Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hollow Knight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Getting better at Mantis Lords. They take a lot of hits though and I inevitably mess up. I met someone who suggested visiting a city where I can upgrade my nail. Is that a big trek? I reckon if I could increase my damage output I'd have this. Also, do you have to buy the mask fragments or are they there to be found in the world? I've only got three, two of which where definitely bought and I think I may have also bought the third one. Still only 5 mask lifebar although I have the lifeblood charm equipped. Should my HP bar be bigger at this stage?

Hit them when they are just floating to the side of the platform after they dash attack you. Just go for two hits. The rest of the time just dodge.

I used this map to find a few collectibles I missed.

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/937186534572002861/C2B665B18C4B8EC4D429D02FD53C2DAD358A8F86/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Getting better at Mantis Lords. They take a lot of hits though and I inevitably mess up. I met someone who suggested visiting a city where I can upgrade my nail. Is that a big trek? I reckon if I could increase my damage output I'd have this. Also, do you have to buy the mask fragments or are they there to be found in the world? I've only got three, two of which where definitely bought and I think I may have also bought the third one. Still only 5 mask lifebar although I have the lifeblood charm equipped. Should my HP bar be bigger at this stage?

Think the masks can be found too. I found the mantis Lords tough and went elsewhere and levelled up further, much easier when I returned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

sweetie wrote: »
    Think the masks can be found too. I found the mantis Lords tough and went elsewhere and levelled up further, much easier when I returned.

Yeah, think I'll have to do same. The NPC I met told me to level up the nail before taking them on so I would take that as being the intended way of dealing with them. Just need to find the Smith now! It really is a fantastic game and under €15 for the base game and all the DLC packs is a bargain.

So satisfying beating a Boss that initially seemed impossible. Couldn't find the Smith so ended up taking down Mantis Lords with unupgraded nail. Took a while. Great boss. Great game. Better than I thought it would be.

Just finished it last night. Only got 56% percent completion after 19 hours. Enjoyable all around.

• Advertisement

Just finished it last night. Only got 56% percent completion after 19 hours. Enjoyable all around.

Is that including all of the expansions? I expected it to be longer for some reason. Not that I'm complaining. Quality over quantity and all that.

I arrived in City of Tears. Found the Smith. Turned it off at Royal Waterways. Not before discovering some nice shortcuts in the City. Brilliant level design.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Took me about 38h for 83% complete.

It's amazing value

Screw Soul Master. Thought fight was over only for a fourth phase to kick off when I ran to the Jacks. Don't know if it's genius or cheap.

And he's down. This has to be the only platformer that's made my heart pound the way Souls and Bloodborne combat does. Addictive game. Have the ground pound ability now. Sweet.

After getting past Dung Defender. The Royal Waterways is a scary place. Enemies in there are a pain in the arse. Always lose a few masks on them.

In relation to the 4 DLC packs. Are these in game or separate from the main campaign entirely? If the former, do you come across them naturally during gameplay or is there some obscure way of gaining access.

Probably sound like a broken record but the game is fantastic. It really is a joy to play. Up there with God of War for my favourite game of 2018.

I'm not sure. I assume the dlc's are part of the game already.

Did anyone else not really use any of advanced nail techniques in combat? I used the regular slash the whole way through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭Glebee

Going to reinstall this and give it one more go. Was really enjoying it but became completely stuck at the Watcher Knight Boss. No matter what I did I could not beat him. Hes going to be even harder now that Ive taken a break from the game and forget the map/game play.:(

Glebee wrote: »
    Going to reinstall this and give it one more go. Was really enjoying it but became completely stuck at the Watcher Knight Boss. No matter what I did I could not beat him. Hes going to be even harder now that Ive taken a break from the game and forget the map/game play.:(

Dash charm or keep jumping against the wall and landing on their heads for nail jumps.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Dash charm or keep jumping against the wall and landing on their heads for nail jumps.

Its fcuking impossible..... Agghhhhhhhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Glebee wrote: »
    Its fcuking impossible..... Agghhhhhhhhhh

Shadow Dash is a really necessary charm to beat some of the last bosses inc. the Watcher Knights and Traitor Lord

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Shadow Dash is a really necessary charm to beat some of the last bosses inc. the Watcher Knights and Traitor Lord

Went to see could I get the shadow dash charm, but the hornet battle is killing me now. Maybe this game is not for me.:( I cant understand though that Im so far in (played 15hrs) and suddenly just hit a wall..

How is everyone so far in after 15 hours and finishing in 19? I'm over 38 hours in and still have 19 bosses to go, not including dream ones, just counted after seeing above messages. I've wandered around lost for ages admittedly but not that long. Just acquired crystal heart and taking on broken vessel at the moment. Still places I can't reach as I can't double jump or anything.

How is everyone so far in after 15 hours and finishing in 19? I'm over 38 hours in and still have 19 bosses to go, not including dream ones, just counted after seeing above messages. I've wandered around lost for ages admittedly but not that long. Just acquired crystal heart and taking on broken vessel at the moment. Still places I can't reach as I can't double jump or anything.

Probably not exploring as much, missing lots of charms and collectables, missing a few bosses and not getting all nail upgrades?

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Probably not exploring as much, missing lots of charms and collectables, missing a few bosses and not getting all nail upgrades?

Suppose. Seems extreme time difference all the same. Maybe I'm just really really bad at the game haha and dying a lot. I only have 18 charms!

I got around half the charms and mostly went straight for whatever I thought would progress me further. I have a bad habit of getting bored of games and not finishing them so tend to rush through them whilst the mechanics are still interesting. I must have gotten lucky with the directions I decided to go. I only had serious trouble with two bosses; the mantis lords and the final boss. You guys need to git gud :pac:

You guys need to git gud :pac:

Haha yep, that's true. I am genuinely bad at games despite being my favourite pass time. Very slow to learn. Why I hate PVP in general though I love the PVE. When I find a game I enjoy I do tend to focus on that and not much else. Played all Souls/Borne games exclusively for over a year. I enjoy the challenge!

Just acquired the moth wings (double jump). Taking on the dream variant of Broken Vessel now. Tough one. Few more places to get to now I have this ability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

On the verge of buying this as it's 7 quid on PSN. Only thing that's stopping me is the look of salt and sanctuary which I couldn't get into at all. People on here find it better than that?

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    On the verge of buying this as it's 7 quid on PSN. Only thing that's stopping me is the look of salt and sanctuary which I couldn't get into at all. People on here find it better than that?

Much much better. S&S was frustrating for me but Hollow Knight is brilliant. Very challenging but not cheaply so. Beautiful art style and soundtrack as well. For €7 it's well worth it as you get the DLC included on the PS4 release.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Oh it's a different level to S&S. Much different kind of game.

Good enough for me, add to basket :)

Just started it, jumped down a well, came across a huge ****er who looked like a boss compared to the yokes I had been fighting, beat him and freed a slug. Dunno wtf is going on but I'm intrigued :)

I keep expecting the clumps of stuff that falls out of enemies to move to me as I get close to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

That'll happen soon... keep playing. :o

I thought this was going the Celeste route of 'fall in some spikes? Don't worry, insta restart on the same screen' and then I after a few times I was sent back to the bench with the enemies respawned :(

I need to figure out how my health and life works!

Also, I had saved a slug past the big guy, so I have to save him again or is it one and done? Don't want to fight that guy again if I don't have to.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I thought this was going the Celeste route of 'fall in some spikes? Don't worry, insta restart on the same screen' and then I after a few times I was sent back to the bench with the enemies respawned :(

I need to figure out how my health and life works!

Also, I had saved a slug past the big guy, so I have to save him again or is it one and done? Don't want to fight that guy again if I don't have to.

It's like Dark Souls in terms of story telling and in that key actions you do save automatically so no, you won't have to free slug again. Benches are bonfires and like Dark Souls enemies reset when you rest. You can bounce on spikes by the way. Enjoy it man, it's a fantastic game.

I've been playing ori and the blind forest recently. Very similar to this. A bit closer to a platformer though than hollow Knight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Picked up this again there for an hour and yet again achieved absolutely nothing. Is there a suggested order to tackle the areas or something? Only ability I have unlocked at the moment is the dash.

I keep wandering around trying to find the map dude but can never find him. Stumble on something interesting then and think 'great, I'll mark that on my map' only to open the map to a big black void.

Nice looking game and all and I'm about 6 hours in but not sure I could be arsed now. Enjoyed Ori so much more than this so far.

Advertisement