Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Pithythefool

Was over to my great aunts house a few days after she died. She had insisted that all living relatives be present and that her body would be displayed in the living room, not the funeral parlour.

A bit on the strange side, but we all turned up, even her estranged husband who had moved to somewhere in South America decades ago. As you can imagine it already had a strange vibe to it, but it got much stranger!

As you do, I excused myself to go to the bathroom (any excuse to not be standing around in awkward silence). The bathroom was upstairs, just next to her (old) bedroom.

I was only sitting on the jackspot for 5 seconds when this sense of foreboding just came over me, its hard to explain, like a feeling where you know something absolutely dreadful is about to happen, but you dont know what. But then it passed and it was grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Was over to my great aunts house a few days after she died. She had insisted that all living relatives be present and that her body would be displayed in the living room, not the funeral parlour.

A bit on the strange side, but we all turned up, even her estranged husband who had moved to somewhere in South America decades ago. As you can imagine it already had a strange vibe to it, but it got much stranger!

As you do, I excused myself to go to the bathroom (any excuse to not be standing around in awkward silence). The bathroom was upstairs, just next to her (old) bedroom.

I was only sitting on the jackspot for 5 seconds when this sense of foreboding just came over me, its hard to explain, like a feeling where you know something absolutely dreadful is about to happen, but you dont know what. But then it passed and it was grand.
    s-l300.jpg

Deank wrote: »
    s-l300.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Zht1Fwc.gif

Deank wrote: »
    Zht1Fwc.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

branie2 wrote: »
    Being alone in a room with a holy picture, almost as if the religious figure is staring at you

And you think that the picture is about to come alive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

And you think that the picture is about to come alive

Stop It's too scary!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Rosie Rant

This is probably totally explainable but I'm creeped out anyway. I was going through my phone earlier today and came across an accidental 2 second video I recorded when I was trying to take a picture of my birthday cake a few weeks ago. I hadn't bothered deleting it. When it was recorded there was no sound in the background (nobody was talking and the TV wasn't on) but when I played it today there was a deep, gravelly, scary-sounding voice I've never heard before saying "who is it, David?" I showed the video to my OH, thinking he'd explain it away and tell me I was being silly but he was unnerved by it too. Probably because his name is David. I deleted the video, kind of wish I hadn't now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Being alone in a room with a holy picture, almost as if the religious figure is staring at you

There was one in my parents room of some young female saint . Not only would she stare at you but her mouth would mutter at you too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭mistersifter

was home alone one day studying. There was absolute silence until suddenly a moaning voice outside my bedroom door saying very loudly, "I'm dying" . It was so clear that I didn't even consider that I might be hearing things. I nearly sh*t myself and instinctively went to leave the house as I thought someone was there. When I opened the bedroom door my cat was sitting outside looking up at me! Bloody thing had cancer at the time and all and died a short time later. F*ckin thing spoke to me and scared the sh*t out of me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

was home alone one day studying. There was absolute silence until suddenly a moaning voice outside my bedroom door saying very loudly, "I'm dying" . It was so clear that I didn't even consider that I might be hearing things. I nearly sh*t myself and instinctively went to leave the house as I thought someone was there. When I opened the bedroom door my cat was sitting outside looking up at me! Bloody thing had cancer at the time and all and died a short time later. F*ckin thing spoke to me and scared the sh*t out of me!
    A talking cat :eek: Did you ask it any questions or try to talk to it after that?

A talking cat :eek: Did you ask it any questions or try to talk to it after that?

did i f*ck. I stayed as far away as possible until she died!:pac:

And that's why they can talk but seldom bother trying :rolleyes:.

I was joking of course, I obviously looked after my cat when she had cancer (and her sister who also got the same thing shortly after).

I don't believe in anything supernatural. It was obviously just a weird meow, but it sounded so clear it scared the sh*t out of me. Would've been grand if she had said something less unnerving e.g. "get up off your hole and get me some chicken".

• Registered Users Posts: 34 FBWT

A good few years ago I was getting a spin home after work from a neighbour. This lady worked for a chain of convenience stores and had been up the country supervising the set up of a new shop, and had been taking pictures of the refurb as it was going along.

Anyway while we were in the car she was showing me the before and after pictures, and as I was flipping through them she stopped me at a particular picture and asked me "Can you see anything strange in that picture?". I was a picture of the basement before the renovations started, a very dingy dark room with a small window just below the ceiling that would have been at street level if seen from the outside. Bare walls, bare ceiling, bare floors and nothing else. So of course I said "nope...nothing strange". She said another lady in her office had been looking at that picture earlier that day and had claimed she could see an old man standing in the corner of the room. Neither of us could see it though!

I thought no more of it until we got back to her place and I popped in to see her family for a cuppa. We were all sitting in the kitchen having a tay and a chat, and her youngfella starts flicking through the stack of pictures, he gets to the picture of the basement as says.."Mam, who's yer man in the corner?" :eek::eek::eek:

I nearly started crying...still gives me the willies just thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭DanMurphy

Not really creepy but...the Co Council were digging to lay base for a new road near my gaff when they found an ancient stirrup buried about 15 feet down!
    How the heck did it get buried so deep?

I brought it to a horsey shop in Town and all the info I could get was that it belonged on the 'left side' of a saddle and could be hundreds of years old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

FBWT wrote: »
    her youngfella starts flicking through the stack of pictures, he gets to the picture of the basement as says.."Mam, who's yer man in the corner?" :eek::eek::eek:

Don't end it there. More details please? Did he say what the guy looked like? Did his description gel with that of the other woman who'd seen him?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I had to go back to work today after 12 days off... that surely qualifies for creepy and unneerving...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

DanMurphy wrote: »
    Not really creepy but...the Co Council were digging to lay base for a new road near my gaff when they found an ancient stirrup buried about 15 feet down!
    How the heck did it get buried so deep?

I brought it to a horsey shop in Town and all the info I could get was that it belonged on the 'left side' of a saddle and could be hundreds of years old.

That's pretty cool. You'd probably be better off bringing it to an archaeologist than some wan who sells saddle soap, though.

kylith wrote: »
    That's pretty cool. You'd probably be better off bringing it to an archaeologist than some wan who sells saddle soap, though.

True I guess, but I still have it hanging on the wall!
    It looks just like a modern day stirrup, but obviously forge made.
    Sorry I can't show a picture.
    I bet there's some history to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

True I guess, but I still have it hanging on the wall!
    It looks just like a modern day stirrup, but obviously forge made.
    Sorry I can't show a picture.
    I bet there's some history to it.

Why can’t you show a pic?

Tried and failed!
    Can't get the hang of it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Posting these for Dan.

OSyDMAV.jpg

dpn0mHF.jpg

RkcOEWb.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I’d imagine there’s some forum on boards that has an expert that could give you a rough age on that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

It looks like a recent/more modern stirrup iron to me. A rubber grip would have sat in the open space on the bottom for the foot to grip, like the photo below.

Stirrup.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Valentina wrote: »
    It looks like a recent/more modern stirrup iron to me. A rubber grip would have sat in the open space on the bottom for the foot to grip, like the photo below.

Stirrup.png
    Yep I'd agree, I don't think it's 100 years old tbh..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Kamili wrote: »
    Yep I'd agree, I don't think it's 100 years old tbh..

I'm unsure when that Fillis style was first made and Google isn't helping. I'd guess 1970s, maybe the '60s? We have saddles from the late '70s and various bits of tack and those are the style of stirrups with them.

Thanks guys, I know zilch about stirrups, just that it was found so deep underground I assume it's old...
    btw, if any 'horsey' folk wants said artifact for posterity and for free, I'd be happy to pass it on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

It could be old enough. The fillis stirrup iron was invented by James Fillis who lived between 1834 and 1913. Assuming he invented the stirrup iron closer to the end of his life, it could be up to a century old. It's not really worth anything though, them and their variations are some of the most common irons used in the world. I have more than one set at home that's starting to rust, which reminds me that I really should look into replacing them...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Thanks guys, I know zilch about stirrups, just that it was found so deep underground I assume it's old...
    btw, if any 'horsey' folk wants said artifact for posterity and for free, I'd be happy to pass it on?

You didn't find any horse remains with it, by chance, did you? 'cause you may just have found Shergar! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    There was one in my parents room of some young female saint . Not only would she stare at you but her mouth would mutter at you too

Which saint?

• Advertisement

Which saint?

I just remember her as Stella M something . She was a young girl

I just remember her as Stella M something . She was a young girl

This one? :D:D:D

http://saintstella.com/about/

😂😂
    No . But I think I found her ! Its a painting of a young Stella Matutina who apparently is Morning Star and depicts Our Lady

Ps . She still scares the living daylights out of me

����
    No . But I think I found her ! Its a painting of a young Stella Matutina who apparently is Morning Star and depicts Our Lady

Ps . She still scares the living daylights out of me

:D:D

Which particular representation. I googled and there's a number and all of them are familiar but none are muttering at me. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Spent too many years working at DFA. Genuinely creepy and unnerving!

What/Where is DFA?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Is Quantum Entanglement Spooky or what ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Spent too many years working at DFA. Genuinely creepy and unnerving!

Department of Foreign Affairs?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭justfillmein

years ago after doing a training day in a real sweaty shop mid summer, I was in a crappy mood.
    I was on the bus coming home when some man starts talking to me.
    skinny bald thing, with a leather jacket on that thought he was slick.
    spoke real smooth and charming.
    he said at one point he was from algeria.

anyway he was asking where I was coming from, and I told him about my crappy day.
    he asked me about my friends and I then gave out about them.
    I wasn't living at home either so when he asked about my family, of course I gave out about them too.
    he said something about a holiday, and I said I hadn't been away in years, boo hoo.
    just basically giving out about life in general.

then, he said he'd take me on a holiday..
    it was only THEN that I realized just how much I had said to him.

young girl, with crappy friends, crappy family, no set place to live and just starting a career in a crappy company with broken air conditioning.

I absolutely sh!t myself when the penny dropped.
    maybe he was just a nice friendly man, or maybe not. but i'll never forget the feeling of dread in that moment:eek:

years ago after doing a training day in a real sweaty shop mid summer, I was in a crappy mood.
    I was on the bus coming home when some man starts talking to me.
    skinny bald thing, with a leather jacket on that thought he was slick.
    spoke real smooth and charming.
    he said at one point he was from algeria.

anyway he was asking where I was coming from, and I told him about my crappy day.
    he asked me about my friends and I then gave out about them.
    I wasn't living at home either so when he asked about my family, of course I gave out about them too.
    he said something about a holiday, and I said I hadn't been away in years, boo hoo.
    just basically giving out about life in general.

then, he said he'd take me on a holiday..
    it was only THEN that I realized just how much I had said to him.

young girl, with crappy friends, crappy family, no set place to live and just starting a career in a crappy company with broken air conditioning.

I absolutely sh!t myself when the penny dropped.
    maybe he was just a nice friendly man, or maybe not. but i'll never forget the feeling of dread in that moment:eek:
    Your Penny dropped in good time and let that be a lesson to you:eek : ;)

Thankfully you saw the light , before possibly lights out .

• Advertisement

before I walked into a new career in a brothel in some slum in god knows what country :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

before I walked into a new career in a brothel in some slum in god knows what country :eek:

Sure with a username like that... :P

Canard wrote: »
    Sure with a username like that... :P

true, but I prefare to choose who i'm being filled in by, myself:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Justfillmein's story reminds me of something that happened to me a few years ago. Live in the States, and was at a good friends wedding. Finished in the pub at about 4 in the morning, and I was fairly wrecked at that stage. Decided to walk home as I was only around 15 minutes away. Woke up the following morning with a fairly brutal hangover. Checked my pockets and realised that my wallet was gone. Last time I remembered having it out was in the last pub, so just thought I left it there. Checked the opening time of the place and it wasn't for a few hours, so decided to roll over to sleep again,

Next thing my phone rang and it was the front desk of the apartment block saying I had a guest. Told them to let them up without even asking who it was, thinking that it might be something to do with my wallet. Opened the door, and saw a man of around 70 walking down the hall waving the wallet, and saying 'Its your lucky day!' I was delighted and, without thinking, invited him in to the apartment. It was a roasting day so offered him a Sprite. Money was gone from the wallet, but I had an emergency stash in my room, so gave him whatever money I could find to thank him for being so honest. Anyway, he was still showing no sign of leaving. Started asking me lots of questions, particularly about money, such as,'What kind of car do you have, must be a Mercedes.' I politely answered with my worsening hangover, but still not leaving.

Then he asked if he could use the bathroom. Told him that it wasn't a problem, so he wandered in and kept talking to me with door open. 'Thats a really nice razor you have, do you mind if I have a shave?' Not a question I was expecting, and at this stage, I was in full panic mode. Let him shave, while all the time he's talking to me. I texted a friend to say that if I don't send him another text within 45 mins, call the cops. He continued to check out my toiletries, using my deodorant and talking about what a lovely day it was. Wandered out, sat down, and I was quietly sizing him up. He was old, but built like a tank, and I haven't been in a fight since I was 11.

Then finally, he asked me to call his friend to pick him up. Huge relief, and when I was talking to his friend, it turned out he was running a mission for homeless people. The guy shook my hand and thanked me for my hospitality. At this stage I felt really fcuking bad for thinking the worst. A homeless guy had gone out of his way to get my wallet back to me, and just wanted to freshen up. I was still never as relieved as to get him out of the apartment at the end.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

One of the scariest things that ever happened to me was in a cab between Portarlington train station and the air field in Clonbullogue early on a Sunday morning the best part of 20 years ago. The car itself was gross, open rubbish bags in the footwell of the back seat, decomposing banana skins on the seat, etc. I had no choice but to take that cab because there really was no alternative form of transport to get there. The cab driver's idea of small talk was to bring up those poor young women who had gone missing. While driving in the middle of nowhere, he said to me, "Like, for instance, if I drove down one of these boreens nobody would ever find you again." The hairs on my neck stood up, and for the rest of the journey I never stopped praying. The relief I felt when I got out of that car was something I'll never forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

'Thats a really nice razor you have

Oh sweet baby jebus, I would have bolted from the apartment at this stage:eek:

New Home wrote: »
    While driving in the middle if nowhere, he said to me, "Like, for instance, if I drove down one of these boreens nobody would ever find you again."

Have 4 sisters and reckon 2 or 3 of them got that treatment thumbing back in the 70s and 80s. In one instance a sister was driven up a small road and she had to pretty calmly tell a driver it would cost him a eye, and he took the knock back very well and turned around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

New Home wrote: »
    While driving in the middle if nowhere, he said to me, "Like, for instance, if I drove down one of these boreens nobody would ever find you again."

Have 4 sisters and reckon 2 or 3 of them got that treatment thumbing back in the 70s and 80s. In one instance a sister was driven up a small road and she had to pretty calmly tell a driver it would cost him a eye, and he took the knock back very well and turned around.

Hitched all over Ireland in the 1980s, got the odd lift off guys who would ask 'do you have a girlfriend' as an opening gambit to making a pass. The amount of repressed gay lads back then must have been massive.

Two girls from the North I met in a hostel in Brussels back then told me how they would always ask male drivers who gave them a lift (they hitched from Belfast to Rosslare) if they wanted an apple. Whatever the answer, one of them would take an apple out and start peeling it with a knife. Nobody messed with them on their travels.

When I think back, it was pretty much taken as a given that a fair percentage of people who gave lifts were either weirdos or likely to harm you (usually meaning sexually assault or rape female hitchhikers) if given the chance.

Hitched all over Ireland in the 1980s, got the odd lift off guys who would ask 'do you have a girlfriend' as an opening gambit to making a pass. The amount of repressed gay lads back then must have been massive.

Two girls from the North I met in a hostel in Brussels back then told me how they would always ask male drivers who gave them a lift (they hitched from Belfast to Rosslare) if they wanted an apple. Whatever the answer, one of them would take an apple out and start peeling it with a knife. Nobody messed with them on their travels.

When I think back, it was pretty much taken as a given that a fair percentage of people who gave lifts were either weirdos or likely to harm you (usually meaning sexually assault or rape female hitchhikers) if given the chance.
    Thats some sort of reverse Adam and Eve going on there . It probably didn’t help some people picking up Hitch Hikers .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I'm sure I saw that scene in a film. Pretty lady in jeans and leather jacket hitching a lift, gets picked up by a trucker if I remember correctly and begins peeling an apple with a large knife while chatting away.

Advertisement