Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best farming van

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

The problem is though many saloon/estate cars with 2.0 diesel engines have towing capacities of up on 2000kg and more in some cases and most aren't 4wd either. The caddy, partner, berlingo etc. Can't hold a candle to that and it's a shame.

For example a sub 1500kg towing capacity from a 2.0tdi 4motion caddy is quite frankly pitiful.

The way things are now a farmer would be aswell off with a cheap tax diesel estate car if he wanted something with cheap running costs, a decent rear load space and the ability to tow a handy trailer.

Skoda Octavia scout estate. 145bhp 4wd, lots of room and very comfortable. Well able to tow too

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭divillybit

Completely agree with this comment about opel combos. Ive a company van, a 131 combo with a 185 k km on it and its on its last legs. The service interval of 30,000 km is far too long. The oil is so fine in these new diesel engines it needs replacing every 20,000km.

Don't touch the opel combo.some people raving about mpg on the 1.3 engine.its a fiat engine that's bet into the combo to fit.to do any work on the engine you will be guaranteed to take chunks out of your hands unless you have wee midget hands.heater plugs are impossible to change on them as they normally break removing them and your looking at pulling the head or tap and die to fix.egr valves are a nightmare and air flow meters are China's finest and not cheap.you will also have to replace every single suspension part on a weekly basis as they appear to be made of twigs and soft as butter.also no matter how many times you track it they go up the road like a 3 legged crab with a bad dose of itch.you will also end up funding your local tyre mans kids college funds.you will end up spending the winter threatening it to start on cold mornings and the rest of the time trying to find out where the leaks are that fill it with water.as for a trailer they wouldn't pull the socks off a dead man. I could think of others but maybe my yeok is just haunted.gotta hand it to her though she has character

Was over with a neighbour earlier and he has a collection of ford Galaxy/Alhambra/touran cars . Got one a few years ago for the Mrs for dropping the kids around and ended up using it more himself of bought another one. Has picked up a few for parts as well. Reckons the VW version is the best of the 3 as you can get it with the bigger engine.

Loads of room, plenty of prower with the bigger engines, lots of comfort and 6 speed box for economy.

He has taken out the rear folding seats in one and put in a plywood base and mesh as he uses it for his tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭selectamatic

yellow50HX wrote: »
    Was over with a neighbour earlier and he has a collection of ford Galaxy/Alhambra/touran cars . Got one a few years ago for the Mrs for dropping the kids around and ended up using it more himself of bought another one. Has picked up a few for parts as well. Reckons the VW version is the best of the 3 as you can get it with the bigger engine.

Loads of room, plenty of prower with the bigger engines, lots of comfort and 6 speed box for economy.

He has taken out the rear folding seats in one and put in a plywood base and mesh as he uses it for his tools.

Funny you should mention it I was looking on dd at the weekend for them for the laugh. They've the best towing capacity of any vehicle with the old school 1.9 tdi engines.

The diesel sharan, Alhambra and galaxy all have a towing capacity of 2000kg regardless of bhp.

The most reliable pick would be the 1st gens with either the 90bhp or 110bhp engines. That said the facelift models with the 130bhp engine would be prob be best for a balanced blend of performance and reliability. Could always get one mapped to 180bhp for the Craic too :P

There's quite a few 115bhp models about but these had pretty poor injector seals and head gasket issues aren't unheard of so they'd be the least desirable.

All in all though they'd make a serious alternative to a caddy with the added benefit of being cheaper to buy and more comfortable to drive.

Insurance on a commercial conversion could prove tricky.

Funny you should mention it I was looking on dd at the weekend for them for the laugh. They've the best towing capacity of any vehicle with the old school 1.9 tdi engines.

The diesel sharan, Alhambra and galaxy all have a towing capacity of 2000kg regardless of bhp.

The most reliable pick would be the 1st gens with either the 90bhp or 110bhp engines. That said the facelift models with the 130bhp engine would be prob be best for a balanced blend of performance and reliability. Could always get one mapped to 180bhp for the Craic too :P

There's quite a few 115bhp models about but these had pretty poor injector seals and head gasket issues aren't unheard of so they'd be the least desirable.

All in all though they'd make a serious alternative to a caddy with the added benefit of being cheaper to buy and more comfortable to drive.

Insurance on a commercial conversion could prove tricky.

Just removing the back seats (3rd row) doesn't mean a commercial conversion so no need to change the tax and insurance.

The early ones are bullet proof but the 90 hp version is very under powered, ok around town but heavy on the juice. The 110 and 130 versions are better for towing and carrying lots of stuff. The 2l has the same engine as the Passat and skoda and they go to 170 Jp. Have seen a few of ones with the bigger engined ones pulling massive caravans so no issues with towing. A relative hired one a few years ago to go camping in France with the family and though they were great, bought 1 when he got home. Still has it but the tax was high at the time (pre 2008)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭MF290

3l audi a6 allroad has a 2.5t towing capacity

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Just removing the back seats (3rd row) doesn't mean a commercial conversion so no need to change the tax and insurance.

The early ones are bullet proof but the 90 hp version is very under powered, ok around town but heavy on the juice. The 110 and 130 versions are better for towing and carrying lots of stuff. The 2l has the same engine as the Passat and skoda and they go to 170 Jp. Have seen a few of ones with the bigger engined ones pulling massive caravans so no issues with towing. A relative hired one a few years ago to go camping in France with the family and though they were great, bought 1 when he got home. Still has it but the tax was high at the time (pre 2008)

I wonder would messing with the 3rd row of seats have implications for the NCT ?
    They hate to see anything changed from standard on cars during the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Ay but the commercial tax and insurance would be wanted by quite a few who've spent their lives driving and insuring vans. That's where things could get tricky.

If the shoe was on the other foot and a man couldn't get reasonable commercial insurance when starting out (as is the case now) then they make a lot of sense as a private car/work horse.

Any of the old A series tdi's would be my pick over the newer commonrail 2.0 engines but that said their reliability wasn't half as bad when mounted transversely like they are in the golf's, jettas, Octavia's and people carriers. And they're still a much more robust engine than the 1.6tdi

On the whole nct side of things it'd be best just have everything in a way that its easily reversible.

those seats click in and out of place very easily so it'd be handy return to standard come test time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

On Partner/Berlingo vans around 2012-2017 is it true that some of them have a stronger/better rear axle, if so is there a way of finding out which of them has this axle? Does it make much difference if a van has this or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Arent some rated 600kg and some 800kg load capacity ?? I'd imagine thats on the logbook... Must look at mine when I'm home, think its a 600kg

I don't tow with mine, its a nice van, economical and enough space for me, but its got no power, I could get it chipped up but havent bothered, when I tow a trailer I just use our Kuga, if nothing else the Partner is too light to tow anything meaningful safely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

They break themselves!!! I have one. BUT parts are cheap and they are the best yolk for pulling trailers. Only jeep I ever had that could manage triaxle sheep deck Ivor Williams full

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭148multi

They are the easiest to convert because they have a flat floor, Ryan air ran a fleet of galaxy vans in the airport

• Registered Users Posts: 18,656 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Advertisement