Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tarmac drive price 600m2 .

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Great to see Operation Tarmac enforced yesterday by The CAB and Gardai in Killarney, hope its a nationwide crackdown on these scam artists..

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Jollyman

Here is the progress with the prep work finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Asking for a friend who is looking to get Galway Tarmac for their driveway http://www.galwaytarmac.com/
    Has anyone used them and if so how did you find them

Cheers

Asking for a friend who is looking to get Galway Tarmac for their driveway http://www.galwaytarmac.com/
    Has anyone used them and if so how did you find them

Cheers

Can you not get Morans who done yours to do it for your friend?

The guys you mention above seem to have a "few" depots around the country and also trade as Midland tarmac !!!. Also I do a decent bit of work for Roadstone and Kilsaran and they will not let you use their logos etc at your own free will. Look a little closer at the photos on both websites.

I did mention back in September about material costs rising. All my suppliers have put materials up approx 7.5% insurance and transport costs have also risen. So prices will inevitably rise in the next few months. The chancers out for a quick buck will more than likely take their rates down so be aware...

• Advertisement

macadam wrote: »
    Can you not get Morans who done yours to do it for your friend?

The guys you mention above seem to have a "few" depots around the country and also trade as Midland tarmac !!!. Also I do a decent bit of work for Roadstone and Kilsaran and they will not let you use their logos etc at your own free will. Look a little closer at the photos on both websites.

MacAdam, you are one sound buck. I would have given you the job if you were around :D

I asked the question as my friend asked me and Moran is hard to get. I had reservations on them based on what he said to me but you have added in your comments which is good enough for me to kill this.

Their website looks impressive which had me a little puzzled.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

MacAdam, you are one sound buck. I would have given you the job if you were around :D

I asked the question as my friend asked me and Moran is hard to get. I had reservations on them based on what he said to me but you have added in your comments which is good enough for me to kill this.

Their website looks impressive which had me a little puzzled.

and if you look at the top pic the drive is grey colored with paintshop pro or MsPaint, its not a real drive.
    Also the other pics are the same, note the difference in colors on the facia on one and the drive on the other.

Stinks of scammers

Guys these websites are ten a penny and most of them are for the same "crew", stick to a local based contractor, yes they may be hard to get and yes they may be a little bit more expensive, but it will be worth the wait and will serve you a lot longer than a cheap job, its your money and you would be wise to double check every time you are spending a large amount on a purchase or an upgrade.
    This is the very reason I am still posting here, most of these so called contractors are experts at what they are doing and its not giving you what you think your getting..!!!
    Also some local based contractors will also be out to scam you, so get your estimate/quote in writing with all the details of the works. This you can ask them to sign and its as good as a contract. If anything goes wrong you are covered by consumer rights for 5 years when someone supplies you with a service like this (so long as they are registered and you can find them).

Guys these websites are ten a penny and most of them are for the same "crew", stick to a local based contractor, yes they may be hard to get and yes they may be a little bit more expensive, but it will be worth the wait and will serve you a lot longer than a cheap job, its your money and you would be wise to double check every time you are spending a large amount on a purchase or an upgrade.
    This is the very reason I am still posting here, most of these so called contractors are experts at what they are doing and its not giving you what you think your getting..!!!
    Also some local based contractors will also be out to scam you, so get your estimate/quote in writing with all the details of the works. This you can ask them to sign and its as good as a contract. If anything goes wrong you are covered by consumer rights for 5 years when someone supplies you with a service like this (so long as they are registered and you can find them).

MacAdam, thats sound. I told him earlier on. BTW - what's the best way to keep the moss off - jeyes fluid? It is just starting to show early roots and want to keep it off. Its a pure bitch in this damp country between lawn, house and driveway

MacAdam, thats sound. I told him earlier on. BTW - what's the best way to keep the moss off - jeyes fluid? It is just starting to show early roots and want to keep it off. Its a pure bitch in this damp country between lawn, house and driveway

Leave it until late spring put a mug full of JF into a watering can fill with water, a good dry day or two needed and just sweep it off. Do not ever use a power washer on your tarmac/SMA .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭PaidV

Hi all,
    Just wondering what the price to lay stone mastic asphalt is at the moment per square meter? I got a quote of around 20 euro, seems very expensive?
    Thanks!

PaidV wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Just wondering what the price to lay stone mastic asphalt is at the moment per square meter? I got a quote of around 20 euro, seems very expensive?
    Thanks!
    So you didnt go with the company you last inquired about !!
    It'll all depend on whats required. Can you gives us an idea whats involved? Does the price inc vat?
    Materials went up 7.5% 1st January labour costs are also rising and insurance has gone through the roof plus pensions etc. But Im sure there are crews available that dont pay/have insurance and the labour costs will be at a minimum (due to the other payments they are receiving) also take into account that each employee should have received the correct safety training and and also training on each machine involved in the contract, and the machines will also need a GA1 cert to be covered by the insurance.
    All these costs are putting up rates.

It'll all depend on whats required. Can you gives us an idea whats involved? Does the price inc vat?
    Materials went up 7.5% 1st January labour costs are also rising and insurance has gone through the roof plus pensions etc. But Im sure there are crews available that dont pay/have insurance and the labour costs will be at a minimum (due to the other payments they are receiving) also take into account that each employee should have received the correct safety training and and also training on each machine involved in the contract, and the machines will also need a GA1 cert to be covered by the insurance.
    All these costs are putting up rates.

Thanks for the response macadam. Basically I’ve a big domestic area to do in west limerick. I asked for the quote to be split in two parts, the area around the house and the driveway as budget means I may only be able to do around the house at the moment and the rest of the driveway later.
    The area around the house needs 150 linear meters of kerbing, drainage and 670 sq meters of sma. This was priced at €16,500 excluding vat. €3000 for the kerbing, 13000 for the sma and 500 got drainage.
    The driveway is very straight forward, 400 sq meters of sma and 125 linear meters of kerbing, was quoted €8000 for The sma and 2500 for the kerbs.
    The company is local and has a great reputation but it just seems very expensive. I’m sure all insurance, safety training etc has been done.

What do you think?

[QUOTE=PaidV;105842612
    The area around the house needs 150 linear meters of kerbing, drainage and 670 sq meters of sma. This was priced at €16,500 excluding vat. €3000 for the kerbing, 13000 for the sma and 500 got drainage.
    The driveway is very straight forward, 400 sq meters of sma and 125 linear meters of kerbing, was quoted €8000 for The sma and 2500 for the kerbs.
    The company is local and has a great reputation but it just seems very expensive. I’m sure all insurance, safety training etc has been done.

What do you think?[/QUOTE]

Kerbs 125 (or a 150 )are ok on price, depending if they are pressed or precast? How much concrete is being used to lay and haunch them, is there digging out for them? The SMA seems a little bit on the high side, whats involved ? Finished depth ? Filling required? Machine lay or hand lay?
    As for the drainage what are you getting for €500 do not use plastic gullys or channels.
    Your sure all insurance and safety training has been done !! You really need to see proof of this if they damage was or piers/walls down pipes and gutters or break footpaths will you have comeback? All these things should be inspected by the property owner, it will always be asked for by a main contractor before any works commence, we carry a full file on all training insurance etc as its required by laws covering health safety etc.

Kerbs 125 (or a 150 )are ok on price, depending if they are pressed or precast? How much concrete is being used to lay and haunch them, is there digging out for them? The SMA seems a little bit on the high side, whats involved ? Finished depth ? Filling required? Machine lay or hand lay?
    As for the drainage what are you getting for €500 do not use plastic gullys or channels.
    Your sure all insurance and safety training has been done !! You really need to see proof of this if they damage was or piers/walls down pipes and gutters or break footpaths will you have comeback? All these things should be inspected by the property owner, it will always be asked for by a main contractor before any works commence, we carry a full file on all training insurance etc as its required by laws covering health safety etc.

The kerbs are actually the four inch brick kerb so 20 a linear meter seems good for them. There no real digging out to be done for the kerbs to be honest it’s a straight forward enough job.
    Yeah good point I’ll double check what channels, he said aco ones, not sure are they plastic or what.
    They do all a lot of work for limerick county council and other big customers so would imagine all insurance is in place but I’ll ask for it anyway.
    What would be the going rate per meter at the moment for sma do you think?
    Also it’s machine laid

The kerbs are actually the four inch brick kerb so 20 a linear meter seems good for them. There no real digging out to be done for the kerbs to be honest it’s a straight forward enough job.
    Yeah good point I’ll double check what channels, he said aco ones, not sure are they plastic or what.
    They do all a lot of work for limerick county council and other big customers so would imagine all insurance is in place but I’ll ask for it anyway.
    What would be the going rate per meter at the moment for sma do you think?

Depends on depth and if machine or hand lay, and how much prep is involved prices are ranging from €17+ up for 50mm finished depth sma. Contractors will have a different rate of mark up depending on material cost machinery labour costs etc theres always going to be a difference in rates it not like buying a like for like as there are ways of cheating you out of the depth laid or the material used. Will you know the difference in the finished product if its SMA or Tarmac ? Theres a difference in nearly €1000 in SMA and tarmac for your area. And I can guarantee you wont know the difference.

Depends on depth and if machine or hand lay, and how much prep is involved prices are ranging from €17+ up for 50mm finished depth sma. Contractors will have a different rate of mark up depending on material cost machinery labour costs etc theres always going to be a difference in rates it not like buying a like for like as there are ways of cheating you out of the depth laid or the material used. Will you know the difference in the finished product if its SMA or Tarmac ? Theres a difference in nearly €1000 in SMA and tarmac for your area. And I can guarantee you wont know the difference.

They’ve priced me for 50mm dept, 10mm size chip and machine laid. He priced me for the normal tar also and that all in all is 3000 cheaper. How would I tell the diff if it is sma or normal tar?
    The reason I wanted the sma is because it wears better in time I’m told and can hold up better against weight of day the oil truck etc? Is it a waste of money to get the sma do you think?

They’ve priced me for 50mm dept, 10mm size chip and machine laid. He priced me for the normal tar also and that all in all is 3000 cheaper. How would I tell the diff if it is sma or normal tar?
    The reason I wanted the sma is because it wears better in time I’m told and can hold up better against weight of day the oil truck etc? Is it a waste of money to get the sma do you think?

No SMA is far better wearing, all do the weight of the oil truck will also depend on the quality of your sub base. you wont tell the difference in the materials you just ask for delivery dockets and take his word for it. Is that 50mm laid or compacted depth?

No SMA is far better wearing, all do the weight of the oil truck will also depend on the quality of your sub base. you wont tell the difference in the materials you just ask for delivery dockets and take his word for it. Is that 50mm laid or compacted depth?

He says it’s 50mm after being rolled but I’m going to get someone to core it to ensure the dept is really 50mm.
    Thanks for all your info on this. So think €20 per square meter excl vat is expensive enough so?
    I’ll try and get him down to couple I euro anyway

He says it’s 50mm after being rolled but I’m going to get someone to core it to ensure the dept is really 50mm.
    Thanks for all your info on this. So think €20 per square meter excl vat is expensive enough so?
    I’ll try and get him down to couple I euro anyway

If you do core it you will be responsible for the hole, best to have someone present when its being laid.

Post u a few before and after pics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

I'm considering doing a bit of development work using access up a private, tarmac road. It's a bit rough looking although perfectly servicable and has been patched at times.

I was thinking that heavy trucks delivering up the road are like to damage it and thought it might help oil the wheels if I offered to resurface after I was done.

What's involved in the work (some kind of scrabbling off of the surface first I'd imagine), poss some local repairs then resurface. What kind of costs too?

The road services about 10 houses, is straight and on a gentle incline and wide enough for a car and a half.

Total area is about 350 sq m

Cheers

All bitumen products to increase in price before the end of the month. This due to the increase in fuel/crude oil. I would also imagine delivery rates will increase. This could see the M2 rate of a job increasing by anything up to €5 you could be well looking at €23+ per m2 for 50mm of sma

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Nicolas_Bandon

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of getting my driveway tarmac'ed. My driveway is 400sqm.
    Can anyone recommend a company in the Cork area?
    Excuse my total ignorance but what is the difference between tar & chip, tarmac, asphalt and SMA?
    What would be the cost of laying tar & chip, tarmac, asphalt or SMA?

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of getting my driveway tarmac'ed. My driveway is 400sqm.
    Can anyone recommend a company in the west Cork area?
    Excuse my total ignorance but what is the difference between tar & chip, tarmac, asphalt and SMA?
    What would be the cost of laying tar & chip, tarmac, asphalt or SMA

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kilbeg1

Hi,

Anyone know of a reputable tarmac contractor in the west wicklow/carlow direction

Ring your local tarmac/asphalt suppliers for recommendations, even still Caveat emptor. Send me on the quotes and I will pick the bones out of them for you, always get a quote in writing!!

Ring your local tarmac/asphalt suppliers for recommendations, even still Caveat emptor. Send me on the quotes and I will pick the bones out of them for you, always get a quote in writing!!

I got 3 quotes for a 400m2 driveway:
    Ideal Driveways and Patios: €4500 for tar & chip, €8000 for tarmacadam
    Walsh & O'Mahony: €8285 for tarmacadam
    RCM tarmacadam: €5448 for tar & chip, €7814 for tarmacadam

All prices are vat inc.
    How long will tar & chip and tarmacadam last?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭tradesman

I got 3 quotes for a 400m2 driveway:
    Ideal Driveways and Patios: €4500 for tar & chip, €8000 for tarmacadam
    Walsh & O'Mahony: €8285 for tarmacadam
    RCM tarmacadam: €5448 for tar & chip, €7814 for tarmacadam

All prices are vat inc.
    How long will tar & chip and tarmacadam last?

Does this include the base preparation or onto an already prepared bsse?

tradesman wrote: »
    Does this include the base preparation or onto an already prepared bsse?

There is already a hardcore surface on our driveway.

The quotes include:
    - grade ground as required
    - drainage where necessary
    - fit cast iron gullys
    - supply & lay of blinding, weedkiller and tar&chip or tarmacadam (50mm finish)

• Advertisement

There is already a hardcore surface on our driveway.

The quotes include:
    - grade ground as required
    - drainage where necessary
    - fit cast iron gullys
    - supply & lay of blinding, weedkiller and tar&chip or tarmacadam (50mm finish)

A picture or two would help.
    Is the work being done by machine or hand lay?
    Whats the make up of the drainage soak holes in lawn or connect to existing? Weeds?? Teat these yourself at least you know they are done.
    Forget about tar and chip.
    How much sma in total are they laying over the 400m2.

Advertisement