Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raves

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭limnam

Were Spiral Tribe at that one? I wasn't at it myself but it was the stuff of legends. Definitely seemed like the real spirit of rave culture. Loved Spiral Tribe, must dig out my old tape of them 'the doors are where the Windows should be.' Fantastic punky rave, nothing like a bit of crusty culture, love it and miss it.

Didn't they play a gig at the hellfire club?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭dasdog

limnam wrote: »

Think that got cancelled as the garda found out about it. Or so I was led to believe at the time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

Watched the film 'Sorted' for the first time in years, not a great film but an unbelievable soundtrack.

This gem amongst others

https://youtu.be/KLWi7lo2NfY

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

limnam wrote: »

Twasn't cancelled. I was at that one. The guards did come eventually, think it was early morning if I remember correctly, was very misty and totally atmospheric.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

Were Spiral Tribe at that one? I wasn't at it myself but it was the stuff of legends. Definitely seemed like the real spirit of rave culture. Loved Spiral Tribe, must dig out my old tape of them 'the doors are where the Windows should be.' Fantastic punky rave, nothing like a bit of crusty culture, love it and miss it.

I'm not sure really about the spiral tribe, there was also some great raves in the Wood's in East Clare back in the 90s.

A lot of old money English hippies moved over and they used to have great night's out in the woods.
    They'ed have generators powering the amps and turn tables.

There was some amazing nights under the stars, you'd always be offered a place to rest your head and some food until you are right for road.

Funny that, the Irish would walk around or over you take the piss when you're fcked, the hippies would look after you and make sure you're OK

I never really put much thought into that.

Anyhow I'm off the hooch and mind altering substances over 15 year's now.

It would be interesting to go to a rave sober, rumor has it there's still raves going on around Feakle.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

I remember some good nights in what was called Kitty's Field in Galway. Great stomping music, fires and tea. Like you say beds and shelter if needed. I've also left that lifestyle behind me. Loved it for years though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

I remember going to 2 unlimited and the shamen when I was 17 in the mansion house in Dublin, getting the bus up on the day and first bus home next morning both events, country boy first time to a concert, blew my mind the lights music atmosphere smell of vicks in the air and disco biscuits, sent me on a one way party ticket, moved to cork after the leaving cert in '92, all I have to say to that is I found Henry's and the 90s was really fun times, sound people brilliant weekends oh and the music the build up and then the drop, place was mental. have found memories of 90s

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I remember going to 2 unlimited and the shamen when I was 17 in the mansion house in Dublin, getting the bus up on the day and first bus home next morning both events, country boy first time to a concert, blew my mind the lights music atmosphere smell of vicks in the air and disco biscuits, sent me on a one way party ticket, moved to cork after the leaving cert in '92, all I have to say to that is I found Henry's and the 90s was really fun times, sound people brilliant weekends oh and the music the build up and then the drop, place was mental. have found memories of 90s

90's and early 2000's were definitely the golden years for underground dance music, cork was at the fore front of it, you had a core group of people who cared about the scene and unfortunately that ain't there today bar a few people .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Few from back in the day ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

I used to go to the Temple Theatre or Temple Bar Music Centre in Dublin back in the 90's.

they were good times

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭davidglanza

Sir henrys raves in cork back in the day...savage...lol

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Scent of vicks in the air? Explain this one to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

beertons wrote: »
    Scent of vicks in the air? Explain this one to me.

Vicks was used by a lot of E users.. It kinda enhanced the high temporarily or so was thought anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,403 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Lorelli! wrote: »
    What actually is a Rave? I think the school disco may have been the closest thing to a rave I've been too :D :pac: unless you count outdoor concerts!

I know everyone "hates" Maniac but that's what they played. I don't mind it :)

that song was the worst thing ever

ever

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

With raves i was always of the opinion you needed the drugs to put up with sh*t music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

lawred2 wrote: »
    that song was the worst thing ever

ever

:D

I know lawred but sometimes bad songs happen to good people :(:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 waygook

As the fright you’d get when you left the club and saw your reflection somewhere 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭outside the rain

Waiting in the queue with your ticket for your coat!!! 🤗

Suicide Tuesdays after a weekend in The Temple 🙀 (Don’t mean to make light of anyone’s struggles - that was the name for the three-day scag in my time - Tuesday being the worst for some reason?)

• Advertisement

How old were you at that time? I don't remember being young and those were the sayings? I get the 'fear' or dreading the next day or talking about the blues but nothing as graphic as that was said amongst our peers.

Tbh I'd say that was something said within your group?. I've never heard of that.

I would have been 17 or 18 and was probably going for a year or two.

Maybe 18 actually because I used to go to The Red Box and HAM at the Pod before we started going to The Temple (I think)

Must have been just my group of mates so 😳

I’m sitting here listening to a Mario Picotto mix - taking me back 😁

Probably just a saying within your friend group ye. I've never heard of it in ireland as a saying..looking it up...it comes up in urban dictionary as xtc side effect or MDMA so probably not wrong . Just never heard of it personally.

Every group of mates has their own lingo for sure.

Was it The Temple you were talking about queueing for jackets?

I remember queuing to get in in a bikini and hotpants and hooker boots with the kids from the flats pelting us with snowballs 🥶😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

Smelling Vicks was a very pleasant experience which cleared your lungs and stimulated your senses.

Everything is nicer under the influence of Ecstasy. Even a painting you look at, a conversation you are having ( or think you are having ), an apple you are rubbing on your left cheek, a grape you are eating, a song you are dancing to.... etc. A book you are reading, a film you are watching.

It intensifies anything you are doing in an extremely positive way. You feel amazing and love everyone.

It was invented by German scientists to medicate Geriatrics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Rave for me = Most dance music up to 1993. After that it's 160bpm+ music like Marusha, Westbam, Ravers nature, Scott brown etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭dasdog

What constitutes a rave. In the 90's after the UK introduced the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act the whole culture moved to The Netherlands and Germany.

-Padlocks are put on a warehouse in advance of the weekend and police informed the place was being temporarily squatted

-Word gets out and people get "sorted"

-No bouncers or security - just a few crusties at the entrance who are running it taking donations as the entrance fee which is optional

-Generators are out the back to power a lighting and sound system playing mental electronic music

-The party starts around midnight - the vast majority of people are sound but there are always a few crazies and a few dangerous people about

-The police turn up at around 10:00am and say enough you've had your fun

-Everyone leaves peacefully and in a daze for the many remaining hours they are still awake waiting for the next weekend

My experience a few times anyway.

Advertisement