Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great White Sharks in Irish waters by 2048.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Finally, we watch Marty Morrissey narrate Shark Week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

I for one welcome our new sea faring overlords.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Can't wait to hunt one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭dmc17

Probably need to look at getting a bigger boat so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

I see a new ad for Specsavers...a Great White being mistaken for Fungi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Great White Sharks in Irish waters by 2048.

What?! 12mins to 9!. Blast, there goes a sea swim tonight!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I suspect they're already here and have been for quite some time. Great Whites can migrate through cold waters because they have a neat little trick unusual in non mammals in that they have some control over their internal body temperature and can raise it above sea temperatures. Their ranges already include quite chilly waters. There are enough prey species in Irish waters, seals, dolphins, fish, I'd be surprised they're not here TBH. At least as occasional visitors.

A few years ago there was a sighting of what appeared to be one of the Scottish west coast. Not your usual non expert sighting either as it was observed by a marine biologist who was convinced of it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

The question i would ask is: is there the Gardai equivalent of a Chief Brody out there somewhere if these boyos switch from seals to humans...... ?

Wibbs wrote: »
    I suspect they're already here and have been for quite some time. Great Whites can migrate through cold waters because they have a neat little trick unusual in non mammals in that they have some control over their internal body temperature and can raise it above sea temperatures. Their ranges already include quite chilly waters. There are enough prey species in Irish waters, seals, dolphins, fish, I'd be surprised they're not here TBH. At least as occasional visitors.

A few years ago there was a sighting of what appeared to be one of the Scottish west coast. Not your usual non expert sighting either as it was observed by a marine biologist who was convinced of it.

Fascinating stuff Wibbs. This Irish Times article from 2014 shows a Great White being tracked some 1200 km off Ireland.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/great-white-shark-tracked-1-200kms-off-irish-coast-1.1719286

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Are you even allowed to have 'great' and 'white' in the same sentence these days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

A blue shark beeched himself in the inner part of Cork harbour only yesterday.Luckily two lads got him back in the water.

There are photos on twitter.

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Are you even allowed to have 'great' and 'white' in the same sentence these days?

‘Carcharodon carcharias’ is a bit of a mouthful tbh and id pity the poor lifeguard having to repeatedly use the term to get people out of the water if one was about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Three tons of him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

Would a great white beat an orca in a fight? I don't think so. Most of us will be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Wibbs is there anything you can't make an interesting post on ???

|Brilliant stuff, and I have some free minutes now so off to do some research...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

The question i would ask is: is there the Gardai equivalent of a Chief Brody out there somewhere if these boyos switch from seals to humans...... ?

:D I'm thinking of an Irish Jaws !! - could have it set on Sherkin Island ... or one of the Arans ?

ah ... love those places ..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Rory28 wrote: »
    Would a great white beat an orca in a fight? I don't think so. Most of us will be fine.

Pretty sure the Orca is the only known predator of the Great White.

There's a great documentary about it in South Africa where Orcas brutally kill migrating GWs every year. The GWs are terrified of them and will retreat if confronted by one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,481 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

this guy?

th?id=OIP.g97pY3iWT-Asmvo8vjC3UwHaFj&w=288&h=216&c=7&o=5&pid=1.7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Pfft , a marine biologist ?
    Everyone knows marines are soldiers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭badtoro

Sergeant Gerry Boyle, lasht of the independents. He knows a black lad that can schwim.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement