertisement