Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Actifry & AirFryer Thread - Merged

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I got the Daewoo one for €39 this morning in Supervalu. It's an impulse buy - I don't know where to start with it tbh. This thread made me do it! I may just use it for chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,155 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I got the Daewoo one for €39 this morning in Supervalu. It's an impulse buy - I don't know where to start with it tbh. This thread made me do it! I may just use it for chips.

This thread will help you out. I was an Air Fryer virgin until April '19. I have the same model more or less and use it for far more than just chips. With my food warmer and Air Fryer, Christmas buffets were simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭RubyGlee

I didn’t get one after. All sold out where I am. I’m a little disappointed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

RubyGlee wrote: »
    I didn’t get one after. All sold out where I am. I’m a little disappointed

There was air fryers in Lidl today for €39.99

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

I'd never heard of an air fryer before I saw these in Lidl today for €39.99. Are they both essentially the same product, apart from the capacity?

Is there any advantage to buying the first one, which has 3L capacity, vs the second one, which has 12L capacity?

I heard that they're as noisy as a vacuum cleaner. Is that true?

336265_02.jpg

301117.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Only the top picture is an airfryer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Casey78 wrote: »
    Only the top picture is an airfryer.

The manufacturer calls it a "Halogen Airwave Low Fat Air Fryer fryer" on Amazon

It seems better than the first one, because of the capacity and the transparency. Only drawback for me is that it seems to take up more counter space. Am I missing anything? Not sure why the two products are sold at the same price, unless there is an advantage to the first one that I'm not seeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,549 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Halogen ovens are completely different products. Slower and unsuited for certain things

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

A lot of those cheap halogen ovens suddenly appeared repackaged as airfryers when the airfryer thing took off a few years ago, its a bit pathetic tbh. How is something that cooks with the heat from a lamp in any way air frying?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,549 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Thargor wrote: »
    A lot of those cheap halogen ovens suddenly appeared repackaged as airfryers when the airfryer thing took off a few years ago, its a bit pathetic tbh. How is something that cooks with the heat from a lamp in any way air frying?

They have a circulation fan.

So does my normal oven :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭greasepalm

They all make noise due to moving parts = fan,one is spoilt for choice with all these machines.

Air fryers i love for doing my frozen chips and onion rings.

Halogen oven From JML years ago and can cook a roast chicken in 1 1/2 hrs.

Newest one is the Ninja Foodi which can pressure cook a chicken in something like 15 mins then use the air crisp to brown the bottom then the top

https://thesaltedpepper.com/instant-pot-whole-chicken/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Kat1170

greasepalm wrote: »

Halogen oven From JML years ago and can cook a roast chicken in 1 1/2 hrs.

That's longer than my normal fan oven :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Nearly instant warm up time with a halogen and whats warm up on an oven 5 - 10 mins as not used mine for a while + cheaper on power used. Things change over time as to where we cook things.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭hdl

Hi folks,

I'm thinking of venturing into the air fryer market for the first time, but confused by all the choices, so would love some opinions on these if anyone has any experience of them?

Family of 4 (2 adults, 2 young teens), but for the most part, schedules mean cooking is normally done for 2 at once, so it doesn't have to be huge. No specific requirements for what I'd want to cook in it really, but would like something easy to clean. The first three here are all similar in price, and the last one is cheaper - are the more expensive ones substantially better than the cheaper one, or would it do the same job?
    Thanks

Power

Ninja

Pro Breeze

Tower

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Theres a post a few pages back up the thread where some website tested them all and came to the conclusion that there is little to no difference between the various brands of airfryers so you're likely best to just go with the one that offers the best value for money, provided it is big enough for your family. Aldi/Lidi offer 3 year warranties on their units so that might be the best of all as you know they'll honour it should it break down. Ive a Philips Airfryer which I got for 90 in a Janruary sale but if it broke down in the morning Id be replacing it with the Power Airfryer for about 60

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

hdl wrote: »
    so it doesn't have to be huge.
    I would not call any of them huge, and would recommend the biggest you can find. If mine broke I would get the power one you linked. It was recommened on a US forum I was on, loads use it and are happy with it. Another in your link is said to be 0.5L larger but not all manufacturers sizing is the same. You should try and find youtube videos to gauge the size.

I would like to be able to fit an XL chicken comfortably in mine, or pizza

70 euro is a great deal for that, comes with six functions too
    The PAFBK3.2L Health Fryer offers six primary cooking functions – air-fry, grill, bake, sauté, roast and steam. It includes seven pre-programmed settings to cook all your dinnertime favourites at the ideal temperature for the exact time, including chicken, fish, steak, French fries and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭chrismcc409

Muahahaha wrote: »
    70 euro is a great deal for that, comes with six functions too

Sorry should have mentioned the price alright. Can't compare it with a Phillips as I've never had one but I'm happy with it so far although I've only done chicken and chips.

the "power" brand is popular in the US. If my philips breaks I still plan to get the 5L "power" one, not the smaller one which was linked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭chrismcc409

rubadub wrote: »
    the "power" brand is popular in the US. If my philips breaks I still plan to get the 5L "power" one, not the smaller one which was linked.

I've never had an airfryer before so didn't want to go all in for a 5 litre. Don't have much spare space and unfortunately not reduced. Think was 150. Probably be dying for a bigger one in a few weeks!

Roasted some broccoli in the airfryer last night, came out delicious and crunchy after only three minutes at 200c, any longer and it would have burnt.

I've never had an airfryer before so didn't want to go all in for a 5 litre. Don't have much spare space and unfortunately not reduced. Think was 150. Probably be dying for a bigger one in a few weeks!

The counter space needed for the bigger one isnt all that much more than the smaller one, perhaps 15 or 20% more space. I think the general rule is that if you're cooking for 1-2 people the smaller one will do fine and if 3-4 people the larger size would be better. It is possible to squeeze a small (1.3kg) chicken into the smaller one for reference.

Big airfryer in lidl
    https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/kitchen-deals/9-in-1-hot-air-fryer/p40038

332724_01.jpg

I wonder if it is like an airfryer, i.e. a high speed fan that results in faster cooking. It could just be a small regular oven.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

In an airfryer, can you pile things up in the basket and they cook evenly, or does it have to be in a single layer?

As in, does it really function like a deep fat fryer in terms of even cooking, or more like an oven?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭54and56

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Roasted some broccoli in the airfryer last night, came out delicious and crunchy after only three minutes at 200c, any longer and it would have burnt.

Did you drizzle it with anything? Oil/Soy Sauce/Batter?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

rubadub wrote: »
    Big airfryer in lidl
    https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/kitchen-deals/9-in-1-hot-air-fryer/p40038

332724_01.jpg

I wonder if it is like an airfryer, i.e. a high speed fan that results in faster cooking. It could just be a small regular oven.
    Damn, tempted to get that but cant find a review anywhere. Look at the accessories list:
    Extensive range of accessories:

3x baking and dehydrator trays, 1x large baking tray,

1x chicken rotisserie spear,

1x round rotating basket,

1x kebab set (includes 8 small skewers), 1x handle
    You could do a full rotisserie chicken in it? That would pay for itself after a few dinners. Plus baking. Theres also a rotating basket for things that need a lot of turning.

Im going to have to seriously think about this, Im still on the original Philips model since these threads started ages ago, its in a bit of a state after heavy use but still working perfectly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

In an airfryer, can you pile things up in the basket and they cook evenly, or does it have to be in a single layer?

As in, does it really function like a deep fat fryer in terms of even cooking, or more like an oven?

It depends on what you're cooking. Chips can be piled in but need to be shaken every so often to get them to cook evenly. It's basically an oven with air blasting the heat around.
    Home made chips cooked in it are really nice, but of course not exactly the same as deep fried. They're pretty close though.

• Advertisement

That Lidl airfryer looks like a hulk of a yolk, it more reminds me of those mini ovens that tight landlords buy to fulfill their obligations.

The rotisserie function for chicken and kebabs is interesting though, there is something delicious about rotisserie chickens that are constantly basted in their own fat and I had wondered if future versions of the Philips might have it. The only concern Id have with it over the Philips is that the chamber in it seems a hell of a lot bigger which would likely mean the cooking times in it are going to be longer, i.e. chips that take 12 mins in the Philips could take 18 mins in that version. Im obviously just speculating here but it would seem that might be the case to me, it would probably take longer to get up to temperature in the first place.

54and56 wrote: »
    Did you drizzle it with anything? Oil/Soy Sauce/Batter?

Yeah I normally put a bit of oil on a plate and dip the heads of broccoli in it then salt them before going in the airfryer. Be attentive though, broccoli can burn very quickly in an airfryer. About 3 minutes at 200c is enough to give it a good crunch without the heads turning black.

Advertisement