Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurling Banter Page and Buff Egan Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Just to play Devil's advocate- there are an awful lot of people in Dublin whom I know that are not affiliated with any club yet still support Dublin and go to see Dublin play. Are they not true GAA people?

do they go around moaning about not getting an All Ireland ticket because they have gone to county games all over the country? Plenty of people follow county only, thats fine. But still and all, GAA starts and ends with club. Players dont magically appear on county teams, you start with your club and finish with your club. Buff goes on like he is some sort of hero for the common man going to all these games, yet he wont even go watch his own club play a county final. And if the reason commented on here is true, then its a totally ridiculous reason to completely ignore your own club.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Cracking end to the Kerry county final yesterday full of drama, wouldn't have seen a tap of it only for Buff. He does need to lay off the dramatics about tickets etc but his snaps of games are brilliant, I hope he keeps it up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭elefant

Just to play Devil's advocate- there are an awful lot of people in Dublin whom I know that are not affiliated with any club yet still support Dublin and go to see Dublin play. Are they not true GAA people?

Why aren't they associated with a club?

I'm sure there must be exceptions, but I don't know a single passionate GAA fan who isn't associated with a club.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Slipperydodger

bruschi wrote: »
    I don't follow him so wouldn't know, but if that's the reason that he doesn't even go to his own club when they play in a county final, then he isn't worthy of any ticket. A true hurling man. Yeah. Gaa starts and ends with your club.

In fairness to Buff he attended numerous games in the first round of the Cork SHC. A lot of members of the clubs playing didnt even attend.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

In fairness to Buff he attended numerous games in the first round of the Cork SHC. A lot of members of the clubs playing didnt even attend.

thats great. Think the point is being lost here.

Buff has a self proclaimed hero element to him that he thinks he is entitled to a ticket to the All Ireland final. I've many issues about him and the way he does things, but with regards to this, he could have got tickets if he really wanted to. But it seems it was better for him to retweet all his followers up in arms over the injustice that poor buff, the big hurling man, couldnt even get a ticket. The fact that he wouldnt go watch his own club play in a county final, despite him being this great hurling man, would annoy me. He'll go watch Clare and Cork club games, but wont even go watch his own club. Buff plays for the crowd the whole time. If the movement of his followers is for one thing or another, he'll do the populist thing. He has a massive following and huge potential to make something decent, but will never manage it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Someone in buffs position has fantastic potential to get more into match reporting and broadcasting, He just needs a little work, and some PR work

Firstly he goes to all these games and does snapchats of them, that's great and for 24 hours I can catch-up on that, but then it's gone, Imagine if he started to take all these snaps and put them into 1 video on Youtube, or just do one video report, Call it Buffs reports, Imagine each county embedding his video. more exposure.

Or why not do a short written report and sell it to papers, he's going to games that are often not very well covered both visually or in written reports

He needs to drop his attitude of me Vrs them, he often compares himself to the 2Johnnies or Rorys stories , I've no idea why..
    For the GAA or even small outlet to look at him seriously he's gotta get rid of the chip on his shoulder and have a bit of cop on.. also tone down he'd antics a little.. Park near the other reporters and build a report..

Kids love him and he does help the game but he does himself a lot of harm, especially when at big games and people around him just want to watch the game

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

His potential is huge he could clean up if he’d the cuteness to play the system .
    I was at a Cork game last year, he was plagued for autographs and photos. An All Ireland winner was a few seats away but nobody even approached him. Buff is recognised more than most

Companies would be slow to be associated as he could come out and say something very offensive. Plus his IRA talk etc

If he played the system he could get plenty perks and make a nice career for himself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

I've been very supportive of buff in this thread but there's no denying he's a bit of a head-the-ball. I could never see him holding down a real proper role with any company, he's too much of a loose cannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭corner back 2

dulux99 wrote: »
    I've been very supportive of buff in this thread but there's no denying he's a bit of a head-the-ball. I could never see him holding down a real proper role with any company, he's too much of a loose cannon.

Probably true but maybe that's what endears him to some people. Head-the-balls in every club in the country. Don't do Snapchat and very annoyed with the wife who watched the Kerry coverage without me!

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Super tipp club hurling footage yesterday fair play to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

In cork then today for the semis
    Fair coverage for someone not getting a penny

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

benji79 wrote: »
    In cork then today for the semis
    Fair coverage for someone not getting a penny

He's getting something out of it if not money.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭cms88

I'm surprised he wasn't at the Longford county final. Would feed his ego even more by the comments he'd get

On another rant this evening over the game in OZ. While i agree it's a bit of a waste oftime, as one person said to him if he was offered a ticket he'd be the first man over there.

Also asking how much Marty was being paid :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

cms88 wrote: »
    On another rant this evening over the game in OZ. While i agree it's a bit of a waste oftime, as one person said to him if he was offered a ticket he'd be the first man over there.

Hopefully it was a one way ticket Marty got

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

if he annoys you so much why the hell to you check his social media?
    makes no sense

• Registered Users Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭elefant

Of all the criticisms aimed at Buff Egan, his perceived likelihood to accept a theoretical free ticket to Australia is up there with the best.

sc86 wrote: »
    if he annoys you so much why the hell to you check his social media?
    makes no sense

I don't it was shared by someone else

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭BobBobBobBob

No company would touch Buffy, they couldn't be associated with his IRA comments!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Does anyone know if Buff has a job?

He must spend a fortune going round to all the games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

From youtube: Hurling as seen through an Americans eyes ...

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Does anyone know if Buff has a job?

He must spend a fortune going round to all the games.
    Think his a farmer

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭rpurfield

A two year old thread dug up with a really insightful comment. Buff must have crossed you at some stage :D

thanks for the reply. yeah I'd the misfortune of sitting at the same table as him at a function recently (50 people covid regulations) well maybe closer to 65 , you know yourself, a very sarcastic and hateful individual, maybe he was having a bad day. tried talking to him about just trival stuff but he was having none of it , a few of the other guests had similar encounters with him.

have a great day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Did he tell you he was a virgin ?

maybe he found you rude and didnt want to engage with you ?

that probably was it

• Registered Users Posts: 38,271 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Anyone know is Buff Egan ok health wise ? He's looks very thin recently from his social media

Whatever peoples opinions are of him, you do hope that he is well

• Registered Users Posts: 14,561 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Funny you say that. Saw the photo of him and Anthony Daly’s daughter and he looked disgustingly gaunt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

I thought it was just me but he definitely doesn't look great the last few weeks. He's gone shook looking for sure

Advertisement