Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the best house alarm system?

Options
  • 08-12-2019 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Kaldo

Hey guys,

Just checking alarms systems. However I honestly have not clue where to start: There are wired, wireless, monitored and non-monitored alarms.

Monitored alarms have a monthly fee which I'm just wondering if it is something I can save :-) (I've been checking companies charging 300-400 € per annum!)

Any advice, I would appreciate it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,947 ✭✭✭Monokne

Hey

I recently went with mod snip

The installation was quick & painless, the fella who did it was nice, friendly & efficient.

I have had trouble getting used to having an alarm and am constantly setting it off by mistake. Which is a pain, but every time I do, I get a phone call instantly so that means they are obviously monitoring tightly.

Mod snip- see the charter promotion of businesses

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭kub

Hi OP,

You are much better off from a long term financial point of view and indeed a contract one, just to pay out for the installation of a system of which you will own once it is installed.
    Yes it is a big lump but you will have your money back within 24/ 36 months depending on the quantity of equipment required for a proper security system.

Yes there are indeed wired/ wireless options out there, the wired is the best but your home would ideally need to be already wired for an alarm system.

If not then the way to go is wireless.

The system that is recommended by those of us in the security industry who are not in the business of tying people into long term contracts is a periemter type system, whereby all of your vulnerable doors and windows are fitted with inertia shock sensors and contacts with a few beams in common areas in the home such as hallways, landings etc.
    With that type of system, you can move around fully within the home with the system on and the beams in a sleep mode at night.
    Also should some toe rag attempt to break in, then the system will have activated before he actually manages to get in.

Of course there is a world of notification / monitoring options available to you, this is where you have to decide what suits you best, i would recommend professional monitoring.
    This will have an ongoing cost associated with it, but on a system you actually own then it will be a lot less than 30 E a month.

I would add to what Kub said - some of the systems that you pay for monthly never allow you to own the equipment so be sure to ask if you go with one of them.

I went with the company I did as when the contract is up in 3 years, I own the system. I don't have any particular need to have it monitored, I decided to go for that as pricing up the cost of paying for a system outright was in or around the €1000 as it was, and paying €30 a month for 36 months was €1080 so seemed worthwhile to pay a small bit extra to a) spread out the cost & b) deter potential threats by having a box on the front of the house of a monitored alarm company.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Kaldo

Monokne wrote: »
    I would add to what Kub said - some of the systems that you pay for monthly never allow you to own the equipment so be sure to ask if you go with one of them.

I went with the company I did as when the contract is up in 3 years, I own the system. I don't have any particular need to have it monitored, I decided to go for that as pricing up the cost of paying for a system outright was in or around the €1000 as it was, and paying €30 a month for 36 months was €1080 so seemed worthwhile to pay a small bit extra to a) spread out the cost & b) deter potential threats by having a box on the front of the house of a monitored alarm company.

What about having a dummy burglar alarm box outside :D?

The wife wouldn't go for that :p

• Advertisement

Monokne wrote: »
    The wife wouldn't go for that :p

:D

Anyway, the idea of paying a monitored system decrease the home insurance afterwards however I was thinking to self-monitored myself.

I've been checking some videos last night about DIY alarm system and some look pretty awesome: small invisible cameras on the front doors, etc. The main issue would be to have wifi on connected.

Not sure if I can share some here in the forum.

I have a couple of the Neo's security cameras on the front and back of my house, they do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭riddles

A HKC wireless alarm for a four bed detached seems to be 1700 - 1900€ with an ongoing 10€ a month fee self monitoring.

Is this an accurate statement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

riddles wrote: »
    A HKC wireless alarm for a four bed detached seems to be 1700 - 1900€ with an ongoing 10€ a month fee self monitoring.

The self monitoring fee is only a fiver or so

The self monitoring fee is only a fiver or so
    It appears the installers add on a top up for themselves

• Advertisement

The cost of a system would depend on the quantity of devices needed and the appropriate risk level required.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Just on the discount on home insurance...if you do put on your insurance remember you will have to have to have it on all the time. If you forget to alarm the house at any stage and are broken into some insurance companies can try to wiggle out of paying out because the alarm wasn’t activated..
    Happened to a neighbor of mine recently. He had only gone to collect kids from school when someone smashed back window and made off with laptop ,handbag and an iPad ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

It appears the installers add on a top up for themselves

I get billed by HKC directly and it's €5.53 a month

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Wired was just 1100 and five fifty a month installed last week.
    With 2 motion sensors and a dummy box.
    Two contacts had to be wireless

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Wired was just 1100 and five fifty a month installed last week.
    With 2 motion sensors and a dummy box.
    Two contacts had to be wireless

Yeah the self monitoring makes much more sense. The HKC system is rock solid.
    As above the insurance company discount isn’t worth the risk of the insurance company refusing to pay out just because you forgot to set the alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

So got a quote off a family friend for the following @ €1k. Just wondering if its actually a good price. It is HKC wireless.

-Panel with wireless app component
    -2 x Motion Sensors
    -Contacts/Shock sensors (its two windows and 2 doors - ground floor only so not sure how many sensors are used)
    -External sounder

PCros wrote: »
    So got a quote off a family friend for the following @ €1k. Just wondering if its actually a good price. It is HKC wireless.

-Panel with wireless app component
    -2 x Motion Sensors
    -4 x Contacts/Shock sensors (ground floor only)
    -External sounder

As above our local fella doing
    Panel with app
    20 wired sensor
    2 wireless sensor
    2 wired motion sensor
    Box and decoy box
    1100 inc VAT

He has got a lot of work from the auld fella and reckons this is his very best price.

As above our local fella doing
    Panel with app
    20 wired sensor
    2 wireless sensor
    2 wired motion sensor
    Box and decoy box
    1100 inc VAT

He has got a lot of work from the auld fella and reckons this is his very best price.

Is he anywhere near the midlands and if so could you PM the details? thx

Is he anywhere near the midlands and if so could you PM the details? thx

Nah he covers kinda north Dublin and south meath. not big on travelling

• Registered Users Posts: 21 vipulpopat

Can you please share the details.
    I am planning to buy YALE or Ring security system but i need it to be monitored,
    I do not know if HKC can support monitoring on either of the two systems above ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

PCros wrote: »

On the home security forum, the usual advice is to get quotes from three different installers. Lots of installers do HKC systems, so would be easy to get like for like quotes.

If going HKC I'd make sure that the communicator is the one that works over both wifi and 3g and not older outdated communicators.
    vipulpopat wrote: »
    Can you please share the details.
    I am planning to buy YALE or Ring security system but i need it to be monitored,
    I do not know if HKC can support monitoring on either of the two systems above ?

Neither Yale or Ring support third party monitoring. Though you can do self monitoring with an app with these systems.

HKC is a completely separate home alarm system. It doesn't work with Yale/Ring, they are separate and competing systems. HKC is a system usually installed by professionals installers and probably the most popular system in Ireland (they are made in Ireland).

HKC can be set up for self monitoring only at a cost of about €60 to €70 per year and you can also opt to add third party monitoring on top of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

bk wrote: »
    HKC can be set up for self monitoring only at a cost of about €60 to €70 per year and you can also opt to add third party monitoring on top of that.

Please excuse my ignorance, as I too am in the same boat as the OP but haven't a clue about alarms.

Would appreciate your explanation.

When you say self monitoring - does this mean I pay for an app or something which alerts me?!

When you say monitored - does this mean I pay a fee to a company who will alert me of an intrusion? What sort of price does this normally cost? Also, I'm pretty sure a friend of a friend is an alarm installer I was recommended. I will probably get our alarm installed by him, would it be straight forward enough to have HKC monitor this alarm?

Thanks for any input

Bandito909 wrote: »
    Please excuse my ignorance, as I too am in the same boat as the OP but haven't a clue about alarms.

Would appreciate your explanation.

When you say self monitoring - does this mean I pay for an app or something which alerts me?!

When you say monitored - does this mean I pay a fee to a company who will alert me of an intrusion? What sort of price does this normally cost? Also, I'm pretty sure a friend of a friend is an alarm installer I was recommended. I will probably get our alarm installed by him, would it be straight forward enough to have HKC monitor this alarm?

Thanks for any input

Hi, HKC do not monitor alarm Systems, they are a manufacturer based in Dublin who to be fair, produce excellent quality equipment.
    They also have a server which relays signals from GSM / Wifi communicators which they themselves manufacturer.

The GSM / Wifi unit can be set up for self notification and control from mobile devices. It can also be set up for professional monitoring, which if one if serious about security is the best form of notification.

Professional monitoring is set up by professional installers who are licensed by the PSA.

Yale / Ring and those type of self install's are more for convenience and for home automation, professionally speaking and eventhough they have fancy bells and whistles, they would not be my choice for a proper security system.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

kub wrote: »
    It can also be set up for professional monitoring, which if one if serious about security is the best form of notification.

What are the benefits over self monitoring?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Mod note
    All please note that we are throwing all sorts of costs and naming companies a lot here.

Unfortunately we can't tell a shill from a genuine post.

So please post but leave out the business names.

Thank you

kub wrote: »
    You must have forgotten :

No, just wanted to hear your current thoughts on why pro monitoring is better than self.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Effects wrote: »
    No, just wanted to hear your current thoughts on why pro monitoring is better than self.

I have and had both in different forms
    The pro monitoring keep calling until they get you or a nominated contact, they will call the police too.

I'm happy with the regular self monitoring, but pro is definitely a level up IMO.

Hopefully that answers the question in the most general of terms

I've got both as well. At home I'm self monitoring but at work I pay monitored.
    Never had it triggered at home luckily.

At work it's gone off once, when someone left an external door open, so it was nice to get notified about that.
    It's also linked in to the smoke detectors, and I've had a few calls about that when it's been triggered by cooking.

For me anyway, I haven't found any benefits of paid over self monitoring.

As for the Garda being called. I thought they wouldn't attend until a contact had already been to the house or something?

Response times can be pretty slow a lot of the time anyway.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys.

Regarding to home insurance, if your alarm is self-monitored, it counts like a "Monitored Alarm" or this statement usually makes reference when the alarm is monitored by a third party company?

Advertisement