Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Albums without a single bad track on them

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

Fleetwood Mac - Tusk. A double LP of 20 tracks, all killer.

Serge Gainsbourg - Histoire De Melody Nelson. 28 minutes of bliss.

Slayer - Reign In Blood. No let up from start to end. Similar length.

Nick Drake - Pink Moon. Another 28er. Not a second wasted.

ABC - The Lexicon Of Love. Perfectly programmed and performed synth pop.

Prince - Sign Of The Times. Another double, utter perfection from start to finish.

Style Council - Our Favourite Shop. Love The Jam and Weller solo but this is the peak.

Zombies - Odessey & Oracle . Enduring psych masterpiece.

Genesis - Invisible Touch
    Peter Gabriel - So
    These were on the one C90 on a 1986 summer holiday. I had no other tapes. Always associate them with each other. Invisible Touch is five pop singles + 1 and then two prog classics Domino and The Brazilian. So is a fascinating album in how it's constructed - the So DNA disc with the 2012 Super Deluxe Edition shows how it was created.

The Cure - Disintegration. There's a caveat. The LP has 10 songs but was a terrible pressing. The 12 track CD is the one to own but the extra pair are superfluous; just programme it to skip Last Dance and Homesick.

Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 85-92. Stunning debut.

Felt - The Splendour Of Fear. Six tracks, only two with lyrics. Long guitar passages.

The Fall - This Nation's Saving Grace. My first, accessible in parts with pleasant weirdness.

Pet Shop Boys - Discography. Here's how you do a compilation. Every single, in its single version, in the order they were singles. Why do so many other artists get it wrong? Greatest Hits & Best Of LPs stuffed with album versions instead of radio edits etc.

That's a wonderfully eclectic selection - hats off!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Tom Waits - Rain Dogs
    Boards of Canada - Music has the Right to Children
    Neutral Milk Hotel - Airplane over the Sea
    Jeff Buckley - Grace

Leftism, Endtroducing and Pet Sounds were great shouts

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

Prince - Sign O' the times.
    Steely Dan - Aja.
    Tom Waits - Heart of Saturday Night.
    RATM - RATM
    Public Enemy - It takes a nation of millions.
    Sly and the Family Stone - Fresh
    Nick Drake - Pink Moon.
    Pixies - Surferosa.
    Swervedriver - Mezcal Head.
    Red House Painters - Red House Painters.
    David Bowie - Hunky Dory.

Some great recommendations on the thread. Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

rkmtae-dvd-v1.jpg

It was hard to pick between this and "I love the smell of silage" but I think this is his best work

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Paul_Hacket

For me the sweet spot of records that were great all the way through was the late 70s through to the early 90s. I love tons of records from the 60s but with a few exceptions like Pet Sounds and Abbey Road most of the records from this period were fairly rushed - studio time cost a fortune in those days and all but the biggest bands couldn't afford the time to stretch out and get it right. It was also common in those days for successful bands to be expected to record two full records a year and that inevitably led to filler even by amazing bands like the Kinks.

In the 70s the rise of progressive rock and general experimentalism gave us records which contained stunning section's of music (e.g. Can's Tago Mago or a lot of the work by Kraftwerk, Eno, Bowie, etc.) but also unwieldy sections that were noble failures of experimentalism.

Below are a few I've listened to over and over and which are strong all the way through in my opinion. I haven't heard an album since the early 90s that would fall into this category to be honest. I think part of this is due to the rise of CDs and the longer playing time they allowed which often led to filler.

Funnily enough the first four records on this list were produced by Steve Albini, he seems to have a real knack for getting bands to step up in the studio and is also great at creating an atmosphere and "sound" that works all the way through a record.

Pixies - Surfer Rosa
    The Breeders - Pod
    The Wedding Present - Seamontsters
    Big Black - Atomizer
    Slint - Spiderland
    The Fall - This Nation's Saving Grace
    The Fall - Bend Sinister
    The Woodentops - Giant
    Sonic Youth - Sister
    Sonic Youth - Evol
    The Smiths - The Queen is Dead
    Butthole Surfers - Hairway to Steven
    B-52's - B-52s

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Is this thread closed off to old lads? Haven’t seen many albums post 2000 on here yet :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Pivot Eoin

Have to echo Nas - Illmatic and DJ Shadow Endtroducing

To try mention a few that havent come up:

Mylo - Destroy Rock&Roll (excellent for its time)
    Killers - Hot Fuss
    Dr.Dre - 2001 (if you remove the Intros/skits)
    Martyn - Air Between Words (For Techno Heads)
    Reflection Eternal - Train of Thought
    Gangstarr - Moment of Truth
    Kanye - Twisted Dark Faded Fantasy (on a production note)
    Vitalic - O.K Cowboy
    Paul Kalkbrenner - Berlin Calling
    Damien Rice - O
    RJD2 - Deadringer
    Air - Moon Safari
    Moby - play
    Fatboy Slim - You've Come a Long Way Baby

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

The Nymphs from 1991, they released one great album and then imploded.
    I keep thinking I'd realise one day that this album wasn't as good as I remembered.
    I still listen to it and it hasn't happened yet.
    A classic with not one duff track on it.

The_Nymphs_Eponymous_1991.png

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

My contributions to the thread:

Talking Heads - Remain in Light
    Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
    Lloyd Cole and the Commotions - Rattlesnakes
    Alabama 3 - Exile on Coldharbour Lane

Great shout on Graceland earlier, it's an album that has really stood the test of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Is this thread closed off to old lads? Haven’t seen many albums post 2000 on here yet :D:D
    Everything's Sh1te since Roy Orbison died.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Paul_Hacket

In all fairness, what would you suggest? No offence to the younger generation but there has been eff all great music made since the millenium. I just find it incredibly bland and badly produced.

A few bands like Goldfrapp have done interesting things but haven't recorded any landmark albums in my opinion. Bad hip hop, r'n'b etc. rules the roost these days.

If you think there are some contenders feel free to post em, I'd love to hear a great recent album.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

In all fairness, what would you suggest? No offence to the younger generation but there has been eff all great music made since the millenium. I just find it incredibly bland and badly produced.

A few bands like Goldfrapp have done interesting things but haven't recorded any landmark albums in my opinion. Bad hip hop, r'n'b etc. rules the roost these days.

If you think there are some contenders feel free to post em, I'd love to hear a great recent album.

The quality of music being produced is higher now then its ever been, you just have to look for the decent stuff.

The quality of music being produced is higher now then its ever been, you just have to look for the decent stuff.

It's not really though.. computers have kind of ruined it.. harmonically music is getting way more standardized too..

It's not really though.. computers have kind of ruined it.. harmonically music is getting way more standardized too..

Again id disagree there's amazing stuff that wouldn't have been imaginable in the 70s, computers make the music no more real or fake, depends what you do with the tools of choice.

Again id disagree there's amazing stuff that wouldn't have been imaginable in the 70s, computers make the music no more real or fake, depends what you do with the tools of choice.

But like, you're not going to get cream or Hendrix these days..I think computers have affected it structurally.. it's a different thing, writing on a screen as opposed to how it used to be done.. presuming of course you can play an instrument, which isn't even really required anymore.. but regarding the harmony aspect, it's been studied, it's getting way more generic across the board..

But like, you're not going to get cream or Hendrix these days..I think computers have affected it structurally.. it's a different thing, writing on a screen as opposed to how it used to be done.. presuming of course you can play an instrument, which isn't even really required anymore.. but regarding the harmony aspect, it's been studied, it's getting way more generic across the board..

Yes but these studys are focusing on what's popular over time which is becoming more simpler as the science rather then the art of the simple catchy song gets better overtime, that's what sells more, which is more the fault of the casual listener then whose who create music,.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Fair point. I’m in my mid 20s and I actually mostly listen to 80s/90s music.

If you’re a DJ/electronic fan the likes of Calvin Harris - Motion (2014) and I created Disco (2007)
    Other:
    Imagine Dragons’ albums
    Killers - all albums
    Kanye West - College Dropout (2004)
    Kanye West - Late Registration (2005)
    Kanye West - Graduation
    Kanye West - My beautiful dark twisted fantasy (2010)
    Drake - Take Care (2011)
    Justin Timberlake - justified (2002)
    A$AP Rocky - long. Live. A$AP (2013)
    Gorillaz - Plastic Beach (2010)
    Gorillaz - Demon days
    Black eyed peas -
    Rihanna - good girl gone bad (2007)
    The 1975, ‘I Like It When You Sleep, For You Are So Beautiful Yet So Unaware Of It’ (2018)
    1975 - a brief enquiry into online relationships (2018)

Arctic monkeys - AM (2013)
    James blunt - back to bedlam (2003)
    Coldplay - head full of dreams (2015)
    Razorlight - razorlight (2006)

The Kooks - great band any current mid 40/50s/60s dad can appreciate :)
    Green Day - American idiot
    Vampire weekend - vampire weekend

As much as it pains me to say it as I can’t stand her - Taylor swift 1989 album
    MGMT - oracular spectacular
    Daft punk - discovery
    Post Malone - Hollywood’s bleedin (2019) & beer bongs and bentleys (2018)

David guetta - notbing but the beat (2011) and One Love (2009

Eminem - recovery
    Timbaland - shock value (2011)
    One republic - brilliant band
    Paolo Nutini
    Snow Patrol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

ac/dc - highway to hell
    wynton kelly - wynton kelly
    miles davis - kind of blue
    gabor gzabo - in dreams
    willie nelson - red headed stranger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

The Darkness - Permission To Land
    Post Malone - Stoney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Chicoso

Dexys - searching for the Young.soul rebels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Pivot Eoin wrote: »
    Air - Moon Safari

Yes! On this note:
    Royksopp - Melody AM
    Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Janis Ian - Between the Lines

• Registered Users Posts: 18,905 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Well, the time of classic "albums" is pretty much over, isn't it? The was a golden age, from the 60's to the 90's, where the album was king. People charted a band's rise and fall through their album output.

The thing is, a lot of today's good albums, where there isn't "a single bad track on them" are probably very few and far between. Although I say that as someone who finds it harder and harder to find albums that I can put on and listen to straight true these days.

I think the last, most recent, ones were Australian punks like Amyl and the Sniffers or The Chats. But how long they'll live in my playlist is another matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Zaph wrote: »
    My contributions to the thread:

Talking Heads - Remain in Light
    Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
    Lloyd Cole and the Commotions - Rattlesnakes
    Alabama 3 - Exile on Coldharbour Lane

Great shout on Graceland earlier, it's an album that has really stood the test of time.

Big shout for Lloyd Cole. Brilliant work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

Whittled down from a much bigger list!

Beatles – Revolver
    Beatles – Abbey Road
    Yo La Tengo – I Can Hear the Heart Beating As One
    Grant Lee Buffalo – Fuzzy
    Pixies – Doolittle
    Smiths – Queen is Dead
    Go-Betweens – 16 Lovers Lane
    Nick Cave – Henrys Dream
    Ride – Nowhere
    Kiasmos – Kiasmos
    The Jam – All Mod Cons
    My Bloody Valentine – Loveless
    The Strokes – Is this It?
    Arcade Fire – Funeral
    The Stone Roses – The Stone Roses
    Radiohead – In Rainbows
    Rolling Stones – Let it Bleed
    The National – Boxer
    David Bowie – Ziggy Stardust
    Stevie Wonder - Innervisions

Heaven And Hell - Meatloaf and Bonnie Tyler

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I have accumulated many albums over the years in various formats, but there are very few where I would like every single track. Some came close with maybe just one dud track.

Here are the ones I can think of (at the moment) where I liked every single track:
    Dark Side of The Moon - Pink Floyd
    Going for The One - Yes
    A Walk Across The Rooftops - The Blue Nile

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Ambulance LTD - LP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I have accumulated many albums over the years in various formats, but there are very few where I would like every single track. Some came close with maybe just one dud track.

Here are the ones I can think of (at the moment) where I liked every single track:
    Dark Side of The Moon - Pink Floyd
    Going for The One - Yes
    A Walk Across The Rooftops - The Blue Nile

Blue Nile Hats is savage too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,836 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

The Cure - Disintegration. There's a caveat. The LP has 10 songs but was a terrible pressing. The 12 track CD is the one to own but the extra pair are superfluous; just programme it to skip Last Dance and Homesick.

No way, both are great songs.

Advertisement