Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbridge Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭whampiri

Hi

I live in Roseberry Hill. I am not sure if the new estate You are mentioning has been given a name yet, but I believe that the entire estate has been deemed for social housing.

Thanks for that. Seems like a big estate. Pity they haven't looked to integrate the housing with non social housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

whampiri wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Seems like a big estate. Pity they haven't looked to integrate the housing with non social housing.

That estate has ( I believe ) only 84 houses in it.

However, there are plans for something like 400 houses to be built in the field directly opposite Sarsfields Entrance and that goes right around RH. However, there are issues to be resolved first...water pressure and infrastructure.

ladyella wrote: »
    I was speaking to a resident and was just coming on to post this.
    Although why they picked the week before school starts back to begin it is beyond me, unless they'll be finished by then

Nearly 2 months down the road and still ongoing. Beyond a joke now.

PS: Newbridge chat thread has had no entries for over 2 weeks, just trying to re-start the ball rolling ^___^

• Registered Users Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Nearly 2 months down the road and still ongoing. Beyond a joke now.

PS: Newbridge chat thread has had no entries for nearly 2 months, just trying to re-start the ball rolling ^___^

Yeah, a complete disaster. Sometimes I get a later train home but even at 7.30pm, the traffic around the town is crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Damien360

Yeah, a complete disaster. Sometimes I get a later train home but even at 7.30pm, the traffic around the town is crap.

The lights at the credit union have been an issue for years and it is getting worse. No sequencing with lights down town further at post office, pedestrian at Eddies or on bridge.

The lights near Lidl are now a problem as people are queuing to turn into industrial estate from dunnes side and further on lights at athgarvan road cannot handle the volume from athgarvan road if turning for bridge or whitewater which most actually do. No problems if going on to Dunnes. These 2 effect the road coming in from Keadeen on Saturday especially and in turn the green road as nobody can get out of the junction. Imagine if the Aldi got it's permission opposite McLoughlins behind the Indian !

Not a single light is in sequence. Stop start stop start.

• Advertisement

Damien360 wrote: »
    The lights at the credit union have been an issue for years and it is getting worse. No sequencing with lights down town further at post office, pedestrian at Eddies or on bridge.

The lights near Lidl are now a problem as people are queuing to turn into industrial estate from dunnes side and further on lights at athgarvan road cannot handle the volume from athgarvan road if turning for bridge or whitewater which most actually do. No problems if going on to Dunnes. These 2 effect the road coming in from Keadeen on Saturday especially and in turn the green road as nobody can get out of the junction. Imagine if the Aldi got it's permission opposite McLoughlins behind the Indian !

Not a single light is in sequence. Stop start stop start.

Spot on - no flow whatsoever. Industrial estate short cut getting popular now. Trying to turn right at Green Road is a nightmare - had to do it last Saturday....

Spot on - no flow whatsoever. Industrial estate short cut getting popular now. Trying to turn right at Green Road is a nightmare - had to do it last Saturday....

And You know nothing will be done unless there is an election called and the td's will be out looking for votes. Or they just might have it done week before Xmas when the town is gridlocked....oh wait that's almost every Saturday afternoon now:-)

And You know nothing will be done unless there is an election called and the td's will be out looking for votes. Or they just might have it done week before Xmas when the town is gridlocked....oh wait that's almost every Saturday afternoon now:-)

Have to say the traffic up the town today was particularly bad. Yes it was a terribly wet day, but coming back from Kildare Town and seeing the queue back past the Lions sign ( before the Maxol garage ) is ridiculous.

Wouldn't like to be a shopkeeper in the town, all that potential footfall sitting in queues trying to get into Newbridge. And this was only middle of October....

Desperate this afternoon. I came back from Portlaoise and was stuck in that tailback. Then had to drop kids to Lakeside Park and Moorefield Park so was a frustrating stop/start experience.

Desperate this afternoon. I came back from Portlaoise and was stuck in that tailback. Then had to drop kids to Lakeside Park and Moorefield Park so was a frustrating stop/start experience.

I gave up, did a U turn headed out to the Curragh and cut across country to get home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Had a nice red mountain bike stolen from the RR Station this Thur-11/Fri-12 Oct.
    Red frame, small adult size, with disc brakes. The 8 mm chain was cut, which was substantially stronger than other locks in the shed.
    PM appreciated if anyone sees such abandoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

Roadtoad wrote: »
    Had a nice red mountain bike stolen from the RR Station this Thur-11/Fri-12 Oct.
    Red frame, small adult size, with disc brakes. The 6 mm chain was cut, which was substantially stronger than other locks in the shed.

Keep an eye on done deal. Hopefully you have the serial number so it can be identified if recovered.

If you replace the bike, be sure to register the new serial number with them

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭RTighe

Roadtoad wrote: »
    Red frame, small adult size, with disc brakes. The 8 mm chain was cut, which was substantially stronger than other locks in the shed.

Kildare crime and alerts FB page would be handy to post onto as well

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Do you think a few roundabouts might help? I'm not a driver so it wouldn't be my area of expertise, but it couldn't be worse that the current situation! There are 6 sets of lights between McLoughlin's and the Post Office on a stretch that's only 1.2 km long, and you've also got the entrance to the Whitewater and Henry Street joining the Main Street at Neeson's to contend with.

I go through two sets of traffic light going to work (on my bike) and they never sync up because something simple like a person pressing the pedestrian button at one set of lights changes the sequence, or if a car is or isn't turning right at the Morristown lights (for example) determines whether the filter light comes on, again knocking the sequence out of sync...if it had been originally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

In general, lights have replaced roundabouts because they better regulate the flow. Issue seems to be not enough forethought has gone into the sequencing.

All this serves to do is highlight the need for the completed Liffey Hall junction and road to/from Great Connell to take some traffic out of the town

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

Kildare Country Council have an unsavoury fetish for traffic lights. Naas, Newbridge, Kildare have been systematically ruined by them. Compare with Portlaoise example, that's how it should be done.

Do you think a few roundabouts might help? I'm not a driver so it wouldn't be my area of expertise, but it couldn't be worse that the current situation! There are 6 sets of lights between McLoughlin's and the Post Office on a stretch that's only 1.2 km long, and you've also got the entrance to the Whitewater and Henry Street joining the Main Street at Neeson's to contend with.

I go through two sets of traffic light going to work (on my bike) and they never sync up because something simple like a person pressing the pedestrian button at one set of lights changes the sequence, or if a car is or isn't turning right at the Morristown lights (for example) determines whether the filter light comes on, again knocking the sequence out of sync...if it had been originally.

Putting in roundabouts would be more disruptive now. Simply addressing the sequencing would help quite a bit. Interminably long delays in roadworks really don't help either. Further on, at least they put a filter light by the Liffey Hall entrance which is of benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Magilla Gorilla

GavMan wrote: »
    In general, lights have replaced roundabouts because they better regulate the flow. Issue seems to be not enough forethought has gone into the sequencing.

I think this is wrong for two reasons-
    1. So many Irish drivers fail to indicate (or indicate incorrectly) that traffic that could keep moving has to slow down/stop to make sure where the other driver is going.
    2. The roundabout at Lidl Naas shows what happens when traffic coming from the minor road (ring road) gets priority over the main road (traffic back to Jigginstown every evening and for large parts of the day).

In my opinion, Newbridge is perfectly laid out for a one-way system- I don't understand why it is not in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

As far as i'm aware none of the lights on the main road via Newbridge work on sensors, they are just on a set sequence so have no ability to adjust.

The Cutlery road should be one way in the opposite direction and access to the white water car park on the cutlery road should have never been granted permission. Same with the entrance to Mcdonalds and tescos - there shouldn't be traffic lights installed to facilitate retail outlets - it's a joke.

The road that runs behind Mcdonalds and Finlays should be made one way, from the town end outwards.

tossy wrote: »
    As far as i'm aware none of the lights on the main road via Newbridge work on sensors, they are just on a set sequence so have no ability to adjust.

The Cutlery road should be one way in the opposite direction and access to the white water car park on the cutlery road should have never been granted permission. Same with the entrance to Mcdonalds and tescos - there shouldn't be traffic lights installed to facilitate retail outlets - it's a joke.

The road that runs behind Mcdonalds and Finlays should be made one way, from the town end outwards.

Agreed. Kildare Town was destroyed by adding multiple sets of traffic lights for the benefit of Tesco and I'll bet the same mistake will be made for the development at Magee Barracks.

• Advertisement

NedNew2 wrote: »

Agreed. Kildare Town was destroyed by adding multiple sets of traffic lights for the benefit of Tesco and I'll bet the same mistake will be made for the development at Magee Barracks.
    Kildare town is destroyed not because of the lights but because of the parking on main street. It is vastly better than it was pre-motorway but still gets stuck when a truck and bus meet on main street.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

That used to be the main road through the town, years ago.

Here's a map with modern and old maps overlapping. (McLoughlin's garage in the bottom left and (almost) the social welfare office/old Credit Union in the top right).

Old%20Main%20Road_zpstehmtt45.jpg

http://map.geohive.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

That used to be the main road through the town, years ago.

Here's a map with modern and old maps overlapping. (McLoughlin's garage in the bottom left and (almost) the social welfare office/old Credit Union in the top right).

Old%20Main%20Road_zpstehmtt45.jpg

http://map.geohive.ie/

Thst's asking for a log in..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Most, if not all, of the lights in Kildare town are on sensors. I've never had to wait long. The only issues that cause delays in Kildare are the narrow main street and people parking carelessly or illegally, thus making it difficult for larger vehicles such as buses and trucks to get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Plans for a new library in Newbridge discussed at KCC meeting. Anybody know anything about it?

I think this is wrong for two reasons-
    1. So many Irish drivers fail to indicate (or indicate incorrectly) that traffic that could keep moving has to slow down/stop to make sure where the other driver is going.
    2. The roundabout at Lidl Naas shows what happens when traffic coming from the minor road (ring road) gets priority over the main road (traffic back to Jigginstown every evening and for large parts of the day).

In my opinion, Newbridge is perfectly laid out for a one-way system- I don't understand why it is not in place.

So right there. I see it almost every time I approach the roundabout outside the college...some ( not all ) people seem to think they have a divine right to drive straight across the roundabout ( coming from the bridge/College) not even bothering to see if there are vehicles turning right from the back road. And all because of lack of indication.

I'm amazed there hasn't been a big accident at that roundabout at the college. Coming from tankards garden side is taking a serious risk some days. Cars fly through without slowing down from bridge side.

Damien360 wrote: »
    I'm amazed there hasn't been a big accident at that roundabout at the college. Coming from tankards garden side is taking a serious risk some days. Cars fly through without slowing down from bridge side.

Wish they would build a 1 foot wall around the 'roundabout' - that would slow everyone down and respect both the roundabout and those who use it.

Wish they would build a wall around the 'roundabout' - that would slow everyone down and respect both the roundabout and those who use it.

A 100mm kerb would sort that problem quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

A 100mm kerb would sort that problem quickly.

Had to go to the vet in Hawkfield last Thursday, had to stop outside the college as a bus was trying to turn around on the round about. A kerb wouldn't have enabled it to turn around. Make it larger though, so a bus can turn in one go.

Advertisement