Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous Dublin pubs that are no more

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

lovehathi wrote: »
    Think Library Bar in Central hotel is gone also. Heard whole hotel is a temp accommodation now.

Either a 3 or 6 month deal from what I read - they'll be back. Its far too central to use for that use in a normal economy.

Additionally, while its nearly always the norm that the bar closes in a hotel that becomes either direct provision or homeless accom (Viking Lodge, Judge Darleys, Sunnybank, Bram Stoker, Clondalkin Towers) it isn't always the case - the bar of the Abberly in Tallaght was open as normal when the entire hotel including the nightclub was converted to a Family Hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,068 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

L1011 wrote: »
    Its extremely rare that a pub even announces its closing for good in normal circumstances. Going quietly in to the night is the norm.

I'd expect a significant number of pubs to either not reopen immediately and a fair few to vanish.

I'm terrified tbh.

In a decade that I lost Kennedy's on Burgh Quay -which I'm still not over- the thoughts of losing either of my locals for starters (The Glen in Inchicore and The Swan on York St) or indeed the other little gems around the city like Briody's on Marlborough St, Tom Kennedy's on Thomas St, Kavanagh's on New St, O'Connell's on Sth Richmond St, The Bird in Rialto, Cleary's on Amiens St and the rest of them about the place, really just doesn't bear thinking about.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

If Chaplins on Hawkins Street goes I'll be very sad. Been going there for about 4 years now. Lovely place for a week night pint or four. They had ecently got rid of Sky Sports and the like, which cut down on the football screen shouters immeasurably!

That's one of my little gems as well. Used to be a nice axis from Briody's, via Chaplins and Bowe's and crossed with Doyle's, Mulligan's and Kennedy's.

God, the Twenty-teens were great for pinting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

L1011 wrote: »
    Either a 3 or 6 month deal from what I read - they'll be back. Its far too central to use for that use in a normal economy.

Additionally, while its nearly always the norm that the bar closes in a hotel that becomes either direct provision or homeless accom (Viking Lodge, Judge Darleys, Sunnybank, Bram Stoker, Clondalkin Towers) it isn't always the case - the bar of the Abberly in Tallaght was open as normal when the entire hotel including the nightclub was converted to a Family Hub.

Apparently it was to close for a six month return and the reception centre contract replaced that. If it needed a fundamental overhaul, it will be interesting in light of significant reduction in bed nights over the foreseeable future (I’d say 5 years to build back up to 2019), whether it will still be worth the hotel investment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭juno10353

I'm terrified tbh.

In a decade that I lost Kennedy's on Burgh Quay -which I'm still not over- the thoughts of losing either of my locals for starters (The Glen in Inchicore and The Swan on York St) or indeed the other little gems around the city like Briody's on Marlborough St, Tom Kennedy's on Thomas St, Kavanagh's on New St, O'Connell's on Sth Richmond St, The Bird in Rialto, Cleary's on Amiens St and the rest of them about the place, really just doesn't bear thinking about.

Kennedys on Burgh Quay still exists, it was renovated after extensive flooding damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,085 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

juno10353 wrote: »
    Kennedys on Burgh Quay still exists, it was renovated after extensive flooding damage.

I thought it had changed to gastropub Workmans (?) I think, nothing like the old Kennedys :(

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

juno10353 wrote: »

That flood renovation was yonks ago! nothing to do with the change I speak of...

The upgrade was so well done after the flood. Exposed brick ftw.
    odyssey06 wrote: »
    I thought it had changed to gastropub Workmans (?) I think, nothing like the old Kennedys :(

Called the Workshop. Nothing like the old Kennedy's.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭juno10353

That flood renovation was yonks ago! nothing to do with the change I speak of...

The upgrade was so well done after the flood. Exposed brick ftw.

Called the Workshop. Nothing like the old Kennedy's.

Yes, well done upgrade. The Workshop, lovely food too. Still owned by Kennedy Family. Licence 100 yrs in family in 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Loved Kennedys when they just had a stack of vinyl down the back.

• Advertisement

I just ordered a load of beers from Martins in lieu of going to the pub. Sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Clon63

Aaah remember the good old days when people used to complain about pubs being shut on Good Friday and stocking up in preparation for the big day...

Now its 2020 and it's been a good 4 weeks. Looking forward to seeing the inside of an establishment again at some stage in my life - think it will be a long time befoe the pubs reopen though even as other things start to get back to normal.

Happy Good Friday! Great memories on here

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Teresa Rogers

Hi my name is Teresa Roger's my uncle Eugene Roger'o wned the pub the Bolton horse I'm not sure if he was in partnership with a paddy Granger ? My uncle eugene died in the early 70 's .Im asking if anyone remembers the pub or knows anything ,I'd just love to have any history to remember him by as he died so young aged 47.

Here it is in 1960 and it was known as "Ryan's" then:

509308.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

A possible reason the sites still empty is that the pub blew up in a insurance job/sabotage caused gas explosion that took years to resolve (in terms of people going down for it); rather than it getting rebuilt afterwards. 1982 so after the era in question

https://stillslibrary.rte.ie/indexplus/image/0727/008.html is a picture of interior damage

• Registered Users Posts: 28,994 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Hi my name is Teresa Roger's my uncle Eugene Roger'o wned the pub the Bolton horse I'm not sure if he was in partnership with a paddy Granger ? My uncle eugene died in the early 70 's .Im asking if anyone remembers the pub or knows anything ,I'd just love to have any history to remember him by as he died so young aged 47.
    You might get a wider audience for your question at this Facebook group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/dublindown

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I'm terrified tbh.

They were doing take away roast dinners yesterday so still going...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Interesting. A take away roast dinner sounds very attractive! I'll swing by on my daily sanity walk later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Just came cross this thread here. Will read through it later. Theres not many pubs in Dublin i haven't frequented over the last 20 years.

• Advertisement

That's good. Long may that continue be and it keeps it ticking over.

I can't wait to be back.

Anyone remember the Four Seasons on the corner of Capel st and Bolton St? Some aul one with a glass eye and one wonky eye used work there. Ordering pints you didnt know where to be looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Anyone remember the Four Seasons on the corner of Capel st and Bolton St? Some aul one with a glass eye and one wonky eye used work there. Ordering pints you didnt know where to be looking.

Yep I used to go there for lunch time pints when I went to college in Bolton St, back in the mid 90's

Yep I used to go there for lunch time pints when I went to college in Bolton St, back in the mid 90's

I used to be in there with the 2 lads that used play ballads on Jones Rd before all the big games. Jeweller Roe and the Kearney lad with the beard. I knew where the lads were playin any day or night of the week. Great characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Interesting. A take away roast dinner sounds very attractive! I'll swing by on my daily sanity walk later.

Not sure if it's a daily thing or just for the Easter weekend... Few spots around Dublin are doing daily carvery afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Shawnee Poole

Daly's of Eden Quay had steak house style restaurant upstairs called the Ace of Hearts in the 1960/70s. It was still there at the end of the '80s. Can't remember if they served drink upstairs or if they allowed you bring your own from the bar. The downstairs nightclub was there at the end of the '80s.

I used to be in there with the 2 lads that used play ballads on Jones Rd before all the big games. Jeweller Roe and the Kearney lad with the beard. I knew where the lads were playin any day or night of the week. Great characters.

Jeweller passed on about 2 years ago I think. I remember being in a lock-in in The Confession Box about 12/13 years ago and being in a the maddest sing-song ever with him and the rest of the locals.

There was a collection for his funeral I recall, from a poster that was up in The Celt and a subsequent chat I had with the bar man.

There's 3 lads that do the ballads though; one of them is Thommo Behan who is one of the Behans (along with the infamous brother Skinny) from my road in Lower Ballyfermot.

Jeweller passed on about 2 years ago I think. I being in a lock-in in The Confession Box about 12/13 years ago and being in a the maddest sin-song ever with him and the rest of the locals.

There was a collection for his funeral I recall, from a poster that was up in The Celt and a subsequent chat I had with the bar man.

There's 3 lads that do the ballads though; one of them is Thommo Behan who is one of the Behans (along with the infamous brother Skinny) from my road in Lower Ballyfermot.

Good stuff lad. Yeah there was three alrite. I only know the other two. Jeweller was sound as a pound. Couldnt drink for last few years of his life as liver was bolloxed. Still did the rounds every day with his guitar. Swapped the drink for the gambling. Id throw him a fiver or tenner whenever id see him. Gas man. Lovely man. I enjoy the Confession Box also. That was Jewellers main spot. Sittin over at the window. Id love a pint there now.

Jeweller passed on about 2 years ago I think. I being in a lock-in in The Confession Box about 12/13 years ago and being in a the maddest sin-song ever with him and the rest of the locals.

Yea he sadly passed away few years ago. Id see him around town in my taxi and ask him did he want a lift (for free). Was always somewhere close by. He was living off Dorset St. Think it was Henrietta St. A Dublin legend.

• Advertisement

Good stuff lad. Yeah there was three alrite. I only know the other two. Jeweller was sound as a pound. Couldnt drink for last few years of his life as liver was bolloxed. Still did the rounds every day with his guitar. Swapped the drink for the gambling. Id throw him a fiver or tenner whenever id see him. Gas man. Lovely man. I enjoy the Confession Box also. That was Jewellers main spot. Sittin over at the window. Id love a pint there now.

Was in the confession box the day of the election for the Ireland-Wales match. Feels like a decade ago now.

I much preferred the 'Box before the refurb. Terrifying spot.

Briody's would be my main haunt around that part of town.

Advertisement